Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Woah, thanks for all the good tips. I've seen plenty of Tissot around and I'm sure I've had some of it here and there. I'll have to check around for a lot of the others. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
I have to pick up a bottle of Tokaji in a pinch for a tasting tonight, I basically have a choice between the following:

2007 Disznoko Tokaji Aszu 5 Puttonyos
Chateau Megyer Tokaji Aszu 5 Puttonyos
Chateau Megyer Tokaji Aszu 6 Puttonyos
The Royal Tokaji Wine Company Blue-Red Label Tokaji Aszu 5 Puttonyos

Any preference? The Megyer is the easiest to get as I'm already stopping by Total for some other stuff, but it's all basically the same price and if one of the others is better enough I can probably justify another stop.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Based on what I've heard and read (I drink pretty much exclusivly Oremus) I'd go with either the Diznoko 5 Puttonyos or the Megyer 5 Puttonyos.

mikeh269
Mar 26, 2007

I am the English Stereotype.

himajinga posted:

I have to pick up a bottle of Tokaji in a pinch for a tasting tonight, I basically have a choice between the following:

2007 Disznoko Tokaji Aszu 5 Puttonyos
Chateau Megyer Tokaji Aszu 5 Puttonyos
Chateau Megyer Tokaji Aszu 6 Puttonyos
The Royal Tokaji Wine Company Blue-Red Label Tokaji Aszu 5 Puttonyos

Any preference? The Megyer is the easiest to get as I'm already stopping by Total for some other stuff, but it's all basically the same price and if one of the others is better enough I can probably justify another stop.

I was in Tokaj last May - Royal Tokaji is good as the wines are very reliable and all are solid examples of the Tokaji style but Disznoko was good from what I remember.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I'd get the Disznoko, but none of those are likely to disappoint. Just be aware that the 6 puttonyos will be a fair bit sweeter than the others, and Royal Tokaji tend to be a bit more oxidized in style than the Disznoko and the Megyer wines.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So I had this last night and it was interesting.

I'd just had Crozes Hermitage not too long ago so it was easy to note some similarities, especially the complex/spicy mid-palate despite being a much heavier wine. It needed a few hours airing before it opened up at all, and it had a very burning finish which I did not like, but still was an interesting bottle. :)

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
How did you even come across that? Where do you live out of curiousity? I didn't know Graillot had a Moroccan project. Weird.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Tokyo. :iiam:

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Thanks for the advice, I ended up being lazy and getting the '93 Megyer 5 puttonyos as it didn't require a separate trip. It definitely didn't dissapoint and ended up being someone's WOTN.

A group of friends and I are going through the Great Courses Series Everyday Guide to Wine and are enjoying it so far, especially since it's free from the library. Has anyone in the thread seen it and have an opinion other than that Jennifer Simonetti-Bryan has the worst case of crazy-eyes ever? :shepface:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Overwined posted:

Woah, thanks for all the good tips. I've seen plenty of Tissot around and I'm sure I've had some of it here and there. I'll have to check around for a lot of the others. Thanks.

I'd add a few here to look for, though prices may vary a little. $25 is kinda hard in the Jura, given how hard it is to grow and ripen grapes there, and despite low land prices. Going to $30 will double your selection, I reckon.

Jacques Puffeney (super solid, surprised no mention by Kasumeat, entry bottlings can be found for $25)
Domaine des Marnes Blanche (Selection Massale import, very terroir focused, En Levrette is a nice bottling at $28ish)
Caves Jean Bourdy (heavy cask aging before release, at least for the region, and a really great bubbly)
Dom des Bodines (Selection Massale again, fantastic bubbles, young, huge quality leap in 2012)
Dom de la Tournelle (a posterchild for the natural thing in the Jura since mid 2000s, do lots to help young winemakers, a big part of the resurgence of Jura love among the geeky imo, and importantly always super solid wines)
Les Dolomies (young folks, new guard, SM import)

I'd also really agree with Tissot, Pierre Richard, and of course Bornard.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Sorry for double post... My dad just texted me a picture of a wine that one of his suppliers gave him for his birthday. I guess he must buy a lot from this supplier. A lot! Apparently we're drinking this next Christmas. I'm not even really sure how to react, but I'm very excited to cross something off the bucket list! Has anyone here had any DRC? Thoughts? What am I to look for in burgundy this old? I'm fairly used to drinking older wine, but by that I mean the 10-20 year range rather than at this point. Any suggestions for opening procedure, etc? Currently thinking to stand it up in the cellar a few weeks before serving, bring upstairs the night before and stand overnight, slow-ox a la Audouze, no decant, and to pour very slowly/carefully. I often use a pourer with a coarse filter to remove sediment and add some oxygen on the pop and pours but can't see doing that here. Especially given the, erm, difficult vintage of 1960.

pork never goes bad fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 30, 2015

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I have had La Tache and Richebourg, but neither particularly old. I can't see your linked picture, so which vineyard are we talking about here?

