Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Exergy posted:

Penfolds Bin 8

I recognized the "Bin" immediately, love Lindeman's Pinot Noir Bin 99, super cheap and good, local convenience store sells it.

I wanted to post to ask for any info on White Bordeaux. It's seriously tops for me and my favorite expression of Sauvignon Blanc (I realize that's just part of the blend). What are some of the best buys for this stuff? Should you age it like a fine red? I also wish Americans would copy it more and sell "White Meritage." I'm sure such a thing exists I just have not seen it. I need to hit up more wine stores, live in Arlington, VA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anybody want to lay some knowledge down about White Bordeaux or even White Meritage? Typically they are Sémillon and Sauvignon blanc. So good. I can't be the only serious fan.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I went to a unlimited food and wine tasting party thing at Epcot Food and Wine Festival at Disneyworld. Wines ranged mostly California or Italy with Veuve Clicquot champagne thrown in. Managed to get quite drunk without spending extra money, a nice feat for Disneyworld.

Definitely my favorite was a red Bordeaux-style blend from Meeker in Sonoma County. The guy said it was an '06, I don't see that exact year on their site but this is the '08: https://store.meekerwine.com/xe/xe.asp?page=viewitem&p=08FourKings&cat=red-wines . I'm not an elite taster or home bottle-ager, so it was definitely the oldest wine I've ever drunk. Pretty cool. Last time I was in Napa, similarly a Bordeaux blend was my favorite red, pretty transcendent. I may have to make that a trend.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm looking to explore more French wines. Recently I've enjoyed some white Viognier based Côtes du Rhône and a Cru red Beaujolais. In the past I've loved white Bordeaux but I've had some bad ones recently. Dislike Chardonnay. Red Châteauneuf-du-Pape was a bit heavy for my tastes. Like Pinot Noir but haven't had much proper red Burgundy.

Realize that's a bit vague. Any tips? I got a coupon for Total Wine.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Ola posted:

Alsace Riesling. And proper red Burgundy. And proper white Burgundy, so you start liking Chardonnay again.

I"m not sure what it is about Chardonnay, I feel like a less well-rounded wine drinker because obviously it's everywhere. I liked some "Chablis" once, the air quotes because it was a bulk American wine. Maybe real Chablis or other white Burgundy could be my entryway back into liking Chardonnay.

I like the Riesling rec, especially if it's drier. Found an old article from NYT about it:
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/07/14/dining/wine-talk-the-best-rieslings-they-re-from-alsace.html

Interesting to hear Pouilly-Fumé is a Sauv Blanc style, may have to look into that.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I think I made out pretty well following the recs here for Loire Valley. All around $12 or $13. Got a Cab Franc, Vouvray Chenin Blanc, and a Sauv Blanc (not Pouilly-Fumé though, those were a bit pricey). The Beauj was one Total Wine was pushing more, but I figure it should be good. Have to see what I like the most.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 5, 2016

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I kinda thought aerating wine was bullshit, but the Cab Franc I drank last night actually was better with some time sitting out and being swirled around a bit in the glass. "Looser" tannins I guess. Not sure if it was just a placebo effect.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Thanks to whoever gave me that Vouvray Chenin Blanc rec, that was the best of few Loire Valley bottles I purchased. Really quite remarkable.

Edit:
Jon Bonné just did a writeup on it, maybe it's catching on more.
http://punchdrink.com/articles/montlouis-sur-loire-vs-vouvray-wine-chenin-blanc-battleground/
http://punchdrink.com/articles/six-chenin-blanc-from-montlouis-sur-loire-and-vouvray/

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 11, 2016

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Wine weekend in NYC:

Friend pulled out some Burgundy Cremant when I got to his place, we promptly drank the whole thing. Really nice.

Bottle after bottle of Barbera d'Asti at OTTO Enoteca Pizzeria in NYC with a large group. I should have recorded the label. My cousin's boyfriend bragged that his choice was not on the retail market at all, but I was skeptical.

The $13 Trader Joes Pouilly-Fumé I brought was definitely serviceable, capped off the night with it.

