Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So I recently got into Weird Things the podcast, it's...honestly I don't know how to describe it, it's literally 3 dudes hanging around talking about weird things, often with some sort of zany roleplaying 'scenario' for two of them to work through to figure out what craziness happened.

Are there any more like that? Like, just super loose, near entirely unserious looks at bizarre things without falling into either "THE ALIENS ARE COMING BECAUSE MY CRYSTAL TOLD ME TODAY IN A DREAM" or "HEH you believe in a common superstition, loving ignorant plebe!"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So gonna nerd it up all over here.

Treknologic is a great podcast I've found about Star Trek. The crux of the show is a group of a couple of guys and a girl (I think one of their wives?) talk about one trek episode, basically being typical trek dorks about it nitpicking over pointless details and arguing about their magic space show, and do a trivia game at the end because trek nerds need to always prove who king nerd is. Basically it's one of those shows that works because the group has a good groove together, and they're not super spergy nerds about it, so it's more focused on 'wait why did the idea of the Borg repairing their ship freak Picard out so much, that's super normal right?' rather than 'BUT WARP 9 WAS ESTABLISHED AT EXACTLY 30.87 TIMES THE SPEED OF LIGHT IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE FOR THEM TO OUT RUN THAT SHIP'. So yea, if you like Star Trek you may like this, the 'review an episode' format really helps it be engaging to non-hardcore fans, as opposed to just a bunch of dudes debating if Romulans have pon farr or not.

Are there any other active Star Trek podcasts like this in nature?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I started listening to Caustic Soda and Weird Things around the same time. Caustic Soda is loving great, they take one subject, deadly, gross or just odd things (tanks, explosions, parasites etc) and discuss all the aspects of it, history, pop culture, in the news and the guests they have are actually interesting/funny/have some sort of knowledge in the subject, whether its just someone who is really into the subject as a hobby, or an actual expert in the field.

Plus I think at least one of them is a goon.

I need to finish listening to Weird Things, but the fact that Spiro named his billy club Lil' Fudge after his partner Fudge.

Just wanna say, finally got around to this, this show is so great. I'm gonna wind up listening to all of these drat things.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

I need to recommend Losing the Sheen.

It's described as the only Two and a Half Men fancast for people who don't watch Two and a Half Men. Justin from My Brother, My Brother and Me and his wife, who never saw a single episode of Two and a Half Men prior to Aston Kutcher joining the cast, force themselves to watch each week and provide really funny reviews mainly focusing on how painfully unfunny TV's Favorite Comedy is.

Anyone that has ever been deeply confused and somehow distressed by the popularity of TaaHM (when they themselves watched it once and didn't so much as smile during the entire episode), will appreciate this.

I have never watched TaaHM since like, years ago and I love this cast. I love them calling the kid 'Half-Man' and trying to invent elaborate reasoning for why he's not there and all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Thanks to My Brother My Brother and Me I found Tim and Simon's Brain Spill. This podcast is great, it's just two english dudes being crazy about no topic in particular, sprinkled with fake ads. The episodes are short, almost too short really, they all bump around the 25 minute mark. If you like a bit more random humor without dipping into 'LOL MONKEY CHEESE' levels, and don't bleed at the ears hearing two english guys giggle at eachother, you should totally give it a listen.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jefferoo posted:

Can anyone reccomend podcasts similar to the F Plus podcast, which is making fun of stupid people on the Internet, such as Isitlegal.com and TV Tropes? It pretty funny but the production value needs some work.

Can't help you but I'm listening to it right now because you just totally recommended it!

Lou Reads is a goon-made podcast where, well a guy named Lou reads poo poo from the internet, usually bad things, he doesn't comment on it like the F Plus guys, but he has a good voice and it's fun to hear him groan and react to the worst stuff.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So are there any good paranormal/cryptid kinda podcasts that aren't either complete idiots going 'I FELT COLD WHEN I WENT INTO MY HOUSE SO THIS IS 100% PROOF OF GHOSTS' or smug dicks laughing at the very concept of strange things happening? I tried listening to the Weird Things podcast and while they had some hilarious moments, I had to filter through 20 minute libertarian rambling and "GUYS THE SINGULARITY IS COMING RIGHT NOW IF ONLY STUPID OBAMA HADN'T RUINED NASA AND LITERALLY KILLED SCIENCE SPACEX SAVE US!!!!" stuff and eventually got sick of it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So what comic book/comic book 'culture' podcasts don't suck nards? Right now all I have is Major Spoilers which is a nice kinda 'technical' look I suppose but I'm looking for a more, I don't even know really I guess 'light hearted'? Like, are there any 'just kinda talk and joke about comics' podcasts that don't have every five minutes broken into how much they want to creepy-gently caress Catwoman or other terrible nerdisms?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey guys, if you remember the GBS thread where we found out about the horrific ten dicked dragon robot otherkin who want to invade an African nation to take it over for their crazy nerd-home, the pod cast The F Plus did an episode on it. It was recommended before but pretty much it's a group of people who read and mock horrific and stupid internet forum posts or blogs, and it's pretty great. Figured it was worth a re-recommend for covering a topic that...'amused' us so.

