Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Professor Wayne posted:

Went to the store to restock on some things today. I subbed High West for Rittenhouse to shake things up, so thanks for the rec. I also impulse bought a bottle of saline solution to try out. I didn't notice until I got home that, in small letters under "saline," it says "sea salt and black pepper." Should be interesting

lmao you bought salt and water mixed together and somehow accidentally got a third thing in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

So I decided to gently caress around and make a syrup with curry leaves. The flavor is a bit mild (probably could have steeped them for longer than half an hour), but comes out very nicely against ginger ale or ginger beer. Any suggestions on cocktails I could make with this?

I've also infused a bit of gin with charred rosemary and orange, which came out very well. Mixes nicely with elderflower tonic for a G&T, and with some blanc vermouths. I'm thinking a bee's knees is the next step.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I didn't top it with chartreuse whipped cream, but the recipe makes me want to buy a whipped cream canister.

A restaurant chain in Hawaii (Monkeypod) serves mai tais with a lilikoi (passionfruit) foam on top (side away from gravity). I spent a lot of time working on duplicating their foam and was mostly ok with the results.

I’m in Hawaii right now and went back for one and my foam was better than theirs.

Get a whipped cream charger they’re fun.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Chemmy posted:

A restaurant chain in Hawaii (Monkeypod) serves mai tais with a lilikoi (passionfruit) foam on top (side away from gravity). I spent a lot of time working on duplicating their foam and was mostly ok with the results.

I’m in Hawaii right now and went back for one and my foam was better than theirs.

Get a whipped cream charger they’re fun.

Man I love those Monkeypod mai tais. Can I come to your house?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I finally found Hamilton 86!!

It is way more different from El Dorado than I expected. Gonna have to do more comparisons before I write a trip report

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Crossposting since it's more relevant here but the Seattle thread is much more likely to get the name:

Qylvaran posted:

I just made a Climate Pledge (my name for a Dark & Stormy with Kraken rum):

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Went to a tiki bar tonight and we’re having Mai Tais!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Qylvaran posted:

Crossposting since it's more relevant here but the Seattle thread is much more likely to get the name:

they make a Kraken Attacks New Jersey I've seen around!

I'm actually totally unfamiliar with spiced/"black" rums. I can't find Cruzan Blackstrap anywhere, but are Kraken and Gosling's and the like worth trying? Any recommendations?

Currently just doing an old-fashioned with the Hamilton 86, but it's so nice and sweet that I skipped the syrup, so it's just rum with a dash of bitters :haw:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I used to drink spiced rum as a dumb college kid, I would not bother now that I understand good alcohol. There's not much to them, they're mostly just sweet and strongly vanilla. I've heard homemade ones can be tasty but I wouldn't waste money buying one.

Gosling's isn't spiced I don't think.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I didn't have any other rye, so we ended up using my Rare Breed Rye for Manhattans tonight and holy hell. Not something I would do all the time, but that proof kick adds a whole lotta something.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
We made a spiced rum from Flor de Caña extra seco a few months ago and it was quite nice. Actually made a Cuba Libre worth drinking.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Went to a tiki bar tonight and we’re having Mai Tais!

I went to a tiki bar tonight and the bartender went on an amazing rant about authentic mai tais. I did end up ordering something else, but it was a good time

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I used to drink spiced rum as a dumb college kid, I would not bother now that I understand good alcohol. There's not much to them, they're mostly just sweet and strongly vanilla.

Honestly, same, but I bought that bottle for the novelty of the limited edition label and wanted to use it for something.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
So if anyone has to go to Tacoma, WA for any reason and you like Tiki check out The Devil's Reef downtown. It's Lovecraft themed, they make very strong drinks, and the menu is esoteric as heck. Wife and I had a Mai Tai each, and split a "Dark Harbor": Dark spices, sasparilla, citrus, strong Fijian rum.

Came home and finished the night with a Placebo, a non alcoholic version of a Painkiller for the wife, and a Sidecar for me.

1.5x portions to fit in my big martini glasses

2.25 oz Hennessy VS Cognac
1.5 oz Cointreau
.75 oz lemon juice
Double strained into a chilled and sugar rimmed martini glass

Excellent cocktail night!

