Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

busalover posted:

Some podcasting stats

'normal' radio is still bringing in a lot of money.
I'm guessing a substantial part of listeners are using it for background noise in the car/office/etc...
But the same can be said about podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Behind the Bastards I've spent the pandemic catching up through the archives and it's always pretty enjoyable. I don't care for every guest, but I see them as a necessary evil. Some of them are very good and funny though.

See, I like BtB, but one of my bugbears with it is the format, in that the guests are often minimally utilized. They come in blind, not knowing much or anything about the subject, so at the outset there's sort of a professor/student dynamic going on. Evans has a ton of material to plow through, and so it feels likes the guests just serve to be a boring echo chamber of reactions ("Wow," "NO," "What a shithead!") or bad one-liner jokes they're trying to throw out in the midst of the narrative. It could also just be that certain guests aren't my cup of tea, but I can never tell if it's that or if they just don't have much to do.

I see why RE wants guests, as it adds to a more casual feel, but a lot of the time I feel like the delivery falls flat.

JaneError fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 5, 2021

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I had terrible getting into BtB (and a few other pods) because the stoned, tangential crosstalk interrupting the info dump was grating. Would be better either going full solo like It Could Happen Here or at least reworking the dynamic somehow.

But I assume he's mostly doing the podcast to have fun and is getting plenty of listeners who don't have my complaint, so :shrug:

I don't remember what the podcast was, but I tried listening to a random find that billed itself as discussing topics in psychology/sociology where the host had on a serious researcher to talk about their work. About five minutes into the interview, the host asks a bizarre question that gets an audible pause from the interviewee as they clearly mentally step back and ask themselves "is he high?" Five minutes, two increasingly off-the-rails follow-up questions, and a bit of giggling later, both guest and I recognize the host is completely gone and will be lucky if he can even get through whatever questions he's written down ahead of time.

Like, go hog wild and all, but I don't understand how that's listenable to folks, to say nothing of respectful of the actual expert you have on.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Cugel the Clever posted:

I don't remember what the podcast was, but I tried listening to a random find that billed itself as discussing topics in psychology/sociology where the host had on a serious researcher to talk about their work. About five minutes into the interview, the host asks a bizarre question that gets an audible pause from the interviewee as they clearly mentally step back and ask themselves "is he high?" Five minutes, two increasingly off-the-rails follow-up questions, and a bit of giggling later, both guest and I recognize the host is completely gone and will be lucky if he can even get through whatever questions he's written down ahead of time.

Sounds like 420 Day Fiance is your podcast.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The only good infodump podcast is You're Wrong About

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

JaneError posted:

See, I like BtB, but one of my bugbears with it is the format, in that the guests are often minimally utilized. They come in blind, not knowing much or anything about the subject, so at the outset there's sort of a professor/student dynamic going on. Evans has a ton of material to plow through, and so it feels likes the guests just serve to be a boring echo chamber of reactions ("Wow," "NO," "What a shithead!") or bad one-liner jokes they're trying to throw out in the midst of the narrative. It could also just be that certain guests aren't my cup of tea, but I can never tell if it's that or if they just don't have much to do.

I see why RE wants guests, as it adds to a more casual feel, but a lot of the time I feel like the delivery falls flat.

Yeah, I agree the guests are often less than great. A lot of people have said so here. Would be nice if they were either funny, or experts in their own right on the topic and had something to add. But I understand it’s not easy finding great guests.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The only good infodump podcast is You're Wrong About

I've been enjoying Our Fake History lately. Most of the episodes are one-man info dumps.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
dana carvey has a podcast now, don't know if it's good though
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/fantastic-with-dana-carvey/id1548073553

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I've been listening to a podcast called Report This Post recently. Each week the hosts pick a topic and find the worst posts people make about it on Reddit, Twitter, Facebook etc and read them out loud. This bit of this episode made me laugh harder than maybe any podcast I've ever listened to before:
https://soundcloud.com/reportthispost/104f-super-mario#t=30:27

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I've been listening to Darts and Letters, not sure how to describe it, maybe somewhere in between citations needed and fresh air.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

busalover posted:

I've started listening to The Daily Zeitgeist. It's a good show if you're looking for general news banter and don't want to think too much. The last episode covered a new tv show, the pope and his anti-capitalist speech, some trash talk about tinder. It's like sitting next to a bunch of millenials in a cafe, and overhearing their conversation about topics of the day.

I've been listening to this for the past couple of months now, it's my daily companion while zoning out to video games. I don't really read a lot of entertainment or pop culture news, so this is basically my only way of learning about things like that Bruce Springsteen Super Bowl ad, or that new Britney Spears documentary on Netflix. As I've said before, it's a good pop culture blender.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Any good coding podcast? Either general or js/frontend.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

fadam posted:

I've been listening to a podcast called Report This Post recently. Each week the hosts pick a topic and find the worst posts people make about it on Reddit, Twitter, Facebook etc and read them out loud. This bit of this episode made me laugh harder than maybe any podcast I've ever listened to before:

i listened to it from the start and when it got to the end of the one you linked i fuckin screamed laughing. fun podcast.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

fadam posted:

I’ve also been enjoying this a lot!

