Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeh269
Mar 26, 2007

I am the English Stereotype.
Anyone who lives in London ought to give this ago: two nights ago I went to The Sampler - they have a shop in Islington and one in South Kensington.

They're fairly small wine merchants but their unique selling point is that they have lots and lots of wine to taste! Each shop has 10 Enomatic machines - 80 wines to taste! You top up a smart card and just wander around with a glass. The prices start at 30p and go up - they rotate all their wines through the machines and have one reserved for "Icon" wines which are of high value, things that most people wouldn't normally be able to try.

I ended up trying wines that I wouldn't normally try and picking up a bottle of Muscat which I'm not normally a huge fan of.

If you're around London the shops are definitely worth a visit - it was a very fun way to spend an hour!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeh269
Mar 26, 2007

Boner Slam posted:

Drinking my first Beaujolais Nouveau right now.

It's certainly interesting how forward the nose is about banana and raspberry. Too bad it is only available in the winter, this would be a baller summer wine.
Also it is very acidic.

Edit: Thn again, opening a Riesling Hochgewächs it's the same intensity of smell but more poo poo going on. Much better balance, too.

What do you guys know/think about Spanish wine?

You should try some more serious Beaujolais as well - a Moulin à Vent with a bit of bottle age is pretty delicious.

Spanish wine is fun. Recently I've been drinking a fair amount of Rioja from various 80s and 90s vintages - as a wine it definitely has the structure to age well.

Wine from other parts of Spain is good too - stuff from the Duero valley, reds from Bierzo, Toro and Priorat are exciting.

Don't discount the whites - Albarino, Verdejo and Godello grapes both produce pretty fabulous wines for matching with seafood and just general drinking.

And sherry! People often ignore sherry but it's having a bit of a renaissance recently as people realise what a great food wine it can be and how much you get for your money.

mikeh269
Mar 26, 2007

Or a white wine...

Having a tannic red wine with fish always leaves a weird fishy metallic taste in the mouth. Pinot noir is a good matching because it tends to be fairly light bodied, low in tannin and with cool climate pinot good acidity (which cuts through the fishiness - similar to squeezing over a lemon)

Equally a white wine with good acidity will do the same thing.

mikeh269 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 16, 2013

mikeh269
Mar 26, 2007

4liters posted:

Nah that's pretty standard for NZ sav blanc. There's a range of yeast available for winemakers that has been specifically selected to release far more thiols (the chemicals that give sav blanc its flavour) than a normal yeast would so it's pretty easy to make an intense wine from low grade fruit. But that is available to all winemakers if they want it so I'm more inclined to think that there is something about Marlborough that lends itself to particularly intense SB.

And if you're interested in learning a bit more about this then Jamie Goode's new book is really interesting

http://www.wineanorak.com/wineblog/sauvignon-blanc/announcing-a-new-book-the-science-of-sauvignon-blanc

mikeh269
Mar 26, 2007

Tai-Pan posted:

I am going to spend 10 days in Nimes in October.

I would like to educate myself about the region before I go.

Any recommendations on reading that might useful? Anyone been to the region?

Also, any recommendations on wines I can try here (and ones I cannot get here, but should be on the lookout for there?).

I have never actively sought out Languedoc wines as nothing I have ever tried has really jumped out at me, but I am hoping I have just had bad luck up to this point.

There's plenty of great wine from the Languedoc. Having a good look at the region in the World Atlas of Wine will give you a general feel for it.

My favourite appellations at the moment are Saint Chinian and Minervois but as with every wine region - you can get awful stuff and amazing stuff.

I had a fantastic wine from St Chinian a few weeks ago - from low yielding vines, hand harvested, unfined, unfiltered, extended oak ageing. Because it was from the Languedoc (which doesn't have that much prestige) it was only £15. Make sure you read up on French wine terms before you go - because if you get lucky and find a bottle with a back label it certainly won't be in English!

mikeh269
Mar 26, 2007

pork never goes bad posted:

I tend to find spice and wine to be a really poor pairing. People often recommend Riesling ory gewurtztraminer but neither seems any good at all to me. I'd stick to beer, or do vermouth and soda or the like.

Off dry aromatic varieties do work well with spice but only delicate spice - if you're dealing with something heavily spiced you can get away with something big and rich (think heavily oaked chardonnay or chenin) but really beer is king when it comes to matching with curries.

mikeh269
Mar 26, 2007

Kasumeat posted:

How similar? I would consider most late harvest dessert wines to be pretty similar, and generally superior, since many of them maintain more balancing acidity. Trockenbeerenauslese, Ausbruch, Tokaj, Sauternes, and my personal favourites, the Loire sweeties Bonnezeaux & Quarts de Chaumes can all be delicious.

