Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

This seems like a good thread and I look forward to reading the rest of it. I worked a casual job during uni helping manage a big (16,000ish bottles) vintage wine collection for a private collector. In addition to a very extensive collection of Burgundy (plenty of Henri Jayer) and Bordeaux as well as Italian, American, Australian and New Zealand wines, it was cool to see and handle some historic bottles, like a 1945 Chateau Margaux. He also had some old madeiras by Henriques & Henriques which were vintage 1848. First bottled around 1901 or something and then re-corked in the 1950s. I understand from Google there's a few of them floating around for any of the madeira lovers in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I'm probably the only person in the thread who doesn't know, but what does managing a collection like that involve?

Well, maybe 'managing' is a little disingenuous. I should go further to explain that he was selling most of it. My employer was quite old and needed help doing a lot of the physical stuff. We worked out of a commercial wine storage facility and my role was to help organise the stock, make lists of what was to be sold, shift it off to auction houses and other collectors, etc. It was very simple work and I learned a lot about wine, although much to the disappointment of my family I didn't receive all that many free bottles.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Has anyone had Chateau de Chantemerle? I picked up a 2012 from my local because it was being spruiked as good while still affordable for a Bordeaux. The only Bordeaux I've ever drunk was an '85 Chateau Canon de Brem which was divine, and I fear my expectations will be dashed by the Chantemerle regardless.

In other news, looking forward to tasting two bottles over the coming days: a Perrier Jouet Grand Brut NV and, closer to home, A By Arras Premium Cuvee NV. It's my birthday on Saturday so I can almost justify spending $85 on the stuff. I was tempted by the slightly more expensive 2002 Pol Roger Brut as I understand it was an exceptionally good year, but I fear it would probably be wasted on my palate for the moment.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Is it Cantemerle? I distinctly remember it having an 'h' in the name. Anyway, at $25 a bottle one cannot expect it to be the same quality as a Lafite. :p But there's so little imported wine in Australia it's hard to know what to buy.

EDIT - Google tells me there is Cantemerle and Chantemerle, both from Medoc. The former is a 5th growth wine while I cannot find anything out about the latter and I don't have the bottle to hand. Talk about confusing.

Octy fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 24, 2017

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I love seeing Australian wines in foreign restaurants. I'm in Singapore and the prices are so jumped up, like the 2013 Tyrrell's Rufus Stone Heathcote Shiraz which was at $130 a bottle. It's a good, perhaps unappreciated wine, but one I can get for less than $20 in-store.