Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This might overlap a bit with the conspiracy theory conversation, but can anyone recommend good spooky podcasts for the upcoming spooky Halloween season? Stuff about ghosts or aliens, or even true crime stuff as long as it's more spooky than sad. Like, spooky disappearances, not sad child murders.

Just no fiction, I don't approve of it, and no Last Podcast on the Left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Azathoth posted:

Astonishing Legends and Pleasing Terrors are exactly what you want. Also The Strange and Unusual Podcast and Unexplained.

Human Tornada posted:

Snap Judgements Presents: Spooked.

True scary stories told by the people who experienced them on a wide range of topics, from ghosts to kidnappings. It only airs around Halloween time so they can be selective about which stories make the cut, and the production values are really good.

I will try all of these, thanks.

Goddamn, Astonishing Legends did a fifteen hour long series on the Patterson Gimli film. I am 100% down for that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Alright, nevermind about Snap Judgement Spooked then

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I actually used to listen to Lore! I don't remember why I stopped.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I gave up on This American Life a few years back when I hit my maximum allowable lifetime dose of David Sedaris

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I've given up on Astonishing Legends. I was so excited when I saw how long the episodes were, I thought they were going to be super in depth deep dives. Which they are, I suppose, but it feels like most of the length comes from being really repetitive and somewhat poorly structured, and if they get in touch with someone from the stories then they just stop the series dead to do a very long bad interview.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

So far it's been all construction and urban stuff, but Well There's Your Problem is a good new disaster podcast by good Youtube guy Donoteat and good twitter lady aliceavizandum

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Macaroni Surprise posted:

I've been looking to get a podcast going with one or two comedians, and I've been going around to open mics and pitching people my idea. Any advice for other ways I could find people to work with?

Have you asked your mutuals on twitter?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It is insane that Paula Poundstone still has a career

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

sexpig by night posted:

Didn't her sex creep stuff turn out to be not true, or was that another person around that time?

Unless you mean, like, quality wise, in which case yea same

It's true that she was never convicted of sexually abusing her kids. So she's got that going for her

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

sexpig by night posted:

was she just a normal abuser then? I forget who from that era was a creep and who was just a horrible person.

According to the Wikipedia

In October 2001, Poundstone was charged with felony child endangerment in connection with driving while intoxicated with children in the car. She was also charged with three counts of lewd acts upon a girl younger than 14.[11] She changed her earlier plea of not guilty, and, in exchange, prosecutors dropped three counts of committing lewd acts against a child and added a misdemeanor count of inflicting injury upon a child.[11][12] Poundstone also pleaded no contest to one count of felony child endangerment.[12] She was sentenced to probation and six months in rehabilitation and ordered to perform 200 hours of community service.[12] In 2002, Poundstone talked about her personal responsibility for the events that led to her arrest and the steps she has taken, including a six-month treatment program for alcoholism, but said that she did not commit any lewd acts or child abuse.[12]

Poundstone is asexual[13] and an atheist.[14][15]

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The 100th episode of Our Fake History is another piece of evidence that not every podcast should do live episodes

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

feedmyleg posted:

Live episodes of comedy podcasts are usually alright, as long as they're used sparingly. They can be a nice break from the norm and the timing shifts interestingly in front of a live audience—some of the Earwolf ones and No Such Thing as a Fish spring to mind. When I saw the Our Fake History episode pop up in my feed I archived it immediately, though. A shame because it's a great podcast, but it sounds like a very poor way to spend an hour of my time.

the really annoying thing about the episode was that there was an actually pretty decent interview with a lady who had written a book about an interesting subject. That could have been a good episode if they had done it in the studio. Instead of live on stage where the host sounded like he was soaked with sweat

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Are there any good podcatsa about the American Civil War?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

WEH posted:

Apropos of nothing but Mysterious Universe has officially jumped the shark by giving the nut job behind Plandemic a platform in their latest free ep

I watched that video, and I get how "it's all a conspiracy by bad people" is a persuasive argument, but I don't understand how people can stay onboard with her whole deal after she has explained that they closed the beaches because seawater has healing properties and they're making everyone wear masks because wearing a mask reactivates dormant flu cells inside your body.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Seeking podcasts that have rowdy energy. Podcasts i connect with are things like chapo, the dollop, ltpol. Not sure of content I am looking for. Should be conversational but I'd also like an informational component I can talk to others about. History or science or something, probably not politics and definately not more magick, aliens, or cults. And probably not movies or video games. Seeking something i can play while doing my remote job to use as an other people talking simulator but i can come away with with something to talk to people about.

and though I actually like a degree of worldly cynicism... need it to not to be super depressing right now. I keep going into funks of being unable to do much after work for days at a time.

Sorry this is vague. Seeking vibe more than topic. Tried episode one for a few episodes but seems I'm not into something that random.

My Favorite Murder could be just what you're looking for. Even though it's a true crime podcast they're remarkably good about keeping an upbeat energy without being disrespectful to the people they're talking about.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Bugle is still going on? I used to listen to it but I thought they stopped when the one guy got a real job

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ImpAtom posted:

Can anyone recommend some particular funny podcasts. Like humor based or just genuinely funny people discussing things. I've enjoyed stuff like We Hate Movies but would like to branch out. D&D podcasts preferably excluded since I am super burned out on those.

What A Time To Be Alive can be pretty good. It's three comedians talking about the five strangest or funniest news stories in the past week. They stay away from politics or situations where people died, unless it's very funny.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

mike12345 posted:

We should start thinking about offsites and discords, before this ship goes under (check gbs)

There's already a pretty big offsite people are moving to, and like a billion discords. Every thread with more than five active posters is making a discord

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I wish they put more clips of WATTBA on Youtube, because their bit about the Mr. Bean cruise is hilarious and I want to be able to post it .

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/granitelefty/status/1287847379287396355?s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I listened to a couple episodes and gave it up because he had this constant super dramatic delivery that got tiring

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is there a role playing podcast where the players are inexperienced and/or drunk enough that they will make weird or obviously bad choices, but aren't intentionally being wacky monkey dishwasher types? Basically I want something like the D&D segments from Harmontown. I really liked those and when they ended I tried listening to one of the big RPG podcasts at the time, I forget which it was, but all the players were clearly experienced RPG players and were very efficient quick on the uptake. Which I found very boring

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is S-Town season 2 actually about anything? I tried S-Town season 1 and at first it was all like, "oh wow we're gonna unravel a tangled web of crime deep in the heart of this small town" but then turned out to just be a character study of a weird lovely dude.

edit: whoops nevermind

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 2, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Snowy posted:

There’s a season 2? The first one is one of the best podcasts I’ve ever heard, I have no idea what they’d follow it up with.

I misread Quotey's post

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Imagined posted:

What are some more good podcasts with self-contained, non-serial episodes? I don't like true crime, politics or anything else that reminds me of how poo poo humans are right now. I do like non-fiction and history. But I only listen to podcasts occasionally so I always want ones I can just drop into after missing ten episodes. To make it extra difficult, I do prefer podcasts where they're talking about *something*, not just "here's some funny people in a room being funny".

Current favorites:
Answer Me This
Car Talk reruns
The Crate and Crowbar
The Flop House
How Did This Get Made
MBMBaM
I Don't Even Own a Television
The Bugle
99% Invisible
Hardcore History (episodes so far apart they're exceptions to the non-serial rule)

E1. The gimmick is that every episode is the first and only episode of a different podcast. It is three funny guys in a room being funny, but it's like, this week they're all flat earth researchers arguing about what's on the other side, or three monkeys recording a podcast about being monkeys on an iPhone that someone dropped into their enclosure, or three Joe Bidens telling dueling rambling stories about how America used to be.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's weird to hear a lefty politics podcast that isn't enmeshed in stupid Twitter discourse or shitposting.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CelestialScribe posted:

NPR / Public radio shows do this so much. This American Life is super guilty.

“UFOs. What are they? Where do they come from? Are we alone in the universe? For years scientists have been trying to figure out what the source of these craft are. Could it be Russia? The military? The answers have grave questions for us all.

And after all, isn’t living with someone a little like an alien? In today’s show about the difficulty of marriage...”

Oh man, that one episode where the first like 40 minutes is the story of Nauru. This one tiny horrible little island nation that has been caught up in a nexus of politics and economics and environmental degradation for its entire short, pathetic history.

