Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

Lotta good advice

:hmmyes:

We got our Aviation dialed in last night: 3/4oz violette, 1/2oz lemon juice, the rest of the volumes the same. We didn't notice a large difference in increasing the Luxardo liqueur or by adding any more violette.

It has a slight lavender colour to it from certain angles, and while I do love the purple in those doctored photos, overcast sky with a hint of purple is also very pretty.

Thanks for all the tips!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Aviations that I've had in bars that I've thought best capture the idea of the thing seem to turn out clear/not-cloudy and light blue, almost an ice blue. That's what feels "airy" to me.

Anyway, I have stumbled upon a way to get rid of this bottle of Grüne Fee that I mistakenly bought thinking that it would be good absinthe (n.b. it is not, it doesn't even louche, it's just like sugary black licorice with 65% alcohol):

1.5 oz Grüne Fee
1.5 oz Licor 43
1.5 oz lemon
Shake very much

I'ma call it the "It Is Green"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0RuRJOQa8M

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It's a nice green, and you didn't have to soil your lips with Midori!

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Hey, I think Midori is poised for a comeback.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This is what I usually end up with Aviation-wise:

Even stirred it's a little cloudier than I'd like, and more pink than blue, but it's light enough on the violette and maraschino as to not be overpowering or cloying. It does threaten to be too citrusy at these ratios though.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I made one last night to see how it would look and although it was a bit more violet in person, still nowhere near the pinterest look.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

This sounds good, but I'll have to pick up some curacao first. Thanks!

Thanks for this suggestion! I did have everything on hand for this, and both my wife and I enjoyed it. I might tinker with it and try just a slight bit less Campari next time.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I made one last night to see how it would look and although it was a bit more violet in person, still nowhere near the pinterest look.

Lol that anyone thinks poo poo on pintrest is ever NOT edited

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Data Graham posted:

The Aviations that I've had in bars that I've thought best capture the idea of the thing seem to turn out clear/not-cloudy and light blue, almost an ice blue. That's what feels "airy" to me.

Anyway, I have stumbled upon a way to get rid of this bottle of Grüne Fee that I mistakenly bought thinking that it would be good absinthe (n.b. it is not, it doesn't even louche, it's just like sugary black licorice with 65% alcohol):

1.5 oz Grüne Fee
1.5 oz Licor 43
1.5 oz lemon
Shake very much

I'ma call it the "It Is Green"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0RuRJOQa8M

Absinthe is notorious for lovely, scummy packaging designed to trick you. "Classic Absinth"? Nope, labeled that way so it's not legally absinthe but you think it is. "Absente: Absinthe Refined" NO no, you see it's not Absinthe, we're saying it's Absinthe, refined. Its really lame and frustrating

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Call it port and serve it to unsuspecting friends.

:hmmyes:

Halloween Jack posted:

Holy Communion, if you're into that. Drank it every Sunday for years

i was always a friday evening/saturday morning manischewitz kid myself

prayer group posted:

Dogg. I manage the bar at a Jewish restaurant. You came to the right place.

I make a Manischewitz syrup by combining an equal volume of it with white sugar and stirring vigorously. The resultant “Manny syrup” is surprisingly useful. Here are a couple recipes from my book:

Mensch 75
1.5oz gin
0.75 lemon juice
0.5 Manny syrup
Shake, fine strain into whatever glass, top with dry sparkling wine. Garnish with a lemon twist or a small plastic dreidel.

Synagogue Sling
1.5oz vodka
0.75 lemon juice
0.5 Manny syrup
0.5 Luxardo Bitter Bianco (Suze or Salers will work fine too)
Shake and dump, ice and all, into a tall rocks glass. A lemon twist is nice but not strictly necessary.

