Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Confusedslight posted:

I'm itching to get into a new podcast so does anyone know of any crime podcasts that delve into cold cases?

Do you specifically want cold cases/unsolved crimes or just general true crime? I don't think there are quite as many covering cold cases, because except for the really big ones most podcasts don't like to have something that doesn't have a clear end to the narrative.

Going over my way too full list:

Casefile is usually the preferred goon podcast for general true crime, but I'd say only about 30% to 50% are cold cases. It's good if you like simple, serious coverage of cases or cases that led to big developments.

The Trail Went Cold is all unsolved mysteries and started out as basically a fan podcast to talk about old Unsolved Mysteries episodes. It has the good and bad that comes with that. There's a little too much reliance on a guy touching on the matching TV episode and web sleuth forums but it also has some good coverage of events sometimes. Also he talks like an old timey radio host. You'll either like it or bounce off of it. I kind of like it overall.

Trace Evidence sounds like what you're looking for. I don't remember why I added it and haven't listened to an episode yet though. Apparently they nerd out about the evidence side of things. Either a goon or someone in the Casefile reddit recommended it.

Overall the PYF Unnerving Article or Story thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631148 drifts back into podcast talk and recommendations every 5 or 10 pages. A quick search for podcast should point out the ones that I missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I can't handle True Crime in any media unless it's, like, historical, 100+ years ago poo poo. But I also don't like fiction that's set in the real world and won't even watch a drama set in modern reality if it looks like it will bum me out. I miss out on a lot of great stuff that way but I absolutely will not voluntarily consume feel-bad media.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
Check out In the Dark, Bear Brook, and Who Killed Emma?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

Pocketcasts gets the job done for me. Haven't found a need to look at any others in years.

Imagined posted:

PocketCasts is solid, but personally I switched to Podcast Republic a few years back for the ability to set individual shows to download 'oldest first' and also to filter downloads by keyword, eg 'don't download episodes with the words 'preview, prequel, live, or minisode' in the title'.

Thanks, I’ll try these out.

If you want a true crime parody try This Sounds Serious. It’s produced and written by Dave Shumka of Stop Podcasting Yourself. I really enjoyed it.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Brilliant! Thanks for all the recommendations. The podcast app that I really like is podcast addict.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Small Town murder is great. Thanks to this thread. Two comedians take on a random murder in a small US town with less than 30k pop. Regular small town murders and a lot of fun stuff.

Casefile is great for serious stuff.

Bear Brook is a single case but mind-blowing.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

CBC's "Someone Knows Something" first season was pretty good as a true crime podcast.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Imagined posted:

PocketCasts is solid, but personally I switched to Podcast Republic a few years back for the ability to set individual shows to download 'oldest first' and also to filter downloads by keyword, eg 'don't download episodes with the words 'preview, prequel, live, or minisode' in the title'.

Podcast Republic is really neat, one of the best on any platform. I hope they're able to keep it as feature rich when they eventually finish the iOS port.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Confusedslight posted:

I'm itching to get into a new podcast so does anyone know of any crime podcasts that delve into cold cases?

The only ones I’ve been able to get into are Casefile, Trace Evidence, and Unresolved. Very in-depth and engaging, while being respectful- I can’t enjoy any true crime stuff that inserts lovely jokes or whatever.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TV Zombie posted:

CBC's "Someone Knows Something" first season was pretty good as a true crime podcast.

I tried that one but it felt like it was getting into the super annoying “this case is super deep but we aren’t going to actually find anything out” zone of unsolved true crime podcasts that at the time felt to be omnipresent. That may have been just how I was vibing with it at the time. That said, does someone knows something get better?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's an amazing podcast but they never solve anything

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Look who decided to start podcasting again!

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-choe-show/id1563281688

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

xtal posted:

It's an amazing podcast but they never solve anything

I really enjoyed the first season, haven't tried anything beyond that and it's definitely worth a listen. It's a really interesting deep dive into a child's disappearance and I think it does an amazing job of capturing the maddening uncertainty of how the family feels and how there can be a lot of seemingly promising or oddly coincidental leads that either don't pan out or are incredibly unlikely though not impossible.

I guess I'll spoil this, but it's not really a spoiler: it's almost certain that the poor kid just drowned and some quirk of lake topography or currents trapped the body and it's just never surfaced and divers never found it. Only way it isn't is if there's something drastically off about the timeline or someone is lying to cover something up, which just seems highly improbable.

But that is where the show is just such masterful storytelling. Like, you know what's in the spoiler going in or are presented it really early, but there's just enough weirdness with other leads that you can see how any family of a missing child can end up holding on to this impossible hope that their child is still alive.

