Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Orange blossom syrup: where do I find it? I probably should have asked this a week or two ago.

You make orange blossom syrup by adding orange blossom water to 2:1 white simple syrup. You get orange blossom water at nice groceries, Indian markets, or on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

proof of concept posted:

Add a bit of water

I've been doing this more and more and now longer am wrecking my life with alcohol thanks thread

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Kenning posted:

You make orange blossom syrup by adding orange blossom water to 2:1 white simple syrup. You get orange blossom water at nice groceries, Indian markets, or on Amazon.

Like Whole Foods / Trader Joes nice? I can do that. I just didn't think to order any off amazon in the past couple weeks. I do have prime, so I can order it if I need to, but I'd prefer to get it in person. Making Limmer's Club for the fourth.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

nrr posted:

Scotch is the best breakfast

FTFY

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Like Whole Foods / Trader Joes nice? I can do that. I just didn't think to order any off amazon in the past couple weeks. I do have prime, so I can order it if I need to, but I'd prefer to get it in person. Making Limmer's Club for the fourth.

I would be astonished if Whole Foods doesn't have orange blossom. Check in the "Ethnic" or "Asian" section. Trader Joe's is a maybe, but there's a decent chance there as well. And good luck on your Limmer's!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If this is the first time you're making punch for a party, be prepared to become the punch guy. Everyone is going to love it and will say that punch is the way to go. You will then feel obligated to make punch for everything. You will oblige because you also love punch. Are you ready for this future?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

anyone who shies away from the ability to make unlimited, dumbass punch puns to and/or about anyone and everyone either in friends circles or extended families eg. I punched this poo poo out of your girlfriend/mother in law/grandma and she came back and begged me for more, obviously doesn't deserve the homemade Puncher Champion belt that I made out of cardboard and tinfoil the other day.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Does anyone have (and can post) a 'Best of Kenning' punch recipes list from this thread?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

If this is the first time you're making punch for a party, be prepared to become the punch guy. Everyone is going to love it and will say that punch is the way to go. You will then feel obligated to make punch for everything. You will oblige because you also love punch. Are you ready for this future?

My wallet is ready.

This is also a trial run, I want to make a big batch for my wedding. Punch, wine, and beer is a lot cheaper than a fully stocked bar and someone to mix drinks.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You're a goddamn hero.

angor posted:

Does anyone have (and can post) a 'Best of Kenning' punch recipes list from this thread?

The bolded ones are the strongest recommended (although they're all fantastic).

Admiral Russel's Punch (updated recipe), cognac and sherry.

United Service Punch, black tea and Batavia arrack.

Limmer's Club Gin Punch, gin, soda water, and orange blossom syrup.

Pinkhouse Punch (ne้ Kenning's Punch), Irish whiskey and barley wine.

Boston Club Punch, champagne, pineapple, raspberry syrup, and the kitchen sink.

Frank Forester's Punch, cognac, green tea, champagne, and Gran Marnier.

Regent's Punch, champagne, pineapple syrup, green tea, rum, cognac, Batavia, oh my.

USS Richmond Punch, rum, cognac, ruby port, black tea, and soda water.

Gowanus Club Punch, gin, green tea, pineapple syrup, soda water (and a dash of Chartreuse!).

K&A Orange Punch, cognac and Seville oranges.

Glasgow Punch, Jamaican rum (and maybe jaggery sometimes).

Punch B, brandy, Bordeaux, and blood oranges.

Flaming Bishop, rum, unfiltered apple cider, oranges, cloves, and fire.

Lost Souls Punch, Calvados, Belgian-style quad, and absinthe.

Hollands Punch (hot), genever gin.

Pear Pudding Punch, milk punch with pear brandy.

Captain Radcliffe's Punch, cognac, Sauternes.

Hollands Punch (cold), genever gin.

American Whiskey Punch, bourbon. Fine enough, but not particularly recommended.

Bully Dawson's Punch, Jamaica rum, cognac, arrack, porter.

Berry Preserves Punch, jellied punch, recipe can be used as a base for other jellied punches.

Why you should make punch.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 19, 2023

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Holy gently caress you're a legend.

Going to a party with 16 drinkers (10 of which are fairly heavy drinkers). How much Limmer's do I need to make? Will 2 1L bottles of Bombay Dry do the trick?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Kenning posted:

USS Richmond Punch, rum, cognac, ruby port, black tea, and soda water.
I've made this one a couple times and everyone always loves it and gets hammered. Thanks Kenning. :patriot:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's a great punch! I haven't made that one in a while, I think that's gonna be my next largeish bowl I make.

angor posted:

Holy gently caress you're a legend.

Going to a party with 16 drinkers (10 of which are fairly heavy drinkers). How much Limmer's do I need to make? Will 2 1L bottles of Bombay Dry do the trick?

Hahahah yeah it looks like a lot when it's all posted together. Punch is loving awesome.