http://thefpl.us/index.php

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I was thinking of making a thread about The F Plus because it's awesome. Anyone who reads and/or posts in the kinds of threads that pop up here that make fun of insane poo poo (Malatoria, TVTropes, ect) would love it.

Yea it pretty much rules for you if you've ever read any given GBS/D&D/PYF 'let's mock these idiots' thread. Them and Lou Reads have saved me much brain damage by reading stupid things for me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So I have plenty of beer/homebrewing podcasts, but I need some sources for liquor/cocktail stuff. Right now all I have in that field is the Everyday Drinkers video podcast and that's just a short recipe/review thing. Any other good ones out there for either the same kinda thing or a general discussion?

edit: Oh yea, and on the other end, are there any currently still going tea podcasts? I'd love a good review/discussion source for tea that's still actually updating.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 17, 2012

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Randallteal posted:

I still think the first fifty or so Smodcast episodes are really funny, but it fell off a cliff around the time Zack and Miri came out.

I personally feel it got better a bit after that (a good bit, mind you). I used to hate on Smith but I've gotten back into his podcasts and realized he's still the normal petulant manchild, who happens to also be super funny when he's not being a big baby, as always. It's just that at this stage of life he's surrounded himself with enough people to help him realize 'oh, right, I can't just grumble about critics I should try entertaining people'.

Fatman on Batman, though, is amazing. Smith is a great interviewer (really, knock his personality all day but the dude has a skill at conversation) and Batman is something he's a huge fan of so there's genuine enjoyment there. Mark Hamill was his guest for the two most recent ones and it is downright delightful to listen to them talk.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think I asked before, but what are some comic book podcasts that don't suck rear end? My bar is pretty low for rear end sucking, really, all I ask is a room full of hosts who can go five minutes without talking about how much they want to bone Power-Girl and have a bit of a more light hearted view than the serious hardcore 'well in issue 305 the Fantastic Four jet had controls on the left, but now it has them on the right, I hope they address this serious error'?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Len posted:

This might be an odd request but are there any podcasts in the style of the old pulpy radio shows?

Not quite a 'radio show' like Thrilling Adventure Hour captures, but if you want old pulp stories pretty well narrated you can't go wrong with Protecting Project Pulp, a part of the District of Wonders network which also has a sci fi, horror, and crime noir story podcast.

I don't remember if Relic Radio's network did their stuff in the proper radio play way or if it was just read stories as well, but they also had a pulp show I believe.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey guys, The Comedy Button just updated with a 'best of' show for the year, it's a good place to get into it and see if it's your thing.

Basically if you ever heard the old podcast The Gamespy Debriefings it's that group of game/tech 'press' sitting around and telling dirty jokes and being assholes. I really enjoy it and think it needs some love.

Also before this they did a rifftrax on Santa Clause that was awesome, obviously not part of the best of but worth a listen if you enjoy the show.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Len posted:

I've listened to all of Welcome to Night Vale a few times and I'm really looking for something else to listen to that scratches that Lovecraftian horror itch. I would prefer something with a full cast just because I enjoy radio drama more than podiobooks but I'll take anything really.

I can't help you (though I'd love to hear the answer as well), but thanks to this I just started on Night Vale, oh my god this is so good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

En Fuego posted:

How do you guys feel about trying to get money for a podcast via Kickstarter? I have a couple of friends who are coming back to podcasting, having done nearly 100 episodes, and they're asking for money.

On one hand, I get it ... It's a good way to gauge interest and if it's not there you don't have to do it. On the other hand, it seems like a weird way to get cash.

Thoughts?