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Welp, looks like Reply All is either dead or going to be, that sucks.

I don’t really have an opinion on their meltdown, but for a while it was the platonic ideal of a Good Podcast to me, so I’m sad.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Welp, looks like Reply All is either dead or going to be, that sucks.

I don’t really have an opinion on their meltdown, but for a while it was the platonic ideal of a Good Podcast to me, so I’m sad.

Well I’m sad the less annoying guy won’t keep going but I’m happy the obnoxious one won’t be around.

So what’s the meltdown and where can I witness it?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
They were in the middle of a series on the Bon Appetit racism story, when their own racism story blew up. Basically, there was a union organization effort at Gimlet, part of which focused on diversity and creators owning their IP, which at least two of the reply all people opposed, which led to one of the union organizers accusing PJ Vogt and Sruthi Piannemini of hypocrisy / racism / etc. at Gimlet.

PJ Vogt just stepped down from reply all, apparently permanently and Sruthi also is apparently gone.

Basically the story is gimlet and/or reply all were doing exactly what bon appetit was and people blew up over the hypocrisy. I don’t really know what’s true or whatever, but it looks like a mess. I guess the bon appetit series got a lot of criticism on its own both because it’s not really the kind of story reply all was built to tell, and because some of the specific editorial choices they made.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thank you for the recap, that’s interesting. I’m fairly surprised the show is big enough to have these issues at all. They did have plenty of fun episodes and I hope something good comes out of all this.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

it all starts here:

https://twitter.com/eeddings/status/1361789128006897668?s=19

tl;dr for anyone who isn't following it, the people behind Reply All decided to be just insanely lovely to the Gimlet Union's organizing efforts and before that to actively refuse to participate in diversity efforts (the lack of progress on which was a big part of the unionization push)

just absolutely toxic, indefensible poo poo and now their fans are going hard after the guy who had the guts to bring it up in public. they can all get hosed

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

https://twitter.com/eeddings/status/1361789128006897668?s=21

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Snowy posted:

Thank you for the recap, that’s interesting. I’m fairly surprised the show is big enough to have these issues at all. They did have plenty of fun episodes and I hope something good comes out of all this.

The gist of it is that they're Gimlet's biggest property by a large margin, which created a culture where they got to do whatever they wanted however they wanted and no one at Gimlet could really say poo poo to them, because Gimlet needs them way more than they need Gimlet.

Anyone who's ever had a lovely coworker who gets away with murder because of XYZ understands the power dynamic.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The episode of Reply All about the guy with the secret baldness cure who kept hemming and hawing about what was in it was so infuriating to listen to that I'm angry just typing this so I think this is karma.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Cacator posted:

The episode of Reply All about the guy with the secret baldness cure who kept hemming and hawing about what was in it was so infuriating to listen to that I'm angry just typing this so I think this is karma.

Reply all had been going downhill for a while but that one was especially egregious, that guy was obviously going through some mental health issues it was fairly shorty of them to just roll with it

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Reply All should go back to being about weird internet ephemera like it was in 2015.
These days (and rarely) Yes Yes No is the only segment that's actually "about the internet".

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
It's a bummer, because some episodes of Reply All are loving great-- the "Long Distance" episodes and the interview that Alex got with Longmont Potion Castle in particular, but between this and what happened with Mystery Show... man, gently caress Gimlet.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm confused. The blowup about Bon Appetit was that the people that drove that majority of the traffic to the network were getting less money and authority than the rest of the site, but the ReplyAll blowup is the opposite where the internet is mad because the people that drove that majority of the traffic to the network were allowed to operate with autonomy instead of being forced to give the less popular hosts and employees of the network a piece of the pie? Them not using their outsized position to signal boost the unionization attempt is pretty lame but if you look past all the people describing a business conflict with the language of relationship abuse it just looks like a bunch of less successful people mad that their more popular peers didn't do enough to promote their shows, which is dumb considering I unsubscribed to ReplyAll awhile ago just because of how much of the feed was them shilling for other Gimlet shows nobody cares about.

Regardless, I hope they're happy because driving off the network's most popular and profitable show is definitely not going to make it easier for a newly-unionized media company to remain solvent.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

You said a lot of words and none of them were about pervasive problems with PoC representation at Gimlet, which the Reply All folks ALSO fought against, I think you're missing the point in a major way.

Also, one can not be on board with a union drive and not be gigantic pieces of poo poo to the organizers. I don't know how you can read what they did and go "yeah, that's a totally normal way to act that wouldn't get 99.99% of us fired on the spot".

If I did a tenth of what they did at my job, I'd be fired and my boss would be right to do it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Also, when someone gets fired or quits after someone accurately reports their exceptionally lovely behavior, it is not the fault of the person reporting the lovely behavior.

Literally that attitude keeps sexual harrassment and abuse victims from coming forward. Exact same mindset.

