Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This confused the living poo poo out of me

I'm sure one of us will change. Eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I've never had a full-proof coconut rum that I thought was worth a poo poo, but Clement's Mahina Coco, an agricole-based coconut liqueur, is fantastic.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
https://www.rumhaven.com/

I really thought I would hate this, but I tasted it as a favor to one of my reps; although coconut water is not my thing, it works well in a lot of mixed drinks. It was also like, $6 a liter at one point on a BOGO and I have a slushy machine, so....

We were doing a fun NOLA-style frozen daiquiri for a while in my more casual bar. Skyy Watermelon (also surprisingly good, bought a case as a favor to my Campari rep,) Rumhaven and fresh lime. Dispense into the glass, tiny sprinkle of flake salt, little slice of watermelon and some fresh mint.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

poop dood posted:

I've never had a full-proof coconut rum that I thought was worth a poo poo, but Clement's Mahina Coco, an agricole-based coconut liqueur, is fantastic.

Does Clement make any bad products? I think I would buy anything from them.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
They really don't! I was just looking at their website out of curiosity and they apparently make a spiced cane syrup flavored with cinnamon, vanilla and clove that I've never seen before. Sounds tight.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

https://www.rumhaven.com/

I really thought I would hate this, but I tasted it as a favor to one of my reps; although coconut water is not my thing, it works well in a lot of mixed drinks. It was also like, $6 a liter at one point on a BOGO and I have a slushy machine, so....

We were doing a fun NOLA-style frozen daiquiri for a while in my more casual bar. Skyy Watermelon (also surprisingly good, bought a case as a favor to my Campari rep,) Rumhaven and fresh lime. Dispense into the glass, tiny sprinkle of flake salt, little slice of watermelon and some fresh mint.

poop dood posted:

Those both sound like good next ones to try out, thanks!

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm sure one of us will change. Eventually.

I've been straight-up too lazy to dig up my old avatar, haha.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Comb Your Beard posted:

Does Clement make any bad products? I think I would buy anything from them.

They make good stuff, if you get a chance to go on the Clement/JM tour it's fantastic. Bonus, a bunch of bottllings that don't come to the US(500/700ml that can't be imported). Also, they're baby brand Damoiseau has a dope over proof unfiltered agricole.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not going to make fun of you if you want to mix coconut rum with Pepsi or whatever. I like trash cocktails too.

A friend gave me the Captain Morgan's Loconut and it makes a drat good Painkiller.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Favorite app, recipe manager, or format for printing recipes? Poking around I like "Highball" for ~minimalism~ but the image editor could use a couple of tweaks.

Cocktail Flow seems to nail UI when it comes to "I have X ingredients, what recipes can I make?" but it's really missing ability to edit, rate, comment, hide.

I'm thinking I'll use the former for printing recipe cards, but still just use ol' faithful google spreadsheet for editing, rating, etc.

Oh, I'm on iOS but I have access to an android tablet, so either environment for your recommendations would be appreciated! No visual FoxPro.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I've been sorely tempted to learn more about databases just to make a cocktail catalog I don't hate.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm going to float the idea to the devs tomorrow at my "how to make cocktails" happy hour I'm prepping. If they don't bite, I'll work with you on yours!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Somewhere floating out there in the ether there is supposedly an excel file created by Michael Madrusan from the Petraske/Milk & Honey days that is the database you would need to create the app you're talking about. I've seen the word version of it and it's massive. But the formatting is a mess, probably from years of being passed around. Using that using it to create an excel file would be a miserably time consuming process... but it exists.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

I've been using Mixel for a little while now, it's seems pretty full featured if you can tolerate the pixel art. I also got all of the in-app purchases as a gift, so I'm not sure of its value if you're paying for them individually. They seem to take most of their recipes from well-regarded sources, you can input custom recipes, track ones you've tried/want to try/favorite, manage inventory, search by ingredient, find a random drink with what you have on hand, have it recommend what to buy next, etc. Probably forgetting some things, but those are what I primarily use it for.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Fart Car '97 posted:

Somewhere floating out there in the ether there is supposedly an excel file created by Michael Madrusan from the Petraske/Milk & Honey days that is the database you would need to create the app you're talking about. I've seen the word version of it and it's massive. But the formatting is a mess, probably from years of being passed around. Using that using it to create an excel file would be a miserably time consuming process... but it exists.