In terms of portioning, my basic sizing estimate is 3 drinks per person, where 1 drink = .6 oz. ethanol. That's usually for a mixed group of people who are interested in having a really solid night.

To figure out the number of drinks per punch use the following equation: ABV ๗ 100 ื volume liquor ๗ .6. Therefore assuming 2 liters of 40% ABV gin (1 liter is about 33 oz) you get 44 drinks, or 2.75 drinks per person. That could work fine, although if your friends are enthusiastic drinkers you might run out.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Hey Kenning, which of those would work with Burmese food(Thai+Indian+Chinese)? Was thinking either the Gowanus or the Limmer's.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah I feel like Gowanus would be a good move. Although the true baller move would be to make Bombay Presidency Punch with some proper cashew fenny and rosewater instead of nutmeg. Good luck finding cashew fenny though.

SirJoeKCB
Dec 24, 2003
I've got some friends coming into town for the weekend of the 4th and I was thinking of making a punch (probably Admiral Russel's). I'm not confident that we'll go through a full batch in one day. Should I be looking at scaling back the recipe or will it keep well enough if stored properly for a day or two (assuming I don't use anything carbonated)?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Getting the last bits together for the Limmers on Saturday. Does the kind of soda water I get matter, or should I just get whatever's cheap?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The best soda for punch is Jarritos Mineragua, because it's got very strong carbonation. If you don't live around a lot of Mexicans that may not be available, in which case just use whatever is cheap and strongly bubbly.

SirJoeKCB posted:

I've got some friends coming into town for the weekend of the 4th and I was thinking of making a punch (probably Admiral Russel's). I'm not confident that we'll go through a full batch in one day. Should I be looking at scaling back the recipe or will it keep well enough if stored properly for a day or two (assuming I don't use anything carbonated)?

You can totally store punch in the fridge for a bit. I do so more and more lately, because I've apparently aged out of being able to always finish a bowl. Just keep it in the fridge and serve it over ice cubes again. And good luck!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Crosspostin' from the Infuse Your Booze thread. I'm making this punch again for tomorrow. Kind of takes 3 days of prep, though. It's pretty much limecello and strawberry shrub with some seltzer and mint. I just used one of those giant vats with the tap that you can get from Walmart, since it holds like 3 gallons.

Zest of 8 limes in 500ml of high proof vodka (I used everclear, but have also used Devil's Springs) , soaking for 2-3 days, then strain and cut it with 550ml water, 250ml sugar.

4 cups strawberries cut into tiny bits and 3.5 cups sugar sittin' together for about a day, strain the juice/syrup from the berry carcasses (but keep those because they fuckin' rule on waffles or toast or whatever!). Add in 4 cups of vinegar. I used white, but I could easily see apple cider vinegar replacing half that.

Add that limecello and strawberry shrub together, add in 3-4L of seltzer, add a chunk of ice, and get very drunk. I also had some mint leaves around because I thought they went nice together.

The punch went very quickly the last time I made it. I look forward to serving it again tomorrow.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

The best soda for punch is Jarritos Mineragua, because it's got very strong carbonation. If you don't live around a lot of Mexicans that may not be available, in which case just use whatever is cheap and strongly bubbly.

You can totally store punch in the fridge for a bit. I do so more and more lately, because I've apparently aged out of being able to always finish a bowl. Just keep it in the fridge and serve it over ice cubes again. And good luck!

I haven't had a chance to compare, how does Jarritos stack up against Tropo Chico?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Kenning posted:

I live where there's Mexican coke in every store, so I can probably find it.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Kenning posted:

You're a goddamn hero.

The bolded ones are the strongest recommended (although they're all fantastic).

Admiral Russel's Punch, cognac and sherry.

K&A Orange Punch, cognac and Seville oranges.

Flaming Bishop, rum, unfiltered apple cider, oranges, cloves, and fire.

Lost Souls Punch, Calvados, Belgian-style quad, and absinthe.

Made and tasted; I approve these all!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh cool I didn't know anyone else had made Lost Souls Punch. Glad you enjoyed it!

slut chan posted:

I haven't had a chance to compare, how does Jarritos stack up against Tropo Chico?

I've never had Tropo Chico. The difference in Jarritos vs. Other Soda Water is present, but small. Don't stress too much over it if you can't get Jarritos easily.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Crosspostin' from the Infuse Your Booze thread. I'm making this punch again for tomorrow. Kind of takes 3 days of prep, though. It's pretty much limecello and strawberry shrub with some seltzer and mint. I just used one of those giant vats with the tap that you can get from Walmart, since it holds like 3 gallons.

Zest of 8 limes in 500ml of high proof vodka (I used everclear, but have also used Devil's Springs) , soaking for 2-3 days, then strain and cut it with 550ml water, 250ml sugar.

