Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just listened to all of Out of the Past, a film noir podcast, and loved it. I love the subject matter, but I think what I loved even more was the tone: academic, educational, not trying to be funny, but with lots of interesting pieces of information.

I also loved that it was just two guys talking about the subject, and I think after Radiolab and this I realize I like that dynamic most for a podcast.

Specifically I want to know if there are any other good film podcasts out there that are more about film analysis than current film news/reviews, and approach the subject academically. Bonus points for anything that's about b-movies, film noir, or film history (i.e. unproduced screenplays, alternate versions of films, etc), too.

e: Or just any podcasts that strike that tone about an interesting subject.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

How are u posted:

I don't know how many people here might listen to it, but The History of Rome podcast will soon be ending after a truly excellent 5 years. If you have even a passing interest in history or Rome or just enjoy hearing a soothing voice then you cannot go wrong with this one. I've learned so much about Rome and western history its not even funny.

Does anybody have any other history podcasts to recommend? I'm going to need a new fix.

e: The History of Rome is going to end with something like 170+ twenty minute episodes, so don't be afraid that you'll fall in love only to lose it fast. There's an awful lot of listening to be done.

e2: people were mentioning it on the first page. Sad day :(

This China History Podcast isn't too bad, but it's not nearly as exhaustive as History of Rome and jumps around in time a lot. Also if you haven't listened to Hardcore History then stop whatever you're doing and do so now. The recent Death Throes of the Republic series is amazing. I hope others know of more, because I'd love to hear them. Definitely my favorite type of podcasts.

e: Also, not a podcast but this lecture would be a great listen before going into any history podcast or lecture, but especially History of Rome or Death Throes. Really made me rethink most of what I've heard in those two.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 2, 2012

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jay Dub posted:

I've thought about making a catch-all Dan Carlin thread for HH and Common Sense (does anyone here listen to Common Sense?), but after my last thread attempt sank like a stone I've been kind of wary.

I think a general Historical/Informative Podcast catchall thread could work really well and help people find non-comedy special interest podcasts.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Helical Nightmares posted:

'12 byzantine rulers' by Lars Brownworth and 'Norman Centuries' are both excellent.

For a good tech podcast from the security/hacking/wikileaks/Anonymous angle Risky Buisness is great.

What about any other history podcasts, outside of this, Hardcore History, The History of Rome, and The China History Podcast?

Is there a good one on Ancient Greece? Or Japan? Or European imperialism/trade/Age of Discovery? Or, really, I'd be into anything extensive and interesting enough.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

James Urbaniak of The Venture Bros. fame has recently begun a podcast, entitled Getting On with James Urbaniak, and I must find more like it. Anyone have recommendations for eclectic readings in a similarly subdued yet suave voice?

The Paul F Thompkins is sort of similar.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there anything else out there like Stuff You Missed in History Class? I tried Stuff You Should Know but I can't handle the boring, droning hosts. I just blazed through Stuff You Missed after getting over my aversion to short-format podcasts, so, outside of History of the World in 100 Objects, if it's short I probably haven't heard of it. I also wouldn't mind a longer format show like In Our Time, but I've finished that recently as well and I listened to all of Hardcore History ages ago.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 7, 2012

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looking for movie podcasts that are exclusively about older films and not new releases, and wouldn't mind if they specialize around genre/cult/etc. Ideally they are slightly more in-depth and academically focused rather than comedic or banter-y. Really liked The Hollywood Gauntlet's interesting subject matter coupled with their in-depth knowledge of the subjects (Raiders Story Conference, Summer of 82, What Happened to Star Wars, looking back at Ebert and Siskel's Future of the Movies) but something like Wam Bam Pow is way too light and fluffy and I'm not really into "bad movie" podcasts.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 24, 2014

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Eeevil posted:

Are there any good weekly podcasts that update on Saturday or Sunday? I don't really like interview shows all that much, but other than that the subject matter isn't that important as long as it's entertaining.

I enjoy the goofiness of Improvised Star Trek, which is Sundays.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FutureFriend posted:

Are there any good podcasts about some people discussing and joking about a piece of bad media. I've been listening to I Don't Even Own A Television, and I'm looking for something in the vein of that, just a group of people laughing and discussing what they just saw/read/watched/played.

The Worst Idea of All Time Podcast. They watch and review Grown Ups 2 every week for a year.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Same question for non-shticky, non humorous movie podcasts - but for not current films? Could be B-movies, bad movies, forgotten gems, great movies, or film history in general - just not about films in theaters now. Think The Hollywood Gauntlet.

e: or perhaps Maltin on Movies or The Canon, but I'd prefer something that's not just straight-up reviews. The Canon only really did it for me when it did the Star Wars vs. Empire Strikes Back and E.T. vs. Close Encounters.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 13, 2015

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ernie. posted:

Are there any podcasts about hard biology/sciences?

