Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Standout episode is an in depth investigation into whether Cap'n Crunch has become less mouth-hurty over time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
It's a selling point. If it didn't scar your mouth, it wouldn't be crunchy. Our lizard brains crave the feeling of crushing the pathetic bones of small prey species, and smelling that hit of fear hormones wafting in the firelight. Also that oily aftertaste is addictive.

On another note, how reductive it is to be called a prey animal. Imagine your entire worth wrapped up in how easily a weak-necked running ape is able to grab you.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I've been going back in the archives of Lions led by Donkeys and was surprised that they have an episode on kevin patrick dawes, who was at former goon who got kicked off SA (I'm sure some of you know more about this), and ended up going to Libya and the Syria.
SA is mentioned quite a bit, though the host, Joe Kassabian was a goon way back in the days and doesn't really know much about SA anymore. So like most people then.

Anyway, it's a great podcast, I forgot who recommended it here, but thanks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have a recommendation for a (traditional fantasy setting) tabletop RPG adventure podcast that isn't run by a bunch of obnoxious dweebs? I'd prefer something that leans heavily toward character/storytelling over goofing around, though I'd still enjoy a decent sense of humor.

Not The Adventure Zone—I bounced off that. Every one I've tried before feels like it's focused way more on metagaming and the players cracking jokes with each other than trying to build a compelling narrative together.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’d say try season 2 of Nerd Poker but I don’t have a lot of experience with other D&D podcasts. Several of them are comedians so it’s definitely lighthearted but they were playing together as a group for years before making it a podcast. It isn’t just for laughs, they do love the game.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I don’t know I usually only like the comedy ones maybe critical role or glass cannon? I feel like those two play it fairly straight

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The go to recommendations for Actual Play TTRPG podcasts that I've seen pretty much everywhere are Adventure Zone, Critical Role, Glass Cannon, and Not Another D&D Podcast (NADDPod). They are all silly to varying degrees, though I'm not as far into some as others.

I can personally vouch for NADDPod, though whether it is too silly is something you'll need to judge for yourself. Fortunately, it starts off really high quality so if you give it a try, you'll know within the first hour if it's going to click with you.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just poked into Glass Cannon and it looks just about right, I like that they do video, and I like their variety. Will definitely check out NNADDPod. I gave Critical Role a shot and it wasn't for me, either, but I think I just found the DM a little too performative. Maybe I should give that another shot.

I don't have a problem with silly, per se, I just like when the silliness comes from the gameplay rather than just dorks making jokes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
You probably would have gotten the same recs there but it seems like a good opportunity to link to the actual play thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743698&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=29

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh awesome, thanks! I'll listen to these and poke in there if I feel like I haven't quite found what I'm looking for.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9leD7ibxM0

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

No RPG podcast I've tried has ever managed to measure up to the Harmontown D&D segments. I just want an RPG podcast where a skilled DM gently guides a group of talented improv comedians who are too drunk to remember what they did the previous session and keep bringing their relationship issues into the game through an adventure.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Gripweed posted:

No RPG podcast I've tried has ever managed to measure up to the Harmontown D&D segments. I just want an RPG podcast where a skilled DM gently guides a group of talented improv comedians who are too drunk to remember what they did the previous session and keep bringing their relationship issues into the game through an adventure.

I mean, dragon friends is the closest you’ll get to that and dragon friends is really, really great

Which is funny because dragon friends dm is David Harmon, I had to look to see if it wasn’t the same person

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 16, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Gripweed posted:

That tracks pretty closely to Rude Tales of Magic. I believe most of the cast has some level of improv background and it has pretty tight editing so it keeps moving. They also have a music segment at one point set to a Diarrhea Planet song of all bands so they’re good.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

E1's Dungeons and Deagles episodes are incredible but I'm pretty sure they're paywalled

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This is more a general query on a podcast app - has anyone else been noticing that some series are not getting updated on Player.fm? I mean, things are still updating, but I've noticed some things have been getting delayed, like up to two weeks. Anyone have any idea what could be the cause?

