Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Kasumeat posted:

Boutari Grande Reserve Naoussa is amazing dead-ringer-for-Barolo for well under $20. In fact it's more balanced on release than 90% of Barolo ever will be and has 10-20 years of cellaring potential.

Quoting a post from May but its worth the repeat. I found a bottle of this in the 'hosed if we know' section at Dan Murphy in Australia and its one of the best things I've had all year. Today I Sspent the day spending my tax return trying to hunt down a complete set of everything Prum put out in 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
So long as you don't mind me using terms like 'flexy tannins', 'sort of brownish', and 'like blood but in a good way' in my cellar tracker notes.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Kasumeat posted:

Wynn's is my go-to. Their Black Label might be, dollar for dollar, the best Cab in the world.

Ha I just drove past there today but didn’t stop. Will drop in on the way home.

The Vasse Felix Filius Cab Sauv is the other reference cheap but great option.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Kasumeat posted:

Great producer, not Coonawarra though. Haven't had their Cab in a while, but Margaret River tends to be a good bit richer than Coonawarra.

Yeah sorry I should have clarified. The more expensive Vasse Felix stuff is delicious too but the Filius is a crowd pleaser.

Stitecin posted:

I have a good frien who runs a wine shop in Canberra coming to visit in April, so obscure Aussie wine isn't a problem to get.

In that case if you want something to age and you don’t mind the Big Barossa Shiraz style you could try to get some of the appropriate John Duval Eligo (former Grange winemaker makes Shiraz from some of the best vines in the Barossa, kind of bad vintage proof in my opinion), Rockford Basket Press (traditional methods as the name suggests) or Hentley Farm Clos Otto (super jammy if you don’t mind that). These are all pretty safe conventional recommendations but probably harder to get outside Australia.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Stitecin posted:

I worked two harvests in the Barossa at Torbrek and Two Hands, I like that inky ketchupy over ripe poo poo sometimes. I have a 2003 Basket Press under my house that should be drunk soon. Good call there, maybe Rockford's sparkling shriaz for a curveball.

Nice one, I partly grew up in the Barossa so that’s the default Shiraz profile for me. Torbrek and Two Hands as both good too, although some of the Torbreck pricing is kind of crazy. I’ll be up there there next week, probably going to hit Rockford, Michael Hall, Langmeil, Kabminye, maybe Kaesler? I should actually go to some places I haven’t been before this time.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I had my first Jura over Christmas with some roast duck, it managed to be a red wine that went with Asian food which is non trivial. It was a 2014 Francois Rousset-Martin Trousseu and I want to drink more of it so I guess the Trousseau is my slightly useless vote based on my sample size of one.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I’m an Australian who is going to be in Barcelona in May, and I last time I used to opportunity to grab some old PX for around $700 that would have cost me $2000 in Australia. I was think of doing the same again but what do you think about the risk of travel damage on the 25 hour return flight? The px is so stable you can leave it open for years, but if I get some fancy Bordeaux or something is it going to be at risk?

I also brought some priorat and cava gone last trip but I haven’t opened either yet so not sure on the impact.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Thanks, I'm limited to three 750ml bottles duty free so each one is precious. Other than being way cheaper its mostly about being able to get things you won't ever get in Australia like auction german riesling or a lot of priorat (I loving love priorat). Bordeaux is actually about the same price so probably a bad example.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I had a bottle of vigne vecchie mascalese volcano juice last week and I highly recommend it as a place sort of near corscica I guess

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Any recommendations for a good entry point to Sauternes QPR wise? I'm getting offers for 2015 375ml Yquem but I could get a magnum of Prum Auslese GK for the same price. Obviously Yquem has brand price inflation, just wondering if there is a better option for someone who is just at the curious stage.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Ta guys, both of these are pretty easy to get hold of.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Skooms posted:

better to drink riesling anyways :)

This is pretty much what I've been doing :) Generally speaking though in AU you can't get back vintage rieslings very easily though, whereas I can walk into a decent bottle shop and see a 2009 Coutet per your suggestion.

I brought home some VDP Auction 2015 Prum on the last trip to Europe, now I just have to wait 20 years.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

ROJO posted:

We don't really have long term wine (which I assume is >6-12 months), and based on my usage and my understanding of off-site storage (which could be wrong), I think I definitely want the convenience of storage at my own house. We are definitely more impromptu drinkers and I don't want to have to have planned out our wine drinking a day in advance. Feel free to correct me if it seems I am missing something about off-site storage. Sorry for being a noob about this.

Understand wanting stuff close to you, but you will pay a big price penalty for convenience. I have about 250 bottles, and the cost of a decent wine fridge would pay for 15 years of offsite storage. Can you get a cheap 24 or 48 bottle fridge off craigslist or whatever to keep as a local buffer and send everything else away?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Azhais posted:

^^^ that offsite storage comment is VERY location dependent. My brother also uses an offsite place for overflow and it's cheap as hell out in California. Local here in Minnesota when we were looking for places for dad to keep his wine anything over a case or two in storage was absurdly expensive.

fair enough, I'm in Australia where everything is expensive so I figured that was a high watermark. For reference I pay about $30 AUD a month for storage of 220 bottles (including some boxed magnums and other assorted funny shapes). A good quality wine fridge plus + electricity for ten years is around 6k AUD.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I'd get approximately one percent of these but Waiheke Island is super pretty, has nice wines and you should go there if you are ever in Auckland.

