Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
James Urbaniak of The Venture Bros. fame has recently begun a podcast, entitled Getting On with James Urbaniak, and I must find more like it. Anyone have recommendations for eclectic readings in a similarly subdued yet suave voice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Any recommendations for good current news podcasts? There's gotta be something better than "Amanpour". I'm down with Axelrod and the Axe Files though, even if he annoys the gently caress out of me every other episode.
KCRW's To The Point is quite good.
Vox's The Weeds does good in-depth wonkery, though its status quo bias sometimes leaves it more like wankery.
Foreign Affairs's The World Next Week has an awesome overview of events going on around the world.

I need something less serious to listen to, but I've been completely unable to get into Welcome to Night Vale, Lore, or Unexplained.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's really irresponsible to recommend the Black Tapes instead of Archive 81.

Tried the first couple episodes of Archive 81 and ran into the same thing that turned me off WtNV and Lore—I get that they feel the need to overact because audio is the only medium they have, but it's a bit too off-putting. Also doesn't help that the protagonist immediately exhibits a complete lack of common sense.

The Black Tapes does come off as more natural, or at least fits typical NPR-style dialog. I'm about halfway through the first season.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

credburn posted:

You kids with your fancy phones.

Thanks for the help. I'll just keep checking the fifteen rss feeds every day.
PocketCasts actually has a fantastic web interface for your desktop-computer-based browsing needs.

Edit: Nevermind, I failed to read beyond 'PC'. Yeah, physically transferring files to a device is a tad outdated these days, so you're not going to find many options that give the process more than a barebones implementation, if that.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 20, 2016

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I recently stumbled across The Magnus Archives and have binged through episode 100 or so. It has a rough start and I don't think there was a particularly good episode until 15, but after they start getting into the overarching plot it really clicked with me.

Anyone have recommendations for other good fiction podcasts? Listened to Tanis/The Black Tapes a while back and initially liked them, but both seemed to degenerate towards not actually advancing the plot after a couple seasons. Note: I can't stand those that do the "old timey radio drama" schtick.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I've a little over halfway through horror podcast I am in Eskew and am loving it.

Was a great find after struggling through the entire first season of The White Vault in hopes that it would get better. It didn't—it's not terrible, but it's starkly mediocre. One of the voice actors would have a great voice, except he's apparently a robot and is completely incapable of the slightest emotiveness to the point that it's outright comical at times. Sorry, guy, maybe you just received weird direction from the folks running the podcast? Maybe it would've came to light in season 2 that you really were a robot?? I don't know.

Also tried another podcast that shall remain nameless, because I ran screaming from it in the first five seconds as it opened with someone turning the melodrama up to 11 in the most grating way possible.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
The folks behind I am in Eskew have come out with The Silt Verses and it's interesting so far. My only complaint is that the voice volume is ridiculously low, so much so that I've had to turn on Pocketcasts' voice booster for the first time ever.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I had terrible getting into BtB (and a few other pods) because the stoned, tangential crosstalk interrupting the info dump was grating. Would be better either going full solo like It Could Happen Here or at least reworking the dynamic somehow.

But I assume he's mostly doing the podcast to have fun and is getting plenty of listeners who don't have my complaint, so :shrug:

I don't remember what the podcast was, but I tried listening to a random find that billed itself as discussing topics in psychology/sociology where the host had on a serious researcher to talk about their work. About five minutes into the interview, the host asks a bizarre question that gets an audible pause from the interviewee as they clearly mentally step back and ask themselves "is he high?" Five minutes, two increasingly off-the-rails follow-up questions, and a bit of giggling later, both guest and I recognize the host is completely gone and will be lucky if he can even get through whatever questions he's written down ahead of time.

Like, go hog wild and all, but I don't understand how that's listenable to folks, to say nothing of respectful of the actual expert you have on.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Pocketcasts gets the job done for me. Haven't found a need to look at any others in years.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
"Moderate Rebels" is loving awful. I'd rather stick my head in a blender than listen to a couple hacks fellate any major power imperialism that isn't Western imperialism.

A staunchly left-wing critique: https://youtu.be/5NUJuGSsfNA

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 6, 2021

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Karenina posted:

Good podcasts about urban planning, housing policy, and public transit?
Haven't listened to the full back catalog of these and not sure I agree with everything put forward, but here's a few on my list:

The War On Cars
Streets Ahead (UK-focused)
Infill from California's YIMBY Action org
Densely Speaking
Seattle Transit Blog
City of the Future from Sidewalk Labs (on hiatus?)
Gimme Shelter: The California Housing Crisis Podcast (on hiatus?)

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Somewhat a tangent as my recommendation is a new Netflix series, but it's based on the podcast Archive 81, which gets put forward as a recommendation pretty frequently. I honestly found the podcast to be mediocre thanks to rushed pacing, a failure to make the protagonists relatable, and edging too far into the cartoony "radio drama" style to be taken seriously. I bounced off the second season after the first episode or two as it only seemed to make these shortcomings worse, but maybe it turned things around later.

The best thing the podcast has going for it is its premise and, whatdyaknow, in the hands of a competent screenwriter and director, has been turned into something really loving compelling. The protagonists feel like real, relatable people and the plot has enough breathing room to build up the horror without getting lost in the weeds. I'd initially turned it on to have something in the background while I played some dumb computer games, but it actually managed to grab my attention enough to set the keyboard aside and just watch the show.

Giant caveat: I'm only halfway through and there's still plenty of time for the show to poo poo the bed, but the first four episodes, at least, are well worth a watch.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
The Silt Verses has a second season on the way! They've got a teaser up, but oddly behind the Patreon pay wall. Questionable marketing strategy aside, I'm stoked because it's easily the best horror podcast I've listened to (just ahead of the creators' first, I Am In Eskew, and the Magnus Archives). I gave the first season another listen and it was just as strong as I remembered it, plus they must have gone back and fixed the audio issues where the volume levels were inconsistent.