This is from a few pages ago. Not exactly by Madrusan but could probably be a decent starting point.

BrianBoitano posted:

Warning, I am a nerd:

I use a Google sheet some redditor put together with an index of Death & Co recipes. It doesn't come with the actual recipes, just the ingredients and page numbers (avoiding copyright claims) but I add to it.

Making it useful:
  • Sort by ingredient
  • Add new column "available" as column B
  • I put values in "available" as 1 for "I have this all the time", 0.75 for "I'd readily buy it" e.g. grapefruit, 0.5 for "maybe for a special occasion" and 0 for "not my bag / too expensive"
  • Color code - green for "1", light green for "0.75", etc
  • Sort by column A, which puts all the cocktails back together

I add cocktails from other sources as desired at the end of the list.

It takes some effort to get started, but not a ton more than "enter all my poo poo into this app". I also don't expect that those with the best looking app to also happen to have the best taste in recipes.

Now, when I want to make something with lemon juice, I ctrl + F, look for the latest recipe I haven't rated yet and has all green ingredients.

One day I should sit down with this excel file, Alteryx, and Tableau and make something properly useful (but I'll probably just wait for you guys to make an app).

angor fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 31, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone got a go-to bloody mary recipe

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Whichever goon posted their creation the smoking gun a little back, made several this evening and they are delicious. Shouldn't operate the blowtorch drunk though.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Don't really think this deserves snark. For each drink I do 2oz vodka, 4oz tomato juice, half a lemon, two pinches each of celery seed and black pepper, two dashes each of worcestershire and hot sauce, and like half a tablespoon of prepared horseradish. Build it in one glass and pour it back and forth into another glass like 3 times. Garnish with whatever. Super basic but easy to modify with other citrus/liquors/hot sauces/spices.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Hebug posted:

I've been using Mixel for a little while now, it's seems pretty full featured if you can tolerate the pixel art. I also got all of the in-app purchases as a gift, so I'm not sure of its value if you're paying for them individually. They seem to take most of their recipes from well-regarded sources, you can input custom recipes, track ones you've tried/want to try/favorite, manage inventory, search by ingredient, find a random drink with what you have on hand, have it recommend what to buy next, etc. Probably forgetting some things, but those are what I primarily use it for.

I picked this up and bought the full pack and it is unreal. One big thing it does that is probably my favorite feature is it will suggest substitutions based on what you have (you don't have allspice dram, but your Pimm's might work!).

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It's 100% my intention to copy that joy to the world of recipe management, a wasteland full of empty promises

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Critique my rough draft "how do you adjust to taste?" thing:

Like looking at it now, too strong needs to point to acid as well

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Scythe posted:

Don't really think this deserves snark. For each drink I do 2oz vodka, 4oz tomato juice, half a lemon, two pinches each of celery seed and black pepper, two dashes each of worcestershire and hot sauce, and like half a tablespoon of prepared horseradish. Build it in one glass and pour it back and forth into another glass like 3 times. Garnish with whatever. Super basic but easy to modify with other citrus/liquors/hot sauces/spices.

this is good but also put in some clam juice

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
What can you do with these cocktail wise? Are they the same as Sevilles, meaning same as the "orange punch" from the punch list? Skin good for oleo? Just juice?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438778&pagenumber=29&perpage=40#post410756616

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 6, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Comb Your Beard posted:

What can you do with these cocktail wise? Are they the same as Sevilles, meaning same as the "orange punch" from the punch list? Skin good for oleo? Just juice?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438778&pagenumber=29&perpage=40#post410756616

I believe those are just another name for Seville, yes.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
That is another name for bitter or Seville oranges, yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_orange

If you are wanting more info on citrus varietals, I would recommend the book "Citrus" by Pierre Laszlo. You can also browse the archives for "Cooking Issues" or the ICE in New York, or the website for CUESA here in San Francisco.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Favorite bourbon under $100?

e; fav not best. Also didn't realize what thread I was in but it kind of applies here too anyway.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 7, 2019

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
I've been way into Makers 46 lately

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Knob Creek 100 proof

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Buffalo Trace. Knob Creek is good too, but does not go down as easy.