Try using it anywhere you’d use grenadine. It’s fun!

i actually found out about the mensch 75 through the discord server a while back! that one turned out a bit sweet for me, but i'll have to give the synagogue sling a chance. manny syrup as a grenadine substitute sounds like a solid idea overall. i've been having fun the past month making new syrups (finally got a better funnel and swing-top bottles to make my life easier)--i wonder if there's some spice or herbs i could mix in, too. could be a fun experiment.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I chilled a lot of champagne for New Year's, only to learn that half the party was doing a Dry January. Being snowed in is as good a reason as any to open it

Give me your best champagne cocktails go go go

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Halloween Jack posted:

I chilled a lot of champagne for New Year's, only to learn that half the party was doing a Dry January. Being snowed in is as good a reason as any to open it

I like this one. It’s a dry, crisp take on a rum and coke:

https://www.thrillist.com/recipe/the-ultimate-champagne-rum-and-coke-recipe

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

Death in the afternoon! Champagne and absinthe, it's glorious.

Oh also did an airmail recently and thought it was pretty fun

Carillon fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 17, 2022

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Halloween Jack posted:

French 77 - like a French 75 but with St Germain instead of simple syrup.

Scythe posted:

I bought a bottle of apricot liqueur to make some Slopes and they're delicious but now I'm realizing how long I'm going to have this bottle if I only use it for that. Anything else you all like to do with apricot liqueur? (It's Rothman & Winter, if it matters, not garbage.)

This is from ages back, but reminded me to post one of my partner's favourites, and the main reason I buy apricot liqueur:

Moon River

0.5 oz gin
0.5 oz apricot liqueur
0.5 oz orange liqueur
0.25 oz Galliano
0.25 oz lemon juice

I usually make 1.5-2X that amount per drink when batching.

There's also a variant called a Fairy Belle that adds egg white, and is also delicious.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Halloween Jack posted:

I always like a simple champagne cocktail, but I substitute grapefruit bitters for the angostura.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

This is an excellent recommendation, one of my favorite drinks.

I also like Seelbachs

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I'm making an online order to buy stuff that I otherwise cannot find whatsoever in this state (yellow chartreuse, montenegro). You guys have mentioned Cynar a lot but frankly I don't go through bottles very quickly so I'm hesitant to buy low ABV things like that because unless I really, really love it (Lillet!) it'll probably go bad or lose most of it's flavor before I get a third of the way through. Is the Cynar 70 proof a worthwhile substitute? I assume it will last for years no problem whereas the regular probably won't?

Also any other suggestions for stuff that's good for cocktails that I probably can't find in Nebraska are welcome :v: There's a couple pretty decent liquor stores in Lincoln but they still don't have probably 40% of the stuff I look for when I go looking to expand my options.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 17, 2022

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I do really like Cynar 70 and would recommend it, but regular Cynar has enough sugar to preserve itself despite the ABV seeming low.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm tired of squeezing my lemons into a jigger like a moron. Any suggestions for a squeezer? I like the flat bottom of this Kitchen Aid, but I like the stainless steel of this bad boy here.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Honestly any of the standard-shape hand squeezers will do the job. I can't speak to the construction quality of either of those, but as long as the pins hold together well and the press area is large enough you're golden. I can personally vouch for the quality of this citrus press, which has stood me in good stead for years at this point. The rubber grips are removable, and may or may not add all that much to the experience, I can't tell. The mechanism is solid though.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
My wedding is this fall and we're just doing it in my backyard, 35, maybe 40 people. I have a call with a local bartender who does events like this where you buy all the liquor and supplies and they show up and make the drinks, but he also said he would work to make a few custom cocktails, and I have a call with him this weekend. Just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas on a good direction to go with this before I actually talk with him.

I am planning on having beer be self serve from coolers, and also will probably have a keg or two from my friend's brewery. Will have the bartender pouring wine, and want to have a full bar available. As much as I'm into cocktails, I know with this kind of event it isn't realistic or necessary to have a full blown bar with everything available. I just want a few "menu" cocktails, in addition to having stuff available to making basic old fashions, manhattans, negronis etc.. Some of the people won't even drink, or will probably mostly drink wine, so I think the number of people sticking with beer/cocktails would probably be 20-25.

