Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Azathoth posted:

They got 425 patrons and when things get on the cusp of getting big, that's when this poo poo starts popping off.

No one gives a poo poo about beer money, but once it starts to become "this side hustle could be my full time gig", that's when things get nasty.

They got 500 patrons, they have 422 now because people didn't like them booting Poppy without a good reason, also it's not as good with just 2 of them. I'm not sure how they thought just putting out a series without Poppy and not saying anything would go over well. It's one of those podcasts where it's important to feel like the 3 of them are genuinely enjoying each other's company and it's a bit tainted now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Walton Simons posted:

They got 500 patrons, they have 422 now because people didn't like them booting Poppy without a good reason, also it's not as good with just 2 of them. I'm not sure how they thought just putting out a series without Poppy and not saying anything would go over well. It's one of those podcasts where it's important to feel like the 3 of them are genuinely enjoying each other's company and it's a bit tainted now.
My read is that this is a behind the scenes thing that has spiraled out of control.

There's hints in there that Poppy is/was going through some bad stuff, so they thought "okay, we'll boot her from the show" but she was like "gently caress you, it's my show too" and then they got lawyers involved and they officially kicked her via their agents, but she then asserted ownership rights to the past episodes, so they had to pull those because I'm guessing there weren't detailed contracts about ownership from when they started.

So they own the show itself, but now there's no episodes, so they have to scramble to start a season to literally have anything on their feed, and they were pretty much just hoping that Poppy wouldn't say anything and it would all just kinda be weird and odd to the fans, but if no one says anything then there's nothing to latch on to. Then Poppy dropped the "yeah they kicked me and here's their legal reason" and blew up their spot, because why wouldn't she.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
That might just be gossip, though.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Gripweed posted:

It's weird to hear a lefty politics podcast that isn't enmeshed in stupid Twitter discourse or shitposting.

Yeah, that's a reason I stopped listening to chapo. I liked the jokes and interviews but they spent way too much time obsessing about some guy with a baseball avatar saying something dumb and I just didn't care enough about that to keep listening.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, that's a reason I stopped listening to chapo. I liked the jokes and interviews but they spent way too much time obsessing about some guy with a baseball avatar saying something dumb and I just didn't care enough about that to keep listening.

They did move away from that over time, partially because nowadays actual elected officials and Nobel laureates and major news platform co-founders provide so much dysfunction and insanity that you don't need to go digging into niche Twitter movements like the TCOTs to find material anymore and partially because the barrier between online and reality has basically vanished so anyone with a sizable political following ends up involved in actual party apparatus and vice versa.

Like even with the bad takes and wrong predictions they've made over the years they were the only people to really immediately recognize and call out that Qanon was something that was going to metastasize and become something actual politicians would be adopting, they have a really good feel for the internet in a way a lot of their peers don't.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
What are some good Simpsons podcasts to listen to that aren't insufferable?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

sexpig by night posted:

What are some good Simpsons podcasts to listen to that aren't insufferable?

Talking Simpsons

The rest are poo poo. Absolute poo poo.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there a way to search for podcasts that includes the show notes?

I feel like I used to use an app where a search for a name would include episodes of podcasts where that person was a guest but they weren’t named in the title.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Is S-Town season 2 actually about anything? I tried S-Town season 1 and at first it was all like, "oh wow we're gonna unravel a tangled web of crime deep in the heart of this small town" but then turned out to just be a character study of a weird lovely dude.

edit: whoops nevermind

NPR / Public radio shows do this so much. This American Life is super guilty.

“UFOs. What are they? Where do they come from? Are we alone in the universe? For years scientists have been trying to figure out what the source of these craft are. Could it be Russia? The military? The answers have grave questions for us all.

And after all, isn’t living with someone a little like an alien? In today’s show about the difficulty of marriage...”

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CelestialScribe posted:

NPR / Public radio shows do this so much. This American Life is super guilty.

“UFOs. What are they? Where do they come from? Are we alone in the universe? For years scientists have been trying to figure out what the source of these craft are. Could it be Russia? The military? The answers have grave questions for us all.

And after all, isn’t living with someone a little like an alien? In today’s show about the difficulty of marriage...”

Oh man, that one episode where the first like 40 minutes is the story of Nauru. This one tiny horrible little island nation that has been caught up in a nexus of politics and economics and environmental degradation for its entire short, pathetic history.

And then the last ten minutes is a story about a guy whose mom got put on hold for several hours. In a way, she was just as lost as the people of Nauru.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Oh man, that one episode where the first like 40 minutes is the story of Nauru. This one tiny horrible little island nation that has been caught up in a nexus of politics and economics and environmental degradation for its entire short, pathetic history.

And then the last ten minutes is a story about a guy whose mom got put on hold for several hours. In a way, she was just as lost as the people of Nauru.

