Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

rotinaj posted:

they're still holding their own podcast hostage until enough people pay their Patreon afaik

Ugh. Do they have the cache to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TV Zombie posted:

That's the part I don't understand

Who the gently caress are these guys to pull this kind of grift off, that dude in the thread here seems to like them from one guy's previous work, but I would personally want to be able to listen to a little bit to know if I would like these people's senses of humor and speaking voices

I have issues with voices and mouth sounds, so listening to a dude with the r-to-w speech impediment or a really wet, moist voice drives me up the wall, I had to stop listening to QAnon Anonymous because of that

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

rotinaj posted:

they're still holding their own podcast hostage until enough people pay their Patreon afaik

I hope they never get there.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the Rep Your Podcast thread.

My friends dad (both of whom I've know since middle school 15+ years ago) started a podcast two drat years ago. I randomly came up on it on Spotify tonight.

The craziest bit is that the guy who recorded it was my boss for like a year and I was part of getting him replaced.

Gonna binge the hell out of this podcast. James is too cool.

James Call, a longtime observer and participant in San Diego's Punk scene, chats with musicians, fans, artists — a variety of people for whom Punk was, and continues to be, a defining feature in their lives. Produced by Henry Dean Jepsen. Season 1 recorded by David Robles

https://anchor.fm/s/a456cd0/podcast/rss

Edit: also check out the Penetrators. James played keys. https://youtu.be/gMM4pdGJvL0 :)

Double edit: ok how did no one tell me he had a semi-regular podcast: All You Fascists...: https://anchor.fm/s/55c075b0/podcast/rss

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 1, 2022

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

I hope they never get there.

TV Zombie posted:

rotinaj posted:

That's the part I don't understand

Who the gently caress are these guys to pull this kind of grift off, that dude in the thread here seems to like them from one guy's previous work, but I would personally want to be able to listen to a little bit to know if I would like these people's senses of humor and speaking voices

I have issues with voices and mouth sounds, so listening to a dude with the r-to-w speech impediment or a really wet, moist voice drives me up the wall, I had to stop listening to QAnon Anonymous because of that

oh my god how do you people not recognize a meta-joke

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Eat The Rich posted:

I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the Rep Your Podcast thread.

My friends dad (both of whom I've know since middle school 15+ years ago) started a podcast two drat years ago. I randomly came up on it on Spotify tonight.

The craziest bit is that the guy who recorded it was my boss for like a year and I was part of getting him replaced.

Gonna binge the hell out of this podcast. James is too cool.

James Call, a longtime observer and participant in San Diego's Punk scene, chats with musicians, fans, artists — a variety of people for whom Punk was, and continues to be, a defining feature in their lives. Produced by Henry Dean Jepsen. Season 1 recorded by David Robles

https://anchor.fm/s/a456cd0/podcast/rss

Edit: also check out the Penetrators. James played keys. https://youtu.be/gMM4pdGJvL0 :)

Double edit: ok how did no one tell me he had a semi-regular podcast: All You Fascists...: https://anchor.fm/s/55c075b0/podcast/rss

This is great and I have to send it to some friends now.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

oh my god how do you people not recognize a meta-joke

Jokes are funny, OP

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone recommendations for podcasts about all the crazy cultural, political, and religious stuff going on in the late 60's and the 70s?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Transmissions from Jonestown is a must listen.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm looking for something a little less specific, but this is still a great rec, thanks!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vinny Possum posted:

Anyone recommendations for podcasts about all the crazy cultural, political, and religious stuff going on in the late 60's and the 70s?

Heaven’s gate was a good podcast about the cult and is very of its time, and covers a lot of growth through that time period

Blowback did a season on the cuban missile crisis and the us in that time period

Gangster capitalism has done a season on the nra through the 70s and 80s, as well as one on the falwells and liberty university

Norcoland was a very interesting true crime period piece about a small town in cali in 1980 and a huge bank robbery

The dollop, behind the bastards, and just about any “wacky stories from history” podcast has done some poo poo from the 70s and 80s

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Vinny Possum posted:

Not American, but this podcast about a Residential School in Canada is full of hosed up poo poo that happened to Indigenous children.

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/kuper-island/id1623248767

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vinny Possum posted:

Ghost Stories For The End Of The World does that stuff

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Mother Country Radicals is about Weather Underground and the Black Panthers; it's hosted by Zayd Ayers Dohrn, the son of Bill Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn, so he has access to a lot of insider interviews.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Try the first two episodes of Things Fell Apart by Jon Ronson. Each one covers a different "culture war" flashpoint and those ones are focused on the America of the 70s. Specifically on the origins of the anti-abortion movement and the first controversy about school textbooks.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
hello it is me again ready to make you all hate me :)

i loving LOVE kim justice's historical documentaries on the amiga, jack tramiel, the zx spectrum, poo poo like that. really i just want more of those historical documentaries on retro tech, where 'retro' can be loose as heck. how can i ingest this delightful content

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Confusedslight posted:

Does anyone know of any good climate change podcasts? Been looking for something with more of a sciency bent.

Old question but it never got an answer and Europe is experiencing unprecented heat so the environment-y pods I listen to are:

Sustainababble - Fairly light-hearted UK environment podcast from two guys who've been in the environment game forever, I listen most weeks. Definite UK bent when it comes to what they cover but they still have an international audience. Quite enjoy that they can people who suck 'Inhofes' and they walk the line between keeping it somewhat light while dealing with such serious matters really well.

Crazy Town - More generally about overshoot, systemic problems and consumption, I think these guys are engineers or something like that. Basically where we are now is Crazy Town and they talk about how we got here.

The Climate Question - Sticks to climate more than the others, it's a half-hour BBC podcast, talking a different question on the climate every week like 'do we have enough power for EVs?' or something like that.

Outrage and Optimism - Covers all sorts around climate, hosted by Christiana Figueres who has worked at the very highest level on climate in the UN

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Thanks! These look really good.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Switching to an iPhone and need a podcast app recommendation.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Overcast

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

yep

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Overcast is probably your best bet. It’s kind of an aesthetic nightmare at the moment but the functionality of the app is really good.

If you just want to have a giant never-ending playlist, you might consider Castro. I believe it is the easiest to side load into. There are a lot of nice tools to tweak, too.

Downcast from a feature standpoint is just the Apple ap but more stable and less ugly but that is what some people want.

The stock ap is bad but it’s been worse I dunno I only touch it for shows I sync on my iPod for long drives though because it still just is not good.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Pocket Casts because it has a functional queue system

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I've been listening to Giant Bomb's JeffJeff's Bizarre Adventure and Bizarre Podcast Dogs Must Die and found that I'm a fan of shows where one person goes blind through a ridiculous anime with others.

I'm sure there's mountains of podcasts in that vein (actually, I know there are, I searched but as you might imagine, the quality is way more miss than hit) but any recommendations of some good (non-JoJo) ones? The show being reviewed doesn't particularly matter to me. Or should I just take this question to ADTRW?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

For sure, for their smartspeed feature alone. It’s such a quality of life improvement to cut silences and I miss it immediately when it isn’t on, like that time I turned off autocorrect.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The lack of folders/categories in Overcast is a giant bummer.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hyrax Attack! posted:

For sure, for their smartspeed feature alone. It’s such a quality of life improvement to cut silences and I miss it immediately when it isn’t on, like that time I turned off autocorrect.

You actually notice the difference? I have apparently “saved” 407 hours but I kind of doubt it makes a real difference to me

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

The lack of folders/categories in Overcast is a giant bummer.

I think you can make your own playlists though, unless you are talking about the variety of podcasts available to listen to

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

TV Zombie posted:

I think you can make your own playlists though, unless you are talking about the variety of podcasts available to listen to

That’s not it. I used beyondpod for a decade, and had my podcasts categorized by which day of the week they released new episodes. Don’t really care for a giant alphabetized list. Just need to adjust. :shrug:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

RandolphCarter posted:

That’s not it. I used beyondpod for a decade, and had my podcasts categorized by which day of the week they released new episodes. Don’t really care for a giant alphabetized list. Just need to adjust. :shrug:

A playlist is not alphabetised, though. It's ordered by release date

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I think you could probably make playlists for podcasts that come out on the same schedule and theyd populate correctly. Its not automatic but youd only have to do it once

If I misunderstood and thats not helpful I apologize

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

No, that’s pretty helpful. I’m just being grumpy about change.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

TwoPair posted:

I've been listening to Giant Bomb's JeffJeff's Bizarre Adventure and Bizarre Podcast Dogs Must Die and found that I'm a fan of shows where one person goes blind through a ridiculous anime with others.

I'm sure there's mountains of podcasts in that vein (actually, I know there are, I searched but as you might imagine, the quality is way more miss than hit) but any recommendations of some good (non-JoJo) ones? The show being reviewed doesn't particularly matter to me. Or should I just take this question to ADTRW?

I was hesitant to self-plug, but since nobody else is responding, I'm one of the hosts on an anime podcast that, until this last season, had at least one host ignorant of the series until we watched it at all times. We covered Eva, Ideon, Cyborg 009, and Monster all with 1-2 hosts unaware and usually me as the only pre-aware person. It's called Boku no Stop and we're about to go from Flip Flappers (a non-standard yuri anime with excellent animation) to The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, and I believe my cohost hasn't watched in full. I know he hasn't seen the OVAs.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

What determines what anime you talk about?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
One of the hosts picks. Started with Eva led into me suggesting the freshly in print Ideon as a predecessor, which led to Cyborg 009, then Monster to shift away from mech or mech-adjacent shows, and now with the departure of the third host for a season or two, the remaining two of us are going with anything he vetoed in the past. Usually stuff focusing on women.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Any podcasts recapping weird/awful reality shows from the 2000s? I liked Kid Nation Nation.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

c'mon guys we can make this happen

https://twitter.com/nkulw/status/1551358474277240833?s=20&t=0eqDccG1_WmkGHyriGvnvg

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Is this like Hardcore History? Never heard of Blowback before.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

busalover posted:

Is this like Hardcore History? Never heard of Blowback before.

It's kind of like Hardcore History but with all of the bad or mockable stuff replaced with good stuff. The first season was on the Iraq War, the second on the relationship between USA and Cuba, and the new third season on the Korean War. What's revolutionary about the series is that it presents an unbiased view of the conflicts and actually uses a lot of non-American sources. It's super well edited and produced too.

No baseball metaphors and I can't remember the hosts saying "Imagine what that must be like" even once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

What’s the name of the podcast so we can listen to previous works?