Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
That's the funny thing about Startups. Most ideas "have been taken", "someone just got funded", "you'll never get traction". You must get past this to be successful.

My start up in is in the Education/Tutoring space. We are about to launch in the Raleigh/Durham, NC area in the coming weeks. There are a few competitors we are dealing with (most notably Tutorspree and Skillshare). Fortunately, I have a hypothesis that they are doing something that isn't going to be sustainable and they don't have the correct long-term goal. They have gotten initial funding, yes. But their philosophy can be outdone by our's. We've been shut down by some of the local start-up initiatives because we just have an idea, but luckily our website is almost ready, and revenue and hard data is always a good thing.

And even if this idea is a market that can't be approached, just being in the mindset of creating ideas is just enough. But make a product. Not a business plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Keevon posted:

I like this thread idea and I'd be happy to contribute what I can. For what it's worth, I'm a Y-combinator alumni (someone in here mentioned PG), and recently sold my company to Motorola Mobility. I'd be happy to talk about the experience or give my advice, whatever that may be worth.

I would love to know how you got into Y-Combinator, as I may be pursuing some of the startup incubators.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

powderific posted:

We had to remove one member of our LLC without the help of an operating agreement

Could you talk more about this? We are facing a possible situation quite similar to this, except that we haven't officially formed the business yet. (Person in question isn't fulfilling promises, pulling own weight in the project)

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Powderific, thanks, all good points for me and my partner to reflect on.

quote:

4. The grid of available names/logos may be sending me in the wrong direction. Is that your inventory of available names and that's what I get to run with right now? I'm much more interested in having a quick conversation with you about what my startup idea is and paying you $X for a clever name/domain and logo within a week.

I'd buy that service right now. We are currently using Knackeo, but I think we need a better name and logo, mainly because of issues around pronouncing it.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Deception posted:

I live in this area, what kind of education tutoring are you doing?

Essentially, everything! We are lining up teachers in a lot of areas that aren't usually covered by traditional tutoring websites, whether it be driving, meat butchers, or composting! But we'll have the old standbys too, like Piano, Math, English, etc. The most important thing I think that we are doing is keeping track of what you're learning, so that you can use that experience elsewhere and show off skills that you've learned from our teachers. We want to be a "signal" that people can use to show off their talents, in addition to traditional learning sources (College, certification schools, etc).

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
As someone who tried an education startup called Knackeo...

good luck with people spelling/pronouncing it right.

That said, I needed a bunch of Python classes, so thanks for this :)

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

swyys posted:

Totally hearya... already registered 3 typo domains and trying to get my friends to stop spelling "knollup". Glad to hear about the Python interest-- the one that just ended at Coursera has been getting extremely interesting and glowing reviews :)

btw that's really cool-- what was your involvement in Knackeo? Any chance CourseHorse is/was your direct competitor?

Hadn't seen the Coursera one, will also check that out!

I was one of the 4 founders and worked on it full time for about a year (at least until I ran out of personal savings and contract jobs). Didn't know of CourseHorse, but yes, that and Skillshare are similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Ooner posted:

edit: I love this idea. I want to invest a million dollars in it. I wish I had a million dollars.

Where were you when I was trying to launch Knackeo.com? That would have kept us up and running... :sigh:

---

Long story short, I tried this in 2011-2012. (RIP) Basically, you've nailed down the toughest challenge: organizing the teachers (finding classroom space), and finding the teachers in the first place. Fortunately, there are plenty of teachers right now that need this. Beer Brewing stores, dance studios, lots of places hold classes already, but are doing it via email registration and checks at the door. You could be their online presence for them, similar to EventBrite does for meetings and conventions.

Once you start getting a steady flow of teachers and learners, the next step is facilitating the learning, finding new classes for the learners to take. Let them show off their progress, and since you know what skills they have, you can either recommend more advanced classes to them (which helps the teachers find more students as well) or turn them into teachers after they've taken enough classes.

15% is a good number, and the website is top notch. Good luck, and PM me if you need more advice, as I'm intimately related with this type of venture and really want this idea to succeed!

• Locked thread