Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Any opinions on https://us.nakedwines.com/ ? I got a handful of vouchers for $100 packed in with other things I've ordered, but they all require you spend $160 to use (so $160 of wine for $60). I think I get the idea behind the site but no real idea if anything they carry is any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I usually don't keep wine around the house other than a few good wines for cooking with or the occasional meal that calls for a glass. I definitely enjoy wine, I frequent tastings and one of my go-to evenings out is just hanging out with my friend who manages a wine bar and tasting our way through their menu. I just never got in the habit of buying bottles.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

idiotsavant posted:

So here's the thing - when you see "SPARKLY GIRL CHARDONNAY HALF OFF!!!" it basically indicates the type of wine these guys are going to sell. The wine might not be "bad" in that it'll probably be unflawed, drinkable, and even enjoyable to a large section of the wine-drinking public. If that's you, go ahead and try it if you think you're getting your money's worth!

At the same time, if you're looking to learn more about wine or develop your palate there are better ways. If you have a friend with a wine bar go ahead and taste stuff, and figure out a) where you can buy the stuff you like and b) if there are any importer/distributor portfolios that you tend to enjoy. Part of the process is also figuring out value, and most of that is pretty personal. For example, I don't know Chinon super well, but Domaine Baudry's basic cuvee costs something like $15/btl and is a fantastic example of Loire Valley Cabernet franc. I think it's a great value. If you don't enjoy lighter, somewhat acidic wines with a good whack of bell pepper on top you might not want to spend $180 on a case, though. If you DO like that then look up the importer/distributor (Kermit Lynch in this case) and check out what else they carry. Chances are there'll be some themes you can explore, and hopefully it'll lead to other stuff you're interested in.
'

These are good words and echo a lot of what my friend says. I guess I should start paying more attention to the importers/specific makers more than just looking at varietal and terroir.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

idiotsavant posted:

Sent a message.

My 2016 Albariņo is loving awesome. Salty and mineral, but still has some gushy fruit to it. It's a total easy drinker but there's enough of a core behind it to make things interesting. I'm drinking it right now out of a 1L flip-top bottle I pulled straight from the barrel and it's goddamn delicious. It's totally unfined and murky but I still want to bottle and release it asap. It's a wine I want to drink out of growlers. I''m really, really excited about it - fingers crossed that I don't mess it up somehow :derp:

This sounds like something I need in my east coast life. I've been on a huge Albariņo kick, always hunting for more of that mineral taste.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Any recommendations for shops to visit in New Jersey? I like the idea of snooping around for '04 bottles of higher valued vineyards and getting to enjoy on the cheap(ish).

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

idiotsavant posted:

gently caress yes, Joe Canal's in NJ. I'm not sure of the location but it's in a strip mall next to a big lots! and across from an office depot and the buyer is loving insane. She has baller single-grower champagne, Roija going back to like the 1800's or some poo poo, and a badass madeira section. Bunch of LDM portfolio stuff, it's sick.

It's a total crap-rear end NJ liquor warehouse in a strip mall and then you walk in and you're like "oh that's 1950's Lopez de Heredia and a full wall display of Ulysses Collin oh and a whole pile of l'ancien uh what the gently caress is happening here"

Uh. Was this south or north jersey? Turns out there's several Joe Canal's near big lots.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Can anyone speak to wine distribution in the US? I'm trying to put together a list of bottles to gather for Thanksgiving dinner, and now to filter down the list I figured I'd just stick to what I can buy locally. Turns out of the 11 prospective wines I had in mind none of them, including different vintages, are available. I get that there is a lot of wine out there, but literally 0/11? Guess I'm just going to be stuck standing in aisles trying to Google bottles that catch my eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Comb Your Beard posted:

I live in the DC area. It's not uncommon for a bottle (any vintage) to be available no where in the entire city on wine searcher, with NYC being the closest place or even further afield. How did you arrive at that list anyway? Sounds very specific.

I keep notes on stuff I've tasted/when/what I had it with. So I dug through things I've had in the past year that I enjoyed, were less than $40/btl, and paired with flavors/items I am planning to put on the table for Thanksgiving.

E: the difficulty comes because I am shopping away from my usual shops/helpful employees so I'll just be trying to figure out where best to shop for wine between Tampa/Orlando/St. Pete

Double E: I wasn't planning on buying 11 bottles (just 4)