I would definitely say let is it stand for a couple weeks. There will be a lot of sentiment**, but this you know. I personally wouldn't use a sifter or strainer of any kind, but would just candlelight decant. The few older 1970s and older Burgs I have had need like 10 minutes of air and it feels like 30 is almost too much. I personally would suggest the double-tong openers AKA Butler's Best Friend.

**letting this stand as a testament to my idiocy.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 29, 2015

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

It's romanee conti, 1960. I'll try to fix the picture shortly. Thanks for the tips, I always use butlers friend for old wine, though the bottle agitation on tough corks sometimes feels too much. I have plenty of time to figure this out... As a wine drinker with my own money, and with not as much of it as some, DRC is something more than a rare treat so I'm excited to try.

On a separate note, do let us know about your experience exploring the Jura. Some lovely wines, but definitely different.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Here you go.

I got a tour of the wine cellar at a nice restaurant a few weeks ago, got to hold a bottle of 1989 (I think) of DRCRC. I never thought I'd hold one, still don't think I'll ever taste one. Happy birthday to your dad, cheers to you both. Oh and merry Christmas.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

pork never goes bad posted:

It's romanee conti, 1960. I'll try to fix the picture shortly. Thanks for the tips, I always use butlers friend for old wine, though the bottle agitation on tough corks sometimes feels too much.

You could always use port tongs to open it, specially designed for getting truly ancient corks out.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
Yeah at that age I would actually recommend tonging over an ah-so/butler's friend. I honestly wouldn't expect the latter to work, that cork's likely liquid by now. Maybe if you have a Durand.

I'd add a few here to look for, though prices may vary a little. $25 is kinda hard in the Jura, given how hard it is to grow and ripen grapes there, and despite low land prices. Going to $30 will double your selection, I reckon.

Jacques Puffeney (super solid, surprised no mention by Kasumeat, entry bottlings can be found for $25)
Domaine des Marnes Blanche (Selection Massale import, very terroir focused, En Levrette is a nice bottling at $28ish)
Caves Jean Bourdy (heavy cask aging before release, at least for the region, and a really great bubbly)
Dom des Bodines (Selection Massale again, fantastic bubbles, young, huge quality leap in 2012)
Dom de la Tournelle (a posterchild for the natural thing in the Jura since mid 2000s, do lots to help young winemakers, a big part of the resurgence of Jura love among the geeky imo, and importantly always super solid wines)
Les Dolomies (young folks, new guard, SM import)

I'd also really agree with Tissot, Pierre Richard, and of course Bornard.

Forgot about Bourdy! I met the winemaker and my favourite quote from him was "we are not California, we don't make these fruity wines which are made to be drunk in less than a hundred years."

Never had Puffeney, no agents import to Ontario and we can't do private orders. :(

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Speaking of old Burgundy, and I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but this was one of the best birthday presents I ever received. Younger wine drinkers: if you've never had a wine from your birth year start looking NOW. It gets more difficult over time and I think it's an experience every wine lover should have at least once in his or her life. There was probably a good year for something somewhere whenever you were born .

I opened this in 2011 myself with a waiter's corkscrew. No real problems and the cork was in great shape. Sediment wasn't a major problem and it was a real delight after it rested for 15-20 minutes.

I've never used port tongs and don't really want to buy a set--has anyone ever used this method with a different tool or piece of common scrap metal? I'm thinking of trying something like a coat hanger this weekend as an experiment on an empty bottle for a fun McGyver/DIY project. I've done the trick with a string and nail polish remover to make tumblers but couldn't get an even cut.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

benito posted:

Speaking of old Burgundy, and I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but this was one of the best birthday presents I ever received. Younger wine drinkers: if you've never had a wine from your birth year start looking NOW. It gets more difficult over time and I think it's an experience every wine lover should have at least once in his or her life. There was probably a good year for something somewhere whenever you were born .

I opened this in 2011 myself with a waiter's corkscrew. No real problems and the cork was in great shape. Sediment wasn't a major problem and it was a real delight after it rested for 15-20 minutes.

I've never used port tongs and don't really want to buy a set--has anyone ever used this method with a different tool or piece of common scrap metal? I'm thinking of trying something like a coat hanger this weekend as an experiment on an empty bottle for a fun McGyver/DIY project. I've done the trick with a string and nail polish remover to make tumblers but couldn't get an even cut.

