Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

a dozen swans posted:

(the show is sort of a Radiolab meets The F+ thing; storytelling about internet drama with lots of primary sources. The episodes are short - about twenty minutes - and take 6-10 hours to research/write/record. Thanks again.)

This sounds very much my thing! I like the F+ a lot but it's obviously just a bit of a laugh rather than storytelling and Reply All tends to tell big real life stories more than internet drama outside Yes Yes No so yours sounds like it'll fill a niche I'm interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Are there any good organised crime podcasts that are a bit more general than Mafia or Crimetown? I'm really looking for something that gives an overview as well as stories from several different groups worldwide, like the Mexican Cartels, Yakuza etc as well as the US/Italian Mafia. I know of Our Thing but it's not on Podcast Addict.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

mrfart posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended behind the bastards.

The seagal one and the Saddam one are pretty great.

The Qaddafi, non-Nazi Bastards and Idi Amin ones are also great.

Imagined posted:

What shows are better in live episodes? Usually I find they're like "Here's the same podcast but now with worse audio quality and some "Hello Cleveland!" references to a city you don't live in!" but some shows are legit better live.

Two particular examples of shows I think are better live are 'How Did This Get Made?" and MBMBaM. I guess it's not surprising that comedy shows do well, while I think more straight-faced discussion or factual shows just suffer. Like live MBMBaM is great but Sawbones is not, for ex.

When I started reading your post my first thought was Sawbones, I loved the vasectomy and Oregon Trail ones. They're a lot lighter and like a stand-up show than regular episodes, though, so it depends what you like.

I've been listening a lot to the Amateur Traveler, a very chill travel podcast with a 600+ episode backlog, more grounded ones are useful as someone who likes to travel but I enjoy poo poo like North Korea, Rwanda and Vladivostok the best. Nothing like living vicariously through more adventurous people.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Terry van Feleday posted:

Lately I've enjoyed listening to The Shrieking Shack, a podcast by 2 lapsed Harry Potter fans going back to reread and discuss the entirety of the original books chapter-by-chapter while also taking the time to poke fun at some of the more cursed sides of the fandom and the brand's current media presence.

I like their good-faith approach to the reading, being willing to appreciate the parts that still hold up but also really tear into the bits that... don't. Their dedicated comedy bits are a little hit-or-miss, but generally they're a pretty funny duo and made me laugh out load a couple of times.

Are there other podcasts doing these kinds of media deep-dives? Only one I know is System Mastery's Expounded Universe spinoff show, but as much as I like System Mastery I just... Cannot handle the Star Wars EU.

I've never listened to either but Talking Simpsons and Back to the Futurama both exist. Also I'm trying to get round to trying Potterless, where an adult man reads Harry Potter for the first time along with a couple of longtime fans (I think, it's been a while since I read the description).

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Ologies is very, very good. Personal favourites were Surgical Oncology and Eschatology.

If you're into football/soccer, These Football Times often does more historical episodes about a certain team or tournament. Episodes about Kendall's Everton and Paisley's Liverpool were great. It's not just English sides, either, there are ones about Spain's World Cup winning side and the great Ajax side of the 70s. Really welcome change from 'three guys talk about last weekend'.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

AceRimmer posted:

What's a good aviation disasters podcast?

All the generic disaster pods seem to be someone reading Wikipedia from their garage, only decent one I've found is Catastrophe! with Jess Phoenix. Any other good ones?

Inside the Black Box is fantastic. The guy is an actual pilot so episodes don't come out often but they're well explained without being dumbed down. The Plane Crash Podcast is a new one with a lot of potential even if it can be a touch Wikipediaish, one thing I like about it is that they've interviewed a couple of plane crash survivors.

I'll give Catastophe! a listen since I'm not a massive fan of any disaster pods I've listened to. Great Disasters is quite good but I couldn't take to All Bad Things at all.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Imagined Life is great but it's always an anticlimax when you've never heard of the person, this week I didn't know who Margaret Cho is. I've heard the name but not much beyond that. From an episode a while back, I also didn't know who Reba McEntire was at all, I guess because I'm not American. Still, it's fun to learn about someone who's not on your radar.

I'm surprised Imagined Life doesn't have more presence online, it'd be fun to know how many other people got the answer and when.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Sickboy and Sawbones are decent live. Sawbones leans more heavily into comedy and Sickboy is much the same with occasional noises from the crowd. I think I read somewhere that a podcast with a good following can end up with a significant proportion of their income from live shows, it would explain why my fantasy football podcast has live events when I can't think of anything worse.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Cross Examined Life is the only other one I can think of.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

mrfart posted:

Oh really? I was wondering why she isn’t in the new season. Do you know the reason she had to leave? Despite her absence it’s once again laughing out loud funny.

