Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So are there any good paranormal/cryptid kinda podcasts that aren't either complete idiots going 'I FELT COLD WHEN I WENT INTO MY HOUSE SO THIS IS 100% PROOF OF GHOSTS' or smug dicks laughing at the very concept of strange things happening? I tried listening to the Weird Things podcast and while they had some hilarious moments, I had to filter through 20 minute libertarian rambling and "GUYS THE SINGULARITY IS COMING RIGHT NOW IF ONLY STUPID OBAMA HADN'T RUINED NASA AND LITERALLY KILLED SCIENCE SPACEX SAVE US!!!!" stuff and eventually got sick of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Glitterbomber posted:

So are there any good paranormal/cryptid kinda podcasts that aren't either complete idiots going 'I FELT COLD WHEN I WENT INTO MY HOUSE SO THIS IS 100% PROOF OF GHOSTS' or smug dicks laughing at the very concept of strange things happening? I tried listening to the Weird Things podcast and while they had some hilarious moments, I had to filter through 20 minute libertarian rambling and "GUYS THE SINGULARITY IS COMING RIGHT NOW IF ONLY STUPID OBAMA HADN'T RUINED NASA AND LITERALLY KILLED SCIENCE SPACEX SAVE US!!!!" stuff and eventually got sick of it.

A friend of mine and I were going to have a podcast where we'd talk about paranormal stuff. See, I used to believe in it all, but now I've become 100% totally disillusioned with it all, I sincerely believe that ghosts don't exist. My friend still really does, so we'd be discussing these things from both sides.

We made one episode, but then realized that someone else could probably do this a lot better.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Glitterbomber posted:

Sounds like the best you could hope for is something like Caustic Soda or Tank Riot, which cover "odd" topics with equal amounts of research and amusement. They both are willing to wryly consider just about anything without making GBS threads on it as a concept (Caustic Soda more than Tank Riot), but they never come off as True Believers or whatever.
http://www.causticsodapodcast.com/2012/01/29/demons/
http://www.causticsodapodcast.com/2011/11/21/brainwashing-and-mind-control/
http://www.tankriot.com/2011/111/
http://www.tankriot.com/2009/070/
http://www.tankriot.com/2008/049/

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

My favorite podcast right now, since I have barely heard any of the show is Snap Judgement NPR's storytelling hour with a beat.

I know you weren't looking for a recommendation, but anyone who likes Snap Judgement should check out Definitely Not The Opera from CBC Radio.

I'm looking for cooking and food related podcasts. I'm a big fan of Cooking Issues and I'd like anything with a similar focus on modern cooking techniques and trends.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So what comic book/comic book 'culture' podcasts don't suck nards? Right now all I have is Major Spoilers which is a nice kinda 'technical' look I suppose but I'm looking for a more, I don't even know really I guess 'light hearted'? Like, are there any 'just kinda talk and joke about comics' podcasts that don't have every five minutes broken into how much they want to creepy-gently caress Catwoman or other terrible nerdisms?

Bronsonite
Jul 29, 2010
Really liked the history podcasts mentioned, 12 Byzantine Rulers, The Chinese History Podcast (The 8 part series on Deng seemed like a really good over view of how modern China got to where it is), and the Russian Rulers podcast (Vlad the greats life story is a comic book).

For cooking podcasts America's Test Kitchen started doing a podcast and I really think of them as the gold standard of cooking shows. The really focus on the science of cooking and make an effort to do recipes that are good and reasonable to do.

I like The Naked Scientist and wonder if their are other podcasts with their format? A broad overview of science with interviews of scientists/engineers.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Rockzilla posted:

I know you weren't looking for a recommendation, but anyone who likes Snap Judgement should check out Definitely Not The Opera from CBC Radio.

Any recommendations for particular episodes?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
For any Disney fans out there, I just discovered a really interesting podcast called Wedway Radio. It's hosted by two brothers who are apparently amateur Disney historians, and every week they pick a theme park topic and discuss the history of that part of the Disney Parks. Specific rides, park changes over time, behind-the-scenes corporate business, etc. There's a great mix of show topics in their catalog. The show features a number of audio clips from the parks, soundbytes from Walt Disney explaining his plans for Disneyland and "The Florida Project", and music from all over the Disney parks, which makes for a great listen on long car rides (I may have spent my Sunday driving around listening to this podcast for a few hours...)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Glitterbomber posted:

So what comic book/comic book 'culture' podcasts don't suck nards? Right now all I have is Major Spoilers which is a nice kinda 'technical' look I suppose but I'm looking for a more, I don't even know really I guess 'light hearted'? Like, are there any 'just kinda talk and joke about comics' podcasts that don't have every five minutes broken into how much they want to creepy-gently caress Catwoman or other terrible nerdisms?