I have an alert on K&L for 1982 wines for this specific reason but it was such a good year for most varietals that are long-lived that the prices are already astronomical :( Well, too expensive to justify right now at least.
E: Is it worth rolling the dice on something in the 90-91pt range this old for between $100-300?

Actually, something like this could be a good compromise I suppose.
http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=950041

himajinga fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 29, 2015

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

himajinga posted:

I have an alert on K&L for 1982 wines for this specific reason but it was such a good year for most varietals that are long-lived that the prices are already astronomical :( Well, too expensive to justify right now at least.

I didn't think it was ever going to happen for me--there are no retail establishments here in Memphis that sell really old vintages, and there aren't a lot of collectors around here (plus, no wine auction scene, something that in general doesn't interest me). On top of that, until recently you couldn't have wine shipped here legally.

The guy who gave me the bottle is a dear friend of the family (he and my father grew up together as close friends) who works in distribution and taught me a lot about the subject in my 20s. At some point during a tasting I mentioned that it would be interesting to try a wine from my birth year, and I never brought it up to him again. Ten years later he invited my family over for a dinner party and surprised me with it after the main course. My name is Ben, but for some reason he's always called me Bentley. "Bentley, I finally found your birth wine!" I'm not sure how he got it but I certainly appreciated it.

I've kept the bottle and cork. If I'm still alive in 2076 I'm going to fill it with cheap plonk and sell it to some idiot. Screw it, you can do whatever you want when you're 100 years old. ;)

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

benito posted:

I didn't think it was ever going to happen for me--there are no retail establishments here in Memphis that sell really old vintages, and there aren't a lot of collectors around here (plus, no wine auction scene, something that in general doesn't interest me). On top of that, until recently you couldn't have wine shipped here legally.

The guy who gave me the bottle is a dear friend of the family (he and my father grew up together as close friends) who works in distribution and taught me a lot about the subject in my 20s. At some point during a tasting I mentioned that it would be interesting to try a wine from my birth year, and I never brought it up to him again. Ten years later he invited my family over for a dinner party and surprised me with it after the main course. My name is Ben, but for some reason he's always called me Bentley. "Bentley, I finally found your birth wine!" I'm not sure how he got it but I certainly appreciated it.

I've kept the bottle and cork. If I'm still alive in 2076 I'm going to fill it with cheap plonk and sell it to some idiot. Screw it, you can do whatever you want when you're 100 years old. ;)

Haha I know I'd probably love it, but I just have this weird subconscious fear that somehow it wouldn't be that great and I'd be really disappointed. My partner and I were born the same year so maybe I can justify spending the money knowing it's a bottle for her birth year too. She finished her masters program and finally got a job in her field last month so we're back to 2 incomes after almost 3 years, so maybe I'll start squirreling some money away now to splurge and get her a birth year bottle for her birthday in July as sort of a halfway Homer gift (she's who got me into wine, so she'd be thrilled too I imagine).

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

himajinga posted:

Haha I know I'd probably love it, but I just have this weird subconscious fear that somehow it wouldn't be that great and I'd be really disappointed. My partner and I were born the same year so maybe I can justify spending the money knowing it's a bottle for her birth year too. She finished her masters program and finally got a job in her field last month so we're back to 2 incomes after almost 3 years, so maybe I'll start squirreling some money away now to splurge and get her a birth year bottle for her birthday in July as sort of a halfway Homer gift (she's who got me into wine, so she'd be thrilled too I imagine).

I'll be honest, my first sip after pouring was not great, but I was so excited about just getting the opportunity that I didn't care. When it finally opened up it was fantastic, but not the best wine I've ever had. And it was kind of dead after an hour. Still a cherished memory and I'm so glad I got to try it.

Right now my wine goal is to hit 200 different grapes. I'm kind of stuck at 194, especially since I deal with a lot of free samples and have no real drive to go out and pay for wine when there are twenty bottles at home waiting for notes. And I pretty much exhausted the obscure varieties available in the Memphis market years ago. There was a time when I'd try five new grapes on a single weekend, and now it's once every couple of months.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

himajinga posted:

E: Is it worth rolling the dice on something in the 90-91pt range this old for between $100-300?