Are cork pullers the best approach for crumbly corks? I ended having to use the tea strainer with a bottle last night after I murdered a older cork.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Yeah i had a 2007 Prum Spatlese (all my stories are about Prum) that just fell to pieces. I probably only open half dozen 10+ year old bottles a year, was just feeling particularly stupid sitting there with my tea strainer.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Comb Your Beard posted:

I'm kind of a traditionalist with NYE, gotta have some sparkling wine. What bottles y'all popping?

For me:
NV Bourrasque Vin Mousseux. My all time favorite budget sparkler. Loire Chenin Blanc, delivers some of that luscious round texture. I ordered a lot of this out of state just to get some.
NV G.D. Vajra N.S. della Neve. Extra Brut Rosé from Piedmont. 50% Nebbiolo, 50% Pinot Nero. Should be cool, had it at a wine dinner a while back but just now getting a single bottle.

Speaking from the future where it’s NYD already:

NV Louis Roederer Premier Brut - I know it’s probably very boring but it’s consistently very drinkable and goes with food.

NV Andre Clouet Grand Cru - this was very good, dry and toasty, quite rich after the one before

2018 Brave New Wine Sunshine and Hercules Riesling - Cloudy hipster riesling but I loved it.

2005 Magnum Hentley Farm The Beauty - this was okay but actually kind of a let down. It wasn’t the giant Barossa fruit bomb style but it was still berry focussed with some interesting tannins. Again not bad, just kinda boring.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
The Australian orange wines I’ve had so far have not had too much of a tea profile so far, but I haven’t tasted very widely. The Ruggabellus and Brave New Wine options have been good - the Ruggabellus Solumodo has a touch of tea but it seemed in balance.

Skin contact and pet nat (sometimes both) seem to be the current hipster wines but I can’t be too upset because both are great summer slams. I wish we could get that Czech one down here.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Looks like I might be in Denver for work in October, any recommendations for Colarado wine cellar doors?

Edit: Maybe a bit more info would be good, I like cool climate wines like Riesling and Pinot, but honestly I'm keen to try whatever they are good at.

Trimson Grondag 3 fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 10, 2019

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Not sure if you can get it where you are but Wynn’s Black Label Cab Sav is $33AUD and will go for 15 years quite happily. Similarly some of the non “big name” German riesling kabinetts can be had for small money and will be singing in 2035. It really depends on the wine as others have said.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

got off on a technicality posted:

Which is why one of my favorite restaurants in the world is owned by a somm who has been collecting cool poo poo for decades at reasonable prices

This is a big part of what I look for too from a wine list, it means they have some vintage depth that one can choose from. I understand that for newer or more cash strapped restaurants it isn’t possible to compete in that sense so maybe it’s an unfair comparison, but I also don’t want to pay $100 for a 2016 cab sav that isn’t going to unwind for another another decade. Leads to a lot of pink, orange and white purchases if it’s a newer place.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Kasumeat posted:

Having spent some time in Australia, it's really hard to believe the answer is because the Australian market is more sophisticated. . . .

We also have excellent Riesling for $20, I think most Australians associate chard with nineties cat piss and it keeps the prices under control.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

I got a kick out of this - fifty year old advice on building a cellar. 50 bottles of champagne every two years is doable.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
some by.ott estate rose because it’s bloody hot. Had the traditional sparkling Shiraz last night from Bests which is consistently excellent. Day before that we had two Prum 2009 Kabinetts. I probably need to switch from buying 65% red wine because all I’m drinking at the moment is white and pink.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
We have a 29% tariff in Australia which is magnified by our lovely currency - it has the effect of eliminating a lot of interesting European (and American) wine that wouldn’t find an easy market in Australia. I can’t imagine the effect of a 100% tariff - you will probably still be able to get a bottle of Krug but it will eliminate a huge amount of smaller interesting stuff.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Wonderful quote from the obit for Paul Osicka who made great Shiraz in Heathcote:

“As per his wishes, Paul’s remains were fired over the vineyard with a black powder cannon. He will always be connected to the vineyard in numerous ways.”

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Turds in magma posted:

Is there a glassware thread? Strong opinions here? Zwiesel? Riedel? Spiegelau? Is there some secret value brand that's better for less?

Zalto is cheap for hand blown glass, which is to say not cheap at all.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
For auswinegoons I spend a fair bit of time on the Winefront, the comments turn into forum threads and a lot of winemakers participate. Being behind a paywall makes it a good scene.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
The real question is how are you making lasagne without wine in the first place.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
We had a bottle of 2008 Dom to celebrate the end of lockdown last year and it is upsettingly good - the wine world is full of messed up QPR that can put one off expensive big name wine but Dom is just really good stuff. I wonder if the more expensive Dom Perignin SKUs are proportionately better.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Good thing about having parents who grew up during a recession and see spending more than $20 on a bottle of wine as a luxury purchase is that you can get them something good but not ridiculous and it’s the best thing they’ve ever had. I bought my father a few bottles of 2010 Valenciso Riserva for his birthday and he’s beside himself.

Trimson Grondag 3 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 7, 2021

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
The jancis robinson wine glass was quite similar to the zalto universal in terms of fineness, and some of the Plumm range too. The Zaltos really are special though, managed to not break any glasses after six years which I think is an achievement. I did break a zalto decanter by dropping a teaspoon on it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Redefine old world as meaning only from pre phylloxera grapes