The only comic book podcast on my subscription list is Non-Canonical, and I think it's pretty solid. They have a pretty professional format. They do news, what they're reading, and a feature section every week. The feature ranges from interviews to just longer bullshitting about whatever is in the news. The "what we're reading" section is nice because it hits a bit of everything; indy and big two, current and older stuff. Their tastes don't overlap too much (although they like Slott's run on Spider-Man a bit too much :goonsay: ), so it's fun to listen to them and hear about comics you may not have heard of otherwise.

Off the top of my head, I don't think I've been embarrassed to listen to it, aside from the usual "oh god I'm listening to other people talk about comic books."

Also, thanks for the link to the WEDway radio podcast. I am bizarrely :swoon: about disney, and the only other Disney podcast I've tried (the Inside the Magic podcast) was a bit too fanboy-ish for my tastes.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Does anyone know of any other shows like The Bugle, a sort of light-hearted look at world affairs? Most news/politics podcasts I see are very focused on one country and/or very dry. I do love The Bugle though.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Ianiniho posted:

Does anyone know of any other shows like The Bugle, a sort of light-hearted look at world affairs? Most news/politics podcasts I see are very focused on one country and/or very dry. I do love The Bugle though.

Have you tried Wait Wait... Don't tell me? It's fairly US-centric but incredibly entertaining, and if you don't like a panel member, thats ok because they rotate around fairly often.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Myrmidongs posted:

Have you tried Wait Wait... Don't tell me? It's fairly US-centric but incredibly entertaining, and if you don't like a panel member, thats ok because they rotate around fairly often.

Hold on a mufuckin minute and think here. Wait wait don't tell me is yearning toward humor and some barely achieving it, while inching away from relevance. This is what we turn off our radios for. This is what we download podcasts to avoid.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey guys, if you remember the GBS thread where we found out about the horrific ten dicked dragon robot otherkin who want to invade an African nation to take it over for their crazy nerd-home, the pod cast The F Plus did an episode on it. It was recommended before but pretty much it's a group of people who read and mock horrific and stupid internet forum posts or blogs, and it's pretty great. Figured it was worth a re-recommend for covering a topic that...'amused' us so.

http://thefpl.us/index.php

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Glitterbomber posted:

Hey guys, if you remember the GBS thread where we found out about the horrific ten dicked dragon robot otherkin who want to invade an African nation to take it over for their crazy nerd-home, the pod cast The F Plus did an episode on it. It was recommended before but pretty much it's a group of people who read and mock horrific and stupid internet forum posts or blogs, and it's pretty great. Figured it was worth a re-recommend for covering a topic that...'amused' us so.

http://thefpl.us/index.php

I was thinking of making a thread about The F Plus because it's awesome. Anyone who reads and/or posts in the kinds of threads that pop up here that make fun of insane poo poo (Malatoria, TVTropes, ect) would love it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I was thinking of making a thread about The F Plus because it's awesome. Anyone who reads and/or posts in the kinds of threads that pop up here that make fun of insane poo poo (Malatoria, TVTropes, ect) would love it.

Yea it pretty much rules for you if you've ever read any given GBS/D&D/PYF 'let's mock these idiots' thread. Them and Lou Reads have saved me much brain damage by reading stupid things for me.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Mescal posted:

Hold on a mufuckin minute and think here. Wait wait don't tell me is yearning toward humor and some barely achieving it, while inching away from relevance. This is what we turn off our radios for. This is what we download podcasts to avoid.

I listen to a good amount of podcasts, among them is the podcast version of Wait, Wait when I don't catch it on the radio. People are allowed to like things even if you don't. :colbert:

I have been a long time fan of Mbmbam, Complete Guide, a bunch of the How Stuff Works podcasts (my favorite being Stuff Mom Never Told You), Radiolab, The Bugle, Savage Love...the list goes on and on, I'm a bit of a podcast junkie. Gonna try F Plus and Smartest Man in the World based on recommendations in this thread. I recently listened to all of the back episodes of Throwing Shade after they got picked up on the maximum fun network. It has become one of my new favorites, has same sort of ridiculous humor found in mbmbam with a bit of a inappropriateness and politics thrown in for good measure.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Just wanted to get a recommendation on good general sports podcasts other than Bill Simmons and the repeats of PTI. Any suggestions?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I don't know how many people here might listen to it, but The History of Rome podcast will soon be ending after a truly excellent 5 years. If you have even a passing interest in history or Rome or just enjoy hearing a soothing voice then you cannot go wrong with this one. I've learned so much about Rome and western history its not even funny.

