Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Any good chynar recipes that aren't just replacing campari? Made chynar spritzes and chynar mimosas (well chynar and oj) on Christmas day that were well received but I'd like to try it something that uses it as the hero ingredient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

field balm posted:

Any good chynar recipes that aren't just replacing campari? Made chynar spritzes and chynar mimosas (well chynar and oj) on Christmas day that were well received but I'd like to try it something that uses it as the hero ingredient

It's delicious with Coke!

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

field balm posted:

I forget what the drink is called but: Equal parts Cynar, Yellow Chartreuse, Mezcal. It's smoky from the Mezcal and herbal from the Cynar.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

field balm posted:

Equal parts rye, cynar, elderflower liqueur, and lemon absolutely slaps.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So I've made a few Rob Roy's over the last few weeks trying to experiment with a few different sotches, and it's always been a bit insipid? I get that I could just drink scotch other ways and enjoy my Manhattans with rye, but it was an interesting challenge to try and figure out how to make it better. Not sure if it's possible but others seem to like it, I'm curious has anyone a recipe they like or tips on which bitters or brands to give it some better punch?

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Lost Distilleries Lossit would be great for a Rob Roy. I've been playing with a pineapple and tamarind Rob Roy which is almost there. Infuse your vermouth with pineapples and use tamarind extract or tincture in addition to the bitters.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Duey posted:

I forget what the drink is called but: Equal parts Cynar, Yellow Chartreuse, Mezcal. It's smoky from the Mezcal and herbal from the Cynar.

That's a Lady Sniper! Used to make those for people all the time. Great drink.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Justa Dandelion posted:

Lost Distilleries Lossit would be great for a Rob Roy. I've been playing with a pineapple and tamarind Rob Roy which is almost there. Infuse your vermouth with pineapples and use tamarind extract or tincture in addition to the bitters.

Ooh boy, a tamarindo cocktail would be good.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Anonymous Robot posted:

Ooh boy, a tamarindo cocktail would be good.

We have a variation on that idea in a highball style on the menu right now. In a highball glass:1.5 Islay scotch, 0.5 sweet vermouth, 0.5 acid balanced pineapple, ice and top with jarritos tamarindo.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I’m thinking more like the candy, though, with the chili powder and lime.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Tamarind michelada with a chili powder salt rim.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Justa Dandelion posted:

acid balanced pineapple

Do you adjust up or down? And fresh fruit? If so how do you know the right balance for each fruit?

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Carillon posted:

Do you adjust up or down? And fresh fruit? If so how do you know the right balance for each fruit?

Canned juice, acid balanced up with (iirc) 35 g citric acid and 12 g malic acid per L of juice. Whatever the liquid intelligence acid balanced juice guideline is. If you wanted to use fresh juice then I'd take an average pH of lime juice and add a blend of 1 part malic and 3 parts citric acid until the pH matches the lime juice. This goes for any acid balanced juice.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Human Tornada posted:

Tamarind michelada with a chili powder salt rim.

loving yummers.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So I made my second Aviation today and I decided to try something that would seem to be a bad idea with a citrus juice based cocktail -- stirred instead of shaken. And honestly I feel like it fixed it for me. There's this certain thing about citrus cocktails that I don't like sometimes -- this sort of extreme tartness and gritty mouth feel that overpowers the drink. I felt the same way about The Last Word. But now I might try that stirred too.

I got the idea from this Anders Erickson video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmw5D32W8sM

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Ah yes that beautiful purple sky we all know and love.

In all seriousness though, if it works for ya, it works. It’s been a while since I’ve made one but my spec was more on the lines of
2oz gin
.75oz lemon
.5oz Luxardo maraschino
.25 creme de violette
.25 simple syrup
Shaken

The Last Word is such a different cocktail, I find it odd that he would recommend it in the same breath.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah that was what I settled on eventually too. I was driving myself crazy with aviations always being full of gritty little ice pieces and looking more gray-pink than blue. How do you fix this? Well, I can try going mad with clarifying lemon juice, bumping up the ratios of everything except citrus to crazy levels, straining through tiny sieves or coffee filters to get out all the citrus slivers and ice fragments, using Rose's, things no sane man would consider. But eventually I was like, what if I just stirred it? :aaaaa:

e after watching: drat that's some small ratios, I was always using 1:1:1:1 for mine

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 8, 2022

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The Maestro posted:

The Last Word is such a different cocktail, I find it odd that he would recommend it in the same breath.

Just made one with a cherry in the middle. Very good. I might up the gin to 1.5oz.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It’s a truly wonderful drink. So good in so many variations - mezcal, whiskey, etc. I like to cut the maraschino a .25 and up the gin a .25. It’s a boozy drink and will sneak up on ya

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The Maestro posted:

Ah yes that beautiful purple sky we all know and love.

In all seriousness though, if it works for ya, it works. It’s been a while since I’ve made one but my spec was more on the lines of
2oz gin
.75oz lemon
.5oz Luxardo maraschino
.25 creme de violette
.25 simple syrup
Shaken

To be clear I was only talking about the shaking vs. stirring -- I didn't really pull anything else from the video.

