Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Just tried this on a whim. Gin and tonic with a splash of orange liqueur. Not bad, not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's a bit of a sissy drink but I've always liked Cointreau and apple infused Vodka topped with lemonade. Vary the amounts to taste. Simple but a great summer drink.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
Any recommendations for relatively simple summer time cocktails. Now that the weather is nice I'm looking for some good cocktails for enjoying out on a back deck.

Right now my go-to options are things like Caipirinha, pisco sour, daiquiri with St. Germaine, mint julep.

Any other good drinks to add into the mix?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Mojito!

Btw, tried an old fashion. Tasted like bourbon flavoured kool-aid. Not a fan

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Pimm's cup with a nice slice of cucumber.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Hendrick's G&T with a nice slice of cucumber.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Devoz posted:

Any recommendations for relatively simple summer time cocktails. Now that the weather is nice I'm looking for some good cocktails for enjoying out on a back deck.

Keeping it simple, I'd suggest the Dark and Stormy. Pour ginger beer, pour rum, squeeze lime, slight stir, and you're done. Delicious, refreshing on a hot day, and quick.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

bunnyofdoom posted:

Mojito!

Btw, tried an old fashion. Tasted like bourbon flavoured kool-aid. Not a fan

Make no mistake, an Old Fashioned is the wrong choice if you don't already enjoy bourbon flavors, in my opinion.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Glottis posted:

Make no mistake, an Old Fashioned is the wrong choice if you don't already enjoy bourbon flavors, in my opinion.

Here's the kicker, I love bourbon. It was just too sweet for me.

For reference, I was using about a teaspoon of sugar, and a bit of bitters

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 9, 2013

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

Anyone have a good coquito recipe? I know egg nog isn't summer appropriate, but it's my friend's favorite drink and I want to make some for her birthday.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

bunnyofdoom posted:

For reference, I was using about a teaspoon of sugar, well saturated with [bitters]

I'm guessing you pasted the wrong link? I'm assuming it was supposed to be bitters, and you must have a pretty low tolerance for sweetness if 1 tsp + bitters was too sweet.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 9, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Glottis posted:

I'm guessing you pasted the wrong link? I'm assuming it was supposed to be bitters, and you must have a pretty low tolerance for sweetness if 1 tsp + bitters was too sweet.

Yeah. It was bitters. Can you please edit the link out

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

How much bourbon did you use? A teaspoon seems pretty appropriate, honestly.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The best Old Fashioned, in my experience, is made with straight rye instead of bourbon.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

bunnyofdoom posted:

For reference, I was using about a teaspoon of sugar, and a bit of bitters

Did you by chance muddle a handful of oranges, cherries, lemons, blueberries, everything horribly wrong in the 90s style fruit cup old-fashioned? That's the only reason I can imagine you thinking it tasting like kool-aid.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

No fruit except a little orange zest.

Tried it again last night.

Ingredients.
1 tsp of sugar.
4 dashes of bitters
2 oz of Jim Bean
Orange Zest after everything else was in the cup.

Not as sweet, thank god, but still, not a fan. Going to stick to manhattans.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
So like a lot of folks in this thread I imagine myself an amateur mixologist. I've been working through my liquors to know a few cocktails with them, and tuning them to make them taste good. Currently my favorites are the Negroni, the Last Word, and a proper whiskey sour...meaning it drat well better have egg white in it.

Anyways I've hit a bit of a wall....tequila. I can make a decent margarita, but that's about it. I was at a friend's place on Cinco de Mayo and they requested I whip some stuff up. Problem was the only triple sec they had on hand was dekruyper (not sure how to spell it), so every margarita I made tasted like rear end. I tried making a tequila sour (decent), and a tequila fizz with lime instead of lemon that wasn't offensive.

Any other suggestions for what to do with tequila that's tasty and made with unexotic ingredients? It seems like such a pain in the rear end liquor to work with.

Edit: Oh yeah, also, any suggestions for what to do with this half bottle of Luxardo I have besides "buy more Chartreuse, make more Last Words." Would be cool.

Haroshia fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 9, 2013

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Haroshia posted:

Any other suggestions for what to do with tequila that's tasty and made with unexotic ingredients?

Paloma is an easy highball. ~1.5oz tequila, pinch of salt, ice, grapefruit soda, lime wedge.

'unexotic' is open to interpretation so forgive me:

High Noon - 1.5oz tequila, .5oz orange liqueur, .5oz Campari, 1oz grapefruit juice. Shake/coupe/grapefruit peel
??? - 1.5oz tequila, .75oz grapefruit juice, .25oz agave syrup, pinch salt, ~2 strawberries. Muddle/shake/coupe
Sister Mary - 1oz tequila, 1oz elderflower liqueur, .25oz Aperol, .75oz grapefruit. Shake/coupe
Ho‘opono Potion 1.5oz tequila, .75oz lime, .5oz Aperol, .5oz simple, ~2 cucumber slices, Muddle/Shake/coupe/lemon wedge
Siesta - 2oz tequila, .5oz Campari, .5oz simple, .5oz grapefruit, .5oz lime. Shake/coupe/grapefruit peel.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Klauser posted:

Paloma is an easy highball. ~1.5oz tequila, pinch of salt, ice, grapefruit soda, lime wedge.

'unexotic' is open to interpretation so forgive me:

High Noon - 1.5oz tequila, .5oz orange liqueur, .5oz Campari, 1oz grapefruit juice. Shake/coupe/grapefruit peel
??? - 1.5oz tequila, .75oz grapefruit juice, .25oz agave syrup, pinch salt, ~2 strawberries. Muddle/shake/coupe
Sister Mary - 1oz tequila, 1oz elderflower liqueur, .25oz Aperol, .75oz grapefruit. Shake/coupe
Ho‘opono Potion 1.5oz tequila, .75oz lime, .5oz Aperol, .5oz simple, ~2 cucumber slices, Muddle/Shake/coupe/lemon wedge
Siesta - 2oz tequila, .5oz Campari, .5oz simple, .5oz grapefruit, .5oz lime. Shake/coupe/grapefruit peel.

It didn't occur to me that Campari and tequila might play together. Will have to try it since I always have a bottle of Campari on hand. Does it still have a bit of tequila flavor to it, or does if get overpowered by the citrus and campari bitterness?

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Haroshia posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, also, any suggestions for what to do with this half bottle of Luxardo I have besides "buy more Chartreuse, make more Last Words." Would be cool.

You'll get a dozen good choices just from Kenning, probably, but my knee-jerk reaction is to make Aviations. (Technically, you need Creme de Violette for an Aviation done right, but people started making them without while Creme de Violette wasn't manufactured, and I think they're darned tasty either way. Creme de Violette is darned tasty, pick some up one of these days anyway.)

The main ingredients are gin, lemon juice, maraschino, and Creme de Violette (optional, like I said). Much like a Martini, the proportions are subject to some debate; I'd start with 2oz gin, .5oz lemon juice and .75oz Luxardo. Shake, strain, and see where you are.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Aviation #2s require Creme de violette. In my opinion, it is not optional. 1.5 gin .75 lemon .25 each maraschino and violette.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

pgroce posted:

You'll get a dozen good choices just from Kenning, probably, but my knee-jerk reaction is to make Aviations. (Technically, you need Creme de Violette for an Aviation done right, but people started making them without while Creme de Violette wasn't manufactured, and I think they're darned tasty either way. Creme de Violette is darned tasty, pick some up one of these days anyway.)

Creme Yvette works soooo much better if you can find it.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Vegetable Melange posted:

Aviation #2s require Creme de violette. In my opinion, it is not optional. 1.5 gin .75 lemon .25 each maraschino and violette.

I don't think it's a lost cause without it, but just between you, me and the Internet, I keep Creme de violette in my bar just for Aviations. (And occasionally to spike some champagne.)

Duey posted:

Creme Yvette works soooo much better if you can find it.

I keep looking at it in the state store, but it always seems so much more expensive than the Rothman and Winters.

Checks state store website, sees that it's on sale this week for $10 off....

Uh, excuse me, fellas. I got somewhere to be.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I have decided this summer that I want to get into some tiki/rum drinks, where is a good place to start?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

I have decided this summer that I want to get into some tiki/rum drinks, where is a good place to start?

If it's a book you are looking for this is the best.

http://www.amazon.com/Beach-Bum-Berry-Remixed-Jeff/dp/1593621396/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368387303&sr=8-1&keywords=beachbum+berry+remixed

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Had some shots of a Polish liqour last night at a friends 30th. It had 3 stars on the bottle all supposedly representing something, I think it started with an M.

We all agreed it tasted like bug spray.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

indoflaven posted:

Had some shots of a Polish liqour last night at a friends 30th. It had 3 stars on the bottle all supposedly representing something, I think it started with an M.

We all agreed it tasted like bug spray.
This bottle?

It has a cult following in the chicago area, see this story on NPR for a summary:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/04/15/177362556/how-swedish-malort-became-chicagos-mascot-bitter-drink

As you can see, mine is not full, it is quite entertaining to offer it to unsuspecting people. My favorite part of the bottle is the text, which claims something to the effect that its bitter taste is enjoyed by two-fisted drinkers.

Hollis Brown fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 12, 2013

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Hollis Brown posted:

This bottle?

It has a cult following in the chicago area, see this story on NPR for a summary:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/04/15/177362556/how-swedish-malort-became-chicagos-mascot-bitter-drink

As you can see, mine is not full, it is quite entertaining to offer it to unsuspecting people. My favorite part of the bottle is the text, which claims something to the effect that its bitter taste is enjoyed by two-fisted drinkers.

That's it!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Bitter men's makes a pretty dope Malort. It is an acquired taste.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

What is your current rum collection and how prepared are you to acquire 6-8 bottles in the next couple of weeks?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

So prepared. How many of those bottles need to make it past the 2 week mark though, is always the challenge laid before my home bar.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The secret is to buy a lot at once so you can then refill them as they get consumed.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Happy birthday to me...

I am thinking of kicking things off with an Aviation.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Alcoholic gifts are the best gifts.

Klauser posted a bunch of Lillet cocktails one page back if you're looking for some ideas.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Chuck Biscuits posted:

Alcoholic gifts are the best gifts.

Klauser posted a bunch of Lillet cocktails one page back if you're looking for some ideas.

Good call, thanks to you and Krauser. Tonight with the new bottles I have tried a Last Word, an Aviation, and a Vieux Mot which was incredible.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Kenning posted:

What is your current rum collection and how prepared are you to acquire 6-8 bottles in the next couple of weeks?

I've got half a bottle of Havana club left. I'm ready coach!

M3V
Jul 26, 2012

♪ toot ♪
What cocktails would go with cheesy meatloaf?
http://www.cookinglight.com/food/everyday-menus/quick-easy-beef-recipes-00400000057018/page15.html

Making dinner with my LDR goon bf this Friday and I want things to be extra-special. :cheeky:

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

M3V posted:

What cocktails would go with cheesy meatloaf?

A bright bubbly highball would be good. Americano or Paloma come to mind right away.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I'm having my graduation party tomorrow and was thinking of an easy to prep and mass produce drink for my friends. There's going to be a keg of good beer and wine, so it doesn't need to be crazy. It's going to be about 70 degrees out. I was considering a mojito, but thought I could do something more creative than that. I am definitely willing to try something new and refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ahem.

Demon_Corsair posted:

I've got half a bottle of Havana club left. I'm ready coach!

Okay, so the most important rum for Tiki mixing is either a white Cuban-style or a dark Jamaican. You've got Havana Club, which is good, but you're going to need another bottle soon. Your next purchases, in order, should be:

Coruba (or other dark Jamaican, i.e. Meyers). I loving love Coruba though.
Plantation Barbados 5-year or Mt. Gay Eclipse (I prefer the Plantation). A gold Barbados rum essentially.
• A gold Puerto Rican style. I use Flor de Cana 4 Year gold. Cruzan would also work, as would presumably Havana Club, if they make a gold. Avoid Bacardi Gold, though I've heard their 8 year reserve is nice.
Lemon Hart Demerara 151. Accept no substitutes. Drink the gunpowder.
El Dorado 5-year or Lemon Hart 80, or other 80 proof demerara rum.

