Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ola posted:

If I want to buy normally expensive wines (think 1er cru Burg and GC Chablis, not Lafite and cult stuff) and store them for 5-8 years, which is the better of these options?

A) Store them in our attic, the only place I have room, which is 70-75F in summer, 45-50F in winter and not bone dry but dry enough that clothes keep well. Oh and no electric plugs for storage cabinets.

B) gently caress it, don't store, buy aged wines from reputable shops, drink as you go.

Depending where you're at some of those shops might have climate controlled case storage you can rent too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

himajinga posted:

Apparently shipping is exorbitant, though, like $10/btl

Exactis Extremis

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ben Nevis posted:

Any good widely available boxwine?

Bota box Zinfandel has been recommended to me

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
^^^ that offsite storage comment is VERY location dependent. My brother also uses an offsite place for overflow and it's cheap as hell out in California. Local here in Minnesota when we were looking for places for dad to keep his wine anything over a case or two in storage was absurdly expensive.

ROJO posted:

So I came to the goons to see if there were any recommendations or consensus on reliable brands in the smaller capacity and sub-$1k range (preferably sub-$500).

My brother uses a very simple method: PID controllers and a standard box freezer. Just powers it on and off on demand and keeps everything nice and temperature controlled. Only downside is that it's a pita to get to the stuff at the bottom if you're trying to dig up a specific box.

He said this is the pid he got:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002EAL58/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2T1_SC_3p_dp_i1

He's a winemaker and stores many cases of personal runs he's done at the winery in em and has had great success, as has my dad who's stolen the idea from him

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

fair enough, I'm in Australia where everything is expensive so I figured that was a high watermark. For reference I pay about $30 AUD a month for storage of 220 bottles (including some boxed magnums and other assorted funny shapes). A good quality wine fridge plus + electricity for ten years is around 6k AUD.

Yeah, that's $45/mo around here assuming you didn't actually want to store ALL 220, and $85/mo if you did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Largely the same thing my brother (who's a winemaker) said when I asked him. He said acidity will rise but usually not that fast, so probably either it's warmer so you taste it more, or it opened up to show its acidity more