I don't want a podcast that dumbs it down and looks at the ethical implications etc.

I mean a podcast that reviews published papers given their presented results and debates them etc. Ideally the type of show that would have covered the STAP cells of yesteryear and yet also commented on the bad reviewer comments about women from recently (last month?).

I don't know about that, but Omega Tau is the only one that comes to mind.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Trying to get more politically active after we flipped over into living in a particularly scary Black Mirror episode earlier this month. Really been digging Keepin' It 1600, wondering if there's something similar: educated, smart, collected progressives who don't get angry and yell and ideally have actual connections to politics rather than being purely armchair internet pundits. And not so dry that I feel like I'm listening to NPR.

Saw the list earlier but it's really hard to sift through for what I'm looking for without a bit of guidance. Unlike the above poster I don't mind some smug liberalism as long as they're not just Some Guy from The Internet.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 29, 2016

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Are there any other podcasts like Mystery Show that are actually decent? Short, engaging, slice-of-life human interest piece sort of stuff. I just tried Heavyweight and it almost feels like a parody of Mystery Show. Could've just been the handful of episodes I listened to that might not be indicative of the general quality of the show, but it was self-important, unnecessarily ponderous, and ultimately unsatisfying in its conclusions.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Splicer posted:

Any good podcasts that deep dive into conspiracy theories that aren't true believers or "hurr dee hurr they so dumb"? I'm basically looking for 3+ people discussing modern (and not so modern) conspiracy theories like academics would discuss Greek myths.

If there are then I haven't found them. Astonishing Legends is as close as I've seen, but they're always err on the side of blind belief, often despite discussing evidence to the contrary. Listening to both them and Skeptoid I feel like I get a well-rounded view of any subject without having to listen to the crazies, but both can be obnoxious.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Azathoth posted:

Cryptonaut podcast covers cryptids, in the same panel style, with about the same level of belief from the hosts.

Man, I'm trying. But this feels so much like The Dollop but with less obnoxious yet less funny hosts. Maybe they'll settle into it over time, or maybe I will, but I was hoping for something less goofy because I love the subject matter.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Blast of Confetti posted:

Are there any good 50's style noire podcasts or podcasts from around that time that are fictional narrative based and not very music heavy? Playing Fallout New Vegas and I'm tired of Big Iron

I mean, just listen to some classic radio dramas. That's exactly what they are.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Live episodes of comedy podcasts are usually alright, as long as they're used sparingly. They can be a nice break from the norm and the timing shifts interestingly in front of a live audience—some of the Earwolf ones and No Such Thing as a Fish spring to mind. When I saw the Our Fake History episode pop up in my feed I archived it immediately, though. A shame because it's a great podcast, but it sounds like a very poor way to spend an hour of my time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have suggestions for narrative/serialized fiction podcasts?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ah, of course there is! Thanks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have a recommendation for a (traditional fantasy setting) tabletop RPG adventure podcast that isn't run by a bunch of obnoxious dweebs? I'd prefer something that leans heavily toward character/storytelling over goofing around, though I'd still enjoy a decent sense of humor.

Not The Adventure Zone—I bounced off that. Every one I've tried before feels like it's focused way more on metagaming and the players cracking jokes with each other than trying to build a compelling narrative together.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just poked into Glass Cannon and it looks just about right, I like that they do video, and I like their variety. Will definitely check out NNADDPod. I gave Critical Role a shot and it wasn't for me, either, but I think I just found the DM a little too performative. Maybe I should give that another shot.

I don't have a problem with silly, per se, I just like when the silliness comes from the gameplay rather than just dorks making jokes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh awesome, thanks! I'll listen to these and poke in there if I feel like I haven't quite found what I'm looking for.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Any good comedic horror podcasts/audio dramas?

Open to Actual Play podcasts, but they often rub me the wrong way. I can easily find a group of friends playing a game to be obnoxious if and when the players get too "cute" or have an "inside joke" dynamic. So that avenue might be trickier.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have an actual-play podcast to recommend that has little to no metagaming? Just focused on immersion in the story, world, and characters?

I love the idea of listening to games unfold, but I have zero interest in hearing a group of friends I don't know goof around with each other in that context.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, what I really want is radio dramas with a full cast, yeah, but there aren't enough of those out there.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

111723_2 posted:

another item to add to the list of things somethingawful lacks: a somethingawful podcast

Doesn't the writing challenge in CC do a podcast? They did for a while at least.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm still shocked that podcast apps haven't disabled the skip button during ads yet. It's going to happen one day because we're not allowed any ad-free spaces in this life anymore, but I'm just surprised we're not already in that particular race to the bottom.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In what way?

Description just sounds like another watchalong podcast with maybe fewer bad jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've always liked PocketCasts. Some of the interface isn't the most intuitive, but overall I dig it