Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

GutBomb posted:

I don't see it that way at all. I think perhaps he and Andy are doing it the way they are so the guest hosts don't have to live under the shadow of John Oliver. Like they are giving the new format a chance.

The new Bugle is great, and Andy is definitely making he most of the situation, but we don't know everyone's motivations. You could be right. I'm just frustrated as a fan that we could have 100 more episodes of this excellent format today if John had bowed out gracefully, instead of inexplicably giving Buglers and Andy false hope over and over. He doesn't owe me anything but it's weird that he got in the way of other people who wanted to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You seem to believe that he owes you something.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Also, I sorta doubt that Oliver wanted to string people along. He probably just kept thinking that he could make enough time for the podcast and didn't manage. I'm just glad that the Bugle got a second wind!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

You seem to believe that he owes you something.

Do you have any empathy for Andy? He didn't sound too thrilled apologizing to his fans over two years.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
If you've enjoyed hearing Helen on the podcast, she's got two of her own, which are both worth listening to (although neither of them are political). "Answer Me This" and "The Allusionist" :thumbsup:

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

prefect posted:

If you've enjoyed hearing Helen on the podcast, she's got two of her own, which are both worth listening to (although neither of them are political). "Answer Me This" and "The Allusionist" :thumbsup:

Allusionist is the chillest edutainment podcast in the world, she's great.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I love Nish so much.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
A week or two late, but Andy saying Trump was "like a political Stewart Lee" is the hardest I've laughed at a joke in probably a year.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

https://twitter.com/mrnishkumar/status/839771043279605760
Nish got his own show.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

If you're living in or around London, it's quite easy to see Andy for free - I saw him last week at The Now Show recording, and I'll see him again, by chance, at Matt Forde's Unspun on Tuesday.

Sites like tvrecordings.com and the BBC's https://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/ have them, the only caveat is that they aim to give away more tickets than there are seats (as they're free, to ensure 100% audience), so you need to turn up a good hour or so before hand to be guaranteed a seat. Good news is they'll validate and give you a sticker, and you can go away and come back nearer the time.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Gosh I really wish Nish would laugh more...

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

I have to say I like Andy's sister the best so far. She's hilarious.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tom Ballard and David O'Doherty are both on the new Bugle and Tom has shot to the top of the Bugle co-host rankings.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
Nish was also just on another podcast - Global Pillage (A Radio 4ish Quiz show trying to be more diverse than 1 token minority) hosted by Deborah Francis-White. He was very good.

Doubtful Guest fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 9, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The live Bugle is one of those bugles. Also Tom remains awesome.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I was at the first live Bugle and Alice Fraser was fantastically funny.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Alice Fraser for Bugle regular please.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Alice and Nish are my favorites so far. Alice gives absolutely no fucks.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I'm glad the Bugle is so great. I've been a fan of all the hosts, including these Aussie ones.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

I'm glad the Bugle is so great. I've been a fan of all the hosts, including these Aussie ones.

I saw live show #2, with Wil Anderson & Zoe Coombs. Great show, great guests. Usually Wil comes across too smug for me, but he was on fire, and upstaged Andy to the point of Andy looking nervously over his shoulder while going through the script.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Are Bugle listeners notoriously smelly shitters or is Poo Pourri just chancing their arm?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They're one of those companies who are on every Radiotopia podcast, I think it's podcast law that every ad carrying podcast needs to have ads for Squarespace, a food delivery service, a mattress company, a razor company, a DISRUPTIVE clothing company and Audible because every podcast ad I ever hear is of one of those 6.

Bugle listeners love bullshit though so maybe there's some brand synergy going on.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
i was trying to think back to when I heard a weirder ad on a podcast and then I remembered years ago they were shilling historically accurate replica military helmets.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Y'all don't +15 through every ad in every podcast? drat

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Y'all don't +15 through every ad in every podcast? drat

Just keep smacking that skip button till I hear fanfare

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

njsykora posted:

They're one of those companies who are on every Radiotopia podcast, I think it's podcast law that every ad carrying podcast needs to have ads for Squarespace, a food delivery service, a mattress company, a razor company, a DISRUPTIVE clothing company and Audible because every podcast ad I ever hear is of one of those 6.

this might be covered under clothing for you but monthly delivery artisanal underwear needs its own category imo

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

FrensaGeran posted:

Just keep smacking that skip button till I hear fanfare

Exactly. The only bad thing about listening to some podcasts (Chapo ain't got no ads) while riding my bike is that I can't skip (safely)

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Mr. Squishy posted:

i was trying to think back to when I heard a weirder ad on a podcast and then I remembered years ago they were shilling historically accurate replica military helmets.

That Pepsi Next (or whatever it was called) ad a few years ago was so bad. I have no idea thought that was a good idea.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr. Squishy posted:

If I listened to that ad while drunk, I would seriously consider a pickelhaube. (Those are the WWI German helmets with one spike on top.) :black101:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just watching Mock the Week, Nish "Beware the chocolate Vicar of Dibley" Kumar is killing it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nish is also gonna be on the next series of Taskmaster, which is the best show on TV. Things are happening for the dude, that's what Bugle co-hosting does for your career.

Hosting not so much.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Which Bugle co-host would win in a fight?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

KillerQueen posted:

Which Bugle co-host would win in a fight?

Alice Fraser. She reliably brings the filthiest things to the podcast--who knows what she'd bring to a fight.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Alice really is the best. Her little pun run on the latest episode was fantastic.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
The latest bunch have been great. I wouldn't mind hearing from Wyatt Cenac some time soon again though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you're in the UK, Nish is on the new series of Taskmaster which has its first episode online a week early. He does sports.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Describing the election as "Americans expressing their general preference for Hillary Clinton, but in a geographically inconvenient way" is pretty great line.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

njsykora posted:

If you're in the UK, Nish is on the new series of Taskmaster which has its first episode online a week early. He does sports.

Oh god, this series will be epic. Nish calling a basketball racist...twice.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I've been lucky enough to meet Alice a couple of times after shows and she is such a genuine and hilarious person that it's awesome to see her getting more attention from The Bugle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Alice's pun runs forcing Andy to constantly go bigger will be the next thing to destroy the Bugle and possibly all life on earth.

• Locked thread