Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

It sounds like she enjoys creamy, heavily oaked, Cali Chardonnay; two that I've had success with it this category are Mer de Soleil and Ferrari Carano, although I don't remember exactly what they cost, I think they were in your price range. I'm on the east coast though, so my knowledge of California wines is pretty basic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I think you're overthinking it; buy some second-growth Bordeaux from a non-bonanza year, store it on its side in a temperature stable environment (like somewhere cool and dark in your apartment) and drink in ten years. You can age non-expensive wine, just make sure its suitable for aging (i.e. natural cork, plenty of structure/tannins, not something fruity meant to be drunk young). Or maybe go to a nice wine bar and try some older stuff by the glass and figure out what you might like to try in a decade.

Or, if you're like me and can't wait, buy some Gran Reserva R. Lopez de Heredia wines; they age them in the cellar and release when they're ready.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

that Vai sound posted:

Is there a way to tell if a wine has gone bad from improper storage or if it was bad to begin with? Or are there too many different ways the flavor could be affected that it's not possible to tell?

On an unrelated note, what wines are a good way of introducing myself to Spanish wines?

I'm really fond of R. Lopez de Heredia's wines. The Vina Cubillo is their crianza Rioja and its incredible, but everything they make is great. Spanish wine is great because you can usually find great values for terrific wines. Another great region to check out would be Ribiero del Duero.

For getting into fortified wine, a good wine bar is probably your best bet to discover what you like without having to buy a whole bottle. There's one near me in Brooklyn that actually pours sherry for free during happy hour!

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Butch Cassidy posted:

Thanks. Sadly, the wine bar in town closed and was the only one on this end of the county. I'll keep an eye out next time I am around a decent bar to see if they stock any fortified wines.

Hmmm... are there any Spanish or Portuguese restaurants with liquor licenses? Or a really cool wine shop that does tastings of port and sherry? If not, your best bet is probably to buy small bottles, keep em in the fridge, and make your friends help drink them when they come over.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

This might be a long shot, but has anyone had success pairing wines with Sichuan cuisine? Specifically mapo dofu.

I'm having a few friends over in a couple of weeks and they've requested wine and spicy ma la action and I'm a bit stumped. Maybe reisling? Any reds spring to mind?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Thanks Y'all. I'll probably pick up a few gewurztraminers and stick a six-pack in the fridge as well. I've got some Bordeaux and Burgundy kicking around for anyone looking for pain lol.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Comb Your Beard posted:

I'm kind of a traditionalist with NYE, gotta have some sparkling wine. What bottles y'all popping?

For me:
NV Bourrasque Vin Mousseux. My all time favorite budget sparkler. Loire Chenin Blanc, delivers some of that luscious round texture. I ordered a lot of this out of state just to get some.
NV G.D. Vajra N.S. della Neve. Extra Brut Rosé from Piedmont. 50% Nebbiolo, 50% Pinot Nero. Should be cool, had it at a wine dinner a while back but just now getting a single bottle.

Pol Roger. I go back and forth with that one and Bolly. Not too pricey, but feels special.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Krug loving rules.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

If you can find them, R. Lopez de Heredia make my favorite Riojas, Cubillo and Tondonia are terrific.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Wine folly has a book as well that includes all her maps, so that could work. I also have the world atlas of wine by Jancis Robinson and it is really great, although a bit pricey. Would make an impressive gift though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Oh I see, you wanted a framed map to hang rather than a book! Sorry, not sure myself other than an internet search.