Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone care to give me a rundown on Wine Tasting etiquette?

I went to my first one this weekend and felt like a lost retard.

The water between varieties of wine. Drink, spit, what? I've heard to spit the wine out as you drink, rather than actually consume. Yes, no?

What other stupid poo poo did I likely do / should I avoid? I had fun, but want to know a bit more for the next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

First off, enjoy yourself, and anyone that makes you feel uncomfortable is a jerk.

Yeah, no worries there. Noone did. I just felt kinda retarded because I know nothing.

Fortunately I live in a part of Virginia that is _really_ close to all the Virginia vineyards, so while I obviously need to expand beyond local wines, it's a great place to do some tastings / dates.

Should I try to hit wine specialty shops over vineyards for tastings?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Any good books to teach me more about wines / whatever?
Internet is scary and I can only do so many tastings and whatnot. Plus I have a 1hr busride twice a day, may as well.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

4liters posted:

What are y'all drinking for christmas? I got a couple of bottles of the 08 Seppelt Salinger, and a bottle each of penfolds bin 389 cab shiraz, and bin 311 chardy.

2010 Zeppelin Winery Colossus Syrah that I picked up off wine.woot.com, opening it shortly.