And then the last ten minutes is a story about a guy whose mom got put on hold for several hours. In a way, she was just as lost as the people of Nauru.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I feel like this is gonna be something that even people who aren't fans of Chapo Trap House should get on. HW Bush was a super central figure in 20th Century America and most people just think of him as Dana Carvey from SNL

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1327026975781871620?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

No RPG podcast I've tried has ever managed to measure up to the Harmontown D&D segments. I just want an RPG podcast where a skilled DM gently guides a group of talented improv comedians who are too drunk to remember what they did the previous session and keep bringing their relationship issues into the game through an adventure.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a podcast that is a scripted horror and/or sci-fi story?

I'm getting burned out on history and DnD shows.

Several episodes of E1 qualify. I'd recommend episode 117 - The Cash Kia. It starts off as just a comedy about an unpleasant Uber ride but slowly morphs into sci-fi horror as it goes along

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Azathoth posted:

I really enjoyed the first season, haven't tried anything beyond that and it's definitely worth a listen. It's a really interesting deep dive into a child's disappearance and I think it does an amazing job of capturing the maddening uncertainty of how the family feels and how there can be a lot of seemingly promising or oddly coincidental leads that either don't pan out or are incredibly unlikely though not impossible.

I guess I'll spoil this, but it's not really a spoiler: it's almost certain that the poor kid just drowned and some quirk of lake topography or currents trapped the body and it's just never surfaced and divers never found it. Only way it isn't is if there's something drastically off about the timeline or someone is lying to cover something up, which just seems highly improbable.

But that is where the show is just such masterful storytelling. Like, you know what's in the spoiler going in or are presented it really early, but there's just enough weirdness with other leads that you can see how any family of a missing child can end up holding on to this impossible hope that their child is still alive.

It's really well done and anyone with even a passing interest in true crime should give it a listen.

I found it super boring. But I also hated S-Town, which pitched itself as an investigation into small town crime and corruption but was just about a weird guy, and people liked that so ymmv.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That would be great, but if Michael Ian Black is resurrecting one of his dead podcasts I'd prefer Topics.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tampa Bae posted:

I'm looking for podcasts like This American Life, Darknet Diaries, and Underunderstood. No particular subject, just slice of life style podcasts, internet mystery, and investigative.

I've already burned through Reply All's catalogue, and I tried Hidden Brain which was really interesting but leaned more into white noise that made me a little drowsy.

I'm not super interested in in depth modern politics podcasts about the USA, but I'm open to learn about other countries and cultures. I think I've listened to most of the top episodes of the first three podcasts I mentioned too, but there's still hundreds of episodes in that backlog so I'll take specific episodes of those too.

E1

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

TV Zombie posted:

I think the only thing that I miss about the ios podcast app is that all the podcasts seems to ask "Rate and Review us" and that's not really possible on overcast.

none of the podcasts I regularly listen to ask the audience to rate and review them. Listen to less needy podcasts.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Podcast event of the year is coming

https://twitter.com/E1podcast/status/1449805003250614278?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's here!

https://twitter.com/E1podcast/status/1451314944771772421?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Chas McGill posted:

Any recs for podcasts in the nerd talks at length about a single large subject genre? I'm already listening to History of Egypt, Tides of History, and History of English and I like how they're basically all information and there's just one host.

It doesn't have to be history.

I'm trying Secret History of Western Esoterism as well, but it might be too esoteric for me. Plus the interviews in the early episodes have terrible audio quality.

Revolutions and History of Rome would be my go-to suggestions.
Ghost Stories for the End of the World is quite good too. All the episodes are about CIA shenanigans or things people believe might be CIA shenanigans.
Hardcore History is another option but some people don't care for the host's methods and the massively long gaps between episodes are annoying.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ghost Stories for the End of the World would probably be up your alley. It's about conspiracy theories but ones you probably haven't heard of, like the murder of Aldo Moro or Charles Manson's connections to MKULTRA.

The host is British and I can't tell the difference between all their regional accents so I don't know if he's a nerd, but the show does have a very spooky vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh , another one I just thought of, Blowback. It's fantastic, and is simultaneously about conspiracies and true crime. Two seasons are already out and they just announced a third is on the way