Hell the D&D podcast I love listening to had a KS for like, a thousand dollars to get better gear and got 10k and that was after like 20 episodes of 'four idiots play D&D and make jokes'. Just stay reasonable with goals and have some neat rewards or something (the D&D one did a set of dice and a dice bag with character logos on them for example) and it's at least worth a shot. Not like they lose money if they fail it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BigRed0427 posted:

Is there a thread for How Did This Get Made? This week's episode was on Crocodile Dundee 3 and they had one of the writers on. He talked about pitching the movie and writing it for Paul Hogan. Long story short: Paul Hogan is a dick.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527978

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I would usually recommend the Nosleep Podcast for good horror audio but they switched over to a stupid pay system where you buy a season pass or whatever, so I guess check out their earlier free stuff. It's good, there's some dumb poo poo because it's all picked from stories written on a Reddit board, but there's been some good stuff too. Not 'pay real money for' good, but decent. I think Chilling Tales actually poached a few stories from that board, though, or maybe vise versa, who knows.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea absolutely wasn't meaning that as some 'woah unoriginal' thing, just saying chances are good stuff from Nosleep will still show up on places like Chilling Tales which makes the silly paywall even more silly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Len posted:

Are there any good podcasts of people playing tabletop rpgs?

The Drunks and Dragons Podcast is pretty funny.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Monster cables?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lampsacus posted:

Thanks for your ideas on what makes a good podcast. I'll use them when making mine.

Oo, QI podcast thing? This looks good.

I mean it's kinda hard to answer such a broad thing. Like what makes a good comedy show is different than what makes a good news show which is different than what makes a good anime review show which is different than what makes a good radio play type show and so on. I guess the constant thing that is needed is good personality and decent quality gear?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If you love The Simpsons and hate The Simpsons' modern incarnations, boy did I stumble on a great podcast for that.

http://worstepisodeeverpodcast.wordpress.com/

Worst Episode Ever is a cool podcast by two dudes who 100% acknowledge they're basically being Comic Book Guy. They do a good job explaining WHY the episodes they pick suck instead of just going 'it's bad because I said so and it was made post 2000 ergo it's trash.' They acknowledge funny parts, they are legitimately trying to rank these episodes so not every bad episode is treated as the worst, and generally they're two funny people making jokes while they talk about lovely Simpsons episodes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it's a good podcast but I just skip most any one about the severely mentally ill because he's just gonna fart into his own mouth for a bit about how ANY ONE OF THEM IS A TICKING TIME BOMB AND YOU NEVER KNOW WHO IS ONE OF THEM OH MY GOD THEY MAY BE RIGHT BEHIND YOU RIGHT NOW.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I still think Drunks and Dragons is real good but yea the Cthulhu one is super not good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Inzombiac posted:

Ooo, thanks.
Adventure Zone is great. The scene where Magic Brian tries to do the "we look the same but which one do you shoot" trope made my sides burst.

Shove it up your magical rear end has become a default insult for casters in my D&D group thanks to AZ.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

General Ironicus posted:

Campaign is a 40+ episode campaign playing Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, and it's the best actual play podcast being made right now. I say this as a person who loves the one I make and listens to plenty of others: http://www.oneshotpodcast.com/category/campaign/campaign-podcast/

A scumbag smuggler who is probably illiterate, a bounty hunter with a romance novel addiction and no regard for human life, and an ex clone trooper/drug-addicted ghost hunter try to raise a five-year-old orphan as they run from the budding Empire. It includes a roughly even mix of firefights, deception, diversions, and breadsticks. The crew is made of Chicago-trained improvisers and it carries over in a great way.

Oh wow I love One Shot and somehow never heard about this (or heard about this and forgot).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

rotinaj posted:

So, I didn't listen to Last Podcast on the Left for a month after deciding I was not enjoying myself, and just checked it today. They did three episodes on 9/11. I figured I'd give the first one a listen, see if it was any good, and they were actually covering some pretty cogent points, like immediately trying to debunk the loving "jet fuel cant melt steel beams" meme. So, I kept listening, and I'm reminded of why I loving hate Henry Zubrowski. He's not funny, and when he gets mad and worked up, he starts stuttering, and the noise he makes when he's stuttering is annoying as gently caress. His voices are annoying as gently caress, too, and they're all pretty racist. So, I have two questions.

He's on some Adult Swim series. Is he at all enjoyable on that, or is he just an all-around waste? Second, the other two hosts said something about doing another podcast without Zubrowski called Abraham Lincoln's Top Hat. Anyone ever listened to that or Cave Comedy Radio? Is any of it any good?

He does Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell and it's ok but not great in general, he really has no factor in it either way.