The most info I’ve gotten on Nauru was a megathread I think in GBS where a goon explained what was going on regarding migrants detained on behalf of Australia and the culture of the island.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The intertwined sagas of Joy Division and New Order will be chronicled in the upcoming podcast, Transmissions: The Definitive Story, premiering October 29th.

The first run of eight episodes will follow Joy Division through their founding and rise to Ian Curtis’ death by suicide in 1980. It will then tackle the formation of New Order and the group’s early years, up through their 1983 hit, “Blue Monday.” (While a second season hasn’t been announced, it would conceivably focus on the rest of New Order’s Eighties heyday, their split in the Nineties, and subsequent reunions in the 2000s and 2010s.)

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/joy-division-new-order-transmissions-podcast-1073319/

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

evilpicard posted:

The intertwined sagas of Joy Division and New Order will be chronicled in the upcoming podcast, Transmissions: The Definitive Story, premiering October 29th.

The first run of eight episodes will follow Joy Division through their founding and rise to Ian Curtis’ death by suicide in 1980. It will then tackle the formation of New Order and the group’s early years, up through their 1983 hit, “Blue Monday.” (While a second season hasn’t been announced, it would conceivably focus on the rest of New Order’s Eighties heyday, their split in the Nineties, and subsequent reunions in the 2000s and 2010s.)

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/joy-division-new-order-transmissions-podcast-1073319/

Extremely my poo poo. Thanks for the heads up!

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Btw, has anyone listened to the Last Podcast on the Left-adjacent music podcast yet? Any good?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

busalover posted:

Btw, has anyone listened to the Last Podcast on the Left-adjacent music podcast yet? Any good?
I listened to the first handful of episodes when it first started but fell off of it. It didn't cover music I typically listen to, but it was pretty well-researched, thorough and informative.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I've started listening to The Daily Zeitgeist. It's a good show if you're looking for general news banter and don't want to think too much. The last episode covered a new tv show, the pope and his anti-capitalist speech, some trash talk about tinder. It's like sitting next to a bunch of millenials in a cafe, and overhearing their conversation about topics of the day.

PS: I found out about TDZ because I was listening to 420 Day Fiance, another show by the hosts where they get baked and talk about 90 Day Fiance. Only recommended if your brain is fried and tired and you're playing a video game while this runs. Which is what I use it for.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

busalover posted:

It's like sitting next to a bunch of millenials in a cafe, and overhearing their conversation about topics of the day.

I'm struggling to think of anything I would want to listen to less than this.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Is there a thread for Timesuck? I dug a bit but didn't find an obvious one. I loving love it and want to discuss!

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

shoeberto posted:

Is there a thread for Timesuck? I dug a bit but didn't find an obvious one. I loving love it and want to discuss!

Thanks, I gave it a listen. Only listened to 2 episodes so far, but seems fun.
I didn't like the guys voice at first. He sounds a bit like a radio dj version of Rob Lowe in parks & rec.
But I got used to it, and it's really well made, and he does have good jokes in between the story line.

Also, feel free to post your favorite episodes :)
because there are a lot of them.

mrfart fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 30, 2020

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Any good paranormal podcasts kicking around with a more skeptical bent? I used to subscribe to monster talk and am willing to go back to it if there isn't a better option. But all those interviews with bad audio quality, and Blake's puns have me weary to go back.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Oh no, Ross and Carrie is a good one, in that they're skeptics, but they go out of their way to actually participate in the paranormal stuff and go to believer events and shows and stuff and, while they do make fun of it, they do it very respectfully.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm quite enjoying oh no ross and carrie

What turned me off monster talk was that godawful intro soundbyte

there was some kind of debunking fake archaelogy podcast I was listening to but they had this weird, waaaay too long song they kept playing in between segments that I eventually stopped listening because of.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Splicer posted:

I'm quite enjoying oh no ross and carrie

What turned me off monster talk was that godawful intro soundbyte

hhhhhhhMMMOOOONSTER TALLLLK (long exhale sound that was inexplicably not edited out)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Imagined posted:

Oh no, Ross and Carrie is a good one, in that they're skeptics, but they go out of their way to actually participate in the paranormal stuff and go to believer events and shows and stuff and, while they do make fun of it, they do it very respectfully.

OK I am super on board after Carrie describing wanting to make out with a Mormon elder.

Riptor posted:

hhhhhhhMMMOOOONSTER TALLLLK (long exhale sound that was inexplicably not edited out)

lol.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

New ep of inside the black box, 3 hours on SS Columbia

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 1, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

evilpicard posted:

Came here to post about this. It's good.

You get to hear the actual guy realize some poo poo has gone very wrong and say "lock the doors"

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Came here to post about this. It's good.

