Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hey. So I've used the native apple podcast for ages now without issue despite it not being all that good but it was serviceable enough for me since I didn't expect much out of it.

I've an iphone 4 and it's stuck on update 7.1.2 and I cannot at all get it to download things any more (though I can still stream at least). I don't want a solution for it but rather a good podcast app to replace it. I've looked at Overcast but I need iOS 9 to get it. Anyone know of anything I could actually download with my old technology? It doesn't even have to be free I can spare a few bucks if I have to.

I thought that if you went to the App Store on your iPhone4 it would let you download an old version of Overcast.
Been a while since I did that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Reply All is pretty good, especially in its production values, but some of the episodes seem to be "generic NPR sob story" and not "a show about the internet".

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Overcast is the best for audio quality and effects, but it does have some limitations.

I use it and it suits my needs.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'm guessing most podcast apps don't really handle soundcloud, right?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Overcast won't add it at all, which is weird since the RSS feed is actually a valid podcast XML format.

But yeah, it has no episodes in it.

code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><rss xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/A$
  <channel>
    <atom:link href="http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:2845589$
    <title>Murder the Internet</title>
    <link>[url]http://soundcloud.com/murder-the-internet[/url]</link>
    <pubDate>Sun, 09 Jul 2017 00:01:09 +0000</pubDate>
    <lastBuildDate>Sun, 09 Jul 2017 00:01:09 +0000</lastBuildDate>
    <ttl>60</ttl>
    <language>en</language>
    <copyright>All rights reserved</copyright>
    <webMaster>feeds@soundcloud.com (SoundCloud Feeds)</webMaster>
    <description>It's all bad</description>
    <itunes:subtitle>It's all bad</itunes:subtitle>
    <itunes:owner>
      <itunes:name>Murder the Internet</itunes:name>
      <itunes:email>lowtax@somethingawful.com</itunes:email>
    </itunes:owner>
    <itunes:author>Murder the Internet</itunes:author>
    <itunes:explicit>no</itunes:explicit>
    <itunes:image href="http://i1.sndcdn.com/avatars-000292084897-1nuba3-origin$
    <image>
      <url>[url]http://i1.sndcdn.com/avatars-000292084897-1nuba3-original.png[/url]</url>
      <title>Murder the Internet</title>
      <link>[url]http://soundcloud.com/murder-the-internet[/url]</link>
    </image>
    <itunes:category text="Comedy"/>
  </channel>
</rss>

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

a kitten posted:

I'm just gonna throw this out here.

I'm not particularly into sports, never have been, but I love a good story and I love learning things. So, it turns out that ESPN's 30 for 30 is now making podcasts too and they're really good so far!

Thanks for this. Listened to the first one and it's pretty good.

Production quality is not the best, but what is?
Research effort/etc. is pretty high level for a podcast.
And it doesn't have ads (so far.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Thanks for the heads up.
It's available on Overcast as well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Stuff You Missed in History Class is 2 women chatting about vaguely interesting historical figures and moments.

http://www.missedinhistory.com

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Hey, Al, you want to help me out with this live read?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

That sounded like a good idea for a podcast but I just downloaded it and oh god, the audio quality.
They should probably delete episode #1 from their feed and just make it a bonus for fans or something.

But then I got to episode #2 and it's not great. The levels are really bad and the hosts aren't speaking clearly. They also seem to spend a lot of time shooting the poo poo, which is fine, but not great for grabbing a new listener.

If someone can recommend a particular episode to try I'll give it another shot.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Every show's early eps are poo poo, check the recent ones to see.

Sure, but most early episodes are just average or poo poo by comparison rather than actual recorded-with-internal-microphone-poo poo.
(I get not wanting to bother re-recording 80 minutes of audio for a hobby that you make no money on, but don't make that the first thing a prospective new listener will hear!)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

To save anyone worry, if you can't find it, it's because Canceled only has one L in the podcast title.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'm going to put in a thumbs-down and say it's overproduced.
Also, I find it hard to believe that the phone companies don't do anything about fraudulent charges. In my experience they are well aware of these things, and are perfectly happy to reverse charges to pay-per-minute numbers.

I'll give it another episode or two, but does it ever go into actual investigation or anything? As opposed to finding an article on wired.com and reading it out loud with sound effects and music by The Mysterious Breakmaster Cylinder?

But thank you for the recommendation anyway!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

B33rChiller posted:

I found a new podcast I've really been enjoying. https://darknetdiaries.com Every episode is a different story about computer security/hacks/leaks/pen testing, etc. I found it to be a lot like the stories in Kevin Mitnick's books. I'm not super computer savvy myself, so this might be quite basic for those in the know, but it's approachable for the regular Joe. I find the show quite entertaining and informative. The host just recently quit his day job to pursue this full time. I'm guessing he could use more listeners, so why not check it out?

