Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swyys
Sep 20, 2012

Hey all! Delurk and hopefully a contribution as well.

sink and I have been working on a startup called Knollop for the past couple months. Knollop is a portal for online education and its goal is to organize and personalize online learning materials in a meaningful way, whether it be MOOCs, OCWs, educational podcasts, independent modules, looseleaf tutorials, or really effin informative scalaz blogposts. Its current incarnation provides three verticals of functionality: keyword education search, reviews and ratings of learning materials, and education profile management. Ultimately, we are going to create knowledge dependency graphs by using automated introspection of course materials to reverse engineer very granular concepts (do you *really* need diffeq to understand the predator prey model? ). These smart topic hierarchies coupled with a very rich normalized course schema will hopefully allow us to create "learning pathways" for users based on learning preferences and prior knowledge.

Info for the curious: We're in beta right now, steadily building up our database of providers and expanding our course schema, but the last 2 months have already been very eye-opening. Our stack is Django + Postgresql which is in the process of being migrated to Play (scala) + MongoDB. We've been doing a lot of experimental backend development for augmenting our scrapers with NLP capabilities and concept inference, the results of which will be exposed after the migration (and some clever UI design brainstorming). On the non-tech side of things, we've been learning a lot about user interaction, dynamics in the education industry, and trying to pick up business skills.

Anyway, words words words. It'd be awesome if you could let us know what you think or if you have any questions :D

swyys fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swyys
Sep 20, 2012

Nybble posted:

As someone who tried an education startup called Knackeo...

good luck with people spelling/pronouncing it right.

That said, I needed a bunch of Python classes, so thanks for this :)

Totally hearya... already registered 3 typo domains and trying to get my friends to stop spelling "knollup". Glad to hear about the Python interest-- the one that just ended at Coursera has been getting extremely interesting and glowing reviews :)

btw that's really cool-- what was your involvement in Knackeo? Any chance CourseHorse is/was your direct competitor?

swyys
Sep 20, 2012

unixbeard posted:

swyys, I think you should provide the option to create an account for your site. Many people are stuck behind corporate firewalls that block things like facebook and g+.

working on it as I, er, type! I think we're schedule to push it out tomorrow!

I have to admit I've been pretty embarrassed that it wasn't implemented sooner :blush: but seriously, thanks for dropping a note!

swyys
Sep 20, 2012

snagger posted:

Sweet! Thanks for posting.

You've already got my brother's classes up in the music category. Thanks for that! :buddy:

No prob! Actually, now I have a question... we have teacher pages on the site. Are those something that you think your brother, as instructor, would like to have access to for editing?

http://knollop.com/teachers/Dr.-Kris-Maloy/

snagger posted:

Speaking of my brother's classes, can you guys critique our landing pages?

http://ude.my/bre63
http://ude.my/buaaj

The only content we can really change is the introductory video, text, and what videos are viewable for free.

We haven't really done much to improve these (outside a tiny amount of SEO work) since we put the classes up, but I'd like to try to optimize the content before making a SA-Mart thread.

Yup! There are several things:
1) Your introductory text is sorely lacking, both in your brother's description of the course and in his bio. Seeing as you're charging, you need to make it stand out from all the free content out there on the web (for example, we've seen plenty of free OCW material on the web). It's true that you'll learn these bits and pieces of theory, but *why* would the average person want to? Will they then be able to deconstruct their favorite music or find it easier to move onto playing a cover on some other instrument? Is this especially good supplementary material for string musicians? Given your lecture content, it seems like the course (I'm looking at the first one) will not cover more than what you'll get for free learning piano and guitar, as they always come with standard music theory, but not necessarily other instruments. Also, why is your brother the one people should be learning from... talk about his exact experience and anything applicable to working with beginners. In any case, just make sure to connect with users clicking through.
2) Price! You're on the high end of Udemy price points. Tons of people will drop $20 to take the most absurd classes (earthworm composting). I won't claim to be an expert on Udemy pricing, but I would research a little more thoroughly. I'm sure people would be several hundred to take a course, but right now it looks to me like the exchange is $300 to learn... intervals, and I'm not even sure what I would use them for. I could do that with some google.
In any case, good luck! I studied music so always happy to see another musician succeed in a non-performance context. :cheers:

swyys
Sep 20, 2012

chupacabra--

I am very impressed by your search autosuggest! Anyway, it's really cool to see more sites try to integrate domain specific semantic/OG-type search. I gave it a whirl and it's pretty intuitive-- the search facet confirmation after you enter is really neat as well. Now I want to do the same thing for my site :buddy:

I know you're just in beta and have limited listings, and are probably trying to conserve the cleanliness of the front page, but have you considered adding some listings and/or place/facet suggestions below the fold? I had some problems figuring out exactly how to search without receiving empty results.

swyys
Sep 20, 2012

bee-- how are you different from Skillshare and Udemy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swyys
Sep 20, 2012

quote:

Is this, perhaps, a reflection on how you view employees in general?

• Locked thread