Finally next day my hosts opened a $30 Margaux. Agreed it was kinda meh, just tasted like an unremarkable Cabernet.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I bought a ticket to a "Vive la France" event at my local Total Wine store. Not sure what to expect, only $20 though, so low commitment level. Maybe I will open the all Merlot Bordeaux I got before then...

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
The local Total Wine is having a Italy week/coupon, I'm trying to expand my palate. I have drank Chianti, Barbera, Pinot Grigio before, generally liked them all. I know Chianti is mostly Sangiovese.

Any recs? I love crisp whites. Chenin Blanc, Rhone blends, Sauv Blanc.

Intrigued to try a Barolo, but put off by the expense and possibility of huge tannins.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Cbear posted:

Is there any recommendations for documentaries? I just watched the two Somm ones on Netflix and was wondering if there was more I could watch just to get some more education or info on wine.

"A Year in Burgundy" and "A Year In Champagne" were both really good documentaries. They are more about wine growing and production than Somm type stuff, but worth watching anyway.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Overwined posted:

Barolo will be there waiting when you're ready. In fact the issue is probably not going to Barolo/Barbaresco when you're ready, but indeed when they're ready.

Italy has an amazing array of crisp, awesome white wines and Americans know little about them. I recommend Orvieto, Verdicchio (leaning on Castelli di Jesi to be safe), Soave (leaning on Classico to be safe), Lugana, Pino Bianco from Friuli or Alto Adige, Ribolla Gialla from Friuli, and Pinot Grigio from Friuli or Alto Adige. There are more. Lots lots more, but that should be a good start.

I followed your recs to some extent:
Piedmont Nebbiolo Langhe - Really excellent, one of the most drinkable reds I've had in a long time.
Orvieto - not really feeling this, kinda off putting finish
Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi (funky bottle shape!)
Soave

Haven't tried the last 2 yet. Based on how much I liked the lesser Nebbiolo, I should take the plunge and try a Barolo. Didn't want to commit $25 minimum right off.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Most disappointing wine I drank recently was a Muscadet from Loire Valley. I had been on a roll with excellent Loire wines. It didn't taste bad per se, it kinda just tasted like nothing. I got it from Trader Joes, it was cheap but not ultra cheap.

Should I give it another chance? I did some basic research that Muscadet is Melon de Bourgogne and not actually in the Muscat family.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Gonna hit a Bastille Day sale at a local wine shop tomorrow. Pretty psyched. Maybe I'll pick up some Sancerre.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
How do you successfully regift wine you don't want?

I have some Cali Chardonnay from my housewarming party. Really not my style. Should I bring it to a party? I'm afraid I may get put on the spot to drink it, but at the same time I might want to be drinking other stuff. Maybe bring 2 bottles one to open, one to leave?

Throwing it away would be too wasteful I feel.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Got a question that is both wine and travel combined.

I'm trying to put together a Loire Valley excursion to do some wine tasting/buying, 2-4 days. Maybe check out some châteaux and other stuff too. I'm not really knowledgeable about this kind of thing. Got a lot of things I'm considering:

• When is a good time to go? Is late fall like November a bad time? I know the harvest is over by late fall. It'll be off peak tourist time for Paris too.
  • Do it DIY or book it all via someone? https://www.loirevalleywinetour.com https://www.loire-valley-tours.com seem like good options.
  • Getting around? My wife isn't a big drinker so she could maybe share driving duties if we get a rental car. If we hired transportation that could be nice too.
  • Where to go? I realize it's a huge region. I could skip the west (Muscadet) and the far east (Sancerre) if need be.

If someone has a strong argument for doing Rhône, Provence, Burgundy, Bordeaux, etc. instead I'd be interested too.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Brought the super cheap Beaujolais Villages Trader Joes sells on a camping trip. Best thing I've drank in the ~$5 range maybe ever. Room temp out of a small plastic cup with campfire hotdogs. A+, would do again.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Finally got my hands on something resembling a Pet Nat. Limoux Méthode Ancestrale from the Languedoc region. 7% alcohol.

One of the most disappointing things I've drunk in a long time. It tasted like slightly sweet hard cider. Pretty much having no characteristics I would seek out in a sparkling wine.