This pretty much - the first time you try a TBA or a top Tokaji you'll probably be blown away - lusciously sweet but with perfectly balanced acidity - all this incredible ripe fruit but without being overbearing or cloying.

I tried a sparkling Tokaji at the London wine fair which was pretty bizarre but interesting.

mikeh269
Mar 26, 2007

Boner Slam posted:

So I am drinking right now: Brancott Estate 2012 Sauv Blanc Malborough, for 8 bucks...

Once again a wine from NZ which is really intense imo. It smells like those roasted peppers in oil, those slightly sour ones. It also tastes like it and also gooseberries. Bit bitterness as well but I don't care. I dunno about the grapefruit - I mean it does have the acidity.
Amazing thing: I wrote this down in my notes - after that I checked the bottle and it said exactly loving this on the back. What do you know, paid off to stop smoking I guess.

So considering I loving loved all Malborough SauvB I tried so far, what are
a) The best wines from there
b) Other, similar wines from other regions, grapes?

MSB: try Dog Point, Greywacke, Isabel. All top examples.

S. African SB is a bit more restrained but definitely worth a go - look at Buitenverwachting as previously mentioned for good value - wines like the Vergelegen Reserve SB for something a bit higher end (and the Vergelegen 'The White' for their amazing take on white Bordeaux)

Definitely get into the Loire. For me it has to be Pouilly-Fumé - especially higher end examples with lots of texture. The wines of Dagueneau are pretty much some of the most sought after and having tried them are worth it but you can spend not too much and still get a good example.

mikeh269
Mar 26, 2007

himajinga posted:

I have to pick up a bottle of Tokaji in a pinch for a tasting tonight, I basically have a choice between the following:

2007 Disznoko Tokaji Aszu 5 Puttonyos
Chateau Megyer Tokaji Aszu 5 Puttonyos
Chateau Megyer Tokaji Aszu 6 Puttonyos
The Royal Tokaji Wine Company Blue-Red Label Tokaji Aszu 5 Puttonyos

Any preference? The Megyer is the easiest to get as I'm already stopping by Total for some other stuff, but it's all basically the same price and if one of the others is better enough I can probably justify another stop.

I was in Tokaj last May - Royal Tokaji is good as the wines are very reliable and all are solid examples of the Tokaji style but Disznoko was good from what I remember.

mikeh269
Mar 26, 2007

CrotchDropJeans posted:

Wine friends, is this the place to ask about sherry?

Yes

mikeh269
Mar 26, 2007

CrotchDropJeans posted:

Excellent. Thought it might be, but didn't want to post a question and get a bunch of "uh the sherry thread is over THERE" responses :)

I used to live in Spain, and every once in awhile my boyfriend and I would treat ourselves to a glass or bottle of a particular sherry. Now that we're back in the states for the forseeable future, we want to buy a bottle of it, but are having the worst time. I've spent hours looking over bodega sites/wine sites/etc only to find that they either don't carry the one we're looking for, or they do carry it but don't ship outside of Spain. "Please do my shopping for me" posts are a pet peeve of mine, but I'm at my wits end here so if anyone knows a site/distributor/store/whatever where I can either buy this sherry in the United States or have it shipped to me, I'd really appreciate it.

The sherry: Amontillado Fino Imperial V.O.R.S. 30, Jerez

Right now our only realistic option is to get someone we know in Spain to buy it for us there and pay them to ship it, but we'd rather just order it directly ourselves. Any leads?

Edit: I read Spanish, Portuguese, and French, so sites in those languages are fine if you know of any

My suggestion would be to email/phone the producer if you can speak Spanish and find out if they have a U.S. distributor, then if they do speak to them and see where locally either lists it or works with that distributor and can therefore probably order it in!

It's not a wine I'm familiar with - Is this the one? http://jerez-xeres-sherry.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/amontillado-vors-fino-imperial-18-diez.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeh269
Mar 26, 2007

Secret Spoon posted:

What kind of cheeses would you suggest? I haven't ever done a port and cheese pairing, so like, maybe Roquefort, Stilton, and Brie? Or would harder cheeses pair better?

I'd aim for harder more full flavoured cheeses - as some general rules:

Harder more full flavoured cheeses pair well with full bodied reds and port.
Soft delicate cheeses like many goats cheeses work best with light bodied aromatic whites with good acidity.
Smelly blue cheeses work well with sweet wines like Tokaji, Sauternes and some sweet Rieslings.

Port kinda works okay with everything because it's intensely flavoured and sweet but it does tend to obliterate more delicate flavours.