For the cocktails, I think we want one topped with either sparkling wine or soda, one in the realm of a gold rush or penicillin, and some negroni variation. I'd be down to make gallons of a pre-bottled negroni (e.g. for Xmas I made a cranberry and orange zest infused gin negroni), and as for the others, I can premix any components minus juice so it can be put together quickly. Does this sound doable? Any good ideas for cool infused negroni variants or gold rush/pencillin esque drinks (i.e. I love whisk(e)y+honey+lemon in all forms)

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I bought Rothman Creme de Violette after reading about everyone else trying Aviations recently. Gin used is Boodles.

I do think this has nudged the Negroni to second place for favorite cocktails.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

nosleep posted:

My wedding is this fall and we're just doing it in my backyard, 35, maybe 40 people. I have a call with a local bartender who does events like this where you buy all the liquor and supplies and they show up and make the drinks, but he also said he would work to make a few custom cocktails, and I have a call with him this weekend. Just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas on a good direction to go with this before I actually talk with him.

I am planning on having beer be self serve from coolers, and also will probably have a keg or two from my friend's brewery. Will have the bartender pouring wine, and want to have a full bar available. As much as I'm into cocktails, I know with this kind of event it isn't realistic or necessary to have a full blown bar with everything available. I just want a few "menu" cocktails, in addition to having stuff available to making basic old fashions, manhattans, negronis etc.. Some of the people won't even drink, or will probably mostly drink wine, so I think the number of people sticking with beer/cocktails would probably be 20-25.

For the cocktails, I think we want one topped with either sparkling wine or soda, one in the realm of a gold rush or penicillin, and some negroni variation. I'd be down to make gallons of a pre-bottled negroni (e.g. for Xmas I made a cranberry and orange zest infused gin negroni), and as for the others, I can premix any components minus juice so it can be put together quickly. Does this sound doable? Any good ideas for cool infused negroni variants or gold rush/pencillin esque drinks (i.e. I love whisk(e)y+honey+lemon in all forms)

Honestly I would probably chat about punches/pre-batched drinks. Where is he working? If he doesn't have a space where he can clean/reset tools even the simplest private event menus can go to poo poo extremely fast

Carillon
May 9, 2014

nosleep posted:

I think that's tough depending on how much pre-batching you want to do. I think the sparkling and negroni variation could be pre-batched for easy pours, but I know citrus is more of a pain to do in that format. What are you trying for and what's the wait time you're looking for for guests?

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
You could do a clarified Negroni batched cocktail. My bar does a milk punch style one that is an absolute killer. Everyone likes it. Served neat with a grapefruit twist. Champagne cocktails are also good. Sugar cube, bitters and sparkling wine.

In my cheap rear end opinion, if you’re offering all these drinks AND batching cocktails, then you might be overpaying for this person’s services. You could just batch a regular Negroni and a regular Manhattan in a nice looking jar and call it a day. Maybe throw in a paper plane because people like that a lot. Then have someone who costs less to come in a fill cups with booze. Not too complicated. I dunno. 40 people means like 8-12 will actually drink cocktails (most only one during the cocktail hour) when you have wine and beer available. Offer mixed drinks with a handle of whiskey and vodka and that’s it. Remember that all the stuff you offer will compete with in another. It’s hard to please everyone.

I’m also super cheap and did a lot of stuff for my wedding on my own so take what I just said with a grain of salt. I know it’s not possible to do everything and actually enjoy the wedding, but sometimes it’s worth it to save money. You do you though and be happy!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is there any such thing as a heavy but light/yellow-colored syrup that could be used in place of grenadine, to make a "sunrise" where the colors actually make sense (yellow on the bottom, red on top)?

I always thought it was kind of ridiculous that you have to pretend it's a red sun rising into an orange sky

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Well akshually the sky is red is near the horizon and fades to yellow then blue above so what you need is red on the bottom, yellow above, a blue floater with a lemon drop sinker to represent the sun

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean if anyone can pull that off, badass

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Honey syrup?