Just started into Malevolent. First episode is interesting and well-executed. They apparently have Patreon supporters vote on the character's next steps for each episode? Curious to see how it works out.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Is there a Behind the Bastards/Cool Zone Media thread and I just can't find it? Please do not say I should make the OP.
Feel free to discuss here or start a thread, just know that you might get some angry folks dogpiling it as Evans is alleged to be a CIA shill because he might have accepted some funding from US government-affiliated sources at some point.

I loved his It Could Happen Here and the new series on Jan. 6 was good, but I bounced off BtB pretty quick because there was a lot of meandering off-topic chatter.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Well There's Your Problem has too much banter for my tastes :shrug:

I recently finished episode 5 of The Silt Verses season 2 and loved it. It's nice to see something I thoroughly enjoyed the first season of still going strong.

I also just listened through all of Video Palace. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's a pretty good example of what I find wrong with a lot of horror podcasts. I didn't realize just how tired I'd gotten of the "found footage"-style frame that is so prevalent in the genre, where everybody apparently feels the need to justify why they're recording instead of just let a story play out. The Magnus Archives is the only one that I can think of where that approach is an actual strength, while others always walk a fine line between it not getting in the way and it forcing massive eye rolls: "Hey, listener! I discovered this spooky thing and decided to make a podcast as I investigate it. I'll obsessively keep recording no matter how hosed up everything gets."

Video Palace's other great sin is that the protagonists seem virtually devoid of agency and ultimately achieve nothing. They're just railroaded at high speed from "spooky" unexplained happening A to "spooky" unexplained happening B, with one of the protagonists literally saying at the end of the season something along the lines of "In the end, all I have are more questions." You and me both, sister. Unfortunately, the show never compelled me to care what the answers to those questions might be.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

busalover posted:

Any of you guys listening to car podcasts?
This one's pretty good, though might not be what you're looking for: https://thewaroncars.org/

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Season 3 of The Silt Verses is just a few days from release! From the makers of I Am in Eskew, The Silt Verses delivers a powerful horror audio drama with the perfect blend of vibrant cast, endearing characters, and compelling narrative. They've put out a few teasers in the lead up to the release: a proper teaser, a season 2 recap (a fun re-telling by near the whole cast, not just a dry summary), and, for Patrons, an early release of the season's first episode.

It, I Am In Eskew, and The Magnus Archives are probably the only podcast series that I ever find myself queuing up for a re-listen.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Pocket Casts has worked for me for a decade :shrug:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Looks good, but the web version is locked behind a paid subscription which is annoying.
Unless I got grandfathered in with my one-time payment for the premium version of the app a decade ago, the web version shouldn't be subscription-only. Their website doesn't make it very clear, though.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Well There's Your Problem goes very in depth on historical engineering disasters. The hosts and their chemistry can be a bit love them or hate them though
I couldn't get past the banter. It's very much one of those, "one guy recites Wikipedia while a couple idiots 'humorously' interject" podcasts. The main guy's solo YouTube series was much more up my alley, but he must have enjoyed shooting the poo poo with his buddies better as that fell off years back.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
The Causality host being anti nuclear energy is a definite yikes from me.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

yeah this is a pro-subscribe. been listening to these guys for a few years. they took sam harris to task like a year or two ago. and i see that they had him on again recently! :monocle:
Decoding the Gurus was my most listened podcast of 2023 and I'd highly recommend it to anyone, but the Harris interview really let him run roughshod over everything. To some extent, it resulted in Harris telling on himself through sheer blowhardiness, but I'd have preferred more pushback.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

are you talking about the recent one or the one from a year ago?
Yeah, the actual interview from a while back versus the more recent decoding.

Zugzwang posted:

Decoding the Gurus is indeed a great show. I did have to stop listening when I realized that I was inadvertently giving way too much attention (i.e., not zero) to clowns like the Weinsteins, who are the academia versions of incels. It looks like recent episodes are on other stuff though, so I might have to dip back in.
Yeah, they've definitely put in effort to vary their content to keep it from being Weinstein Watch.

A recommendation along the lines of DtG is actually where I first heard of DtG: the I Don't Speak German podcast. They do a similar thing, but with focus on shining a light on fascists rather than gurus. I got the impression they were a tad miffed at DtG as the Harris interview came out not long after the crossover episode with IDSG and IDSG is very anti platforming fascists and the fash-adjacent (of which Harris is), but DtG has an open "right to respond" and a different assessment of who exceeds the bounds of acceptable discourse. IDSG has had low output for the last year, unfortunately, as the hosts have had life get in the way, but their back catalog is absolutely worth a listen.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Conspirituality seems up your alley. The hosts escaped a variety of toxic new age-y nonsense and now cover the convergence between that space and right-wing politics.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It’s similar to another podcast about bad books from a few years back where initially they had low hanging fruit that was easy to understand and riff on, but ran into the problem of committing weeks to reading a book that isn’t bad in an interesting way but the time commitment means they gotta make an ep anyway.
372 Pages We'll Never Get Back by the Mystery Science Theater guys? I enjoyed the roast of Ready Player One, but lacked enough of a hate boner for any of the subsequent other books to keep up with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I'm back shilling for The Silt Verses as it's recently returned from hiatus! Adjudicator Shrue reaches their breaking point as a brainstorming session reflects the real state of the war effort.

I remain the only person I know who's aware of this podcast, much less passionate about it :sadpeanut: