Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Apparently per this article neither one is actually aged so it is just different amounts of coloring

https://www.rumwonk.com/p/hamilton-jamaican-pot-still-goldblack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Apparently per this article neither one is actually aged so it is just different amounts of coloring

https://www.rumwonk.com/p/hamilton-jamaican-pot-still-goldblack

This is correct.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Headed to Chicago and my cocktail bar knowledge is out of date, I left when Three Dots and a Dash was still run by Paul McGee, which I guess has changed. I'm curious if anyone has some recommendations of newer places to check out!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I've recently been on a pretty heavy tequila exploration binge and I don't know why I've been ignoring this spirit. I tried a bunch of stuff from mixer quality, to put it on your wall like a trophy (don't do this) and I'm really enjoying the ride.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Carillon posted:

Headed to Chicago and my cocktail bar knowledge is out of date, I left when Three Dots and a Dash was still run by Paul McGee, which I guess has changed. I'm curious if anyone has some recommendations of newer places to check out!

Kumiko is worth it if you’re willing to drop a lot of money. The food is phenomenal as well.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's not new but everything I've ever had at The Drifter has been amazing.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I was looking for the same thing at my liquor store and finally settled on The Real McCoy because the label advertised no sweeteners, flavorings, or artificial coloring. It was when I got home that I realized it had natural caramel coloring instead :v:

Bad news, basically everything brown does. It's usually an insignificant and not in any way an indicator of poor quality. Real McCoy is made by Richard Seale who is a real pedant about that stuff. It's great rum, good choice.

Corb3t posted:

This is correct.

I can confirm this because I've heard if from the mouth of the man himself. He made the pot still black but all the bartenders he introduced it to complained it made every drink they used it in poop brown, so he made the gold without the coloring as a response to that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My daiquiris and Mai tais are always an unpleasant color, that just motivates me to drink them faster

I should work on my layering and floating games though

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah most of my rums are darker colored so I make a lot of brown drinks that aren't supposed to be brown. But I'm not running a bar so who gives a poo poo about that and wash lines and stuff.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's fine it just means that even my sweeter drinks pass the Ron Swanson test

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've been doing those caipirinha riffs lately using dark/aged rum and velvet falernum instead of white rum or other clear liquors, and while it seemed like I was committing some kind of cardinal sin at first I really like the results.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

isn't a caiprinha with rum instead of cachaca just a fancy daiquiri?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe, but for me the whole point is the crushed limes and pulp floating around, so the prep and mix is a significant enough part of the recipe to keep the name a constant as far as I'm concerned.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
On the other hand, you could say that a modern daiquiri, with its perishable syrup and specialized equipment and technique of shaking and straining, is actually a fancy Americanized caipirinha/ti punch/grog/whatever other island’s way of simply combining the local rum variation with local limes and local sugar.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Scythe posted:

On the other hand, you could say that a modern daiquiri, with its perishable syrup and specialized equipment and technique of shaking and straining, is actually a fancy Americanized caipirinha/ti punch/grog/whatever other island’s way of simply combining the local rum variation with local limes and local sugar.

sure, but there's a reason they're all considered different drinks to this day.

I mean i'm not trying to start a big debate or be a jerk about it, and apologies if it came off overly hostile. It's just that to me caipirinha = cachaca, and if it has rum in it it should be called something else on a drinks menu. Who cares what you call the drinks you make for yourself, other than you?
When I make a Kingston Negroni using Doctor Bird and Cocchi instead of S&C and Antica, I call it a Choco-Banana Negroni because that's what it tastes like to me, :shrug:

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

I instantly know what a "Rum Caipirinha" is and it sounds great. A "Daiquiri prepared like a Caipirinha" isn't as appealing. Going with the method of preparation makes sense to me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was also going by how there's "caipiroska" and so on (and apparently the rum variant is "caipirissima"), which suggested it was kinda like a martini in that there are whole bars you can go to that specialize in nothing but a wide panoply of things that can only be described as martinis due to the fact they come in a martini glass.

I just like citrus pulp :buddy:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Data Graham posted:

I just like citrus pulp :buddy:

Heck :same:

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Bad news, basically everything brown does. It's usually an insignificant and not in any way an indicator of poor quality. Real McCoy is made by Richard Seale who is a real pedant about that stuff. It's great rum, good choice.

Notably bourbon and US straight whiskey does not have coloring.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I was looking at a sodastream and had a thought. It's stupid, right? Like, no one wants a carbonated mai tai. Right? Adding bubbles to tiki drinks is just dumb.

Right?

Right?

Why does this sound interesting?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Waltzing Along posted:

I was looking at a sodastream and had a thought. It's stupid, right? Like, no one wants a carbonated mai tai. Right? Adding bubbles to tiki drinks is just dumb.

Right?

Right?

Why does this sound interesting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCiJocD-inU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I want one of these for carbonated party cocktails:

https://a.co/d/4Lz9iRa

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I use a soda stream for a never ending supply of carbonated tap water for my large stash of Hendrick's

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

I use a soda stream for a never ending supply of carbonated tap water for my large stash of Hendrick's

You can carbonate whole mixed cocktails if you're careful to slowly charge it and let the pressure hiss out on its own.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You can carbonate whole mixed cocktails if you're careful to slowly charge it and let the pressure hiss out on its own.

What does this mean?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

What does this mean?

Talking about a Sodastream. You attach the bottle and then manually charge the bottle with co2, and then you pull the bottle put when done. If you charge things other than water, it builds pressure really fast and will explode if you try to just pull it out. Letting the pressure release slowly after charging it a bit and watching the bubbles rise to the surface before charging again will let you carbonate whatever. I've done wine, cocktails, juice etc

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Just not the bullet and get a full on carb rig! I dithered for years but have loved having a CO2 tank and it's so cool. Carbonated Manhattans and negronis are legit good, I did an improved whiskey cocktail that was fun and interesting. You can just put the bubbles straight in a Collins.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Oh my god a carbonated negroni sounds good.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I always add an ounce of soda to my negroni as-is, so yeah I am sure that’s really nice.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

angerbeet posted:

Oh my god a carbonated negroni sounds good.

It’s hit and miss. In the pandemic “anything goes” liquor laws days I had a few cans secondary ferment and they were wonderful, delightful, and then grounds for a citation.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

I always add an ounce of soda to my negroni as-is, so yeah I am sure that’s really nice.

It is! I add a little more gin and a dash of lavender bitters and then carbonate it. It's delightful.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

My summer go-to is an Americano Perfecto — 1 ounce Campari, 1 ounce sweet vermouth, topped off with whatever beer I've got in the fridge that day.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

cptn_dr posted:

My summer go-to is an Americano Perfecto — 1 ounce Campari, 1 ounce sweet vermouth, topped off with whatever beer I've got in the fridge that day.

Ah the Spaghett. Add a lime in that thang and it's even better.

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/spaghett-cocktail

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Carillon posted:

Just not the bullet and get a full on carb rig! I dithered for years but have loved having a CO2 tank and it's so cool. Carbonated Manhattans and negronis are legit good, I did an improved whiskey cocktail that was fun and interesting. You can just put the bubbles straight in a Collins.

I’m pretty sure it’s actually cheaper than a soda stream lol. You just gotta find a place that will exchange/refill tanks but that’s easier these days because there’s a chance you can just go to a home brewing store instead of having to find an airgas place that takes walk ins

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Ah the Spaghett. Add a lime in that thang and it's even better.

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/spaghett-cocktail

I don’t know what it is that bugs me about calling it that, honestly. Maybe it’s because we called it a Camparti. Or a Crampy Cider if you used, well.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

bloody ghost titty posted:

I don’t know what it is that bugs me about calling it that, honestly.

Maybe because of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omy3BERUd1g

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I ordered one at a bar and the waitress said it in the Tim & Eric voice and we became instant friends

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Now I have two reasons.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I ordered one at a bar and the waitress said it in the Tim & Eric voice and we became instant friends

Lol that rules

Making T&E or ITYSL connections with random encounters is a sublime joy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Carbonated Negronis? So you aren’t hyperdecanting then?