~Coxy posted:

I'm going to put in a thumbs-down and say it's overproduced.
Also, I find it hard to believe that the phone companies don't do anything about fraudulent charges. In my experience they are well aware of these things, and are perfectly happy to reverse charges to pay-per-minute numbers.

I'll give it another episode or two, but does it ever go into actual investigation or anything? As opposed to finding an article on wired.com and reading it out loud with sound effects and music by The Mysterious Breakmaster Cylinder?

But thank you for the recommendation anyway!

B33rChiller posted:

I seem to remember at least one episode that tells some stories from the perspective of the people investigating, and stopping an intrusion. But, mostly it's just telling stories. I understand if the show's not for you. I honestly have no idea how much may or may not be BS, as I have zero experience in any of these fields. Maybe that's why I dig it?

I reverse my thumbs down.
The first couple of episodes were guy with bad speaking voice reads article from wired.

But after that, he's started to do interviews and compiled clips, and is reporting stories that I haven't seen anywhere else.

It's still overproduced though. But that's OK.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Imagined posted:

I like when a podcast tries to lend its popularity to a new podcast by subbing one of the new podcast's episodes into the popular podcast's feed. 99% Invisible does this all the time and so far I've never ended up subscribing to any of the shows they've promoted this way.

I find repeats quite annoying.
I get why they do them, but as someone who listens to the back catalogue if I enjoy a show, I don't like them.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

TV Zombie posted:

Dissect will spend a season dissecting an album by devoting a podcast to each track on an album and analyzing it.

To save anyone else googling it:
S3: Blonde by Frank Ocean
S2: MBDTF by Kanye West
S1: To Pimp a Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Snowy posted:

Speaking of Harry Potter, are there any good podcast meltdowns about the wizards making GBS threads in their robes debacle?

Reply All #134

It's not that good a podcast in general though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I can't see them going Spotify-exclusive because there's still too much of the market lost by doing that.
Could be wrong though...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Tias posted:

General podcast question:

I have an mp3 player I prefer to use for music and podcasts. Most podcasts offer their episodes as mp3-downloads, which should mean I'm on easy street. However, 4 out of 5 podcasts are much too low to understand if I'm in anywhere but nearly completely quiet surroundings, and don't get me started on live recordings with room/crowd noise. I think BBCs podcasts are the only ones recorded loudly enough for me to listen to outside.

Is there something I can do? I considered springing for new earphones, but I'm a dirty poor and would be disappointed if it didn't help.

Most podcast authors do not master their audio correctly therefore/because the podcast playing programs take care of that.

When hacking mp3 files into a music player, iTunes has an amplification setting per-file and a Spoken Word equalizer setting.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

The Xbox Underground episode of Darknet Diaries is loving amazing. Along with that I've been listening to Confronting OJ and I've highly enjoyed that podcast as well. I was 13 when the trial happened and I don't really remember much about it other than my Grandmother being super obsessed with it, watching it daily, and when she came and stayed with us for 2 weeks refused to take my sister and I anywhere during the day when the trail was on.

I'm sure it's also been recommended here but just want to reiterate how awesome the last 7 episodes of Behind the Bastards has been.

I live in Perth and I'm pretty sure some intern at our Sunday newspaper just listened to the episode because it was basically transcribed into a full-tabloid-page article.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Some of them even rerun episodes in their entirety without a bumper beforehand so I hope you read the show notes!

I suppose I kind of understand that because there's got to be a lot of people that either
A) subscribe and don't start from the start or download the whole catalogue
B) only have a couple of podcasts and prefer seeing an old episode come up again than nothing

The weirdest one has to be Carolla shows. Even if you love the guy I can't imagine why you'd want to re-listen to an old ep.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Azathoth posted:

I totally get how being there is a cool experience, but I've yet to hear a recorded one that wasn't basically "what if we did our normal podcast but with lovely sound quality and a ton more interruptions?"

Let's take questions from the crowd, and while we do have a mic hooked up to the room PA, we won't actually be recording any of that audio.
No, we won't repeat the question for the listener at home.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

rotinaj posted:

I am personally bummed about Reveal falling from grace, because I was a big fan of it a few years ago. But they kept replaying old stories without any kind of update, just to have something to put out on a weekly basis. I get that journalism takes time to be done right, but in that case, do something else. Interview reporters for their life stories, tell interesting things that happened or that you found while researching a bigger story, or just don’t be tied to it being weekly. Reply All isn’t weekly and is much stronger for it, though I loving hate one of the hosts on it and wish that he would gently caress off forever.

Reply All does actually re-play old episodes though, and also they tend to put out episodes that are really just other podcasts that they're on the same network with.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Warbird posted:

I don't know if this is the proper place to ask, but I figure one of you ought to know.