Should I give the category another shot? I'm gonna stick to trying various Crémants I think. I was on vacation in Seattle at an independent grocery store so I had a more esoteric selection at the time that I bought it.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm spending 3 days in Loire Valley very soon (staying in Tours). I'm reading that Touraine also grows Gamay. I love Beaujolais, so I gotta try that. Anybody have tips for producers?

Current gameplan:
Saturday - Saumur, Chinon, Bourgueil
Sunday - Tours City stuff, see Château de Chenonceau  
Monday - Montlouis, Vouvray

Gonna try to hit a mix of tourist friendly wineries, tasting shops, and maybe an appointment only producer too.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Loire Valley trip was a success! I did a mix of more tourist oriented stops and ones recommended by wine aficionados.

Caves Louis de Grenelle in Saumur
La Cabane à vin in Chinon (tried some Baudry but I bought some other Chinon I found a bit lighter, forgot which)
Pierre et Bertrand Couly in Chinon
Vignoble Alain Robert in Chançay (lady does a really nice paid tour with food and a broad wine tasting, my wife really appreciated it)
La Cave Insolite Domaine François Chidaine in Montlouis sur Loire

Packed as much stuff into 3 days as I could and still see some other cool stuff like Château de Chenonceau.

I did not actually drink or buy any Gamay like I had posted about but I did learn about Pineau d'Aunis, more obscure red Loire grape.

Chidaine was maybe most impressive, I only managed to visit their shop and not one of their wineries. Chidaine has a still red that is Cab Franc-Malbec (Côt)-Pineau d'Aunis, tasted great for sure.

I wish I could buy cheap Vouvray Brut at the convenience store at home like I did in Tours. Of course it tasted great, drank it right away in the hotel room.

I ended up buying half sparkling, half still, 12 bottles. Some Touraine Sauv Blancs, plenty of Cab Franc. I bought 1 bottle of all Pinot grower Champagne in Paris too. Some Crémant d'Alsace at a grocery store in Normandy because why not.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Comb Your Beard posted:

Loire Valley trip

Followup post: are there any new world producers of Cab Franc similar to Chinon? I know some Cab Franc is grown in California. Just looking to branch out and try different styles. Chinon was something that really resonated with me.

Related edit: I noticed a ton of Saumur-Champigny on humble wine lists in Paris. I wish it would become trendy like Beaujolais in America. Nice stuff.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 15, 2016

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

PT6A posted:

* The exception being Chilean wine, which is generally crap but it's crap in a way that I don't mind

Could you elaborate what you mean? I have an old world bias myself but I'm interested in exploring Chilean wine more. I've had a good Viognier and Carménère from Chile.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Ola posted:

Kind of related, although it might be an insult, what is a good base wine to make mulled wine with? I'm thinking some sweet, new world, oak chip juice would do well. Malbec, Aussie cab?

I feel like tannins are harsher when drunk warm. I'd go with Pinot Noir. If your base is a dry wine, you can always add some sugar to some stage of your recipe.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Had some Louis Jadot Beaujolais-Villages that retails for $15-$16 over Christmas, and honestly it tasted like Duboeuf Nouveau to me. Not in a good way.

I much preferred the way cheaper Beaujolais I got at Trader Joes I can't remember the name of.

What gives? Did the first bottle need more age?

Also between Korbel, Prosecco, and Veuve Clicquot the Veuve was probably my least favorite. Go figure.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Glad to see some activity in this thread!

On the low end front, I got the Espiral Vinho Rosé at Trader Joes for very cheap and wow is that good. So refreshing. Portuguese Rosé made in the Vinho Verde style.

On the more high end front, i went to a Piedmont wine dinner locally and had a Barolo that tasted like Old Bay seasoning and/or seafood. Never experienced that before in a wine, wild stuff.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Kinda sad this thread is dead, I've pretty much migrated to r/wine.

Hosting Thanksgiving at my own house for the first time ever. My family aren't wine snobs, I think I'll open with some sub $20 sparkling and then just do Beaujolais. It's the new standard for that. As long as it doesn't have those banana bubblegum notes I'm gonna stock up.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I popped the Marcel Lapierre Raisins Gaulois Beaujolais on Thanksgiving and was surprised I didn't really like it. Kinda bitter and harsh, but in a non-tannic way. However, light bodied and drinkable, my dad and I still finished it. Read a lot of hype that it's a bargain for the quality. Maybe I just don't like Morgon?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Had some really good wines recently. Some well aged Cali stuff and a new varietal for me.

