Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Behind the Bastards I've spent the pandemic catching up through the archives and it's always pretty enjoyable. I don't care for every guest, but I see them as a necessary evil. Some of them are very good and funny though.

See, I like BtB, but one of my bugbears with it is the format, in that the guests are often minimally utilized. They come in blind, not knowing much or anything about the subject, so at the outset there's sort of a professor/student dynamic going on. Evans has a ton of material to plow through, and so it feels likes the guests just serve to be a boring echo chamber of reactions ("Wow," "NO," "What a shithead!") or bad one-liner jokes they're trying to throw out in the midst of the narrative. It could also just be that certain guests aren't my cup of tea, but I can never tell if it's that or if they just don't have much to do.

I see why RE wants guests, as it adds to a more casual feel, but a lot of the time I feel like the delivery falls flat.

JaneError fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

Just started The Turning: The Sisters Who Left, about the women who left Mother Teresa’s order, the Missionaries of Charity. It’s pretty good so far, if you’re interested in religious/cult abuse.

JaneError fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 12, 2021

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

Confusedslight posted:

Is there's any good podcasts or just podcast episodes that delve into prehistory? Love learning about that era!

Tides of History has been doing prehistory for…maybe the last year and a half or so? He’s into early pharaonic Egypt now.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

Swindled, maybe? Not generally super low-stakes but otherwise meets your criteria: https://swindledpodcast.com

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

Mother Country Radicals is about Weather Underground and the Black Panthers; it's hosted by Zayd Ayers Dohrn, the son of Bill Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn, so he has access to a lot of insider interviews.