Actually, something like this could be a good compromise I suppose.
http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=950041

K&L have a ton of 1982 wine that looks great in that range, including some at the bottom end. The Pontet-Canet for 200, the Couly-Dutheil magnum for 125 if you like Chinon, the Bodegas Olarra Rioja at 100 is a great deal... I may actually pick up a bottle or 2 of that Rioja myself!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Hi wine thread :wave:

bartolimu graciously allowed me to crosspost this offer from SA-Mart. If you're interested, come let me know in my SA-Mart thread!

pig slut lisa posted:

As part of an order from Shutterfly, I received a voucher from a website called nakedwines.com. The voucher is worth $100 off of any case valued at least $160. Also you get free shipping! Here is the card:

Here's "How to spend your $100"
1) Go to us.nakedwines.com/[REDACTED]
2) Register your unique code (see other side)
3) Get $100 off any case of wine priced at $160 or more
4) Delivery included
5) Your money back if you are not totally tantalized :wiggle:

Cases may include 6, 12, or 15 bottles of wine. You need to be 21 years old. Also I would suggest checking to see if there are any peculiarities to shipping to your state (I'm in IL and there was one case that can't ship here for some reason, but all the others were ok).

I'm asking $50 on this voucher. Let me know if you're interested!

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I'm not sure that's worth $50, or even anything. I get about 2 of those vouchers a week in the packaging from online orders, along with the leaflets advertising Amazon Prime and charity subscriptions. They're basically just spam.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

Sorry for double post... My dad just texted me a picture of a wine that one of his suppliers gave him for his birthday. I guess he must buy a lot from this supplier. A lot! Apparently we're drinking this next Christmas. I'm not even really sure how to react, but I'm very excited to cross something off the bucket list! Has anyone here had any DRC? Thoughts? What am I to look for in burgundy this old? I'm fairly used to drinking older wine, but by that I mean the 10-20 year range rather than at this point. Any suggestions for opening procedure, etc? Currently thinking to stand it up in the cellar a few weeks before serving, bring upstairs the night before and stand overnight, slow-ox a la Audouze, no decant, and to pour very slowly/carefully. I often use a pourer with a coarse filter to remove sediment and add some oxygen on the pop and pours but can't see doing that here. Especially given the, erm, difficult vintage of 1960.

That should be interesting. Difficult year, I think they only were able to bottle Romanee-Conti and La Tache that year. It's going to be very fragile, definitely do not decant. Pour holding the bottle in the same direction every time, and use a candle to pour when you're getting low to watch the sediment. The bottles aren't meant to collect sediment in the shoulder like Bordeaux bottles so be careful, it's really easy to pour out a bunch of sediment quickly from a Burgundy bottle. If you're skilled with an Ah-so that's one way to uncork it. However the Durand is a little more foolproof. They''re a little steep though to buy for one bottle.

Had plenty of DRC, never seen a 1960 though. I've never even heard of the Audouze method (or at least never heard it called that), but I certainly wouldn't recommend it for such a light year and fragile wine. I strongly doubt that wine needs any more contact with oxygen. It's ready to go.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

K&L have a ton of 1982 wine that looks great in that range, including some at the bottom end. The Pontet-Canet for 200, the Couly-Dutheil magnum for 125 if you like Chinon, the Bodegas Olarra Rioja at 100 is a great deal... I may actually pick up a bottle or 2 of that Rioja myself!

Cool, I'm just now dipping my toes into learning about French wine, what is Chinon like? Do you have suggestion for a decently available drink-now Chinon that exhibits typicity so I can get an idea of what to expect?

That Rioja is really tempting, I might pick up a couple myself. Tempranillo is really weird for me, I don't often like the younger WA Tempranillos, Crianzas or many of Reservas that I've tried but I've never had a Gran Reserva I didn't love, even ones that are relatively inexpensive. That grape just needs extra time/oak for me I guess.

himajinga fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 30, 2015

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

himajinga posted:

Cool, I'm just now dipping my toes into learning about French wine, what is Chinon like? Do you have suggestion for a decently available drink-now Chinon that exhibits typicity so I can get an idea of what to expect?

Light-to-medium bodied, high acidity and firm, green tannins. Fresh tart red, dark red, and blue fruit. Often carbonic but certainly not always. Quite floral and extremely herbaceous, with prominent green bell pepper notes. One of the most mineral red wines on the planet. New oak almost never a factor. Can't really comment on what's available in the US, but fortunately it's one of the most consistent regions in style in the world, with carbonic being the only major stylistic difference in wines at similar quality levels, super-premium oaky cuvees aside. Spend $15-25 and you'll be safe. Dom Charles Joguet and Maison Couly-Dutheil are the benchmark producers.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Kasumeat posted:

Light-to-medium bodied, high acidity and firm, green tannins. Fresh tart red, dark red, and blue fruit. Often carbonic but certainly not always. Quite floral and extremely herbaceous, with prominent green bell pepper notes. One of the most mineral red wines on the planet. New oak almost never a factor. Can't really comment on what's available in the US, but fortunately it's one of the most consistent regions in style in the world, with carbonic being the only major stylistic difference in wines at similar quality levels, super-premium oaky cuvees aside. Spend $15-25 and you'll be safe. Dom Charles Joguet and Maison Couly-Dutheil are the benchmark producers.

