Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinny
Aug 15, 2015

Admirable Gusto posted:

I got a bottle of Lopez de Heredia's 1994 Gran Reserva on a whim and it was amazing; can anyone recommend other riojas? I know basically nothing about Spanish wine

A traditional producer that makes consistently outstanding wines is La Rioja Alta. Seek out their Gran Reserva if you can, but their Reservas are also great wines and priced well.

Muga is more of a modern-style player and they make very good stuff as well.

Spain has a loving incredible quality:price ratio so it pays to check out the wines. If you're in the USA, look at a bottle's back label and if the importer is Jorge Ordoñez, buy with confidence 'cause that guy imports primo stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinny
Aug 15, 2015
Just wanted to share today's wine:

William Fevre Chablis, 'Fourchaume' 1er Cru 2011

The wine is full of beautiful minerality, plus lemon, just-ripe green pear, oyster shell, cheese rind, and almond skin.

As Burgundy goes, Chablis represents incredible value compared to the Chardonnays of the Côte d'Or. Even Fevre's entry-level Chablis is a really nice wine and hard to beat at the price point. This particular wine comes from the Premier Cru of Fourchaume. Fourchaume is generally considered one of the best Premier Cru sites partially due to its South-West facing exposure. this is similar to the Grand Cru sites, shown clustered together in one contiguous area on the hillsides North of the town of Chablis itself:

Fourchaume shares this SW exposure, shown here NW of the Grand Cru vineyards. This maximizes the vines' exposure to the intense afternoon sun, which is essential to ripening grapes in such a marginal climate as Chablis. The other Premier Cru sites (with a few exceptions such as Montée de Tonnerre and Mont-de-Milieu) face SE, giving them more of the morning sun and less of the more potent afternoon sun. I don't think I've ever had a truly bad Chablis, and the Premier Cru and Grand Cru bottlings are often stunning.

In summary, everyone should drink Chablis, especially if you think you don't like Chardonnay 'cause this poo poo will blow your mind.

Skinny
Aug 15, 2015

Stitecin posted:

Winemakers are partially at fault, but so are restaurant owners, somms, wineshop owners, clerks, "wine educators", and whoever else has failed to convince the wine buying public that screw caps are less risky than cork.

I can't put our To Kalon under screw cap and watch it gather dust even if I think it is the right thing to do.

It's happening, but slowly. Certain clientele continue to have expectations regarding closures that aren't going to go away no matter what anyone says. As a somm, I've tried to 'convince' my guests that screw caps are not an indication of quality in and of themselves, but that isn't going to stop the occasional individual from sending it back.

I was once told by a guest that I should be embarrassed for offering Ben Glaetzer's Bishop Shiraz because it was under screw cap. Of course, he expected me to discount Glaetzer's Amon Ra down to the same price since "the only difference is the cork."

It's a consumer perception thing. They expect a luxury product to have a luxurious presentation, and to some people screw cap = cheap or tacky presentation.

The upshot is that as we continue to demystify wine, old attitudes are changing. But it won't happen overnight.

Skinny
Aug 15, 2015
Just passed the Advanced Sommelier Exam in Portland! The San Francisco Bay Area had a good showing this year, and 3 out of the 4 people in my study group passed. The one that didn't pass crushed service & theory but didn't make it on blind tasting. Nerves can be a killer...

Skinny
Aug 15, 2015
Thanks! Luckily, the blind tasting format allows for some leeway since your final conclusions aren't quite as important as your breakdown & assessment leading up to it. Like math class, you show your work.

At the Certified level, it's just one white & one red and the wines are pretty recognizable (I got Mosel Valley Riesling & California Pinot for my Certified exam). Advanced-level wines start to get pretty tough, though. There were six wines and I knew I nailed 4 of them, and my assessment of the others was strong enough to get me through with a good score even if I probably missed the conclusions.

I agree that a somm is rarely put in a position on the floor where blind tasting matters. But I see why the Court emphasizes it. I've learned so much and I don't think my palate would be this sharp without all the tasting practice.

Skinny
Aug 15, 2015
Kasumeat, I understand where you're coming from. It's definitely not a perfect system, but I've gotten a lot out of it. YMMV

I actually didn't cowboy/instinctively nail any of the wines. It was all deductive. Lees, barrel-aging, malolactic, impact aromas, etc are all a vital part of the process. Doing it in time is a huge challenge, though.

We blinded spirits & sparkling as part of the theory exam, but it is true that they are not part of usual lineup of blind wines.

Pass rates have been very low the past few Advanced exams (11-16% or so). The Court made the application process very tough for 2016 in order to hopefully bring up the pass rate. This time around, we had 28 pass out of I think 70, which is a very good success rate.

Skinny fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 16, 2016

Skinny
Aug 15, 2015
Thanks! I'm based in San Jose. Our study group is a mix of people in SF itself plus some in the south bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinny
Aug 15, 2015
To be fair, I'd rather drink something neutral & generic like most Italian Pinot Grigio than something outright offensive like most Argentinian Torrontés.

I agree that overly-oaked, overly-alcoholic wines (both new world and old world) are the wine world's equivalent of overly-hopped beer. On the bright side, in both markets the pendulum is starting to swing away from the extreme and we're seeing more nuanced use of oak/hops.

It starts & ends with the consumer, like Kasumeat said.