If they didn't do anything wrong, they should be able to either deny they it went down how the person said or otherwise provide some context that doesn't make it look as bad as it does.

But they're not. Y'know why? Because there's no context for that behavior! They were shitbags, got publicly called out for being shitbags and now are dealing with the consequences of their shitbaggery.

The only other people who share blame in this is Gimlet management for letting things get toxic in the first place. If they had taken action earlier, maybe this wouldn't have happened. But they didn't, and that isn't on the people being harrassed.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I heard PJ went into the test kitchen, and ate everything in the test kitchen, and they had to close the test kitchen

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Surprised to see BA is still going. Their "recent videos" roster now looks like it's screaming "look, ethnic people!", with most of the staff replaced by people of color. I can't help but think it's the same cynicism at play as before, almost feels like a Tim & Eric sketch.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

~Coxy posted:

Reply All should go back to being about weird internet ephemera like it was in 2015.
These days (and rarely) Yes Yes No is the only segment that's actually "about the internet".

Super Tech Support was always my favourite segment, the one about the couple whose house would continually show as the location of stolen phones was great. I think it was called 'In the Desert'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

busalover posted:

Surprised to see BA is still going. Their "recent videos" roster now looks like it's screaming "look, ethnic people!", with most of the staff replaced by people of color. I can't help but think it's the same cynicism at play as before, almost feels like a Tim & Eric sketch.

it's so loving cynical it's hilarious, so many dishes are 'this person's CHILDHOOD FAVORITE DISH' and it's just some flimsy excuse to have a non-white person on camera explaining that curry...is...comfort food...so the BA execs in charge can wipe their hands off and go 'racism issues SOLVED'.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Walton Simons posted:

Super Tech Support was always my favourite segment, the one about the couple whose house would continually show as the location of stolen phones was great. I think it was called 'In the Desert'.

This stuff was what I loved reply all for. I guess Alex Goldman and Emmanuel are still there so it’s possible it’s not gone, but it’s hard to believe it will go back to what it was.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Yeah Super Tech Support was often great too.

I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with RA, but I guess I will also give them props for flying to India to meet the call center scammers.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I guess Alex Goldman and Emmanuel are still there so it’s possible it’s not gone, but it’s hard to believe it will go back to what it was.

Unless PJ was working some magic behind the scenes this sounds like an improvement

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It always felt uncomfortable to me how close Reply All would get to Mystery Show, the networks first major breakthrough, given Gimlet killed the later after just one season.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

The World Inferno posted:

It always felt uncomfortable to me how close Reply All would get to Mystery Show, the networks first major breakthrough, given Gimlet killed the later after just one season.

Heavyweight is closer, i think, and Jonathan Goldstein (who hosts it) was the mystery-haver in the last episode of Mystery Show. I asked Starlee about it on Twitter and she didn't respond directly, but liked a response in the thread that makes me think that there's some bad blood there now. I like Heavyweight and Wiretap, so it's a bummer.

Election Profit Makers, the show that she does now with David Rees (from My New Fighting Technique is Unstoppable/Get Your War On/Dicktown/artisinal pencil-sharpening) is great.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I liked Mystery Show and the belt buckle episode may be the strongest stand alone podcast ep of all time, but I dunno how sustainable the concept was. There were great ideas but by the nature of the show needing to do original research with no guarantee it would turn out interesting would be hard to justify funding. I mean ideally give Starlee a blank check and accept two episodes a year, but there would have to be big gaps between episodes.

Heavyweight isn't as good although there were some standouts like the episode with Rob Corddry unable to convince his family he had broke his arm as a kid. But lots of other episodes excessively resort to content from Jonathan's own life or other Gimlet staffers, or about people with family feuds/trauma that felt exploitative and often didn't resolve.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
It's such a surprise to me that reply all held all the cards at gimlet. I almost wonder if it was because it's really the only show consistently puts out new shows. Gimlet certainly had stronger shows in Homecoming and even Sandra. The problem was always that either the creators didn't have any new ideas for new seasons or gimlet didn't care about them any more after (homecoming at least) got spun off to TV. It's really hard to become a fan of any of these shows because they just end up in purgatory. I remember listening to early seasons of startup and that show took pains to describe themselves as not just another SV-style pump the valuation until the IPO startup but I guess they were either lying or changed their minds when Spotify came along and dumped a quarter billion dollars in their laps.

Also gently caress PJ I always knew one of those guys was going to be outed as a sexpest or racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundabout
Oct 31, 2006
It's Crumbelievable!
On the final episode of startup, they talked about how the cost/effort to produce individual episodes for most of their shows was too high compared to the revenue they were bringing in. They said the ideal show, in terms of generating profit, is where it's just a couple personalities talking/hanging out (e.g. Joe Rogan or Pod Save America). Reply All was probably the closest show they had to that sort of format with a popular following.

If you are interested in a low-stakes investigative podcast, you should check out underunderstood. The recent episode called Jeff Goldblum's Secret Tattoo is pretty good.