You're also going to need a bottle of falernum. Now, you can always buy Fee Brother's or John D. Taylor's Velvet, but I like to make my own. In fact, I've found that my bottle of falernum is often a very handy countdown for how long I'm likely to continue to be interested in making Tiki drinks all the time. Usually by the time it's 75% gone I'm over the whole Tiki thing and get back into drinking beers and Old Fashioneds, or making punch. In any case, you're going to also need a bottle of J. Wray and Nephew's Overproof Jamaican rum, and this recipe. I usually let the ginger and cloves soak for more than 1 day, but never more than 3.

In terms of other liqueur-type booze you'll need a curaçao, or something that can act as a curaçao (I tend to use either Cointreau or Gran Marnier, depending on the drink). Senior Curaçao and Marie Brizard make good ones. Definitely strongly consider acquiring some St. Elizabeth's Allspice Dram. Several of my favorite Tiki drinks use pimento dram, and St. Elizabeth's is drat good. Finally, you would not be remiss in picking up some apricot brandy (the liqueur, not the eau-de-vie). I have Marie Brizard, which is great, and I've also had Rothman and Winter's, which is also great. There's also one drink in Beach Bum Berry Remixed that calls for Campari that is truly excellent, but that's more of a "If you have it that's great" sort of deal. Oh yes, and get some absinthe. It's expensive, but every good bar should have absinthe. I have St. George, but La Sorcière and Ridge are also very good. Check the Wormwood Society reviews.

Beyond alcoholic ingredients there are a few things to keep on hand at all times. Buy a few 6-packs of soda water, and get used to wasting half cans regularly (very few recipes call for more than 2 or 3 ounces, so even if you're making for friends you can end up wasting some – it's cheap though). Get in the habit of buying a handful of lemons and limes every time you go to the grocery store. If you can still find navel oranges it's good to have a few of those on hand (smaller ones taste better), as well as white grapefruit. Citrus season is long past though, so you'll probably need to buy a bottle of white grapefruit juice. It's not ideal, but it's not bad. You're going to buy mint as often as you buy limes probably. When you get is from the store, chop of the bottom 1/2 inch of the bunch and stick it in water like a bunch of flowers – it lasts a lot longer that way. Try to find some passionfruit syrup that's not terrible. I have some Indonesian brand that I found at an Asian supermarket – it's worth a shot to see if it's there.

Finally, pineapple juice. You can get this from a can, but I always juice mine fresh. The process, which I've been meaning to share, takes about 5-10 minutes, but can yield as much as 3 cups of juice from one decent-sized pineapple. I'll document it in pictures eventually, but for now:

1. Peel, core, and chop your pineapple. I usually cut it in half so it's not so tall and is easier to trim. Err on the side of not wasting flesh, rather than getting every last bit of skin off – this will get strained out.
2. Dump the chunks into a good-sized pot or bowl. I use a 2 liter Pyrex measuring cup.
3. Smash it up somehow. I use a pair of flat-edged wooden spoons and or spatulas or the like. If you have one of those wavy metal bar-style potato mashers it could also work. You want it to be a liquidy mush. Some chunks are okay.
4. Place a colander in a large bowl and line it with cheesecloth (several layers) or muslin or whatever. I have some flour sacks that work awesome. Pour the pineapple mush into the colander.
5. Wrap it up and squeeze the poo poo out of it. I dig my fingers into the ball to break up chunks and get even more juice out. You can do this as much as you like, but if your arms start hurting it's probably enough. I usually stop before then.
6. Discard the dry pineapple flesh (or do something else with it if you like) and pour the juice into an appropriately-sized bottle. Store in the fridge for as long as you like.

The juice is at its best within a week of being squeezed, but even after that it's substantially better than any other sort of pineapple juice. It will eventually go off, but you'll probably use it up before then. And if not it's not so expensive.

So good luck! Report back to describe all your Tiki adventures! And try to get some friends to go in with you on the ingredients – it'll make it easier to bear and everyone will be happier. Cheers.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 28, 2013