I'm trying to find a method to add a podcast hosted on archive.org to my podcast client (Overcast). It's an older show and doesn't appear to be listed on any of the modern platforms, so I need to add it manually via RSS. I think I can get the RSS needed via archive.org's advanced search function but haven't been able to do so thus far. Has anyone more familiar with the platform than myself done something like this before?

I find it odd that archive.org hosts podcasts but doesn't provide any RSS, so it must exist somehow...

But anyway, you can view source of the page and get all the URLs to the audio files and their names e.g.

code:
<div itemprop="hasPart" itemscope="" itemtype="http://schema.org/AudioObject">
        <meta itemprop="name" content="This Year #S6: Sampler 2013">
        <meta itemprop="duration" content="PT0M25660S">

<link itemprop="associatedMedia" href="https://archive.org/download/this-year-collection/thisyearS06_sampler2013_96kbps.ogg">
                  <link itemprop="associatedMedia" href="https://archive.org/download/this-year-collection/thisyearS06_sampler2013_96kbps.mp3">
              </div>
Then just put together a XML podcast file and host it somewhere temporarily.

code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<rss version="2.0">
  <channel>
    <link>http://whatever.com/podcasts/</link>
    <title>This Year Collection</title>
    <description>this is my nice description</description>
    <item>
      <title>This Year #S6: Sampler 2013</title>
      <description>foo</description>
      <pubDate>Tue, 27 Apr 2004 00:00:00 +08:00</pubDate>
      <enclosure url="https://archive.org/download/this-year-collection/thisyearS06_sampler2013_96kbps.mp3" />
      <guid>https://archive.org/download/this-year-collection/thisyearS06_sampler2013_96kbps.mp3</guid>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>...</title>
      <description>...</description>
      <pubDate>...</pubDate>
      <enclosure url="..." />
      <guid>...</guid>
    </item>
  </channel>
</rss>

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Can't wait for podcast piracy to really take off.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I don't know why Skype hasn't added a mode where all the participants automatically record their audio stream on their end and then sync it to the cloud later. They could even make it cost money.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Reply All should go back to being about weird internet ephemera like it was in 2015.
These days (and rarely) Yes Yes No is the only segment that's actually "about the internet".

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yeah Super Tech Support was often great too.

I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with RA, but I guess I will also give them props for flying to India to meet the call center scammers.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I don't have anything to suggest in your particular categories, but since you seem to be interested in trying out new podcasts I thought I would endorse my favourites.

Art of the Score is a podcast that dissects movie scores. The movies they choose are pretty normie, but the hosts are at least experts rather than being wikipedia nerds. It rarely updates but has a back catalog of 33x 90-120 minute episodes.
Omega Tau is a dry german who interviews real experts on science/engineering/aviation topics. Huge back catalog with episodes varying between completely uninteresting to fascinating.
Darknet Diaries is a show with an seemingly unfortunate name but ended up being quite an interesting hacker and infosec podcast.
Strong Songs is a podcast that dissects pop and jazz songs. The host does good enough a job that I listen to episodes about songs I don't enjoy, although I will admit having had to skip about 3 or 4 entirely.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm looking for more podcasts which are hosted by, or interview, people who are experts in their field, taking about their field.

Omega Tau is a dry german who interviews real experts on science/engineering/aviation topics. Huge back catalog with episodes varying between completely uninteresting to fascinating.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Seconding Overcast, it can handle a large backlog fine.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Also consider Strong Songs and Art of the Score.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I still have Reply All on my podcast app but I won't really miss it.
The feed has probably had more repeats and ad episodes in it than real new episodes for a long time now.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Podcaster Shall Off Me?!?
I knew those guys were up to no good.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yeah Omega Tau is free and has a shitload of content, even if you skipped the aerospace ones.

You have to find the archive RSS feed and add it as a separate "podcast" to listen to the older stuff.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I only get three results, the first one is both DE and EN episodes in a single feed, then there's a German Only feed and a English Only feed.
If I tap into the English only feed I can see the latest EN episode #387, then #385, #383, etc.
:shrug:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Weird, the archive feed doesn't show up as a search result in Overcast, I had to add it manually, and it starts at ep #004.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Consider Omnibus as well, the episodes may look longer than you like but that includes the long boring outtro (and ad read in the middle.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Is anyone else sad because all their old podcasts are dying?

James Bond Radio wrapped up for personal reasons.
Art of the Score no episodes for a long time now.
Reply All imploded.
Omega Tau guy can't seem to get guests and isn't feeling it anymore besides.
Omnibus down to once a week.

I wonder if we're going into a general lull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Podcasts about the German language or merely recorded in German?

Check out an episode listing for Omega Tau, science & engineering, you'll be able to tell pretty quick whether it'll be something you'll be interested in.