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 21, 2023

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
What's the actual, "correct" apertif to add to an El Presidente? I see all kinds of different reports that you're supposed to use blanc vermouth, dry vermouth, or even stuff like lilet blanc. I made one last night using 50/50 dry and sweet because I don't have blanc and I read a spec saying that that was a good mix, and it was actually really delicious. Extremely silky, and makes me thankful I finally pulled the trigger and made some homemade grenadine.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Dunno if this is just local or wider but my Costco has a 32oz jar of fabbri amerena cherries for $15.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Alucard posted:

Dunno if this is just local or wider but my Costco has a 32oz jar of fabbri amerena cherries for $15.

Thats a loving deal.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The Polish Pirate posted:

Man I love those Monkeypod mai tais. Can I come to your house?

Sure, you in Norcal? If not I’ll share the recipe when I’m back.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What are some coffee cocktails you guys like? I'm having some trouble finding ones that use actual coffee, not coffee liqueur. I know about the Noble Beast, I like it a lot but it's way too rich to have more than one of.

E: Not espresso, I don't have a machine. I just got AeroPress and looking to take advantage of my new ability to make small amounts of coffee quickly. I know you can make fairly strong coffee with it but not sure it would be able to sub for espresso?

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 21, 2023

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I finally found Hamilton 86!!

It is way more different from El Dorado than I expected. Gonna have to do more comparisons before I write a trip report

Hamilton 86/151 are replacements for, very specifically, Lemon Hart and Lemon Hart 151

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

What are some coffee cocktails you guys like?
Not really a proper cocktail of the type you’re probably looking for but I love drinking Irish Coffees. I throw a Demerara sugar cube or two in a mug, aero press a cup of coffee over it, 1.5oz of blended Irish whiskey and top with Whipped Cream. More than the sum if it’s parts and a great evening pick me up that won’t get you totaled.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

Hamilton 86/151 are replacements for, very specifically, Lemon Hart and Lemon Hart 151

yeah I didn't expect it to replace El Dorado or anything just be somewhat similar

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 22, 2023

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Strange Matter posted:

What's the actual, "correct" apertif to add to an El Presidente? I see all kinds of different reports that you're supposed to use blanc vermouth, dry vermouth, or even stuff like lilet blanc. I made one last night using 50/50 dry and sweet because I don't have blanc and I read a spec saying that that was a good mix, and it was actually really delicious. Extremely silky, and makes me thankful I finally pulled the trigger and made some homemade grenadine.

Blanc vermouth is supposedly the official choice. It makes for a smoother drink than you'll get from dry vermouth (especially if you use a dry rum and/Triple sec). You can buy half bottles of blanc just like the other Dolin stuff so it's well worth the effort if you see yourself drinking more of these in the future.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Snow Cone Capone posted:

yeah I didn't expect it to replace El Dorado or anything just be somewhat similar

I got the 86 because I wanted something that wasn't as fire as the 151. I kinda wish I'd gotten something else because it just sits on my shelf now. It will probably be my next bottle that I just pour from to get rid of. I have a bottle of Mt Gay that I am doing that with now.

Not that I think the 86 is bad. It just doesn't really add anything to my shelf that I can't fulfill with something else I like more.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I discovered that Tanqueray 10, lemon juice, and tonic water = liquid candy Rockets and now my wife loves it. That’s my expensive gin! :mad:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7188296447257857323

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Anybody else hate Sichuan peppercorn effect? I only want it in tiny amounts. More culinary-wise but I would extend that to drinks.

I've been making dirty martinis with a lot of vermouth and brine. I feel like given that it doesn't need any extra dilution. I experimented with putting the premixed cocktail in the freezer but I think the proof is too low, it's slushy. I think I can freeze the gin, fridge everything else, serve in chilled glass and have it be cold enough? Just give it a good stir?

I got kind of creative with the brine component, wrote it up somewhere else: https://www.reddit.com/r/cocktails/comments/10fgfzm/made_up_batch_of_my_olive_brine_component/

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 23, 2023

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Oga's Cantina in the Disney Parks uses it to good effect in their Fuzzy Tauntaun drink as a foam top, just don't breathe it in like some redditor's friend did by accident.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Sash Juan button?