Does anybody have any other history podcasts to recommend? I'm going to need a new fix.

e: The History of Rome is going to end with something like 170+ twenty minute episodes, so don't be afraid that you'll fall in love only to lose it fast. There's an awful lot of listening to be done.

e2: people were mentioning it on the first page. Sad day :(

How are u fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 2, 2012

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

dnbrwn posted:

Just wanted to get a recommendation on good general sports podcasts other than Bill Simmons and the repeats of PTI. Any suggestions?

Give Hang Up and Listen a try.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I can't search for it here at work, but I know there's a podcast out there about boardgames, and I think the hosts actually play the game during the show, describing what's going on and all of that while playing, to give people a full review of whether the game in question is any good. poo poo, I wish I could remember the name of it... help?

EDIT: Found it, Game Night Guys. -> http://gamenightguys.com/

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 2, 2012

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

How are u posted:

I don't know how many people here might listen to it, but The History of Rome podcast will soon be ending after a truly excellent 5 years. If you have even a passing interest in history or Rome or just enjoy hearing a soothing voice then you cannot go wrong with this one. I've learned so much about Rome and western history its not even funny.

Does anybody have any other history podcasts to recommend? I'm going to need a new fix.

e: The History of Rome is going to end with something like 170+ twenty minute episodes, so don't be afraid that you'll fall in love only to lose it fast. There's an awful lot of listening to be done.

e2: people were mentioning it on the first page. Sad day :(

This China History Podcast isn't too bad, but it's not nearly as exhaustive as History of Rome and jumps around in time a lot. Also if you haven't listened to Hardcore History then stop whatever you're doing and do so now. The recent Death Throes of the Republic series is amazing. I hope others know of more, because I'd love to hear them. Definitely my favorite type of podcasts.

e: Also, not a podcast but this lecture would be a great listen before going into any history podcast or lecture, but especially History of Rome or Death Throes. Really made me rethink most of what I've heard in those two.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 2, 2012

Hecuba
Jul 20, 2005

What we do is invent our images. And we build them.
You Look Nice Today, everyone's favorite journal of emotional hygiene, is back in action. Everybody do the Fishstick!

NegativePower
May 9, 2005

dnbrwn posted:

A lot of the sport talk radio shows offer their shows in podcast form, I usually keep up with Dan Patrick and Petros and Money. And like a poster above, I would also recommend "Hang up and Listen"

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

I am looking for a decent fiction podcast, one which gives regular short stories and serialised stories.

I think I remember hearing about a pretty good science fiction one but I can't for the life of me find it. I'm open to anything though.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Convexed posted:

I am looking for a decent fiction podcast, one which gives regular short stories and serialised stories.

I think I remember hearing about a pretty good science fiction one but I can't for the life of me find it. I'm open to anything though.

For actual literature theres:

Escapepod, Pseudopod, and I think its called Fantasypod or something, all from the same "group". Theres also the Drabblecast which can be really hit and miss that has weird poo poo.

For real life narratives you might try The Moth, or for history vignettes 98% invisible and The Memory Palace.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Myrmidongs posted:

and I think its called Fantasypod or something

Podcastle.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
For anyone who's interested: Episode 4 of The ABC's of SNL dropped today!

For anyone unfamiliar: The ABC's of SNL is Jon Lovitz' audio memoir. Kevin Smith hosts each episode, and interviews Lovitz about his years on Saturday Night Live. If the mere mention of Kevin Smith puts you off, please give this show a chance. Smith is a self-avowed SNL nerd and his role here is more to keep Lovitz on-track. This show is a fantastic look into the world of late-80s SNL, and new episodes are few and faaaaar between. Check it out!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

feedmyleg posted:

This China History Podcast isn't too bad, but it's not nearly as exhaustive as History of Rome and jumps around in time a lot. Also if you haven't listened to Hardcore History then stop whatever you're doing and do so now. The recent Death Throes of the Republic series is amazing. I hope others know of more, because I'd love to hear them. Definitely my favorite type of podcasts.

e: Also, not a podcast but this lecture would be a great listen before going into any history podcast or lecture, but especially History of Rome or Death Throes. Really made me rethink most of what I've heard in those two.

