Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
Potentially dumb question here as I'm pretty new to wine so apologies in advance - I recently opened a bottle of Jean Foillard Morgon Cote du Py 2015 which was bought on recommendation (as I love Cru Beaujolais), and the first glass (I didn't decant or let it sit) had a very distinct buzz on the tongue - i.e. slight effervescence - the exact same as I've encountered when pre-packaged fruit like pineapple slices starts to ferment. It kind of overpowered the taste/nose of the wine leaving it quite simple and muted. However, trying it again after leaving it for an hour or so, it was gone, and the wine opened up and became pretty pleasant.

Was this what I suspect and some sort of slight secondary fermentation? I believe it's a low sulfur wine, is this kind of fault par for the course or was I just unlucky? Is it the kind of fault you can bring the bottle back to the store for (finished or not)?

pantsfree fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Kasumeat posted:

Yes, refermentation in bottle is quite common in low so2 wines and in my experience tends to produce off flavours. As to whether you can return it, that's going to vary from source to source. Some feel it's a natural part of natural wines, others think it's a fault. You'll have to ask your retailer.

pork never goes bad posted:

A tiny bit of spritz in a fancy Foillard is expected. It's a reason that wine is recommended to decant. I'm not sure if it's secondary (I think it's likely a result of a heavy carbonic maceration which can sometimes present as spritz in my experience), and I might be a little more into the natural wine thing than Kasumeat, but with that wine I'd call a light dusting of light fizzy texture par for the course and I certainly don't think it's a negative.

If you liked it after the fizz blew off, try the Cuvee Corcelette. And if you want to dive in to this sort of bojo, there's plenty of there there.

Cool, thanks guys. It hadn't occurred to me that it could be a result of carbonic maceration. I've never encountered it before in wine. I perceived it as a negative as it initially overwhelmed everything else and left the wine tasting quite simple. Once it started to dissipate there was a lot more fruit and complexity to be found. I thought there was a touch of funkiness present but that may be intentional. I'm a big fan of lambic etc so I'm not bothered by that either.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
In London, a lot of the magnums you will see in restaurants tend to be pretty traditional/safe/boring, that seem to be aimed at bankers who want to impress (Bordeaux, CNDP, Champagne) and often are worse value than their 750ml equivalents, and I've never seen anyone buy one. Trendier wine bars and shops do seem to be keen to stock more interesting things in magnums, though, and they seem to be really well received. Likewise for slightly unconventional bottles, i.e. Unlitro was very, very popular: https://www.noblefineliquor.co.uk/collections/italy/products/ampeleia-unilitro-rosso-2013-tuscany

Otherwise, the only time you really see larger format bottles are the trashy huge (3L+) plastic bottles of French Rose that are showing up more and more frequently at events, street food venues etc.

I've been meaning to pick up one of Le Grappin's 'Bagnums' to try - 1.5L bags-not-in-box, hear good things about the wine, be super convenient to bring to a BBQ.

i.e. https://www.eebria.com/products/wine/le-grappin/2575-rouge-du-grappin-bagnum-beaujolais-villages

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
I had always thought that those aromas were from various esters created during fermentation (and carbonic maceration produces more of these than conventional fermentation) and that the reason they’re so pronounced in Beaujolais nouveau is that the wine is in the bottle (and drunk) within weeks so these more volatile compounds don’t have a chance to break down.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
Which Coonawarra producers would people recommend? I'm wary as I'm from South Australia, but my memory of the wine was only ever the over-extracted, manipulated stuff that Dads would drink, and that I steer clear of entirely now.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
Twice in the past few months, I've encountered what the internet is telling me is a reduction fault - wine that smells/tastes strongly of canned corn (Dimethyl sulfide?). First in a cheapish St. Chinian red, which was absolutely vile and undrinkable, and then an Aussie (Mornington Peninsula) pinot noir, where it was noticeable and spoiled the wine but not as overwhelmingly awful.

Both were 2015s, one was a screwcap, one a cork. Both had been in my wine rack for less than a year. In both cases it didn't blow off after being left open overnight.

How does this happen? Is this the sort of thing where you can just have bad luck, or could I be causing this through storage conditions in any way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
So if it occurs during vinification then wouldn’t it affect the whole vintage? I find it hard to believe that anyone would have knowingly released a wine that tasted as foul as the first one I encountered.

Is there any way DMS could develop in bottle? The internet is giving pretty mixed information on this.