I mentioned The Last Word because I had a similar reaction to that one -- I felt I loved all the flavors in it but something texturally just hasn't clicked for me. I'm going to try a stirred version when I can and see if it hits the spot.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I made a Bad Word last night. Just a Last Word with Gran Classico swapped in for the Luxardo, the bitterness is very welcome and I think I prefer it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I got a bottle of Drambuie for Christmas. Is there anything else fun I can do with it other than endless Rusty Nails (which are great, but I wanna mix it up a bit)?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Kingston Club

1 1/2ounces Drambuie
1 1/2 ounces pineapple juice
3/4 ounce lime juice
1 teaspoon Fernet Branca
3 dashes Angostura bitters

Shake and serve over ice, top with 1 ounce soda water and an orange peel

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whenever I read "X dashes of Y bitters" I'm like, obviously everyone is using "dash" to mean something way different than I am, right?

Like there's no possible way any cocktail could benefit appreciably from "1 dash" of Ango when all that means is 1 SHOOKA motion, which equals like 1-2 drops, right? I always want to go SHOOKA-SHOOKA-SHOOKA-okay-that's-probably-a-dash-no-SHOOKA-SHOOKA-okay-1

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Depends on how full the bottle is. When it’s new then yeah it’s prob only a few drops. Once they hit that sweet spot of about 1/4-3/4 full they can really give you a nice dose. That’s what I always shoot for, so I usually add them to the iced shaker/glass first so I can get a visual and try to match that “sweet spot” dose even with a new or nearly empty dasher bottle.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So basically what you’re saying is it settles out and I should shake it up first?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

My understanding of what they're saying is that when it's full there's more oomph behind each shake so more comes out with one motion of the hand.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I believe they're saying the opposite - when it's full it's crossing a smaller bubble gap so it can't build enough momentum to come spurting out. Also the air must glug-glug into the bottle more often at the beginning since there's not that much air inside to act as a pneumatic damper.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
The dash is up there with the pinch for vague measurements that we all accept for some reason. Refillable dasher bottles are much more consistent than dashing from the Ango bottle.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I always use these. They don’t give you as big of a dash as a half full bottle would, but they always give you the same amount no matter how full the bottle is. Granted, the only time I ever use ONE dash of something is the Fee Bros Aztec Chocolate bitters because one is all you need.

https://www.cocktailkingdom.com/dashdart-2-pack-sil

Sir Lemming posted:

To be clear I was only talking about the shaking vs. stirring -- I didn't really pull anything else from the video.

I mentioned The Last Word because I had a similar reaction to that one -- I felt I loved all the flavors in it but something texturally just hasn't clicked for me. I'm going to try a stirred version when I can and see if it hits the spot.

Oh for sure. The beauty of cocktailing is being able to tailor drinks to your preference. I like the texture of a shaken drink (and the added dilution for boozy ones) but I do typically go for stirred cocktails. I just never stirred a citrusy cocktail.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I've never thought I put too much ango in a drink that calls for it. But then I enjoy doing shots of it.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
1 dash = 1 shake from a half full bottle. When your bottle is more full you’ll need to dash more because less comes out per shake, and likewise dash less when it’s less full.

Also for all of you talking about gritty-feeling shaken drinks, try fine straining them. I put a Hawthorne strainer in my mixing tin and pour through a tea strainer to catch the shards.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I've never thought I put too much ango in a drink that calls for it. But then I enjoy doing shots of it.

Make yourself a Trinidad sour! I actually prefer it with overproof agricole and lime, but rye and lemon is good too

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Trinidad sour represent!

E; fb

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

cptn_dr posted:

I got a bottle of Drambuie for Christmas. Is there anything else fun I can do with it other than endless Rusty Nails (which are great, but I wanna mix it up a bit)?

You can make a Smokey Nail by using smokey scotch like Laphroaig or Ardbeg.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Trinidad sours are why I have to buy the extra big bottles of Ango.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

On another though complimentary note, I came into an overabundance of molasses. In figuring out what to do with it, I turned some of it into molasses syrup. And boy oh boy does that match up well with dark rum things. I'm looking forward to seeing everything else I can blend it with.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Mr. Wiggles posted:

an overabundance of molasses

Pretty sure this is the name of a long lost Captain Beefheart album.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm thinking I'm going to have an Aviation as the "cocktail of the night" for a dinner party I'm hosting this weekend, and I have one quick question regarding it - all the recipes I've scoped call for "maraschino liqueur". I'm not the biggest fan of cherry so I'm not incredibly familiar with this, would I be able to sub in Heering Cherry Liqueur in a pinch?

Follow-up question: any goon-recommended creme de violettes y'all can throw at me?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm thinking I'm going to have an Aviation as the "cocktail of the night" for a dinner party I'm hosting this weekend, and I have one quick question regarding it - all the recipes I've scoped call for "maraschino liqueur". I'm not the biggest fan of cherry so I'm not incredibly familiar with this, would I be able to sub in Heering Cherry Liqueur in a pinch?

Follow-up question: any goon-recommended creme de violettes y'all can throw at me?

Thanks!

Can’t make that sub, no. Heering is sweet and syrupy, maraschino is dry, bittersweet, and- herbal? It’s a very unique flavor, the closest I can describe it is halfway between cherry cough syrup and anise. But good!

Edit: for creme de violette, you usually can’t go wrong with Giffard liqueurs.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 11, 2022