Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stitecin posted:

The annual :siren:Thanksgiving wine tips:siren: rush should keep this thread on the first page of GWS for the next week.

Does anyone have any particularly hot tips to offer beyond "buy a lot of Beaujolais"?

I guess you could get a Beaujolais Nouveau if you're buying for people that don't like good wine. With my family, I like to pick up some reserve bottles of Malbec or Carmenere to go with the food since most like/prefer reds.

Beaujolais Nouveau :barf:

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can anyone tell me what this is in my wine?

It looks like some sort of microbial culture, but I have no idea what kind. It came out of the last pour from the bottle. The wine (Sasyr Sangiovese & Syrah) didn't taste faulted at all, but that could just be due to my inexperience.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Overwined posted:

Could be sediment-seeded tartaric acid crystals as well. I see it all the time as I'm sure many do. It's not harmful to your wine in any way.

EDIT: The old-fashioned term for it is "crust".

After doing a bit of googling around for images I'm pretty sure that's what it was. They were so small and their stringy, connected structure reminded me more of a bacterial colony.

Can't say that my cork looked like this, though:

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You could always just get some big rubber pucks to set the washing machine or wine 'fridges on to isolate any vibrations.

Seems like one of those things where being friends with an engineer comes in handy.