Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I thought I might as well start the ball rolling on this. Please try and put a little effort into both request and recommendations. This isn't PYF.

I have two requests:

Can anyone recommend anything along the lines of Hardcore History? I'm thinking in terms of tone rather than subject matter it doesn't have to be history specifically. Something that makes me feel like I've learnt something and won't cause me to fall asleep behind the wheel.

and

Is anyone listening to Mohr Stories? I listened to the first one and was on the fence. I really like the behind the scenes stuff with regards to working actors and comedians, or anything in the entertainment industry actually, but found Mohr to be pretty annoying. Anyone have any opinions of it as an ongoing show? Alternatively anything else along these lines I should be checking out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Sankis posted:

It looks like the author also has another history podcast called Norman Centuries but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

This is definitely in my wheelhouse so I'll check it out. Thanks.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I really liked the ABC's of SNL. For all his faults one thing I think Kevin Smith is really good at is getting other people talking and getting good stories out of them. I hope we see (hear) more of these.

ClydeUmney posted:

Have you listened to The Tobolowsky Files? It's stories about movies and life told by Stephen Tobolowsky, who's probably most famous as Ned Ryerson from Groundhog Day.

I've heard of it but never listened. I'll check it out. Thanks for all the recommendations so far... too many podcasts too little time :(

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
While the forum remains pretty small I thought I'd expand this thread to include general podcast/radio chat that doesn't fit in other threads as well. If it becomes necessary we can split it out into seperate threads in the future. But it probably won't.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Groucho Marxist posted:

I'm sure you're aware of it, but if you aren't for some reason, WTF with Marc Maron is right up your alley

I had not and it sounds like it is. I'll add it to the list of podcasts I need to check out which, thanks to this forum is now and even dozen or so.... and it's not like I had enough to keep up to date on the ones I'm listening too now (complaining about free entertainment itt).

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I'm listening to a lot of new stuff because of this forum, Makes me wonder if we should have a seperate thread where people just make a quick post about the latest thing they listened to and what they thought. Kind of like "What Did You Just Finish?" in The Book Barn.

I guess I'll just keep it here for now.

Tobolowsky Files: Seemed a bit dry and slow at first but then I realised it's because I'm so used to listening to manic comedy. By the end it was more like a one man This American Life. I think I might listen to more of this. I always like stuff from "working" actors. People who act for a living rather and are not stars or anything.

Nerdist: Gave up after ten minutes. Didn't like the host or the tone. Just not my thing. May give it another shot some time.

The Bugle: Pretty funny so far. Only listened to a quarter an hour or so will definitely be listening to more.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
For those of you looking for brainfood you might want to check out In Our Time the podcast of the legendary Melvyn Bragg's Radio 4 show.

It's a show about the "history of ideas" with each episode being about a different subject and covering a diverse range of topics broadly catagorised as history, science, culture, religion and philosophy. It's usually Bragg and a couple of guests who are experts on the topic. Only the last couple of shows are available at any time on the main feed, but there are also archive feeds in each of the different subject areas with older shows.

It can be quite dry and for me it's one of those shows I'll only really listen to when it's a topic that interests me. But when it does crossover into an area of interest it's definitely worth a listen.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

dik-dik posted:

I want more things similar to This American Life. Especially ones where they use radiojournalistic techniques (e.g. intersplicing narration and quotes) to tell stories about regular people, or just stories of weird things that don't normally make it to the news.

E: really, if it reminds of of TAL at all, let me know. I need more TAL.

It's been mentioned a couple of times but you could do worse than checking out the The Tobolowsky Files. At first I wasn't that into it and thought it was a bit dry and dull, but then I realised that was probably because I was expected a "celebrity anecdote" type podcast. And while it kind of is, it's got more of a thoughtful introspective tone that reminded me a little of stuff like This American Life. Once that clicked I enjoyed it a lot more.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I enjoyed Kevin Smith's Buckaroo Banzai panel. Peter Weller and John Lithgow who were both pretty cool. It's under the Smoviola banner at SIR.

I know Kevin Smith has a hell of a lot of haters here to the point that his CineD thread puts him in similar territory to Tim Buckley and George RR Martin. But I actually like his stuff when he's not just talking about himself which is, unfortunately pretty rare. When he's hosting panels or has guests I tend to enjoy his podcasts. So stuff like Smoviola, ABC of SNL and even some Per Diem's with good guests (and I usually skip every thing until the guest arrives).

Given how big it's getting it's kind of suprising there isn't a SIR thread yet. But maybe no one is brave enough to make one.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

spouse posted:

Mostly because Kevin Smith isn't constantly talking.

This goes for most of his podcasts. I actually really like him as an interviewer/presenter. The SNL stuff is really good, most of the movie round tables. When he has an interesting guest on his morning show I'll download that and will just fast forward to when the guest shows up. For all his faults he is really good at getting other people getting them relaxed enough to open up and talk pretty candidly about stuff.

I'll check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
A couple of people have suggested threads before, I don't know if anyone made one. I think part of the problem is this forum isn't that high traffic to begin with and a lot of people probably stick to the megathreads for specific shows so it might just sink without a trace. Part of the problem is that it could also exist in the A/V Arena, Creative Convention or DIY and Hobbies. Again relatively low traffic forums.

I'm happy to have that kind of thread here though if you want togive it another shot.