Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
A service to resell good domains to startups is one thing but prebranding them with logos is ridiculous and detrimental to those potential businesses. Branding doesn't work like that, or rather, good branding doesn't work like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Branding is not branding if it doesn't take into account the actual dynamics of the company the branding is for, their competition, their goals, their audience, etc.

Creating random logos is just graphic arts: not even graphic design and certainly not branding.

There are already a million places a lazy and lovely startup guy can find a logo at for cheap, why bother, and why target the bottom of the barrel anyway? People that go for that sort of thing probably aren't going to get anywhere with their business. I know there's a school of lean startup thought that completely disregards branding but that's a huge mistake, at the very least drop a grand and get a really good identity freelancer to put something together.

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 16, 2011

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

sry4partying posted:

Brandbucket.com is WILDLY successful with their business, and we want to take a slice of that. I guess I posted here not to see if this is a viable business model (it is, see brandbucket), but maybe to look for a way to execute better or potentially differentiate ourselves from them.

I don't really give a poo poo it's harmful to the entire startup environment. There are lots of big markets where you can exploit dumb people that doesn't make it good business as I see it. Anyway, you're right in that we're off topic.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Hire a commercial realtor to find you something?

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Creepy Goat posted:

Don't have plat, my email is *bleep*.

Ughh I would love this, but I am across the pond. It's very difficult to find anyone to even have lighthearted business discussions with where I live, everyone is either a student at the two not-so-great universities and not interested, or fulltime retail workers. It's very stifling when you can't have casual face-to-face discussions about these things :(

Google+ Hangouts seem like a more reasonable way to do this. I've been using them for accountability groups (as well as keeping in touch with friends spread about the country by using it to play remote games of cards or whatever). Face to face is best but...this is an internet forum.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Maluco Marinero posted:

The app is called Elephant and it's a productivity application that makes your note taking much more powerful

The idea your brand is trying to operate with (elephants have great memories) is pretty much on lockdown by Evernote, who obviously also dominate the space you're trying to operate in. Not directly, but close enough that I'd look for another identity idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

tuyop posted:

What's the go-to Ecommerce solution for providing an actual, physical service with your website as a point of sale? (In Canada)

You might want to check out Launch27. Otherwise you can put something together yourself using Stripe/Recurely/etc. and some boilerplate HTML. Woocommerce would work surprisingly well if you wanted a CMS, lots of extensions to support subscription services, etc.

• Locked thread