Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
welp. lodi albarino & garnacha for rose coming in thursday. here we go 2019 x_x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

idiotsavant posted:

welp. lodi albarino & garnacha for rose coming in thursday. here we go 2019 x_x

How was 2019 as a CA vintage? I trust it wasn’t quite as ridiculously hot as France

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
We had a super long, super wet winter. It’s been a really weird year. I buy fruit and work a regular job so I don’t get out to the vineyards nearly as much as I like, and the Bay Area has been 65 degrees and overcast basically all year long so any sense I have of weather is hosed right now.

Some vineyards saw a ton of mildew pressure and uneven fruit set from rain & weather, some vineyards with the right location & exposures will probably have a nice year cause they can really nail their pick timing, and some vineyards seem like they might come in hot & heavy.

Lodi in particular was hot as gently caress last week and it’s supposed to be pretty hot this week, too. But I’m getting fruit from other areas, too, that show more normal timing. Idk... not a disaster year like 2011? with the frost, just a weird one.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My interest in piqued, what's a reductive Aussie Chard that gets good distribution in the US and not high $?

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
No at all certain about US prices or distribution, but the best example would be Wolf Blass: mass-produced, widely-available, better than all but the very best American Chardonnay, and Gold Label sells for less than $20 USD here in Ontario and White Label for less than $35. Don't scoff if you haven't had it lately, the wine is unrecognisable from its earlier iterations.

These are other producers selling Chard between $15-40 AUD I'd recommend in approximate rising quality:

Evans & Tate
Evoi
Domaine Naturaliste
Voyager Estate
Wynn's
Coldstream Hills
Shaw & Smith
Garagiste

Kasumeat fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 22, 2019

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Some stuff I tried this past week:
- The wine subreddit wasn't kidding when they recommended Concha y Toro Frontera for wines under $20. The merlot and cabernet sauvignon were really good for being less than $6, and I wanna get more bottles for daily drinking.

- I had a couple of glasses of Rocca Trebbiano d'Abruzzo with some formaggio tomino and enjoyed this very much. I liked it much better than the sauvignon blanc I posted about a couple of weeks ago - maybe because it didn't seem to be as acidic to me. Is Trebbiano d'Abruzzo generally considered to be acidic?

- The zinfandel I mentioned before that I wanted to try seemed to go really well with some ragu, and got a thumbs up from all my friends who tried it that evening. Definitely going to get more of this.

e: Was just reading up on the Judgement of Paris and found the whole thing incredibly fascinating. Whatever happened to the film Spurrier was working on when he criticized Bottle Shock for its authenticity? Has it been released?

anakha fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 26, 2019

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

anakha posted:

Some stuff I tried this past week:
- The wine subreddit wasn't kidding when they recommended Concha y Toro Frontera for wines under $20. The merlot and cabernet sauvignon were really good for being less than $6, and I wanna get more bottles for daily drinking.

- I had a couple of glasses of Rocca Trebbiano d'Abruzzo with some formaggio tomino and enjoyed this very much. I liked it much better than the sauvignon blanc I posted about a couple of weeks ago - maybe because it didn't seem to be as acidic to me. Is Trebbiano d'Abruzzo generally considered to be acidic?

- The zinfandel I mentioned before that I wanted to try seemed to go really well with some ragu, and got a thumbs up from all my friends who tried it that evening. Definitely going to get more of this.

e: Was just reading up on the Judgement of Paris and found the whole thing incredibly fascinating. Whatever happened to the film Spurrier was working on when he criticized Bottle Shock for its authenticity? Has it been released?

Trebbiano d'Abruzzo is generally made primarily from the Trebbiano Toscano grape, which is a naturally high in acid and known for being one of the most insipid grapes on the planet. However, it's becoming more typical to see examples that are moderate in acid, especially since every vintage from 2015 onward was extremely hot in almost all of Europe. It falls in the category of neutral white wine, and you're very lucky to enjoy wines in this style, because it's one of the cheapest and most easy-to-find categories of wine in the world. The majority of inexpensive white wines from pretty much anywhere in the world that aren't Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, or Chardonnay will be more or less in this style.

