Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Just Boku. He's skipping the FF8 season because "you couldn't pay me to play that", but he remains on the Patreon shows and has been doing behind the scenes coding for the network with the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Hi, I’m looking for science interview podcast recommendations.
Specifically, I’ve recently gotten into a podcast called Geology Bites, whose format is just a guy interviewing Geology professors about their work. He asks great questions that make the ideas comprehensible to nonexperts without too much dumbing down. So I’m wondering if you all know of similarly-formatted podcasts about other topics.
I’ve listened to a few episodes of Ologies, which has a similar format, but it’s a little too, like, twee for my taste. Plus, although it’s supposedly about anything it seems to almost exclusively feature animal biologists (zoologists?).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

smug n stuff posted:

Hi, I’m looking for science interview podcast recommendations.
Specifically, I’ve recently gotten into a podcast called Geology Bites, whose format is just a guy interviewing Geology professors about their work. He asks great questions that make the ideas comprehensible to nonexperts without too much dumbing down. So I’m wondering if you all know of similarly-formatted podcasts about other topics.
I’ve listened to a few episodes of Ologies, which has a similar format, but it’s a little too, like, twee for my taste. Plus, although it’s supposedly about anything it seems to almost exclusively feature animal biologists (zoologists?).

Oooh see I like the idea of talking to zoologists. Do they just talk shop on Ologies or what exactly?

I unfortunately do not have a solution for you, as I in fact listen to almost exclusively zoology podcasts when it comes to science.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I haven't listened to it in a while, but assuming nothing's changed and the back catalog is still free, I really like Omega Tau. Theres a bit of a focus on aerospace, but the overall scope is still pretty broad imo.

In defense of plants is also great but is, well, limited to plants lol

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Yeah Omega Tau is free and has a shitload of content, even if you skipped the aerospace ones.

You have to find the archive RSS feed and add it as a separate "podcast" to listen to the older stuff.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
When I looked up Omega Tau, my podcast app found seven entries of what seems to be the same podcast. Right now I'm trying to figure out which one only has English episodes. It's not the one marked "English Only".

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

odd, english only is what it says for me, at least on overcast

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I only get three results, the first one is both DE and EN episodes in a single feed, then there's a German Only feed and a English Only feed.
If I tap into the English only feed I can see the latest EN episode #387, then #385, #383, etc.
:shrug:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It looks like later episodes are all English, but I was starting at episode 1 and the first three are German.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Weird, the archive feed doesn't show up as a search result in Overcast, I had to add it manually, and it starts at ep #004.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Did the guy who made Inside the Black Box start a new podcast?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

busalover posted:

Any of you guys listening to car podcasts?
This one's pretty good, though might not be what you're looking for: https://thewaroncars.org/

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Cugel the Clever posted:

This one's pretty good, though might not be what you're looking for: https://thewaroncars.org/

nah that looks cool, like a more transport centric 99% Invisible.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is there an Opening Arguments or general legal podcast thread? I wanted to see if there's a discussion of the current events obviously but also the bar exam questions Thomas is taking, the last one was really weird I thought (as did he).

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
5-4 is a podcast about how much the Supreme Court sucks.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ran into a podcast called Polishing Turds that's all about discussing bad music. So far they did episodes on the likes of Limp Bizkit, Vanilla Ice, Nickelback, etc. They go into deep dives onto the history and pre and post fame careers of these artists (I had no idea Scott Stapp had such a hosed up life) and the hosts are quite funny and snarky but always respectful and willing to give credit where credit is due. Heavily recommend it.

Edit: just ignore the podcast art. Podcast is great I swear.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 21, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

For anyone interested in prestige journalistic podcasts, new miniseries just dropped courtesy of CBC and LA Times.

Called "Outlaw Oceans" it covers stories like mercenaries, pollution, slavery etc.

First episode starts with audio footage of murders at sea, so you may want to skip it if you're sensitive to that.

https://www.theoutlawocean.com/the-outlaw-ocean-podcast/

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 26, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Can anyone explain the new season of Serial?

Someone I've never heard of before has a complicated relationship with her abusive antivax father? Is there some larger point I'm missing?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Haven't heard it but the line between good storytelling and obfuscation is very blurry, if there's a line at all. I am a weirdo in this sense but I have trouble with a lot of true-crime narratives for this reason, like I always want the story to work big to small, like I'm along the ride for an investigation. But the real "produced" ones usually hide aspects from you, take you down garden paths etc., which is good storytelling for an Ian McEwan novel or whatever but can be frustrating if you are invested in (say) solving stuff yourself.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any recommendations for reporting on current events, specifically international news? I currently listen to the BBC Global News Podcast but it's living on borrowed time now that the BBC's World Service budget is going to be cut down.