It's really well done and anyone with even a passing interest in true crime should give it a listen.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I’d argue for almost all of the first season of Serial as a good true crime podcast.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
My go to for anyone asking about true crime is the first season of cold where he does the Susan Powell case to me it’s like the perfect true crime podcast and he also put out some episodes a year later that were really interesting on new information

I do really like the somebody knows something host though some seasons are hit or miss

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Anyone having trouble with apple podcast app after updating to 14.5? I am and it's loving infuriating. Episodes and shows not visible in my library, but if I know their name I can search for them and find them that way

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Anyone having trouble with apple podcast app after updating to 14.5? I am and it's loving infuriating. Episodes and shows not visible in my library, but if I know their name I can search for them and find them that way

The apple podcast app is potentially the worst podcast app

Most people I have seen on SA talking about podcasts use Pocket Cast or Overcast. I’m an Overcast person.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Azathoth posted:

I really enjoyed the first season, haven't tried anything beyond that and it's definitely worth a listen. It's a really interesting deep dive into a child's disappearance and I think it does an amazing job of capturing the maddening uncertainty of how the family feels and how there can be a lot of seemingly promising or oddly coincidental leads that either don't pan out or are incredibly unlikely though not impossible.

I guess I'll spoil this, but it's not really a spoiler: it's almost certain that the poor kid just drowned and some quirk of lake topography or currents trapped the body and it's just never surfaced and divers never found it. Only way it isn't is if there's something drastically off about the timeline or someone is lying to cover something up, which just seems highly improbable.

But that is where the show is just such masterful storytelling. Like, you know what's in the spoiler going in or are presented it really early, but there's just enough weirdness with other leads that you can see how any family of a missing child can end up holding on to this impossible hope that their child is still alive.

It's really well done and anyone with even a passing interest in true crime should give it a listen.

I found it super boring. But I also hated S-Town, which pitched itself as an investigation into small town crime and corruption but was just about a weird guy, and people liked that so ymmv.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Gripweed posted:

I found it super boring. But I also hated S-Town, which pitched itself as an investigation into small town crime and corruption but was just about a weird guy, and people liked that so ymmv.

Yeah, it's probably best to think of at least the first season of Someone Knows Something as less true crime directly, that is, here are the details of the crime, the suspects, etc. and more of an exploration of how a family deals with having an officially missing (but almost certainly dead) child. I found it fascinating on those grounds, but yeah, it is very slowly paced and definitely not something that everyone will enjoy. If someone is interested in true crime, I think it's worth giving the first episode a shot. It's pretty much that all the way through.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

rotinaj posted:

The apple podcast app is potentially the worst podcast app

Most people I have seen on SA talking about podcasts use Pocket Cast or Overcast. I’m an Overcast person.

Yeah I like overcast a lot. The Apple podcast app is bizarrely bad, at least last time I checked like six years ago.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, Overcast is pretty great and free.

Gripweed posted:

S-Town is a fascinating story about reporting, how your perspective changes your view of the story, an interesting small story about a strange man and a slightly cathartic rip on small cities if you happen to hate the city you grew up in/are stuck in.

As long as you don't realize that it didn't mean to do most of that and was mostly a bored dude kind of developing a weird obsession with an interview subject and going to great lengths to avoid discussing the massive racism hiding in the shadows, it stays pretty alright. Boy was that a podcast that just fell off the rails by the end.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, it's probably best to think of at least the first season of Someone Knows Something as less true crime directly, that is, here are the details of the crime, the suspects, etc. and more of an exploration of how a family deals with having an officially missing (but almost certainly dead) child. I found it fascinating on those grounds, but yeah, it is very slowly paced and definitely not something that everyone will enjoy. If someone is interested in true crime, I think it's worth giving the first episode a shot. It's pretty much that all the way through.

I though the point of SKS was to bring dead end cases back into the spotlight and, well, see if somebody who is listening knows something about it that might give the case some new perspective?
And that's also a reason for the slow pace, since they're getting tips during the making of a series? For that reason they're probably more interesting to listen to while they are being released.
But it,s been years since I listened to any of them, so I really can't tell.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah I like overcast a lot. The Apple podcast app is bizarrely bad, at least last time I checked like six years ago.