I also would like to know the other podcasts because yea Henry is the fuckin pits, any podcast without him becoming a weird sputtery nerd shouting about how mad he is like a slightly racist Speed Buggy would be good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
What happened to drunks and dragons to make it suck, I stopped paying attention to it after a bit and I found some other podcasts like it that worked better for me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So since Worst Episode Ever sucks dong are there any actually good podcasts about The Simpsons?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Are there any podcasts that focus on urban legends? Not just generic horror stuff I mean but go into the history and what inspires urban legends and all?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

life is a joke posted:

Lore, but only sometimes.

Yea I got Lore, they're fantastic and I probably should have said my ideal option was one like Lore but more focused on that topic

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

evilpicard posted:

Chapo Trap House is essential listening.

I somehow only just heard about this and holy gently caress you guys it's everything you ever needed

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Guy Mann posted:

I started listening to it after I was linked to an article bashing it that was so insufferable it made me immediately interested in the show and I've loved it ever since.

that article owns because I can't tell if they're mad that they're fake leftists or too leftist or what. Like it constantly switches from "THESE IDIOTS PROBABLY LOVE COMMUNISM EVEN THOUGH THEY MAKE FUN OF SOVIET PROPAGANDA AND poo poo" to

quote:

Red flags abound in this poo poo. I personally stay away from any pundit who uses code words like “dove”, “hawk”, “non-interventionist foreign policy”, etc. when skirting around the issue of AMERICAN IMPERIALISM AS IT SHOULD BE CALLED.

Like, what the gently caress is this.

Mr Hootington posted:

no it isn't. it is a garbage podcast

A garbage podcast or "a garbage podcast"?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Y-Hat posted:

That's a bit of a misrepresentation about Chapo. It's not that they don't like talking about race, it's that they don't like how some people talking about race present it as independent from problems of economic inequality. That's what a fair amount of people did during the primary- Amanda Marcotte, Sady Doyle, Ta-Nehisi Coates to an extent. And to their credit, they did say on a recent episode that they should bring on more women and nonwhite people. Also, the Cum Town debate had a woman guest on it. They're trying.

I do agree that they're funny, though.

The problem is it's really hard to take a bunch of white internet dudes seriously when they're trying to explain how actual black people are wrong about the realities of racial bigotry. Like, using Coates as an example is kinda the exact problem. The thing that made ~woke twitter~ mad at him was a piece where he said 'yea I'm far from happy with Clinton and think she has a lot to answer for too but I don't support a dude who thinks all bigotry is economic based when you can just look at the news and see black people of all backgrounds being treated like garbage by white people of all backgrounds'.

Chapo is funny as gently caress though and their funny poo poo is waaaaay more than their 'hey let me tell you why ~identity politics~ is killing the left, minorities' poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Y-Hat posted:

It's unfortunate that Pardon My Take, the Barstool Sports podcast with PFT Commenter, is just OK, as well as the fact that he left SB Nation in the first place. If anyone has a truly funny sports podcast that isn't focused on hockey (I already listen a few of those), drop some names.

I'm also on the lookout for this, I have a couple more serious baseball ones, and yea Pardon My Take which is a solid 'eh, it's ok' like most of Barstool is for me, but I'd love some better funny sports podcasts to listen to.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's weird and unexpected that the guys who claim to be able to ship salmon across the country for ten dollars weren't handling health and safety well.

also holy poo poo

quote:

All told, interviews with 14 former employees describe a chaotic, stressful environment where employees work long days for wages starting at $12 an hour bagging cilantro or assembling boxes in a warehouse kept at a temperature below 40 degrees.

“You put honey in a small container. We would put small peppers in little small bags,” said Glenn Lovely, who worked as a temp in the Richmond facility for three months. “And it was cold — cold as hell.”

To combat the cold temperatures required by food safety laws, Blue Apron provides each employee with a jacket, thermals, a hat, and a neck warmer. Some people said this was sufficient, but others struggled to adjust. “Your fingers would start to get numb and start to hurt from using them,” said former warehouse lead Andrew Driskell.

They run their warehouses like a meth lab

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It was more the whole long hours doing precise work in lovely conditions thing than the 'it was cold' thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Sword and Scale was pretty decent but it's devolved into some weird moralizing "THE MENTALLY ILL ARE A CONSTANT DANGER TO US ALL AND THE FILTHY CHILDREN OF THE DAY GO ALONG WITH IT" sermon and any time he has actual experts on to provide interesting insight he ruins it by just farting out a 'yes evil is real and strong and is my friend and it exists in every mentally ill soul the end good bye' conclusion. If you told me during that Q&A he just got up and left the room until the last wrap-up where he did his dumb poo poo I wouldn't be surprised at all, it seems like he just does his podcast to hear himself talk and feel very wise.