I don't really care about the editorial leaning so long there is no disinformation and their biases are easy to figure out. Just want an international news update in the mornings.

evilpicard posted:

Can anyone explain the new season of Serial?

Someone I've never heard of before has a complicated relationship with her abusive antivax father? Is there some larger point I'm missing?

That was kind of it, yeah. I think maybe they are trying to draw a clearer line between personal stories and reporting on larger political and social issues. They did get a lot of blowback from the first season, partly for making Adnan Syed a posterboy for police reform in Baltimore.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://player.fm/series/rice-to-meet-you/ep-2-poop-girl-fat-girl-get-a-nose-job-ft-eshaan-akbar

Nigel Ng (a Malaysian comedian)'s/ his funny sketch character Uncle Roger's podcast is hilarious. As the most niche comparison that I can possibly make that only works if you also listen to Ballin' Out Super, he's the exact same kind of unhinged that Alex Ptak is. I'd have to actually be listening to an episode and take specific notes down because I'm absolutely terrible at pointing out specific things I like for other people to understand, it's just very funny. It caught me off guard because I had no idea how intensely they roasted each other constantly.

6.5 Million subscribers so far, the podcast ranges between all comedy and genuinely serious depending on the guest. I like how blunt Nigel can be during it, just jokes rapid fire, able to find a speck of dirt on anyone to roast them over. And it's a lot easier to just target celebrity chefs not being able to cook a single asian dish correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_KdbASIkB8

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 4, 2022

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Poppy Hillstead Has Entered the Chat is back and it’s good

https://twitter.com/poppyhillstead/status/1572616669335273472?s=46&t=UJWmJJDBmUcwcffCfMmlQg

Snowy fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 4, 2022

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

I normally stick to more serious type podcasts like Lex Fridman, but a few weeks ago Lex had comedian Will Sasso on partly to talk about the pod he co-hosts with Chad Kultgen, Dudesy.

The story of the podcast is that the two hosts gave an AI access to all their data. The AI is in charge of the show, which includes giving the two hosts prompts to talk about, scripts to read, and tasks to do between weekly episodes. It's hard to say how much is actually AI generated and how much is scripted, but they do a good job of selling it (and it's a comedy show so it's fun to just pretend it's all from an AI named Dudesy anyway).

I checked out an episode of Dudesy after and I'm definitely hooked. Listening at work there have been moments where I've had to pause/stop because I was laughing too hard, I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for a laugh and especially if you grew up in the 80s/90s. A lot of the conversations center around 90s culture.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is overcast good for CarPlay compatibility? I’m looking for something that will only display and play podcasts I’ve already downloaded so that I don’t have to scroll while driving.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

E1 dropped an audio movie for the holiday season. It's literally the most Christmassy thing you could listen to. It's a totally stand alone episode, you don't need to know any of the E1 lore

https://twitter.com/E1podcast/status/1605969674612588552?s=20&t=WDEKyv9RzfSy_21PaiCzSA

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 24, 2022

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Overcast will display the podcasts you’ve downloaded and then play them in that order unless you’ve made a specific playlist.

My car can only display one podcast at a time so I guess that the display depends on the car.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Overcast works great for CarPlay. You can navigate your playlists, it will show episodes that are recently downloaded or in progress, and the Now Playing screen looks nice.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Kids podcast recommendations? They’re 7 and 9 but enjoy RadioLab and Invisibilia. Looking for educational story telling in engaging format. It’s for a long drive so would like something we’d all enjoy. In Australia we have Imagine This and Noisy By Nature which are almost too young but still pretty great. Love science and nature and history of exploration and stuff.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Strange Animals podcast is definitely made for an all ages audience. It’s on zoology and the occasional cryptid. The host is a delight. Episodes are short though.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Strange Animals podcast is definitely made for an all ages audience. It’s on zoology and the occasional cryptid. The host is a delight. Episodes are short though.

Gonna second this, Strange Animals is a delight.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Kids podcast recommendations? They’re 7 and 9 but enjoy RadioLab and Invisibilia. Looking for educational story telling in engaging format. It’s for a long drive so would like something we’d all enjoy. In Australia we have Imagine This and Noisy By Nature which are almost too young but still pretty great. Love science and nature and history of exploration and stuff.

