Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilpicard
Sep 11, 2006
<font size=4><B>I REPORT POSTS FROM FOUR YEARS AGO</b></font>

Standout episode is an in depth investigation into whether Cap'n Crunch has become less mouth-hurty over time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 9, 2004

outlive your enemies

It's a selling point. If it didn't scar your mouth, it wouldn't be crunchy. Our lizard brains crave the feeling of crushing the pathetic bones of small prey species, and smelling that hit of fear hormones wafting in the firelight. Also that oily aftertaste is addictive.

On another note, how reductive it is to be called a prey animal. Imagine your entire worth wrapped up in how easily a weak-necked running ape is able to grab you.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

I've been going back in the archives of Lions led by Donkeys and was surprised that they have an episode on kevin patrick dawes, who was at former goon who got kicked off SA (I'm sure some of you know more about this), and ended up going to Libya and the Syria.
SA is mentioned quite a bit, though the host, Joe Kassabian was a goon way back in the days and doesn't really know much about SA anymore. So like most people then.

Anyway, it's a great podcast, I forgot who recommended it here, but thanks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EVERY FAIRY TALE NEEDS ITS HERO.

Anyone have a recommendation for a (traditional fantasy setting) tabletop RPG adventure podcast that isn't run by a bunch of obnoxious dweebs? I'd prefer something that leans heavily toward character/storytelling over goofing around, though I'd still enjoy a decent sense of humor.

Not The Adventure Zone—I bounced off that. Every one I've tried before feels like it's focused way more on metagaming and the players cracking jokes with each other than trying to build a compelling narrative together.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Iíd say try season 2 of Nerd Poker but I donít have a lot of experience with other D&D podcasts. Several of them are comedians so itís definitely lighthearted but they were playing together as a group for years before making it a podcast. It isnít just for laughs, they do love the game.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

I donít know I usually only like the comedy ones maybe critical role or glass cannon? I feel like those two play it fairly straight

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Blind.
Idiot.
God.

The go to recommendations for Actual Play TTRPG podcasts that I've seen pretty much everywhere are Adventure Zone, Critical Role, Glass Cannon, and Not Another D&D Podcast (NADDPod). They are all silly to varying degrees, though I'm not as far into some as others.

I can personally vouch for NADDPod, though whether it is too silly is something you'll need to judge for yourself. Fortunately, it starts off really high quality so if you give it a try, you'll know within the first hour if it's going to click with you.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Just poked into Glass Cannon and it looks just about right, I like that they do video, and I like their variety. Will definitely check out NNADDPod. I gave Critical Role a shot and it wasn't for me, either, but I think I just found the DM a little too performative. Maybe I should give that another shot.

I don't have a problem with silly, per se, I just like when the silliness comes from the gameplay rather than just dorks making jokes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
And now the whole nation - pulpit and all - will take up the war-cry, and shout itself hoarse, and mob any honest man who ventures to open his mouth; and presently such mouths will cease to open.

You probably would have gotten the same recs there but it seems like a good opportunity to link to the actual play thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743698&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=29

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Oh awesome, thanks! I'll listen to these and poke in there if I feel like I haven't quite found what I'm looking for.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9leD7ibxM0

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

No RPG podcast I've tried has ever managed to measure up to the Harmontown D&D segments. I just want an RPG podcast where a skilled DM gently guides a group of talented improv comedians who are too drunk to remember what they did the previous session and keep bringing their relationship issues into the game through an adventure.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

Gripweed posted:

No RPG podcast I've tried has ever managed to measure up to the Harmontown D&D segments. I just want an RPG podcast where a skilled DM gently guides a group of talented improv comedians who are too drunk to remember what they did the previous session and keep bringing their relationship issues into the game through an adventure.

I mean, dragon friends is the closest youíll get to that and dragon friends is really, really great

Which is funny because dragon friends dm is David Harmon, I had to look to see if it wasnít the same person

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 16, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Burn the 'dawgs
Kill the Yellowjackets
Purge the Tiger
It is better to die for Bama than to live for yourself

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

That tracks pretty closely to Rude Tales of Magic. I believe most of the cast has some level of improv background and it has pretty tight editing so it keeps moving. They also have a music segment at one point set to a Diarrhea Planet song of all bands so theyíre good.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

E1's Dungeons and Deagles episodes are incredible but I'm pretty sure they're paywalled

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm not a hero...

This is more a general query on a podcast app - has anyone else been noticing that some series are not getting updated on Player.fm? I mean, things are still updating, but I've noticed some things have been getting delayed, like up to two weeks. Anyone have any idea what could be the cause?

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

I have been loving 'The Socially Distant Sports Bar' Although I can see it's in danger of falling into a classic podcast trap of becoming overly reliant one strong personality in the hosting dyanmic.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Is there a podcast or Youtube channel (preferably Youtube-channel) that showcases new stuff/developments in the art world? Like "This week in Art", "what can we look forward to at the Documenta in Kassel", "Stuff in Venice", "Miami Art Basel poo poo", etc.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Biscuit Hider

mrfart posted:

I've been going back in the archives of Lions led by Donkeys and was surprised that they have an episode on kevin patrick dawes, who was at former goon who got kicked off SA (I'm sure some of you know more about this), and ended up going to Libya and the Syria.
SA is mentioned quite a bit, though the host, Joe Kassabian was a goon way back in the days and doesn't really know much about SA anymore. So like most people then.

Anyway, it's a great podcast, I forgot who recommended it here, but thanks.

Oh wow, is that caro? As far as I can recall, he was perma'd for being dead, but that got overturned when he was released from Syria.

I might be waaay off in my memories though. Thanks for highlighting this, I'm a frequent listener, but didn't notice that episode. I'd like to give that a listen.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

nah he got perma'd for being a murderer.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

B33rChiller posted:

Oh wow, is that caro? As far as I can recall, he was perma'd for being dead, but that got overturned when he was released from Syria.

I might be waaay off in my memories though. Thanks for highlighting this, I'm a frequent listener, but didn't notice that episode. I'd like to give that a listen.

It's episode 93 if you haven't found it yourself.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Disclosure: I just read this today so I haven't had a chance to listen to this podcast yet, but it sounds extremely my poo poo.

The Guardian posted:

Back in November, the Hell Bent for Metal podcast (HBFM) put out their first episode, called Gay Satanic Love Songs. If you’re worried that they played their trump card too early, this was followed by an edition entitled BDSM Gear and Black Metal, and another named Horny German Werewolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Recommending the Suicide Pact podcast. Two NY comedians (a couple) that just kind of shoot the poo poo about whatever that week but I find they're quite funny and the right level / mix of energy