Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Is there anything that even comes close to A Life Well Wasted in the world of games podcasts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Are there any podcasts made by people with pleasant, soothing voices? A lot of podcasts I'm interested in (Hardcore History etc) have great content but I hate how the presenters sound.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Pollyanna posted:

I've got a 17-hour total drive coming up, and I'm going to play podcasts off my phone for most of it. Are there any Android apps that would make this easier? Something like making a playlist of casts, downloading them, then I can just hit "play" and they all go and I don't flip my car trying to hit fast forward.

Is there something like this?

(Also recommendations would be nice, I like the idea of a comedic D&D session to laugh along to. I've got Welcome to Nightvale, How did this get made, and Bombcast in the list of stuff to get already :3:)

Beyondpod is very good at this.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I want a podcast that focuses on similar topics to 99% Invisible, but is longer (30m or more). Anything like that exist?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

MachinTrucChose posted:

Are there any quality educational podcasts that are short and to the point?

I tried listening to a few recommendations from the first couple of pages, and I find most podcasts seem to go on way too long. I did find some quality ones about history, but it's not a subject that interests me.

For the stuff that did interest me, I don't have 1-2 hours to spend listening to something that could've been cut to 15 minutes if the hosts didn't treat it like a conversation in a coffee shop. Like, I'm listening to Stuff You Should Know as I write this, and one co-host keeps interjecting and offering his thoughts. Your thoughts didn't contribute anything to my learning, why speak just for the sake of it? And now one of them is telling an unrelated story about his childhood. 15 minutes in and they only stayed on-topic for 1 minute, during the intro. I'm not listening to 1 hour of this.

I guess what I want is a lecture more than a podcast? I'm not looking for a couple of friends shooting the poo poo, I want efficient transfer of knowledge while I play a sports videogame for 30 mins.

Classical Classroom if you're interested in learning about classical music from a layperson's perspective.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Need niche music podcasts. I like the style of All Songs Considered but I find a lot of what they play pretty bland. I don't really mind what genre the podcast is (or if it covers everything) but it'd be good if there was a focus on lesser known acts. A higher music to interview/talking ratio would be nice as well. Not particularly interested in ppls inspiration or studio process.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Any recommendations for informative podcasts where the experts are allowed to talk at length without interjections, cuts to music, voiceovers from the hosts paraphrasing what the actually interesting person is saying? I love In Our Time for example, but it's necessarily brief, and Bragg sometimes plays a bigger role than he should.

Essentially...I guess I'm looking for a condensed lecture format rather than an interview style podcast. I enjoyed the Reith lecture series for example.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Dan Carlin's mega podcast about the war in the Pacific

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Ancient history podcast recs?

I've been listening to:
* Tides of History - sometimes very good. I really liked the interview he did with the Egypt expert a while ago. I find it a bit overproduced and contrived at times, though. The dramatic music when each episode reaches its thematic denouement is really distracting.
* History of Egypt Podcast. I've started this from the very start and I've reached the episodes that he hasn't had time to re-record and it is a bit painful. His content is good, but his delivery in these early episodes isn't very engaging and the recording quality is pretty poor. I'll probably persevere with it since it's clearly a real labour of love.
* In Our Time - I listen to most of these and appreciate that they get actual experts on. The episode about the Rosetta Stone is what started my latest Egypt obsession.

I'm aware I criticised Tides for being overproduced and History of Egypt for being underproduced...somewhere in between would be ideal.

Things I plan to listen to:
* Thin End of the Wedge

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks for the recs. I forgot to include Fall of Civilizations in the list of things I'd tried. It's good, hope there's more soon.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's OK. Often when I'm listening I think I'd prefer to just hear the expert lecture, but it's good to put on in the background sometimes. A lot of interesting people and disciplines on it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Is anyone doing anything like the old Robert Ashley podcast A Life Well Wasted - interviews with interesting game related people? Like...99 percent invisible or TAL but game related?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Any recs for podcasts in the nerd talks at length about a single large subject genre? I'm already listening to History of Egypt, Tides of History, and History of English and I like how they're basically all information and there's just one host.

It doesn't have to be history.

I'm trying Secret History of Western Esoterism as well, but it might be too esoteric for me. Plus the interviews in the early episodes have terrible audio quality.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 27, 2022

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I can't believe I forgot about Carlin. I like him a lot.

History of Rome is pretty much exactly what I want, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

drainpipe posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a podcast where each episode is just a medium dive into a random interesting thing? All my podcasts are fairly specialized so I was hoping to expand my horizons.

I realize there must be many such podcasts, so I’d prefer it to be lighter in subject matters (although not necessarily comedic) and around 1 hr or less in length.

Edit: the closest podcast like that that I currently listen to is Odd Lots, but that’s fairly focused on business and economics.

BBC's the Forum