Check out Brains On! It’s a science podcast for kids but very listenable for adults too.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Sounds great, thanks heaps.

I also heard an ad for one called something like "frank and mozie explore the world", which I looked for the other day but forgot to subscribe and my 'recently searched' thing is empty, and I don't even know if its any good but it's killing me, does anyone know what I'm talking about? Was advertised on The Explorer's Podcast but now they seem to have moved on to different ads in there. It's about a kid and alien who go around looking at different creatures etc.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Sounds great, thanks heaps.

I also heard an ad for one called something like "frank and mozie explore the world", which I looked for the other day but forgot to subscribe and my 'recently searched' thing is empty, and I don't even know if its any good but it's killing me, does anyone know what I'm talking about? Was advertised on The Explorer's Podcast but now they seem to have moved on to different ads in there. It's about a kid and alien who go around looking at different creatures etc.

Wouldn’t be The Alien Adventures of Finn Caspian by chance?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

DogoDogo posted:

Wouldn’t be The Alien Adventures of Finn Caspian by chance?

thanks but no the structure was exactly "X and X X the X" and the words were almost exactly "frank and mozie explore the world". But now I've searched the airwave media website and it's not even there either so maybe I imagined the whole thing.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Colonel Taint posted:

I normally stick to more serious type podcasts like Lex Fridman, but a few weeks ago Lex had comedian Will Sasso on partly to talk about the pod he co-hosts with Chad Kultgen, Dudesy.

The story of the podcast is that the two hosts gave an AI access to all their data. The AI is in charge of the show, which includes giving the two hosts prompts to talk about, scripts to read, and tasks to do between weekly episodes. It's hard to say how much is actually AI generated and how much is scripted, but they do a good job of selling it (and it's a comedy show so it's fun to just pretend it's all from an AI named Dudesy anyway).

I checked out an episode of Dudesy after and I'm definitely hooked. Listening at work there have been moments where I've had to pause/stop because I was laughing too hard, I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for a laugh and especially if you grew up in the 80s/90s. A lot of the conversations center around 90s culture.

I tried a couple of episodes and it's definitely fun. But I usually get tired of 'dudes shooting the poo poo' (as Will describes it himself).
Personally, I don't think there's that much AI involved, they make it clear with the wink to pro wrestling 'kayfabe'.
But like you said, it doesn't need to be real.
and I can use something a bit more fun. Most of the stuff I listen to are history podcasts, and it's a bit overkill.

Some of the shows I liked most this year:

Empire
History of the British empire in India. Now season two, the Ottoman empire.

The Rest is History
Somewhat lighter history podcast. Some people don’t like it because one of the hosts writes a column for a very lovely newspaper.

Gossip Mongers
Was my favorite comedy podcast, but hasn't updated since February, and I guess it's dead?

The Evaporated
Fascinating story about an all too common problem in Japanese society.
If you don’t mind about Jake ‘I totally was a journalist deep in with yakuza and none of it was embolden or made up’ Adelstein.

De kunst van het verdwijnen
Best podcast of the year for me. Starts out as a crime podcast about an ocean's eleven style bank robbery, but quickly turns into a very deep dive about the history of the neighborhood and people surrounding the bank.
But it's in Dutch, so very few people will listen to it, unfortunately.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

gossip mongers was good until they kicked poppy out or w/e happened there

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

WEH posted:

gossip mongers was good until they kicked poppy out or w/e happened there

I didn’t follow the whole drama that happened behind this, still haven’t tbh. The dynamic was definitely funnier with her. But the shows without her were still funny.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Poppy’s show is still good

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Colonel Taint posted:

Seconding this recommendation, Sasso is incredible and I’m constantly losing it at his impressions. Favorites so far are Stone Cold & Sandler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Anybody know of some good movie podcasts? Either reviewing newer releases, older, or just about film in general. Just something good.

I've been listening to We Hate Movies recently and it's funny but a lot of their episodes I'm just not interested in because I'll never watch the bad movies they're discussing. Also been listening a bit to Blank Check which I don't like because I think the hosts are irritating, but the format is something I'd be into if I liked the hosts better.

I know I can just search 'movie podcast' and get a bunch of stuff but it's mostly bland, and I'm guessing there are a handful of movie podcasts with actual fans.