Also if you've never seen a red sun rise into a yellow sky, you've clearly never lived in the Pacific Northwest during apocalyptic forest fire season.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Data Graham posted:

Is there any such thing as a heavy but light/yellow-colored syrup that could be used in place of grenadine, to make a "sunrise" where the colors actually make sense (yellow on the bottom, red on top)?

I always thought it was kind of ridiculous that you have to pretend it's a red sun rising into an orange sky

Simple with yellow food coloring.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Saffron syrup maybe?

That would be cool to play with...

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Turmeric also makes things very yellow but has a strong flavor. Might work in a gin drink?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Have you ever seen a sunrise

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Where do you live, Charn?

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Data Graham posted:

Passion fruit syrup if that hasn't been suggested already

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Where do you live, Charn?

I'm not going to derail the thread beyond "you can literally just google image search the word "sunrise" and see that it is in fact perfectly normal for the sunrise to go from red-->orange/yellow"

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Justa Dandelion posted:

Passion fruit syrup if that hasn't been suggested already

I use a lot of passion fruit syrup, and it's not so good for yellowing as you might expect. But it tastes real good.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

Carillon posted:

I think that's tough depending on how much pre-batching you want to do. I think the sparkling and negroni variation could be pre-batched for easy pours, but I know citrus is more of a pain to do in that format. What are you trying for and what's the wait time you're looking for for guests?

Booties posted:

You could do a clarified Negroni batched cocktail. My bar does a milk punch style one that is an absolute killer. Everyone likes it. Served neat with a grapefruit twist. Champagne cocktails are also good. Sugar cube, bitters and sparkling wine.

In my cheap rear end opinion, if you’re offering all these drinks AND batching cocktails, then you might be overpaying for this person’s services. You could just batch a regular Negroni and a regular Manhattan in a nice looking jar and call it a day. Maybe throw in a paper plane because people like that a lot. Then have someone who costs less to come in a fill cups with booze. Not too complicated. I dunno. 40 people means like 8-12 will actually drink cocktails (most only one during the cocktail hour) when you have wine and beer available. Offer mixed drinks with a handle of whiskey and vodka and that’s it. Remember that all the stuff you offer will compete with in another. It’s hard to please everyone.

I’m also super cheap and did a lot of stuff for my wedding on my own so take what I just said with a grain of salt. I know it’s not possible to do everything and actually enjoy the wedding, but sometimes it’s worth it to save money. You do you though and be happy!

Thanks for the suggestions and this all makes sense. I had a conversation with the guy earlier this week and I think it actually will be a good move. He brings a mobile bar with some kind of sink with a water pump so he didn't act concerned about making shaken drinks. He said he usually arrives two hours early to prep juices etc and he also brings a barback to handle all the extra tasks plus handing out beer/wine. I still think I'll end up going for pre-batched stirred drink, something bubbly, and one shaken since he is down for it. In the end, we may be overpaying somewhat but I think it will be fun to work with the guy on coming up with a few cool cocktails vs. just paying the food catering crew for their bartender.

He talked of course about cocktails related to our background, or where we're from, which is not exactly what I care about. We just want to have versions of cocktails that we personally like and that will also be things that are crowd pleasers. That being said, my fiance is Filipino and mentioned it might be cool to play around with something with calamansi, which is a lime local to the Philippines that is apparently less tart and has some orange quality to it. We have lots of Asian grocery stores and some Filipino stores around here, but not sure I can bank on sourcing enough fresh ones. Even though pre-bottled juice is 1000% always worse than fresh, I did order some 100% calamansi bottled juice and started playing around with a calamansi daiquiri. You have to add some lime to give the tartness it needs but it actually ended up being pretty good. Anyone else ever hosed with calamansi?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I haven't messed with it myself but it is a delicious fruit. If I was at a wedding that was serving a calamansi daiquiri I would drink about a thousand of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

My Filipino grocer always stocks calamansi juice, and I've made a few daiquiris from it. Also really good as a replacement for orange juice in other tiki cocktails.