Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subtlet
Jun 10, 2004
You say that all the time
" a pretty good and pretty simple guide to the German Pradikat... "

Total deliciousness wrapped in an intimidating shroud of complexity?

German Riesling = nerd juice
Burgundy = rich nerd juice

It's like a puzzle that feeds you candy after you figure it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subtlet
Jun 10, 2004

Kaji posted:

While cleaning out an uncle's storage unit who let me have everything as long as I cleaned it. I discovered a few bottles of 30 year old wine. I am not a wine drinker so I would like to know if it's really worth what it says on Wine-Searcher. What can I do with it? Is it legal to sell it?

1986 Chateau Leoville-Las-Cases 'Grand Vin de Leoville du Marquis de Las Cases', Saint-Julien, France.

1986 Ridge Vineyards Monte Bello Cabernet Sauvignon, Santa Cruz Mountains, USA

1979 The Monterey Vineyard Classic California Dry White (found nothing on this)

Here are my thoughts:

Wine Searcher is usually reasonably accurate. Like anything collectible though, that usually represents sales by dealers. Since the law surrounding alcohol sales is different in every state, selling things can be tricky.

The first two are certainly well regarded wines, and they've probably got some value. The biggest problem here is that I'm guessing that this storage area wasn't climate controlled. In the worst case, if it's been sitting through seasonal temp swings in a sealed aluminum box for 30 years, the wine is ruined, and you've got novelty bottles. Even under ideal storage conditions, the white wine is probably toast. (Although I don't know the producer either, I may be wrong.) If it was climate controlled, but not really a professional wine storage facility, there's still substantial risk that the wine is dead. If you're unsure of the storage quality, you're going to have a real hard time moving it through any sort of normal auction or retail channel.

My advice is to ask your uncle about how it was stored. My assumption is that the history is probably pretty sketchy. Of course, this means that none of it is terribly valuable, but it's still not necessarily garbage either. If you have any friends that are into wine, just be honest about where you got them, and see if they're willing to trade you for something you value. Some shops may still be willing to pay you at a huge mark down too.

Subtlet
Jun 10, 2004
Thanks for posting this note. Torii Mor was one of the first wineries that got me excited when I first got into wine. I still enjoy some of their releases, but I haven't tasted the 2009 yet. Now I'll be keeping my eyes open for one.

Subtlet
Jun 10, 2004
Good to see you back Overwined! What have you been drinking lately? I'm all excited about 2010 Mosel Riesling.

Subtlet
Jun 10, 2004

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Has anyone seen that Maynard James Keenan documentary Blood Into Wine? Do his wines live up to the hype, or anything others from Arizona? I missed a chance to see A Perfect Circle play in Seattle last year and they had some fancy wine tasting event right before the performance each night. :(

I saw the documentary, and I really enjoyed most of it. I tasted through a few of their wines last year, the 2008 Arizona Stronghold Mangus, the 2006 Merkin Vineyards Chupacabra, and the 2007 Caduceus Primer Paso. I thought the Primer Paso was really solid, and I am pretty interested in trying more like that. The other two were decent as well. Since they're cheaper, I still think they're worth checking out if you're curious.

Subtlet
Jun 10, 2004

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

UHH OHHHHHHHHHHH

It's already been discussed, but I am discontinuing my relationship with Garagiste because I make the mistake of checking my email drunk and end up buying too much wine.

4/20 knows better, but he can't resist Garagiste's late night booty calls.

I had some Pinot Noir "Krafuss" from Alois Lageder. Hot drat! Italian Pinot Noir is on my map now for sure. There was a great balance between the acidity and fruit here. The fruit was delicious and long lasting with lots of lovable bright character across the entire palate.

http://www.aloislageder.eu/en/krafuss_pinot_noir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subtlet
Jun 10, 2004
This may be bad news for Texas wine, but I look forward to arguments about whether the East Bank (Wisconsin) or West Bank (Minnesota) of the Northern Mississippi River delivers the best expression of cool climate Syrah.

http://www.catchwine.com/wineries/minnesota/