1994 King Estate Pinot Noir Reserve (Oregon) - Really bad cork, had to filter little pieces out. Held up very well despite. Still some primary character. I enjoyed this way more than the '90 Red Burg I had that was so thin.

1991 Carmenet Cabernet Franc (Sonoma) - Awesome. No bell pepper notes here. Quite unlike the aged left bank Red Bdx I had, this showed age in a very different way. Definite aged notes.

2015 Tasca D'Almerita Nero d'Avola (Sicily) - Most of the Italy wine I drink is Piedmont so I figured why not branch out. Not too tannic. Nose gave me hint of cherry. Definitely nice.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

got off on a technicality posted:

Nice. I had a 1984 Carmenet (bdx blend) at a restaurant a while back and remember it quite fondly. Rather 'sweeter' and juicier than the French equivalent. Did you find this on a wine list or at a retailer? I ask because I've been meaning to pick up a few if I can find it, and 1991 is certainly as good as any vintage for quite a range

It was from an online vendor I originally found with wine searcher just searching by year and lower price. https://shopbanquet.com/wineadvise

I look through all of their aged stuff and sometimes cross reference with vintage charts/reports, put together a nice order.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
One of the best Chardonnays I've had in quite a while. Actually a white blend 80% Chard. NE Italy. Pretty affordable.

https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=2624202

I really have way more red in my cellar right now, I should get some old Riesling or something.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I've never had a wine I noticed being "corked". I know the signs of it in theory. Am I lucky or did I just miss it? I did once have Premature oxidation in an Assyrtiko, I returned for store credit. 160 bottles past 2 years.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Furious Lobster posted:

Also, I've had Juge '15 more than a couple of times now and while it's still young, it shows the crazy smoke, meat and fruit that I've come to expect from that particular vineyard.

The lineup of Northern Rhone at the tasting; also worth noting that the '10 Juge was particularly not corked but off & disjointed. Highlights were the '10 Dolium and a '07 Gonon VV that's not in any of the pics :v: :

Where do you get such a crazy tasting?

Bought a 2010 Stephane Pichat Cote-Rotie Le Champon on winebid, a splurge for me. Supposed to be a good vintage for the area too.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Subjunctive posted:

Time to pour out a good portion of one rack. What an rear end in a top hat.

I would still drink it.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Ola posted:

white Rhône

Low end, but great QPR: Pontificis Viognier-Roussanne-Marsanne available at Trader Joes. I would be ok if VRM became a "thing" like GSM. Also Chapoutier Côtes du Rhône Blanc is widely available and pretty good. I've heard White Hermitage can be legendary but that's more than I usually want to pay.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm kind of a traditionalist with NYE, gotta have some sparkling wine. What bottles y'all popping?

For me:
NV Bourrasque Vin Mousseux. My all time favorite budget sparkler. Loire Chenin Blanc, delivers some of that luscious round texture. I ordered a lot of this out of state just to get some.
NV G.D. Vajra N.S. della Neve. Extra Brut Rosé from Piedmont. 50% Nebbiolo, 50% Pinot Nero. Should be cool, had it at a wine dinner a while back but just now getting a single bottle.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Was stocking up for a bachelor party and got 3 bottles of J. Rogét Brut. 1 per day. I've actually drank worse sparkling wine than that. Good time.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
For a while I've believed that pairing is a bell curve. There's very few that fail utterly especially if you add in some common sense. There's also very few that are sublime and greater than the sum of their parts. Most of them in the middle just work fine.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
VdP/IGP Syrah from France should age well and be lower cost. Langhe Nebbiolo another one I could think of.

I am interested in Xinomavro myself but it's harder to find. Usually I can find it in a blend with international grapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My biggest matchstick aroma/taste was drinking Boekenhoutskloof Wolftrap white blend out of South Africa. Honestly I enjoyed the effect. Then I had the next year's vintage same exact wine and the effect was way less pronounced. Mysterious.