Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I was crushed to find out that mywinesdirect.com shut down. I assume that anyone who knows anything about wine either never heard of them or wishes them good riddance, but it was the only place I've found so far that ships wine to Pennsylvania. They had sales on every few weeks which allowed me to both stock up on decent wine for $10/bottle or less AND boycott stupid PA laws. I'm glad I don't have refined taste in wine so that I could enjoy their stuff.

There goes my budding wine hobby :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

Hi I am trying to find a decent bargain Madeira wine. Unfortunately I am in Pennsylvania and we have pretty strict laws about shipping in wine from outside the state.

Wine.com ships a subset of their wine to Pennsylvania (go to the site and it'll ask you to pick your state - after that, anything listed can be shipped). Also, I think a bill to allow domestic wineries to ship to PA passed the senate a while back, but I'm not sure what happened to it. Google News is just giving me results for the recent attempt to allow private stores and restaurants to sell bottles.

We live in a lovely state :sympathy:

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Hi wine thread, I have a dumb question. You know how Cellar Tracker has the date range in which you should drink a wine? How important is it to drink the wine by the end of that range? I have 15 or so random bottles from My Wines Direct, which shut down in 2011. It's not very good wine, but coworkers and I began hoarding it when we realized that they would deliver to PA and their $10 bottles were slightly better than the average $10 bottle in the state liquor stores.

Most of them have a drinking range ending in 2014 or before. Obviously I won't die if I drink them now and that's not my question. I'm wondering if I can hold onto some of them for much longer, so that in 20 years I can tell the story of PA being a backwards moronic hellscape of temperance and getting hooch delivered to the office under the nose of the revenuers, and then cracking open some lovely wine of yesteryear. Or are they all going to be spoiled by then and I should drink them now?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Got it, thanks. If the answer isn't "they'll mostly be fine in 20 years" then I'll just drink them now. The whole bootlegger thing was just sarcasm to soften my idiot question.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Overwined posted:

Out of curiosity, what has stopped you from drinking them up to now? You've been holding these $10 bottles for, what, 4 years now?

I don't know, I stopped drinking them when My Wines Direct went under, and have just been buying other bottles from the state store to drink since.