You get to hear the actual guy realize some poo poo has gone very wrong and say "lock the doors"

It was really good, though I think he was more than a little credulous regarding the higher ups at NASA's after-the-fact assertions that they didn't think, in the moment, that there was a serious possibility Columbia would not survive reentry. That was literally everyone present knowing what was up, doing their damnedest to talk around it when they knew they were being recorded, and hoping against hope that they'd get the thing on the ground safely and everyone could avoid going through the Challenger disaster aftermath all over again.

Though I should point out that I think they all legitimately believed that there was absolutely nothing that could be done about it while in orbit, so I'm not imputing malice, just a deep sense of "they're possibly hosed, and nothing is gained by telling them and trying to force through a second shuttle launch that, based on shuttle history, would absolutely have some critical problem that prevents launch in time, only to have the crew of Columbia burn up in the atmosphere anyways, right before their air runs out."

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I've a little over halfway through horror podcast I am in Eskew and am loving it.

Was a great find after struggling through the entire first season of The White Vault in hopes that it would get better. It didn't—it's not terrible, but it's starkly mediocre. One of the voice actors would have a great voice, except he's apparently a robot and is completely incapable of the slightest emotiveness to the point that it's outright comical at times. Sorry, guy, maybe you just received weird direction from the folks running the podcast? Maybe it would've came to light in season 2 that you really were a robot?? I don't know.

Also tried another podcast that shall remain nameless, because I ran screaming from it in the first five seconds as it opened with someone turning the melodrama up to 11 in the most grating way possible.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've a little over halfway through horror podcast I am in Eskew and am loving it.

Was a great find after struggling through the entire first season of The White Vault in hopes that it would get better. It didn't—it's not terrible, but it's starkly mediocre. One of the voice actors would have a great voice, except he's apparently a robot and is completely incapable of the slightest emotiveness to the point that it's outright comical at times. Sorry, guy, maybe you just received weird direction from the folks running the podcast? Maybe it would've came to light in season 2 that you really were a robot?? I don't know.

Also tried another podcast that shall remain nameless, because I ran screaming from it in the first five seconds as it opened with someone turning the melodrama up to 11 in the most grating way possible.

I think that guy is like super well known from another podcast (no sleep, i think?)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Imagined posted:

I got to meet them at the short lived PodCon event in Seattle. They were super nice! They went on a haunted tour of the city and talked about it.

Roundabout
Oct 31, 2006
It's Crumbelievable!

evilpicard posted:

This sounds pretty interesting. How much of this is recordings vs narration? I listened to the first 5 minutes and I am having a hard time with the narrator and his text-to-speech like cadence.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Roundabout posted:

This sounds pretty interesting. How much of this is recordings vs narration? I listened to the first 5 minutes and I am having a hard time with the narrator and his text-to-speech like cadence.

it's mostly him being like that. you'll get recordings interspersed in, but if you don't like that style, it's not going to change appreciably as the episode goes on

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Just heard a commercial for this, Amanda Knox now has her own podcast. If you never heard her name, there was a murder trial in Italy 10 years ago (?), where she was accused of murdering Meredith Kercher, but was eventually acquitted.

quote:

Everyone is navigating their own personal maze, complete with winding paths, dead ends, short cuts, and minotaurs. In Labyrinths, Amanda Knox and her partner Christopher Robinson delve into stories of getting lost and found again through compassionate interviews, philosophical rants, and playful debate with fascinating people. Expect dark and hilarious misadventures, nagging and controversial questions, and above all, expect to arrive at unexpected places.

Season 1 features interviews with Andrew Yang, Malcolm Gladwell, Jon Ronson, Dave Navarro, Tim Urban of WaitButWhy.com, LeVar Burton, and others.

https://www.knoxrobinson.com/labyrinths.html

haven't listened to it yet

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Is there like a definite podcast series to listen to for that NEXIUM sect/lawsuit/everything? I think I already listened to the Behind the Bastards one, but that was a while ago.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
The CBC one, Escaping NXIVM, is fantastic.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Wow, that's really good. Just listened to the first three episodes, and it's one of the best series I've ever listened to already.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Wondery Ceo facing legal troubles.

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1325867523401687040?s=20

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

FIFA is the gift that keeps on giving

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I feel like this is gonna be something that even people who aren't fans of Chapo Trap House should get on. HW Bush was a super central figure in 20th Century America and most people just think of him as Dana Carvey from SNL

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1327026975781871620?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

I feel like this is gonna be something that even people who aren't fans of Chapo Trap House should get on. HW Bush was a super central figure in 20th Century America and most people just think of him as Dana Carvey from SNL

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1327026975781871620?s=20

oh hell yes they've been dancing around this for ages and I'm genuinely pumped for any takedown on that demon.

Remember kids, he may not have been the worst PRESIDENT Bush, but boy was he the worst Bush on the whole!