Bulleit is a far third.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Under $100 is an incredibly wide net mate, at that point you're looking at like 95% of all bourbon

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

Under $100 is an incredibly wide net mate, at that point you're looking at like 95% of all bourbon

Yeah, even something like Elijah Craig 12 year is only around $75.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah, even something like Elijah Craig 12 year is only around $75.

Fine, over $50 but under $100.

Most of my shelf bourbon is Maker's, Hudson Baby, Elijah, and Bulleit. Hudson was something I tried and really enjoyed recently, wasn't sure if there might be some other hidden gems people have out there.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I always liked Rowan's creek and some of my buddies are obsessed with the Willett pot still. Rowan's probably comes in at $40ish and pot still is $70ish if you can find it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Nephzinho posted:

Fine, over $50 but under $100.

Most of my shelf bourbon is Maker's, Hudson Baby, Elijah, and Bulleit. Hudson was something I tried and really enjoyed recently, wasn't sure if there might be some other hidden gems people have out there.

drat I realize to each their own but Hudson Baby Bourbon is often considered pretty crap bourbon, regardless of the price.

For bourbons I'm a big fan of Russel's Reserve 10, Belle Meade's Sherry & Madeira Finish, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Most all of the Buffalo Trace expressions (EH Taylor, Eagle Rare), Booker's. Hillrock has its moments. Maker's Cask Strength & 46 Both are great. Noah's Mill.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

drat I realize to each their own but Hudson Baby Bourbon is often considered pretty crap bourbon, regardless of the price.

For bourbons I'm a big fan of Russel's Reserve 10, Belle Meade's Sherry & Madeira Finish, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Most all of the Buffalo Trace expressions (EH Taylor, Eagle Rare), Booker's. Hillrock has its moments. Maker's Cask Strength & 46 Both are great. Noah's Mill.

I hadn't had it before and was gifted a bottle and have been using it to make old fashioneds and they're pretty nice - not sure I'd enjoy drinking it on its own. Was pleasantly surprised after hearing mixed things, hence me asking around for recommendations. I tend to find a thing I like and just not deviate from it for a decade - every bourbon on my shelf is for a different specific drink.

e; Example: I pretty much exclusively use Bulleit in a cocktail that involves infusing the Bulleit with toasted almonds, and then using it with black walnut bitters, maple syrup, and cream sherry. It is like an old fashioned and a pancake had a baby.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 7, 2019

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Nephzinho posted:

Favorite bourbon under $100?

e; fav not best. Also didn't realize what thread I was in but it kind of applies here too anyway.
I've been really digging Henry McKenna. It can be had for ~$35ish around here, and is a bit spicier and less sweet.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

The Bandit posted:

I always liked Rowan's creek and some of my buddies are obsessed with the Willett pot still. Rowan's probably comes in at $40ish and pot still is $70ish if you can find it.

Yes and yes.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I was looking at cognac, and the price point is a heavy start. For blending, what should I be going with? VSOP? And is there a particular favourite for blend?

My local LCBO has Hennessy VS (~65), Courvoisier VSOP (~92), and Remy Martin VSOP (~98$). I can order any other one.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

Fart Car '97 posted:

Noah's Mill.

This- far superior to both pot still & rowan's creek imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

dy. posted:

I've been really digging Henry McKenna. It can be had for ~$35ish around here, and is a bit spicier and less sweet.

But being single barrel you occasionally get a crap bottle. I got one that had a real heavy acetone note that never faded. I keep buying them though because even with the duds, you can't beat the value.