Comparing Hardcore History's Death Throes of the Republic to The History of Rome's episodes about the same period was really interesting, since they both emphasized slightly different things, and they both conveyed their narrative of the period in a really different way.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I don't remember anyone mentioning The Truth. It's high quality radio drama. Not serial format, a new episode every couple weeks. I'd wager most people have already heard of it thanks to This American Life featuring an episode (which is how I found it), but if you aren't listening to TAL, here's the heads up.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
If I think On Cinema is very funny, what else might I enjoy? Sorry that's not a lot to go on but I'm finding it hard to describe what type of humor it is. They're pretty short if anyone wants to give one a listen (besides the in-depth Three Stooges episode, of course).

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I'll ask anyway. Is there a way to shuffle between podcasts using an iPod? I set it to Shuffle: Songs but it won't work. Also I can't skip to the next podcast episode?

iPod issues aside, does anyone know any good podcasts on mythology? After 8 weeks of ambivalence I am suddenly very interested in mythology. Any mythology would be fine.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I always wonder if people have tried making Radio Dramas or serials in a podcast format. Are there any that anyone can recommend.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
SInce we were talking about it earlier on this page, I might as well mention that the very last History of Rome ever just went up. But he did say he'll be starting another history podcast in a few months! So that's something to look forward to!

andy_social
Oct 29, 2008
The History of Rome was fantastic. It really got me on an ancient Mediterranean kick. Someone mentioned the Yale Online courses. There's a pretty good one by Donald Kagan on Ancient Greece.

If you're into history podcasts Binge Thinking History is a pretty entertaining listen. It isn't updated that frequently but at this point there are twenty episodes up. For the most part he looks at something in detail over a few episodes although lately he seems to be trying to tighten things up. His last post was the first of a two parter on the South Sea Bubble. Previous topics have included a four part series examining the foundations of the US Constitution, a five part series on the Battle of Britain and a pretty great nine part series on the history of the Royal Navy. I find his delivery to be very engaging.

Duke of Straylight
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've been chasing Zach Weinersmith's (the guy who draws Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal) work and have found The Weekly Weinersmith, which is... not really that great. I like it when people take science seriously, but this podcast's a bit too dry even for me.

The reason I'm posting is just to make a one-episode recommendation of its sister podcast: The Titanium Physicists' episode on warp drives. I haven't listened to the other episodes yet and I don't really expect much from them, because this episode was basically carried by the guest (Zach Weinersmith). The hosts would do the thing that physicists always do when they try to communicate with normals, coming up with useless metaphors like "the universe is full of bees of all sizes" and he would keep bringing them down to earth with straightforward and actually meaningful questions. If you're the kind of guy who loves (say) Neil deGrasse Tyson's charisma but is exasperated by his use of vague metaphor, you should try this episode out to see how different it can be.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

I always wonder if people have tried making Radio Dramas or serials in a podcast format. Are there any that anyone can recommend.

The Truth produces bi-weekly short stories, and is excellent.

Second Shift is a 2 season serial. I got about halfway through season 2 before the thing got so far up its own rear end I couldn't take it anymore. Give it a try, as your mileage may vary, but it starts as charmingly ametuerish and, I think, ends up as obnoxiously so. I also made the mistake of listening to one of the "behind the scenes" episodes and it turns out the entire thing is set in a world the writer came up with in her dreeeeeeeams.

It's not a podcast, but if you want more serial stuff, look up my posts in this thread and listen to I Love Bees. It's solid. I'm always Looking for new stuff in this vein (I think all my posts in this thread are talking about them).

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
If you're on iOS and don't like the default podcast listening experience, Instacast with the premium subscription is all kinds of worth it, if only for the playlists. My shows are automatically filtered chronologically by Humor, Video Games, News & Information, and 5by5.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So I have plenty of beer/homebrewing podcasts, but I need some sources for liquor/cocktail stuff. Right now all I have in that field is the Everyday Drinkers video podcast and that's just a short recipe/review thing. Any other good ones out there for either the same kinda thing or a general discussion?

edit: Oh yea, and on the other end, are there any currently still going tea podcasts? I'd love a good review/discussion source for tea that's still actually updating.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 17, 2012

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A friend recently turned me on to NPR's Intelligence Squared, an "Oxford-style" debate program that in each episode features four different experts debating an issue (2 vs. 2) and trying to change the minds of as many audience members as possible. They only crank out one episode a month but the few I've listened to thus far have all been good, and the archive goes back to 2006 and there's a pretty good breadth of topics in there. The show was inspired by a British show of the same name though I don't know much about that original version.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I thought love and radio was cancelled long ago and forever. Nope! Hard to describe, but it's good, check it

http://feeds.feedburner.com/loveplusradio