Bizarrely bad is the right word for it. I dread updates as they almost always change a setting or layout for no drat reason. I'm usually left in bewilderment, followed by anger. This most recent update is the last straw, I'm going to check out overcast. Thanks for the recommendation guys

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mrfart posted:

I though the point of SKS was to bring dead end cases back into the spotlight and, well, see if somebody who is listening knows something about it that might give the case some new perspective?
And that's also a reason for the slow pace, since they're getting tips during the making of a series? For that reason they're probably more interesting to listen to while they are being released.
But it,s been years since I listened to any of them, so I really can't tell.

That was probably their intent, didn't really work out that way, at least for season 1 though. I can't remember where I stopped listening but maybe they turned it around in later seasons. Season 1 is definitely as I described though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Bizarrely bad is the right word for it. I dread updates as they almost always change a setting or layout for no drat reason. I'm usually left in bewilderment, followed by anger. This most recent update is the last straw, I'm going to check out overcast. Thanks for the recommendation guys

It amazes me that they find a new way to be bad each iteration. It is amazing how difficult they make it using it to play a show, it is just is awful and unpredictable. It makes me wonder how useful all the redesign to get people to use the store more is when the player itself pushes people away from the app.

I still use an iPod classic for road trips and such which means I occasionally am stuck with Apple Podcasts for a few shows that I might listen to on said road trip. Other than that though I use Overcast or Castro.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I really love Mental Illness Happy Hour. Any other podcasts like that?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What’s it about/like?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I've got literal hours daily of chores to do and I keep running out of podcasts. Here is what I like, tell me if you think there's anything else I could be listening to. I've separated these into general categories, I've exhausted the entire catalogue of most of the ones I've mentioned.
  • Arrogant skeptical/materialist stuff like Skeptic's Guide to the Universe, QAnon Anonymous, the Dollop kinda fits in here too. I'm really into hearing about, raging about, laughing at, people doing irrational poo poo like conspiracies, psuedoscience, blockchain, etc.
  • PC Gaming - Three Moves Ahead is my favourite, the RPS Electronic Wireless Show is great just based on cast chemistry and to a lesser extent, the RPS Weekspot and the Crate & Crowbar guys also good.
  • Philosophy/random book/movie reviews from Very Bad Wizards - I don't really get on with semi-related pod 2 Psychologists 4 Beers and honestly probably hard to find something else like the Wizards, they get by on charisma alone.
  • Good history pods, I've done Fall of Civilizations & Hardcore History. I'll take more of this stuff but I think I'm kind of looking for more "group of friends talking poo poo" type pods.
Anyway I know this is a kinda random list but I'll give a good go to anything that someone thinks I might like.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
My wife was a guest on the SGU 12hr livestream! 🍉

I'd point you at Behind the Bastards if you want to rage... you may already know it though. It's like Dollop with less "wacky bits" and a compelling host.

Edit deffo check out Sawbones for quackery. Pick a topic from the episode title and hold on to your butt.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 20, 2021

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

down1nit posted:

I'd point you at Behind the Bastards if you want to rage... you may already know it though. It's like Dollop with less "wacky bits" and a compelling host.

And if you want to go in the other emotional direction there’s Do Go On, it’s like the Dollop but with less rage and more goofy Australian friendship vibes

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Oo sawbones sounds good. I actually suggested to the SGU that they do a segment on quackery throughout history, but definitely enough material in that vein for a whole other pod.

I did a few Bastards before and I think it didn't quite click, but I'll give it another shot. I think I remember learning a lot about Hitler's flatulence.

Thanks for Do Go On too, I'll hit some random episodes and see how it goes.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I don't have anything to suggest in your particular categories, but since you seem to be interested in trying out new podcasts I thought I would endorse my favourites.

Art of the Score is a podcast that dissects movie scores. The movies they choose are pretty normie, but the hosts are at least experts rather than being wikipedia nerds. It rarely updates but has a back catalog of 33x 90-120 minute episodes.
Omega Tau is a dry german who interviews real experts on science/engineering/aviation topics. Huge back catalog with episodes varying between completely uninteresting to fascinating.
Darknet Diaries is a show with an seemingly unfortunate name but ended up being quite an interesting hacker and infosec podcast.
Strong Songs is a podcast that dissects pop and jazz songs. The host does good enough a job that I listen to episodes about songs I don't enjoy, although I will admit having had to skip about 3 or 4 entirely.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I’m going to suggest the zoology series I love and I’m always happy to plug:

The Wild Episode is a thoroughly researched slowly updating show with a small back log and high production values that focuses on seriously unique animals. Some can be as famous as say the colossal squid, but the host, who has a soothing accent, really brings up some facts that are great and frankly new to me. I want him to replace David Attenborough.