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

I have been loving 'The Socially Distant Sports Bar' Although I can see it's in danger of falling into a classic podcast trap of becoming overly reliant one strong personality in the hosting dyanmic.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Is there a podcast or Youtube channel (preferably Youtube-channel) that showcases new stuff/developments in the art world? Like "This week in Art", "what can we look forward to at the Documenta in Kassel", "Stuff in Venice", "Miami Art Basel poo poo", etc.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

mrfart posted:

I've been going back in the archives of Lions led by Donkeys and was surprised that they have an episode on kevin patrick dawes, who was at former goon who got kicked off SA (I'm sure some of you know more about this), and ended up going to Libya and the Syria.
SA is mentioned quite a bit, though the host, Joe Kassabian was a goon way back in the days and doesn't really know much about SA anymore. So like most people then.

Anyway, it's a great podcast, I forgot who recommended it here, but thanks.

Oh wow, is that caro? As far as I can recall, he was perma'd for being dead, but that got overturned when he was released from Syria.

I might be waaay off in my memories though. Thanks for highlighting this, I'm a frequent listener, but didn't notice that episode. I'd like to give that a listen.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
nah he got perma'd for being a murderer.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

B33rChiller posted:

Oh wow, is that caro? As far as I can recall, he was perma'd for being dead, but that got overturned when he was released from Syria.

I might be waaay off in my memories though. Thanks for highlighting this, I'm a frequent listener, but didn't notice that episode. I'd like to give that a listen.

It's episode 93 if you haven't found it yourself.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Disclosure: I just read this today so I haven't had a chance to listen to this podcast yet, but it sounds extremely my poo poo.

The Guardian posted:

Back in November, the Hell Bent for Metal podcast (HBFM) put out their first episode, called Gay Satanic Love Songs. If you’re worried that they played their trump card too early, this was followed by an edition entitled BDSM Gear and Black Metal, and another named Horny German Werewolves.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Recommending the Suicide Pact podcast. Two NY comedians (a couple) that just kind of shoot the poo poo about whatever that week but I find they're quite funny and the right level / mix of energy

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a podcast that is a scripted horror and/or sci-fi story?

I'm getting burned out on history and DnD shows.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Inzombiac posted:

The Magnus Archives.

It actually took me a good 100 episodes to care about the meta plot but I really enjoy the weekly stories so if you like those I wouldn’t worry about the common threads between them.

Counterpoint: I have a friend who really enjoys the meta plot and that kicks in around episode seven.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

In no particular order:

Archive 81
I am in Eskew
Tales from the Aletheian Society
Wolf 359
The Silt Verses
Victoriocity

They all have some horror element except for Wolf 359 (straight scifi) and Victoriocity (semi-modern fantasy comedy)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Inzombiac posted:

Several episodes of E1 qualify. I'd recommend episode 117 - The Cash Kia. It starts off as just a comedy about an unpleasant Uber ride but slowly morphs into sci-fi horror as it goes along

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Only found out about ‘blowback’ this week, and if you’re looking for a podcast about the Iraq invasion, or are one of the people who should listen to a podcast about it, then you really need to check this out.

It’s well made, the hosts are great and it’s pretty in-depth. The upcoming season about Cuba looks promising too.

I wasn’t so sure about ‘Operation midnight climax’, because everybody knows about the CIA testing LSD on unsuspecting people back in the days. But hearing the life stories behind the people involved and how insanely hosed up it all was, did make it an interesting listen.

The guy from running with cops made a new show called ‘the line’. About navy seals and the guy who allegedly murdered a POW with a knife. It’s only a couple of episodes in, but sound interesting. You can only listen to it on apple podcast app, though (I think, maybe I’m doing something wrong).

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The intro segments to Useful Idiots have been loving dreadful since they left Rolling Stone. I dunno if the "four food groups" segment was forced on them by a producer there, but it was a million times better than 15 meandering minutes of irony about being Assadists or loving the Yemen genocide.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

mrfart posted:

I wasn’t so sure about ‘Operation midnight climax’, because everybody knows about the CIA testing LSD on unsuspecting people back in the days. But hearing the life stories behind the people involved and how insanely hosed up it all was, did make it an interesting listen.

Yeah this is good, and it’s only halfway done so far

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I need a new podcast app for Android, any recommendations?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Pocketcasts gets the job done for me. Haven't found a need to look at any others in years.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
PocketCasts is solid, but personally I switched to Podcast Republic a few years back for the ability to set individual shows to download 'oldest first' and also to filter downloads by keyword, eg 'don't download episodes with the words 'preview, prequel, live, or minisode' in the title'.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I'm itching to get into a new podcast so does anyone know of any crime podcasts that delve into cold cases?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Confusedslight posted:

I'm itching to get into a new podcast so does anyone know of any crime podcasts that delve into cold cases?

If you look at the iTunes top rankings on any given day that category is basically 80 percent of them

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

xtal posted:

If you look at the iTunes top rankings on any given day that category is basically 80 percent of them

yea but which ones are good and which ones are either just boring people going 'and then...they found the HEAD' 'wooooah hosed up, imagine finding a head....' or suburban freaks being all 'and that's why I love the cops and if anyone knocks on my door I put one hand on a gun and the other on the phone ready to dial 911 because everyone is a murderer' about every extremely specific story? That's the eternal true crime question.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

sexpig by night posted:

yea but which ones are good and which ones are either just boring people going 'and then...they found the HEAD' 'wooooah hosed up, imagine finding a head....' or suburban freaks being all 'and that's why I love the cops and if anyone knocks on my door I put one hand on a gun and the other on the phone ready to dial 911 because everyone is a murderer' about every extremely specific story? That's the eternal true crime question.

yeah, I don't know of any true crime podcasts that just cover unsolved cases and are not 100% copaganda. the best that some of them get is being willing to criticize cops when they do obviously lovely things (and then conspicuously being NOT ALL COPS). like, i put up with more copaganda than I should, but the sheer number of exchanges on Jensen and Holes that are basically this is staggering:

billy: but when the victim went to report the crime, the local police didn't take her seriously
paul: you see this in older cases
billy: the victim persisted, repeatedly calling law enforcement, the media, and anyone who would listen, and several days later she sat down with a detective and gave her statement
paul: i've read over the statement and she's a very compelling witness
billy: yeah, i agree, a 16 year old straight A student who just got accepted to Harvard College doesn't just go to the cops and lie about something like this. more concerning however, is this handwritten note found on the original witness statement when it was released in 2015 that says "this looney bitch"
paul: i'm not sure what the detectives at the time were thinking
billy: DNA would go on to link her attack with over 20 other attacks across the tri-state area
paul: obviously, law enforcement dropped the ball on this one
billy: it's pretty obvious in hindsight that they didn't take her seriously
paul: (long pause) ...we just don't know what kind of information they had

and that's like the MOST you get of podcasts calling out cops. if someone has one that isn't like that, i'd sure love to hear it

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm only a few episodes into Your Own Backyard but it's good enough that I'm listening to yet another true crime podcast, so that says something.

Someone Knows Something on CBC has a few seasons and each one is good, I think the 1st and 4th are best.

Oh, and A Very Fatal Murder by The Onion is extremely good satire of the genre, really funny on its own right.

xtal fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 24, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I have a friend who keeps sending me true crime podcasts and they all seem to be a lady who sounds like she took 3 Xanax before recording. All different podcasts, but it seems to be a requirement of the genre that you read your research with as flat an affect as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I’m kind of over weekly true crime where they do new cases each week but still listen to longer ones, some ok ones at the moment or have recently wrapped up

Cold season 2
The Doodler
Lost Hills
Looking for the Todt Family
Tom Brown’s Body

They’re mostly investigative focusing on the cases instead of comedy or editorialized