Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Some friends of mine have launched Hold My Order Terrible Dresser, a deep-dive watch along history nerd WKRP in Cincinnati podcast. They aren't up in iTunes yet (I guess they need a few more episodes in the can first) but the latest one, episode 4, covers the classic "Turkeys Away" episode. In it they discuss the hidden occult working written into the episode, the existential horror of being a sitcom character and the great American malaise of the late 1970s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

"Hold My Order, Terrible Dresser" is about the tv show WKRP in Cincinnati, but covers a lot of late 70s/early 80s pop culture.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Relin posted:

what's a good podcast in the vein of coast to coast am? especially something that doesn't take itself too seriously

Best one I've found is Mysterious Universe, but that teeters on the edge of taking itself seriously and buying into the woo in places.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Any recommendations for podcasts on tabletop board/card/role playing games that are more on the "academic" side (i.e., analyzing design elements, looking at themes and trends, etc.)? Looking for something a little deeper than just reviews or "battle reports" or just a bunch of dudes just joking around with each other. I feel like Have Games Will Travel used to fill this niche a bit back in the day.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Under the vegetable posted:

Ken And Robin Talk About Stuff is incredibly good in terms of content but they record it with what sounds like a microphone from 2002.

It's game designers Kenneth Hite and Robin D. Laws talking about game design.

Thanks, that's definitely the sort of thing I'm looking for but with more emphasis on board & card games (and less on food, movies and politics).

head58
Apr 1, 2013

It’s mostly foreign policy related but Deep State Radio is a great political podcast.

If you have center-left leanings and want some laughs in your politics Pod Save America might be worth checked by out too.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

DogoDogo posted:

The West Wing Weekly is a favorite of mine... going back through the original show, one TV episode per (hourlong) podcast episode, lots of insider info.

I’m part of a Babylon 5 deep dive podcast called “The Name of the Pod” that goes episode by episode looking at the ongoing cultural legacy in genre and non-genre media. If you have an interest in sci-fi tv of the 90s and the changeover from episodic to serialized tv you might find it interesting.

Some friends did a WKRP in Cincinnati history deep dive podcast a few years back, “Hold My Order Terrible Dresser.” They’re much smarter and more insightful than I am.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

The only thing I dislike about Astonishing Legends is the padding and repetition. It often feels like they have a half an hour of material and stretch it out to 2 hours.

I’m looking at you, 14 hour multi-part series on the Patterson/Gimlin film.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

ketchup vs catsup posted:

If you have the time, I cannot recommend starting at ROTL episode 0 and going all the way through, enough.

Yes, it is 379 >1 hour episodes spread out over 9 years, but the story arcs the show has generated (Merlin's cat, John's attempts to get back into music, John's run for Seattle city council, Supertrain, John's attempt to hide the name of his daughter for years, John's many dealings with houses and renovations, etc) are really the cornerstone of the show.

Some day I’m going to relisten to RotL from the beginning and write down every time John says “The thing about X is...”

head58
Apr 1, 2013

The BBC adaptations of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward and The Whisperer in Darkness were very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Was it Alibi maybe? Sounds like this story.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2020-01-21-podcast-kzn-teacher-gunned-down-in-front-of-matric-class/

head58 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 13, 2021