Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

MadScientistWorking posted:

Monster Talk is a fun podcast. Its a podcast that talks about the history of cryptozology and monsters from a skeptical prospective.

This sounds interesting I'm going to have to look into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

Evil Vin posted:

This sounds interesting I'm going to have to look into this.

Enjoying the hell out of Monster Talk, I can't say how many hours of the show I've listened to since last Wednesday. Though it seems to really hinge on the guest to make it a good show.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

ChetReckless posted:

It doesn't fit your needs exactly but you could try Mysterious Universe. It's a couple of Australian guys that go through the latest weird news. I stopped listening because I thought they could be a little bit more skeptical, but if that doesn't bother you you could always try it. The hosts have a good rapport and are fun to listen to.

A example recent episode:

I tried to listen to this last year and just couldn't get into it, if I recall you only get like half of the episode for free. I've recently started listening Stuff They Don't Want You To Know, which is a spin off of the YouTube channel and a part of the how stuff works family. It's a little more :tinfoil: than I like but I do find it entertaining and there's definitely stuff I've never heard before mentioned on it.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

MooCowlian posted:

Fwiw, they do offer (and advertise) a lot more in their extended show, but it's not really half a show. It's still an hour long podcast every week, and they just add more stories on the end, so it's not like they're cutting stuff off halfway through.

Ah I just remember from the twice or so I listened there being something I really wanted to hear but then it cutting off for the non extended podcast and being disappointed. I'll have to give it another try.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

rotinaj posted:

This podcast is really enjoyable, although the hosts aren't quite as intelligent as I'd like for them to be. I've been skipping around the archive of Last Podcast on the Left, and when they bring up something they've already covered, it's pretty typical for them to say wrong facts or draw wrong conclusions from shoddily remembered stuff, although they probably are just operating off memory of something they last read a year or two ago. So, I'm willing to give the hosts of LPotL more of a pass than Sword and Scale, which covers stuff really thoroughly and does really great episodes(Episode 5 and 6 of S&S, on the Johnny Gosch abduction and the secret pedophilia/child sex slavery ring operating in the midwest was FASCINATING, and one of the coolest podcast experiences I've had to date)... Except he gets so preachy and loud about his personal beliefs that the mentally ill need to DIE DIE DIE all the friggin' time. His most recent two episodes on Joseph McEnroe drove me up the wall, because he'd go from talking so much poo poo about the guy and ragging on him for how much he hated his mom, to ragging on the mom and calling her a bad parent! If you're gonna just rag on everyone involved, I just end up not wanting to listen to the episode. And his massive belief that prosecutors are always the coolest, best, smartest, best sempais that he really wishes would just notice him drives me a little crazy.

So, take Sword and Scale with a massive grain of salt. If you subscribe to beliefs against the death penalty, or believe that the police are flawed, you might end up grinding your teeth as the host bangs on about his own personal politics. I wish he'd stay more impartial, but it seems like this stuff either goes massively liberal and comedic focused, or... Well. Otherwise.

Because of this post I listened to that Johnny Gosch episode of Sword and the Scale. Then I attempted to listen to the Last Podcast on the Left. The episode I chose was coincidentally the Johnny Gosch episode. :haw:

I'm liking the Last Podcast on the Left a lot. Been bingeing through it since. Dunno if I'll listen to more Sword and Scale if it's not just audio from the cases.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
I also started listening to Sword and Scale because of this thread. I gave up on it after one of his evil kid episodes. It just wasn't doing anything for me, also the host's constant mentions of it being "your favorite podcast" had driven me crazy. I now listen to The Unresolved Podcast in its place.

PostNouveau posted:

Somebody should do a good Simpsons podcast. There's one called "Everything's Coming Up Podcast" and it seems to be picking up steam, but it's real loving bad and all they do is nonstop repeat jokes. Somebody's gotta start up a decent one before that poo poo one reaches critical mass.

I'm listening to Worst Episode Ever, but that's also a huge piece of poo poo with its constant circlejerks of super lame in-jokes.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Just remember guys, every month the Sword and Scale guy makes almost $22,500 on Patreon.

Evil Vin fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Well you can just plagiarize other people work since apparently that's what he did on the last episode according to Reddit.