There hasn't been any word on Spurrier's film in over a decade; it's pretty safe to assume it's not happening. Bottle Shock is indeed extremely inaccurate. The worst is probably that they don't mention the winemaker at Montelena (Mike Grgich), though apparently that was Mike's choice.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Haha, Bottle Shock was loving terrible. Just totally lovely and bad and wrong

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Constellation Brands appears to have 'lost' a vineyard's 19k gallons of product.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
It doesn’t sound lost, it sounds destroyed. Not sure why the grower didn’t lawyer up from the get-go

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
‘14 Hubert Lignier is drinking really quite good right now. The Morey St Denis 1er VV and the same Les Chaffots are fantastic.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

My uncle passed away a couple of months ago and as part of the disposal of his things, my cousins were given this bottle. Is this still good to go?

E: My dad was just handed this bottle, and the label doesn't indicate the vintage. Any way I can check to see if this is still good as well?

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 31, 2019

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Just look it up on cellartracker. I would t get your hopes up tho. Just open them with dinner and see if they’re good

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Almost certainly yes and yes provided they've been stored well. But then I like really old poo poo

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Furious Lobster posted:

‘14 Hubert Lignier is drinking really quite good right now. The Morey St Denis 1er VV and the same Les Chaffots are fantastic.

Our mutual friend posted about your wine experiences; how was the Benetiere?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Ochota Barrels The Slint Vineyard Chardonnay was really nice, 30 min after opening it had that gunpowder thing I love in a white, but it only lasted another 30 minutes or so. The rest of the wine was citrus, floral and tropical with really good balance.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

got off on a technicality posted:

Our mutual friend posted about your wine experiences; how was the Benetiere?

Started out a bit odd without any of the great character points of the previous vintages. After a couple of hours it definitely opened up and had some great clear fruit showing with a bit of a tang. Would advise to get a few bottles.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Furious Lobster posted:

Started out a bit odd without any of the great character points of the previous vintages. After a couple of hours it definitely opened up and had some great clear fruit showing with a bit of a tang. Would advise to get a few bottles.

Cool thank you. I have a few coming from Panzer

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

That B&G red I posted about last week was opened a day later for lunch and did taste just fine.

Had my first taste of riesling when i tried two different bottles of the dry variety over this past week, one from Pfalz and one from Rheingau. The former felt very well-balanced and was a delight to drink, the latter had quite a bit more acidity that would have bordered on unpleasant for me if drunk alone but paired well with the fattiness in fried chicken and japchae. I now get the refreshing aspect of white wines with higher acidity.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

anakha posted:

Had my first taste of riesling when i tried two different bottles of the dry variety over this past week, one from Pfalz and one from Rheingau. The former felt very well-balanced and was a delight to drink, the latter had quite a bit more acidity that would have bordered on unpleasant for me if drunk alone but paired well with the fattiness in fried chicken and japchae. I now get the refreshing aspect of white wines with higher acidity.

Nice; have you tried Austrian rieslings? I've had a couple of great experiences with Nikolaihof, most recently last night with fried chicken

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Nice; have you tried Austrian rieslings? I've had a couple of great experiences with Nikolaihof, most recently last night with fried chicken

Sadly, Austrian rieslings appear to be difficult to find in my corner of the globe - the only Austrian wines I could find are called Grüner Veltliner - these would be most similar I guess to Sauvignon Blanc?

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Gruner is a pretty unique grape, I can't think of a single grape it's similar to. Definitely not much like Sauvignon Blanc except for the light, neutral styles which share a slight herbal tone with neutral styles of Sauvignon Blanc. Riper styles are fat and oily and rich. Pinot Gris would be the best comparison. The former style is much more common and the richer style becomes more common as you go up in price.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Real good Gruner smells like a fresh pair of Jordans. I fuckin' love it.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm going to Vienna soon, any Rieslings I should seek out? I generally only like totally dry ones, I look at the % alc and don't buy below 12%. We have a 1 day excursion booked to the Wachau valley, some preset wineries included.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Austrian Rieslings are pretty much exclusively dry, with the exception of those which are (unambiguously) very sweet.

The local co-op Domane Wachau is considered one of the world's great co-ops and equal to all but the very best producers. Other big names in Austrian Riesling (not exclusively Wachau) are Knoll, Brundlmayer, Prager, Schloss Gobelsburg, Nikolaihof, and Pichler (both FX and Rudi).

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Halfway through harvest; brought in Garnacha last week and Sierra Foothills Merlot on Sunday. This harvest has definitely been a weird one, just feels like everything's moving a million miles an hour but without some of the cues that might tip off a hot & heavy season. The main vineyard I source from probably has like 70% of their fruit in at this point, which is kinda nutty.

