Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does that imply that the menu is known ahead of time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Girlfriend found this in a Newfoundland liquor store:

Obviously not kosher.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I need some wine glasses, as a recent underachievement in spatial awareness has me down to 3 (which have a lip on them that I dislike). I don't think I want to go as far as a bunch of different Riedel varietal choices, but I could see getting red and white, plus flutes. What's a good brand for that?

Also, please tell me it's OK to wash them in the dishwasher. You're going to tell me that it's a terrible idea because residue/scratching/etc, but I want it to be otherwise.

E: could it be as simple as a set of https://www.amazon.com/Riedel-Ouverture-White-Magnum-Champagne/dp/B004RQRFRO/ ?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 25, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They usually give country and varietal in business class.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PT6A posted:

Should be changing soon, I hear the Chinese wine trade is coming along (both in terms of production and consumption) :v:

Are Chinese wines similar to Western wines, in fruit and technique and such? I'd always thought them to be quite different.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I got the monopol ah-so to play with and managed to stick the tines in the cork, push the cork halfway down the neck, and then spurt wine everywhere when I did get it out.

Happily, practice is tasty.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It doesn't look like the LCBO carries any pet-nat, hopefully that'll change in the future. :smith:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kasumeat posted:

That said, be on the lookout for the next vintage of this, it's a great example but sells out extremely quickly: http://www.hinterlandwine.com/products/ancestral-2015-method-ancestral-coming-in-november

Subscribed to their newsletter!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does it matter how sherry was stored?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks to whoever recommended Wine Folly, it's been really interesting and is going to guide my next wine purchases.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I live alone (well, with a 9-year-old, but she doesn't drink her share), and I've been looking into half bottles as a better size for an evening. A friend told me, though, that wineries put their "worse stuff" in half-bottles, for reasons that were honestly not articulated very well.

Is there any truth to that, or is it as silly as it sounds?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So you'd prefer a little more fruit?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Reading up a bit, Albariño sounds pretty interesting. Anyone have a recommendation of the set I can get my hands on?

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/search?searchTerm=albarino

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Octy posted:

This seems like a good thread and I look forward to reading the rest of it. I worked a casual job during uni helping manage a big (16,000ish bottles) vintage wine collection for a private collector.

I'm probably the only person in the thread who doesn't know, but what does managing a collection like that involve?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does for me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Did they get some cool apparatus to manage the bottle while pouring? Siphon? Do you have pictures?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Seems like it would be an extremely easy thing to do blind tests of. Has nobody? I can't find anything easily with google.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kasumeat posted:

It's mostly 2015s on the market now, and the 1er and Grand Crus were too hot to make great Burgundy. Stick with the "lesser" appellations for 2015s and you'll be fine. Or better yet, go for the good New World producers, there's tons of legitimately elegant Pinot being made in California, Oregon, New Zealand, and especially Ontario if you can find it these days.

What are some of your favoured Ontario producers?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ve got some Hardie and Tawse downstairs now, but I’ll check out the others. Thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Time to pour out a good portion of one rack. What an rear end in a top hat.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that’s what my girlfriend convinced me of.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PT6A posted:

I think one of the Canadian provincial liquor boards had a freakout about the skull vodka or skull tequila or some nonsensical poo poo because it "glamourized drinking" or was "insensitive to family members of those who died due to alcohol" or some other such piffle.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/ontario-bans-dan-aykroyds-skull-shaped-vodka/article4319571/

They didn't have an issue with Veuve Cliquot, afaict.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are the places like the Wine Rack or grocery stores bound by the same policies as the LCBO?

E: I think you can get Champagne at YYZ too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

For preservation I’ve had good luck with https://savinowine.com/ and putting it in the fridge. A wine nerd friend who visited said that some baco noir we had held up very well after 2 days, so that’s the evidence I have.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

obi_ant posted:

I'll take a look. Thanks! Also, with this product would I still need to keep the wine in the fridge?

Refrigeration always helps preserve. I’ve found stuff perfectly drinkable in one at room temperature for 24 hours, but I don’t have the most sophisticated palate.

Stringent posted:

Won't do it any harm, but it won't do it any good either. Once it's opened air is the degrading factor, not temperature.

I thought oxidation happened more slowly at lower temperatures.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I assume we’re talking about the second bottle.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wine Spectator has been spreading lies, I guess.

https://www.winespectator.com/articles/whats-the-difference-between-a-variety-and-a-varietal-51666

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pretty clean label, all things considered. You could maybe put it in a shadow box or something!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“excuse me, garçon, do you have stairs in your cave?”

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shooting Blanks posted:

One option I have used in the past, and was quite happy with, was Garagiste (https://www.garagiste.com). I don't really drink wine any more, but their model is not subscription based - it's a mailing list. You'll get a daily email with what they have on offer, they cellar it for you until you have a full case (or cases) to ship, and when the weather is right. You can request shipment at any time, and they'll do it. Buy as much or as little as you want, but it is a CYOA service. It's at least worth getting on their mailing list and seeing what they're selling these days, since there's no obligation.

I really wish there was something like this in Ontario!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think they will also differ by how much noise they make with the compressor.