Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«72 »
Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Blind.
Idiot.
God.

a quick reminder that the sword and scale guy is such an unrepentant shitlord he got banned from his podcast's own subreddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

yea just to be clear I have like ~issues~ with the MFM ladies but the S&S guy is just actively a wretched person who deserves nothing but scorn and mockery, I do agree they are very different scales of 'problematic big voices in the true crime stuff'

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Iíve literally never heard of that swords and whatnot podcast. Judging by that tweet, Iím guessing theyíre catering to a certain political type of people.

Not that I listen to MFM either. Or any of the podcast with single episode crime stories.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Blind.
Idiot.
God.

mrfart posted:

I’ve literally never heard of that swords and whatnot podcast. Judging by that tweet, I’m guessing they’re catering to a certain political type of people.

Not that I listen to MFM either. Or any of the podcast with single episode crime stories.

I have no clue if he's shifted over to that now, but he was one of the first true crime podcasts to have decent production values, and I don't recall that being part of his gimmick.

He first caught heat because he portrays anyone with mental illness as one bad day away from going axe-crazy at an orphanage. He also makes inappropriate use of audio from 911 recordings and other first hand sources of people either dying violently or in the process of dying violently that even the trashiest of shock value TV shows would balk at airing.

His second season apparently wasn't up to the quality of the first and he became infamous for melting the gently caress down at even the mildest critique from an obvious fan.

Aside from his podcast, he's also been accused by multiple women of being a sex pest, which isn't surprising given that he proudly tries to parlay his minor celebrity into hooking up with any woman who will not immediately block him.

That he's a chud is like only the 10th most offensive thing about him.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I listened to a couple episodes and gave it up because he had this constant super dramatic delivery that got tiring

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

Thereís a podcast called invisible choir, itís like exactly the same format and over the top exaggerations and court room audio as sword and scale. I like to think it pisses him off this other guy is doing the same podcast

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

How about any cool podcast/episodes of a podcast about pirates? I like my true crime to be so old itís history.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I think Sword & Scale is the only podcast that I ever actually unsubscribed from; I usually just stop downloading something but keep it in my feed in case they cover something I'm interested in.

In addition to all the other issues being raised ITT I also got really annoyed by how he's play tens of minutes of 911 tape and interject every sixty to ninety seconds "now this might be too hard for some of you to listen to, but it's really important to hear so we can understand the mindframe of the caller at this time" and then it's just another sixty seconds of dead air or hysterical sobbing.

Is Sword & Scale even still really a thing? I thought the guy's Patreon basically did the Lowtax collapse pattern around when he got banned from his own subreddit and I figured he'd just packed it in and moved on to guest spots on the Dick Masterson show or whatever.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cockblocktopus posted:

I think Sword & Scale is the only podcast that I ever actually unsubscribed from; I usually just stop downloading something but keep it in my feed in case they cover something I'm interested in.

In addition to all the other issues being raised ITT I also got really annoyed by how he's play tens of minutes of 911 tape and interject every sixty to ninety seconds "now this might be too hard for some of you to listen to, but it's really important to hear so we can understand the mindframe of the caller at this time" and then it's just another sixty seconds of dead air or hysterical sobbing.

Is Sword & Scale even still really a thing? I thought the guy's Patreon basically did the Lowtax collapse pattern around when he got banned from his own subreddit and I figured he'd just packed it in and moved on to guest spots on the Dick Masterson show or whatever.

At this point a podcast could play raw audio of 911 calls of people in misery with no narrative or context, and it would be sorted under True Crime and could sell t-shirts and scented candles. Patreon subscribers would be sent random crime scene photos.

This already exists, doesn't it?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ask me about my dream Frasier episode where Frasier and Bulldog oil their heads and then rub them together. It's definitely not a fetish of mine, I swear!

The only podcast I ever unsubscribed from because the hosts seemed like wretched, repellent, humans was a Simpsons podcast called Worst Episode Ever.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Fun Shoe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The only podcast I ever unsubscribed from because the hosts seemed like wretched, repellent, humans was a Simpsons podcast called Worst Episode Ever.

Now Iím curious

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I listened to that for a while years ago but stopped when they began to strain to find enough to talk about after getting past the really bad episodes, but donít recall them becoming terrible folks. Am also curious what happened.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ask me about my dream Frasier episode where Frasier and Bulldog oil their heads and then rub them together. It's definitely not a fetish of mine, I swear!

Snowy posted:

Now Iím curious

Nothing specific happened. I was just driving down a highway listening to them 4 years ago and realized these are terrible people, they've got terrible opinions, they're not funny, and I'd had those opinions for a while. Listen to any of their drunkesodes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

what do they say there? I stopped listening because they're just super unfunny and boring.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
And now the whole nation - pulpit and all - will take up the war-cry, and shout itself hoarse, and mob any honest man who ventures to open his mouth; and presently such mouths will cease to open.

I also am a ďjust stop listening ď person although Adam Carolla and Keith and the Girl I unsubbed from for content reasons.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

I AM TRULY ONE OF THE WORST POSTERS ON THIS SITE. LOOK UPON THIS GUY MANN REREG AND DESPAIR.

sexpig by night posted:

what do they say there? I stopped listening because they're just super unfunny and boring.

There was an episode where one of the hosts talks about how when he was in high school there was a kid he didn't like so he got stickers made of his yearbook photo and started following him around and sticking them on his locker, in front of his house, etc to make him feel like he was being stalked and he presents it as some funny anecdote and not a weird thing he regrets doing. I think that for people who were only listening out of inertia/habit that was offputting enough to finally make them unsubscribe.

I had the same experience with Talking Simpsons when they had some weird digression about how it's kinkshaming to not want people to have sex in public places on the grounds that if you're out in public you're consenting to the possibility of seeing people doing things.

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 3, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I think the Talking Simpsons boys are wonderful people and I'm happy to give them money when I can.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I just listened to the first episode of Nice White Parents holy poo poo it's good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Is there a role playing podcast where the players are inexperienced and/or drunk enough that they will make weird or obviously bad choices, but aren't intentionally being wacky monkey dishwasher types? Basically I want something like the D&D segments from Harmontown. I really liked those and when they ended I tried listening to one of the big RPG podcasts at the time, I forget which it was, but all the players were clearly experienced RPG players and were very efficient quick on the uptake. Which I found very boring

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Fun Shoe

Brian Posehnís Nerd Poker gets fairly ridiculous and half of them are often pretty stoned. Most of them are comedians and theyíre old friends too. I think thatís what I really like about it, they were already playing together before it was a podcast so you know theyíre genuinely having fun with each other.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

Have you tried Dragon Friends? Itís on like season 6 and they still barely know any of the rules and they tape two episodes at once so every other episode theyíre drunk

David Harmon is a saint they constantly just gently caress up his DMing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Fun Shoe

Iíve been meaning to listen to Dragon Friends because I like Australian accents but itís taking forever to get through all the nerd poker bonus episodes where they play Star Wars or something other silly poo poo.

Sometime soon though

«72 »