Strange animals podcast is far more casual but the host has the enthusiasm of a 5th grader going on about their favorite critter and I love it just how infectious it is. Animals chosen are really varied and there is a big backlog over 100+ episodes though they’re shorter. Updates often.

The common descent podcast Two nerdy scientists with a background paleontology and evolutionary science talk just about that. It’s great for a layman and cover topics from individual species, to geological eras, extinction events, famous biologists, to biomes. More often than not they talk fossil animals. I don’t listen to every episode but you can quickly see the ones that you may like.

What I like about these three is that none are just reading Wikipedia like so many other zoology podcasts and they have character to spare.

On the other spectrum is a fiction podcast with a loose loose narrative about an ex-super villain who hosts a rock program on the radio. It’s hard to explain... The Hornet’s Nest if anyone is interested. It’s funny and just very reminiscent of a certain era of radio. It’s more about rock than super villainy but it varies.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a (traditional fantasy setting) tabletop RPG adventure podcast that isn't run by a bunch of obnoxious dweebs? I'd prefer something that leans heavily toward character/storytelling over goofing around, though I'd still enjoy a decent sense of humor.

Not The Adventure Zone—I bounced off that. Every one I've tried before feels like it's focused way more on metagaming and the players cracking jokes with each other than trying to build a compelling narrative together.

I'd also say try Rude Tales of Magic.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

~Coxy posted:

I don't have anything to suggest in your particular categories, but since you seem to be interested in trying out new podcasts I thought I would endorse my favourites.

Art of the Score is a podcast that dissects movie scores. The movies they choose are pretty normie, but the hosts are at least experts rather than being wikipedia nerds. It rarely updates but has a back catalog of 33x 90-120 minute episodes.
Omega Tau is a dry german who interviews real experts on science/engineering/aviation topics. Huge back catalog with episodes varying between completely uninteresting to fascinating.
Darknet Diaries is a show with an seemingly unfortunate name but ended up being quite an interesting hacker and infosec podcast.
Strong Songs is a podcast that dissects pop and jazz songs. The host does good enough a job that I listen to episodes about songs I don't enjoy, although I will admit having had to skip about 3 or 4 entirely.

Seconding recommendation of Darknet Diaries. Agreed the name is goofy but it is fascinating to learn about InfoSec topics in an easy to understand way with a likable host who does his research. He is an excellent interviewer.

Would recommend eps.
-21 "Black Duck Eggs," about how industrial espionage in the US was uncovered
-27 "Chartbreakers," about how easy it is to pay to boost a podcast in the Apple charts
-39 "Alarm Lamp Scooter" goes in such an insane direction it would be unbelievable if major news sites hadn't confirmed what the subject decided to do.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The Wild Episode is a thoroughly researched slowly updating show with a small back log and high production values that focuses on seriously unique animals. Some can be as famous as say the colossal squid, but the host, who has a soothing accent, really brings up some facts that are great and frankly new to me. I want him to replace David Attenborough.

Really enjoying this, thank you!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

WEH posted:

Really enjoying this, thank you!

It's so good. So many zoology podcasts are just wikipedia pages read by rather dull hosts. If he made a patreon I'd donate in a heartbeat, it's the first podcast I would've ever donated to. Apparently, he's a fantasy writer otherwise? And is working on the latest Transformer comic, which makes explains why the podcast output, though steady is slow.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Try Depresh Mode with John Moe. Also everyone should listen to Wits.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's so good. So many zoology podcasts are just wikipedia pages read by rather dull hosts. If he made a patreon I'd donate in a heartbeat, it's the first podcast I would've ever donated to. Apparently, he's a fantasy writer otherwise? And is working on the latest Transformer comic, which makes explains why the podcast output, though steady is slow.

Ah, I wondered if he might be a professional writer or something like that! Both because of the production and also because of the conspicuous absence of ads or patreon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

down1nit posted:

My wife was a guest on the SGU 12hr livestream! 🍉

Edit deffo check out Sawbones for quackery. Pick a topic from the episode title and hold on to your butt.
Regarding raging, I Don't Speak German is a good podcast that covers neo-Nazis and the far right in general. They also sometimes cover people who aren't Nazis/far right but are still chuds in various ways, such as Sam Harris, Bret/Eric Weinstein and Heather Heying, and most recently James Lindsay.

Also, speaking of raging/laughing at questionable people, Decoding the Gurus is pretty solid.

Is the Skeptics' Guide still worth a listen? I listened to literally every episode for the first ten years and then just kinda got bored with it when Rebecca left. I do think Steven Novella is one of the smartest people alive though.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 21, 2021