Everything looking good so far, though, ferments all smell happy and the rose smells fantastic. Definitely not as good a vintage as 2018 (tho it might be in a few of the right places), but looking like it'll turn out pretty decent in the end.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Domaine Saint-Cyr's Pet Nat rose is gorgeous and on shelves now, if yall are down with a sparkling Gamay rose that drinks like Basque cider cofermented with peach juice. It loving rules.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

prayer group posted:

Domaine Saint-Cyr's Pet Nat rose is gorgeous and on shelves now, if yall are down with a sparkling Gamay rose that drinks like Basque cider cofermented with peach juice. It loving rules.

Jesus, I love every part of that description, and apparently it's available just across the street from me. Gonna go pick some up.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I do love the richer style of Gruner; I’ve found it can be surprisingly similar to good white Burg

Kasumeat posted:

The local co-op Domane Wachau is considered one of the world's great co-ops and equal to all but the very best producers. Other big names in Austrian Riesling (not exclusively Wachau) are Knoll, Brundlmayer, Prager, Schloss Gobelsburg, Nikolaihof, and Pichler (both FX and Rudi).

FWIW other than Nikolaihof I’ve had good experiences with Knoll and FX Pichler. Will have to source some Domaine Wachau

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Opened a Rioja red today, and I wanted to ask something about its aroma.

What causes a red wine to have a meaty, kind of sausage-like scent? Is it soil, whatever was used to store the wine, or something in the aging process? I was a little put off at first at smelling smoked sausage in a glass of wine, but I quickly got used to it.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

anakha posted:

What causes a red wine to have a meaty, kind of sausage-like scent?
I don’t have any experience with Rioja other than Lopez de Heredia so take this with big grain of salt

It’s possible that you could be smelling reduction, which is the result of winemaking choices that might reduce the exposure of the wine to air/oxygen. I think stressed ferments can also create reductive aromas (see big discussion upthread)

One other possibility is brettanomyces, a spoilage yeast which create horsey or poo-like aromas

Or perhaps even a combination of the two! I regularly get bacon on syrahs from the Northern Rhône and love it like that :)

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 18, 2019

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Qne

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

It's almost certainly Brettanomyces. Though I'm not familiar with that particular bottling, Marques de Riscal is a "traditional" producer whose style is oxidative and a little dirty.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Syrah definitely does meat during fermentation sometimes - one of my ferments smelled like roast turkey for a day or two

also reduction can do it, probably when you get some magic combo of sulfides and sulfide-related stuff going on. My 2017 Albarino was reductive and wandered off into the uncomfortable land of smoked summer sausage. A bunch of it ended up making it out the other side and turned into something amazing but some of it definitely did not.

Penguinone
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, as mentioned before, northern Rhône wines tend to have a ton of that smoky aroma you’re looking for. If you don’t want to shell out for Cote rotie, saint joseph and cornas can be a little more affordable. Pegau Chateauneuf du Pape also has a ton of that character in it if you’re looking for it. You’ll also found a decent amount of it in Chinon and Bourgueil too.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't think it's Brett or reductiveness. There's a zillion other compounds in there, it's something typical to the grape that comes out more in certain places, with certain ferments. I love it.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Of course Syrah and other grapes can (should) be meaty, but when we're talking about Rioja, especially the old-school oxidative style, any sort of meaty character is 99.9% coming from brett. It's not normal to have traditional Rioja that doesn't have a good amount of brett. Tempranillo doesn't have any inherent meaty character and this bottling is 100% Tempranillo. Even though this isn't a Gran Reserva bottling with loads of aging, it's probably aged in old casks which are crawling with brett.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, you're right. I tunnel visioned on Syrah, because my mouth started watering. Meaty flavors can also be a sign that it's going downhill. Barolo in the descent starts tasting like broth. It has some smokiness to it as well, like a sausage. We call it "sausage water", the broth sausages had been poached in used to be served by the cup in kiosks on the ski trail.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ola posted:

Barolo in the descent starts tasting like broth. It has some smokiness to it as well, like a sausage. We call it "sausage water", the broth sausages had been poached in used to be served by the cup in kiosks on the ski trail.
Haha that is spectacular! Now I want to taste a declining Barolo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguinone
Nov 28, 2007

Haha that is spectacular! Now I want to taste a declining Barolo

Kinda curious if the decline looks the same way for all Nebbiolo. I’ve got a bottle of Lessona from the 60’s right now that I’m waiting for the right moment to crack…