David Earl tweeted something quite cryptic before deleting his twitter account about only having one side and so on.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Azathoth posted:

They got 425 patrons and when things get on the cusp of getting big, that's when this poo poo starts popping off.

No one gives a poo poo about beer money, but once it starts to become "this side hustle could be my full time gig", that's when things get nasty.

They got 500 patrons, they have 422 now because people didn't like them booting Poppy without a good reason, also it's not as good with just 2 of them. I'm not sure how they thought just putting out a series without Poppy and not saying anything would go over well. It's one of those podcasts where it's important to feel like the 3 of them are genuinely enjoying each other's company and it's a bit tainted now.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I went to Lancaster University, loved the city so much I stayed and it's great when En Clair gets a mention in the wild. I do a sport with a member of the Linguistics department and they're extremely lovely so the podcast getting listeners makes me happy. The university is going through some things with Covid atm but hopefully it'll be back before too long.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

~Coxy posted:

Reply All should go back to being about weird internet ephemera like it was in 2015.
These days (and rarely) Yes Yes No is the only segment that's actually "about the internet".

Super Tech Support was always my favourite segment, the one about the couple whose house would continually show as the location of stolen phones was great. I think it was called 'In the Desert'.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Kerbtree posted:

Is there a gross hospital stories podcast? This won’t hurt a bit kinda had it covered, but their last output was over a year ago.

Stat! Has some of that, though it feels like they're moving more to medical crime now.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Confusedslight posted:

Does anyone know of any good climate change podcasts? Been looking for something with more of a sciency bent.

Old question but it never got an answer and Europe is experiencing unprecented heat so the environment-y pods I listen to are:

Sustainababble - Fairly light-hearted UK environment podcast from two guys who've been in the environment game forever, I listen most weeks. Definite UK bent when it comes to what they cover but they still have an international audience. Quite enjoy that they can people who suck 'Inhofes' and they walk the line between keeping it somewhat light while dealing with such serious matters really well.

Crazy Town - More generally about overshoot, systemic problems and consumption, I think these guys are engineers or something like that. Basically where we are now is Crazy Town and they talk about how we got here.

The Climate Question - Sticks to climate more than the others, it's a half-hour BBC podcast, talking a different question on the climate every week like 'do we have enough power for EVs?' or something like that.

Outrage and Optimism - Covers all sorts around climate, hosted by Christiana Figueres who has worked at the very highest level on climate in the UN

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

busalover posted:

Any of you guys listening to car podcasts? I've subbed to Past Gas and Highside/Lowside (about bikes but whatever), and am looking for more.

I didn't have much success when I looked. CarStuff had its moments but it's been dead since 2020.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

mrfart posted:

If books could kill is a nice new podcast where the hosts look back at the ‘airport bestsellers’ that had a big impact on society, and how loving awful they really are.

Subbed! Two pods I like (Sustainababble and Wrestling 20 Years Ago) are stopping so this'll fill a gap. Devastated about Sustainababble, there's nothing really like it and I'm always keen to hear what the hosts had to say about whatever environmenty/climaty thing is in the news but they feel it's time so that's fair.

I'm a Duckfeed patron now and I'm really enjoying the Watch Out for Fireballs back catalogue, it's just so much better than any other games club podcast but Cane and Rinse, which it's somewhat better than imo. I especially like that Gary seems to have similar taste in games to me but a very different outlook on life, which came across most in the Outer Wilds episode. It's cool to use games as a springboard to talk about big things instead of getting no deeper than 'this fight was annoying' or 'this weapon is cool' like most podcasts. It makes me want to try Dark Souls again just so I can listen to Bonfireside Chat. I'll stick with playing Max Payne just to listen to that episode for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

~Coxy posted:

Is anyone else sad because all their old podcasts are dying?

James Bond Radio wrapped up for personal reasons.
Art of the Score no episodes for a long time now.
Reply All imploded.
Omega Tau guy can't seem to get guests and isn't feeling it anymore besides.
Omnibus down to once a week.

I wonder if we're going into a general lull.

Sustainababble hung up their microphones too, and there's really nothing like it :sigh:
Flash Forward is over too
And Wrestling 20 Years Ago is finishing with Wrestlemania 19 this March
Also had to unsubscribe from Inside the Black Box after two years with no episodes...

drat

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 9, 2023