Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Isoamyl acetate!

http://8degreesplato.com/2018/02/10/why-does-my-beer-taste-like-bananas/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Yeah the “banana” is something that carbonic maceration can really emphasize (thus finding it in Beaujolais frequently) and it’s one of the things I don’t like about carbonic. Just 100% a note that shows the hand of the winemaker but not in any interesting way.

Kinda like excessive ethyl acetate from kloeckera blowing up a native fermentation and then not being managed well - it isn’t necessarily a flaw, more like, “hey man, your fly is open”

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

idiotsavant posted:

it isn’t necessarily a flaw, more like, “hey man, your fly is open”

"No, you see, I meant to have my dick out. It is the hip new style all the cognoscenti in Paris and New York can't get enough of."

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

CleverHans posted:

"No, you see, I meant to have my dick out. It is the hip new style all the cognoscenti in Paris and New York can't get enough of."

I mean if the mood's right at Aux Deux Amis...

But yeah, it's a *thing* that if you're consistently getting, there's no real solution but shy away from bojo unless you've been given a specific recommendation - between its prevalence in gamay and both the regional style and the zeitgeist leaning in the direction it does, not really avoidable.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Bought Wind Gap Soif 2014 and 2016 off Winebid for 10 bux each. Really nice carbonic alt-California fun thing to drink. Only had the 2014 so far.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I guess I’m the person my friends ask for history and wine questions but I got one I’m stumped by (no means an expert, on the wine front at least, hence why I turn to y’all). What’s the purpose and/or tradition behind wine skirts(?) like this:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiasco_%28bottle%29

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009
Not necessarily trying to be a dick here... but. Did you try google?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiasco_(bottle)

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Pretty much everything Milan Nestarec makes is great. Even with no sulfur added I can't remember having had a mousy bottle. He does so many cuvees, many of them interesting blends, and the range of expression is huge. Recently I've been coming back to the Forks and Knives White. It's relatively cheap and takes a crisp, refreshing table wine with a hint of skin contact and adds a salty licorice/gunpowder thing to it which I guess must come from some combination of barrel use and grape selection. It's a lot of fun to drink.

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz

Pontius Pilate posted:

I guess I’m the person my friends ask for history and wine questions but I got one I’m stumped by (no means an expert, on the wine front at least, hence why I turn to y’all). What’s the purpose and/or tradition behind wine skirts(?) like this:

I was told one time a very long time ago by I don't know who that italian workers would anchor their bottles of wine in a river with the wrap to keep their wine cool. In the hot heat. Not expert advice.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I was thinking about picking up a bottle of Alfred Gratien Millesime to throw under the stairs for a special occasion. Any thoughts on it as far as champagne goes?

Also, my partner really wants to try some Dom. Is it actually good, of is the price tag all marketing?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

I was thinking about picking up a bottle of Alfred Gratien Millesime to throw under the stairs for a special occasion. Any thoughts on it as far as champagne goes?

Also, my partner really wants to try some Dom. Is it actually good, of is the price tag all marketing?

I know I've had the Alfred Gratien, but there wasn't anything that particularly stood out to me.

I'm not a connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination, but Dom Perignon is very good, it's bready, yeasty, lots of brioche and still slightly refreshing. I've had a few vintages, and they've always been great. Keeping one in a cellar would be great when celebrating a special occasion.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Professor Shark posted:

Dom is really good. They have managed to maintain quality over the years despite their insane production levels (millions of bottles per year) and the most recent releases (2008, 2009) are excellent. They're also better value these days than a lot of other prestige cuvees (Krug, Cristal, etc). Finally if you can source bottles in *great* condition from the '60s '70s and '80s they can be magical - the winemaking then is/was legendary

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
We had a bottle of 2008 Dom to celebrate the end of lockdown last year and it is upsettingly good - the wine world is full of messed up QPR that can put one off expensive big name wine but Dom is just really good stuff. I wonder if the more expensive Dom Perignin SKUs are proportionately better.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I wonder if the more expensive Dom Perignin SKUs are proportionately better.
I can't afford the P2s and 3s but people I know prefer original disgorgements. Of course that's if and only if you can source them in great condition

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions for wine maps? Looking to give it as a gift for someone that has a decent little minibar. I really like Wine Folly's maps, but wondering if there are any other options.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Wine folly has a book as well that includes all her maps, so that could work. I also have the world atlas of wine by Jancis Robinson and it is really great, although a bit pricey. Would make an impressive gift though.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Opened a gifted bottle of Boen pinot noir last night, and I was impressed by how much the winemaker made a bottle of pinot noir taste like a low-cost Australian red blend.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

obi_ant posted:

Any suggestions for wine maps? Looking to give it as a gift for someone that has a decent little minibar. I really like Wine Folly's maps, but wondering if there are any other options.

Let me know if you find something great. The best one's I've seen are in a Paris wine bar called Ô Château. Cool that they were on street view:

You can zoom in a bit more here https://goo.gl/maps/aHf25uoyMhGbjNtu8

IIRC all the named vineyards were written in as well. Perhaps an even better one would have some naturalistic colours and terrain features as well.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Oh I see, you wanted a framed map to hang rather than a book! Sorry, not sure myself other than an internet search.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

obi_ant posted:

I actually just had some Wine Folly maps framed and hung. They do look nice.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

Ola posted:

Let me know if you find something great. The best one's I've seen are in a Paris wine bar called Ô Château.

Those are famous maps you'll find in a ton of French wine bars and even wine cellars. I have them framed in my house. Check out the related items on that Amazon page too if you want some cool wine maps to frame. Come to think of it I think I'm gonna snag a vintage Sonoma map and frame it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Crimson posted:

Those are famous maps you'll find in a ton of French wine bars and even wine cellars. I have them framed in my house. Check out the related items on that Amazon page too if you want some cool wine maps to frame. Come to think of it I think I'm gonna snag a vintage Sonoma map and frame it.

Whoa! Thanks man! I tried searching a few times but never came up with anything good. This feels like one of those classic SA moments, "hey guys this might be a long shot but..." and then the first reply has the answer.

e: drat, these are nice. Producer plots with what looks as big strokes of watercolor in the background. https://www.collection-pierrepoupon.com/maps-books-atlas/wall-maps/

Ola fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 27, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ordered the maps from a shop you click through to on this page https://www.collection-pierrepoupon.com/2016/10/06/c%C3%B4te-de-beaune-c%C3%B4te-de-nuits/

€55 shipped to Norway is great. It's hardly more than skyscraper workers having lunch on a steel beam from Ikea, or a bottle of Burgundy!

Ola fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 27, 2021

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

The Peter Liem Champagne book/box set came with multiple really beautiful maps of champagne regions. The book is also an incredible reference if you like champagne. I can’t decide which region is my favorite yet (bouzy?vandieres?) so I haven’t framed one but it’s on the to do list...

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

We just got wrecked at blinds. Three wines, all the same grape and we guessed 3 pinot gris (Italy, some rando new world spot, and Alsace) but it was... 3 chenins (South Africa- 2019 Rustenberg, central coast - 2018 Field Recordings, and 2019 Champalau Vouvray). asdlkajs

How do you tell the difference between the two when you go for blinds?

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
There are some notable differences, I'll try to list everything I can think of:

- Pinot Gris won't be as aromatic as Chenin. Chenin should be exhibiting more pungent citrus on the nose, while PG is typically limited to muted notes of apple/pear, although Alsace PG gets a little muskier and aromatic. No matter where it's from, the fruit profile is more in the apple/pear realm than the citrus forward notes of Chenin.
- PG tends to have a touch of bitterness, which many people liken to an old school aspirin pill. Chenin won't show any of that.
- PG is a pink grape, and often shows a slight tinge of bronze or copper in an otherwise white wine. It can be tough to pick up out of context, but once you've seen it next to a purely white wine a few times it can become obvious.
- Chenin often has an old dirty cellar type of nose, which has a number of different descriptors. For me it reminds me of walking through musty old barrel rooms in Europe, with mold and such on the walls. It's frequently called wet wool, but wtf does wet wool even smell like. Some call it sweaty socks, or sweaty man. There's just always something unclean about Chenin, and once it's stuck in your nose it can be easy to pick out. It seems to show up no matter where you grow it. I once called a Mexican Chenin as South Africa Chenin because it had that same typical funk.
- PG will always have lower acidity than Chenin. Chenin is naturally a really high acid grape, and PG is amongst the lowest, especially Alsace examples. I'm sure if you tasted an Alsace PG next to a Vouvray you'd notice how much more tangy and crisp the Vouvray is. With Vouvray, you should get that sensation of biting into a lemon wedge where your mouth starts watering immediately to correct the pH balance. PG won't have that, or at least not to the same extent.

I get to PG by what it's not. If I'm struggling a bit for descriptors because the nose is so muted and dull, I'm starting to think it might be PG, especially from Italy or Oregon. If it's a little muskier and very low in acid, maybe Alsace.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Thanks for this, it's super instructive. I like Oregon Pinot Gris as a casual wine, whereas I've always struggled to appreciate Huet (and have written off Chenin as a whole)

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

RIP Steven Spurrier.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Guys the Trader Joe's $15 chablis is LEGIT good for the price point - jean marc brocard - and it will get you schlittered (14.5%)

Other things we blinded recently (we're studying for WSET 3):

2013 Cavalier Bartolomeo Altenasso Barolo - I thought it was a sangiovese and my friend thought it was a tempranillo... but the tannins here should have brought us to barolo. Super mulchy, red cherries, leather.

2017 Fina Villarcreces Pruno (Ribera del Duero - 90% Tempranillo, 10% Cab Sauv) - We hugely missed on this (we couldn't ID it at all so guessed a region none of us have drank much of - Chile cab sauv). It's crazy salty and vegetal on the palate with fruit coming second so we never even considered tempranillo at all.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

taco show posted:

Guys the Trader Joe's $15 chablis is LEGIT good for the price point - jean marc brocard - and it will get you schlittered (14.5%)
Loving chablis these days. With the recent string of ripe vintages it's been easy to find stuff that non-wine geek friends and family will like. Fevre and Louis Michel have been go tos. Anyone have other producer recs

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Really enjoyed this surprise wine at a fundraiser recently; had a beautiful bouquet and was really quite approachable. The only downside is that it's a bit hard to get in the US.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

got off on a technicality posted:

Loving chablis these days. With the recent string of ripe vintages it's been easy to find stuff that non-wine geek friends and family will like. Fevre and Louis Michel have been go tos. Anyone have other producer recs

I love love love Chablis. Piuze is my fav (he also has a second label called Val de Mer that sometimes releases cremants which are fun). A few years back I did a tasting of all the grand cru climats and it was SO cool. Everyone is crazy for Les Clos but I’m a Vaudesir girl myself... try Piuze, Drouin, Moreau.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

taco show posted:

I love love love Chablis. Piuze is my fav (he also has a second label called Val de Mer that sometimes releases cremants which are fun). A few years back I did a tasting of all the grand cru climats and it was SO cool. Everyone is crazy for Les Clos but I’m a Vaudesir girl myself... try Piuze, Drouin, Moreau.

Also the D.E. Defaix releases. Last year he released his '03 bottles from a couple of different lieu-dits and they were stellar.

But yes, seconding Piuze. Such incredible wines.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

taco show posted:

A kinda deep, weirdo cut, but La Chablisienne Grenouilles is one of the few GCs that I think merit the price premium over the premier crus.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I had a bottle of Tschida Kapitel 1 (2019), tasted like someone blended bojo and Cab Franc; I could have done with more Cab Franc, but it was very glou glou. Closed nose. I aired it out for 45 minutes, but I should have done so for an hour and a half, the last glass was a lot more expressive than the rest.

The next bottle blew it away. A Marcel Lapierre Cuvée 2019. I was worried it would taste the same as the producers other Morgons, but this was very different. Very oaky for bojo, and super smooth. Lots of butterscotch. A big licorice note that was lovely, and lots of rustic green stuff kept in check by the oak as well. Really good, will buy again, even at the high price.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Just having my first of the new vintage of 8th Generation's pinot munier rose (Summerland, Okanagan Valley, BC, Canada) and this year (2020) is exceptional. Its usually a favourite of ours but there is some thing extra special this year. Similarly, Clos du Soleil's (Similkameen Valley, BC) 2020 malbec rose (yes its unusual) is actually very good. I haven't been a fan of it since they first put it out two years ago, preferring their cab sauv rose.

Really hoping this bodes well for the reds when they come out in a few years

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
This obscure Spanish red made from Prieto Picudo was really good. Juicy but some backbone. Not jammy at all. From the descriptor I thought it would be kinda glou glou but has just enough tannin. Fans of beauj may like.
Importer page: https://mt.wine/wines/castilla-y-leon/

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hester Creek 2020 cab franc rose (Oliver/Golden Mile Bench, Okanagan Valley, BC--yes I live near and love this region): rich dark magenta color, slight effervescence on the tongue, full rounded flavor with nice acid structure. Getting rhubarb, cranberries, strawberries, some slate, and slight cotton candy/popsicle from the residual sugars. Very refreshing this year and will be a summer balcony staple (I would say patio buuuuuut lol our numbers)

This year's Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot blend (2019) is outstanding as well. Fully drinkable now and in a year or two will probably hit optimal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
So we own a little 12-bottle Haier wine fridge unit that recently crapped out after roughly 5 1/2 years of faithful service. Unfortunately, this happened on the very same day that we had a bunch of bottles delivered to us, so suddenly we find ourselves with far more wine than appropriate storage space. Obviously, step 1 is to drink more wine, which we are doing. Beyond that, I have a few questions:

-Is it a good idea to store red wines in our full-sized refrigerator either as a stop-gap measure or until we drink them? Most of these bottles were previously stored in our little cooler at 55 degrees F. Obviously, the standard refrigerator is colder than that. The alternative is storing them on their sides in our pantry, which is maybe a few degrees below room temperature. Some of these bottles are from 2007/2008, so they are already pretty old (by our standards anyway) and we really do not want to ruin them.

-Any recommendations for plug-in wine coolers to replace our dead unit? We are looking for one in the 16-32 bottle range, something that can sit comfortably on hardwood floor (we don't have much counter space at the moment). Not particularly interested in the premium, $500+ units unless there is an extremely compelling reason to buy them and/or they come very well recommended, but otherwise open to ideas.

Thanks!