Thanks, the shop around the corner from my place has a 2009 Dom Charles Joguet Cuvee Terroir for $22 that I can pick up on my way home.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
So I don't really know poo poo about wine other than it's cool to drink. I opened a bottle of port tonight, it has a resealable cap/cork.

How long will it stay good lying on its side under my bar (cool and dark so should be good, right)? Should I put it in fridge instead?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Bernard Baudry is another good name in Chinon. K&L has 2013 Les Granges currently. You could also try Philipe Alliet from K&L.

That said, I'm not sure which K&L you're by, but if you're in the Bay Area and you like the bottle of Joguet you should try to get out to Kermit Lynch's store in Berkeley as they have a few other Joguet cuvees, and a couple great Baudry cuvees and the staff there would be able to give great recommendations.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Nooner posted:

So I don't really know poo poo about wine other than it's cool to drink. I opened a bottle of port tonight, it has a resealable cap/cork.

How long will it stay good lying on its side under my bar (cool and dark so should be good, right)? Should I put it in fridge instead?

It depends on the Port, but generally speaking most are pretty sturdy and will last about a week, although they will change day-to-day. Store it upright (less liquid surface area = less oxidation) in the fridge.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

Nooner posted:

If it's a tawny style it'll last for quite awhile, like several weeks to months depending on the quality. Sounds like it is tawny from your description of the resealable cap/cork. It should be a little nutty, like cooked hazelnuts/almonds, with caramel and dried fig, with a orange/caramel color to it. If it's actually a ruby style, then it's darker in color, more fruity, less of that dried out quality and more like a cherry chocolate truffle. These will only go a week or so at best before turning.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I'd always heard a couple of days for wine, and a couple of weeks for port, but a sommelier acquaintance of mine recently told me that port can last a good few months to half a year. Apparently he knows his poo poo, but take it with a grain of salt I guess.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

Biomute posted:

I'd always heard a couple of days for wine, and a couple of weeks for port, but a sommelier acquaintance of mine recently told me that port can last a good few months to half a year. Apparently he knows his poo poo, but take it with a grain of salt I guess.

See one post above you. I can be your new sommelier acquaintance! I may or may not know my poo poo, I'll find out March 2nd.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Tip with the Port: if you're not serving a large group, spend whatever you were going to pay on a half bottle. The $30 half bottle is going to be better and you'll finish it before it loses its charm as opposed to the $30 750mL bottle.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Bernard Baudry is another good name in Chinon. K&L has 2013 Les Granges currently. You could also try Philipe Alliet from K&L.

That said, I'm not sure which K&L you're by, but if you're in the Bay Area and you like the bottle of Joguet you should try to get out to Kermit Lynch's store in Berkeley as they have a few other Joguet cuvees, and a couple great Baudry cuvees and the staff there would be able to give great recommendations.

Thanks, unfortunately I'm not actually near a K&L since I live in Seattle, but their selection is probably the best browsable one online for benchmarking what is around/available so I peruse it from time to time and have considered getting a case shipped up to me once I have enough things picked out that I can't get otherwise.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

himajinga posted:

Thanks, unfortunately I'm not actually near a K&L since I live in Seattle, but their selection is probably the best browsable one online for benchmarking what is around/available so I peruse it from time to time and have considered getting a case shipped up to me once I have enough things picked out that I can't get otherwise.

You go to Vif yet? I'd be excited about that place if I were in Seattle!

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

You go to Vif yet? I'd be excited about that place if I were in Seattle!

Somehow I didn't know about it! I'll have to check it out! I need to get over my apprehension of talking wine with strangers.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Anyone have a suggestion for some decent but inexpensive ($10-25ish?) white Graves or Pessac-Leognan names? Don't really have any experience with the whites of Bordeaux at all and am trying to get 2 or 3 for an exploratory tasting to rectify that this Thursday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

himajinga posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for some decent but inexpensive ($10-25ish?) white Graves or Pessac-Leognan names? Don't really have any experience with the whites of Bordeaux at all and am trying to get 2 or 3 for an exploratory tasting to rectify that this Thursday.

The oaked style of white Bordeaux I assume you're looking for is weird: it's hard to find for less than $30, but you only have to pay $50 for all but the absolutely most expensive examples. R de Rieussec and Clos Floridene are great values around $30, and Ch de Launay is my favourite of the ~$20 examples.