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

We're throwing a mid-afternoon Valentine's Day party and I'd love to be able to mingle and not mix cocktails all afternoon. Any suggestions for a pleasing punch? Maybe one that's red/pink in color?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

How many people are you looking at and how done-up are you willing to go? I have a pretty delightful punch that I made for my sister's birthday a couple years ago but it's a fairly large recipe.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

Kenning posted:

How many people are you looking at and how done-up are you willing to go? I have a pretty delightful punch that I made for my sister's birthday a couple years ago but it's a fairly large recipe.

Any Kenning punch is a winner in my book. 30ish people and I'm willing to do a fair bit of pre work.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Tonight I made a La Louisiane.

1.25 oz Whistle Pig Rye 10 year Single Barrel (117 proof)
3/4 oz Dolin Sweet Vermouth
3/4 oz Benedictine
2 dashes Angostura and 2 dashes Peychauds
Rinsed glass with Absente 100 and expressed lemon peel

I feel very warm in my chest now. If you like Sazeracs, try this one sometime.

Tonight I made another La Louisane but changed up the ratios.

1/2 oz Benedictine
No angostura
3 dashes Peychauds
A few dashes of Absente in the mixing glass and a rinse in the glass
Orange peel expressed (stick with lemon!)

Not bad! Almost done with this bottle of sweet vermouth so I’m gonna get something different and run through all the cocktails I’ve made with vermouth again.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/thomas_violence/status/1620340990262521859?s=46&t=2yspjxCGSd9vLZYdmNBqhg

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Was just gifted a copy of Cocktail Codex. From flipping through it, it seems like they know what's up. Anyone read it?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yep. A well-structured text, good bottle recommendations, just a very solid primer for someone that’s interested in learning to serve cocktails. A nice midpoint between being too basic or being unrealistic for a home bartender (though I think there are a few recipes that require you to have a centrifuge or something?)

Their immersion circulator Demerara gum syrup and cinnamon syrup are a mainstay in my home.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The Polish Pirate posted:

Any Kenning punch is a winner in my book. 30ish people and I'm willing to do a fair bit of pre work.

Great! The punch I was thinking of was based on this one that I'm going to be serving at my wedding, but I don't think I documented the specifics, so it might be lost forever. This one is more of a garnet color, but very, very nice. I'm quoting the post from when I originally shared it, but have updated the recipe per my current spreadsheet.

Kenning posted:

Old Sugarmill Punch

Ingredients

1 bottle VS cognac
12 oz. Smith & Cross (or other dark, funky rum)
6 oz. kirschwasser
6 oz. Gran Marnier (I actually used Gran Gala)
16 oz. lemon
8 oz. raspberry syrup
6 oz. white sugar
64 oz. Earl Grey tea
3 bottles sparkling rose
1 bottle rich still rose (ideally something like a Pinor Noir from Willamette, not a Provençal)
48 oz. soda water
rose water to taste, start with 1 tsp

Servings: ~55
Size: ~9 quarts, serve in 12 qt. bowl

The procedure is nothing special. You can make an oleo-saccharum of the lemon peels in the sugar, or just do what I've been doing lately, which is to peel the lemons and then express the oils into the shrub like you're garnishing a cocktail. It's not quite as much oil as you'd extract from an oloe-saccharum, but it makes prep easier in some respects. The Early Grey was 1 tsp/cup water, steeped for around 5 minutes at just below boiling temp – in the future I'd probably make it a bit stronger.The lemon juice, sugar, syrup, and tea can all fit in a 1 gallon container, and the mix of Smitty, Gran Marnier, and kirsch can fit in an empty 750. When it comes time to serve, pour everything that doesn't sparkle first, then gently add the sparkling wine and soda water. Finish with the rose water, slip in an ice block and call it a party.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

Kenning posted:

Great! The punch I was thinking of was based on this one that I'm going to be serving at my wedding, but I don't think I documented the specifics, so it might be lost forever. This one is more of a garnet color, but very, very nice. I'm quoting the post from when I originally shared it, but have updated the recipe per my current spreadsheet.

This rules. Thanks so much. Will report back after the party on the 12th

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hell yeah! Take pics, if you can, I love to see other people's punch setups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I caved and bought a bottle of Gosling's, gonna try a round of dark & stormy's using it and a couple other rums to compare. Kenning, any suggestions outright? I don't have Myers, I've heard that's a known substitute.