4 cups strawberries cut into tiny bits and 3.5 cups sugar sittin' together for about a day, strain the juice/syrup from the berry carcasses (but keep those because they fuckin' rule on waffles or toast or whatever!). Add in 4 cups of vinegar. I used white, but I could easily see apple cider vinegar replacing half that.

Add that limecello and strawberry shrub together, add in 3-4L of seltzer, add a chunk of ice, and get very drunk. I also had some mint leaves around because I thought they went nice together.

The punch went very quickly the last time I made it. I look forward to serving it again tomorrow.

This sounds good.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
hah! no, thank YOU!

Yeah, I was going over the list of ingredients that I already had, and I have like 3 bottles of laird's apple brandy that I rarely use, so it made sense to try it. 10/10, would most definitely make again!

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Kenning posted:

Oh cool I didn't know anyone else had made Lost Souls Punch. Glad you enjoyed it!

I've never had Tropo Chico. The difference in Jarritos vs. Other Soda Water is present, but small. Don't stress too much over it if you can't get Jarritos easily.

This sounds good.

It does sound awesome but it seems like a lot of vinegar. Is equal(ish) parts vin/sugar normal? I'm sure the flavor is not noticeable but I don't really want to drink that much vin. Also I guess Apple cider vin is much more noticeable flavorwise than white vin. I would even experiment with white balsamic to go with the strawberries.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Anyone ever gently caress around with shrubs? I'm intrigued and not sure where to start.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I broke down and bought a bottle of campari.

First Negroni. If I had fresh vermouth, this would probably be my favourite drink.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

First Negroni. If I had fresh vermouth, this would probably be my favourite drink.

Campari is so good, especially in the summer. I've been using Cocchi Vermouth di Torino, but from the advice of the thread I'll probably try Dolin red next.

You might like this:

My Old Pal
2 parts rye (I used Sazerac)
1 part dry vermouth (I used Vya)
1 part Campari
orange twist garnish.

I find the sweeter spirit balances well with the dry vermouth, giving about the same bitterness as a Negroni. But really I like all the Negroni variations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just plain old campari and soda water is so dang good

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Another hot cocktail tip: open a Miller High Life (or whatever, I do this with basically any beer I buy; also tastes great with a nice kolsch or whatever) and take a good swig out of it and then top it off with Campari. You can thank me later but please promise to refer to it as a "Camparty" because I really wanna make that a thing

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm gonna go buy some Session and do this and I'm gonna call it a Camparty, thanks.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

goferchan posted:

Another hot cocktail tip: open a Miller High Life (or whatever, I do this with basically any beer I buy; also tastes great with a nice kolsch or whatever) and take a good swig out of it and then top it off with Campari. You can thank me later but please promise to refer to it as a "Camparty" because I really wanna make that a thing

Tastes great with IPA too. Even better in a pint glass w/ some ice and a lemon twist. My go-to beer cocktail.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Getting the last bits together for the Limmers on Saturday. Does the kind of soda water I get matter, or should I just get whatever's cheap?

I made Limmers yesterday. It was awesome, but the soda water I had ran flat pretty fast. On the other hand, I'm not sure how I expected it to last 4 hours or so. How do you deal with this happening - make it in two batches and top up?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

goferchan posted:

Asked for this in a fancy cocktail bar when I was just dropping in for an after work drink: changed my bartenders world that night.

Two years ago rolling with the beach bag dirtbag crew we would rock crampy ciders like it was the business, give it a try.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Kenning posted:

It's a great punch! I haven't made that one in a while, I think that's gonna be my next largeish bowl I make.

Hahahah yeah it looks like a lot when it's all posted together. Punch is loving awesome.

In terms of portioning, my basic sizing estimate is 3 drinks per person, where 1 drink = .6 oz. ethanol. That's usually for a mixed group of people who are interested in having a really solid night.

To figure out the number of drinks per punch use the following equation: ABV ๗ 100 ื volume liquor ๗ .6. Therefore assuming 2 liters of 40% ABV gin (1 liter is about 33 oz) you get 44 drinks, or 2.75 drinks per person. That could work fine, although if your friends are enthusiastic drinkers you might run out.

We made Limmers! It went really well, thanks again. We scaled the recipe up to use 2 litres of gin for 16 of us and we still ran out. Still fantastic and will definitely do it again. Punch is the way to go!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Was no one paying attention when I suggested this forever ago? A shot of Campari in beer is great, preferably an IPA or a pale lager with a bitter finish.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've only ever tried it with gin. What other liquors go well in a beer, and what kind of beer? I've got pretty much all the standards except tequila, because gently caress tequila. I've even got a bottle of Remy Martin that I never drink. Turns out that I like whiskey better than brandy. I wish I'd known that before I dropped $40 on that bottle after tax. On the other hand, that's likely to get me to buy some Cointreau or O3 or something to make sidecars eventually. Delicious sidecars.

There's actually a really nice bar here that has $5 sidecars for happy hour. I've never gone there during happy hour, I need to some time. They pour doubles, as well. $5 for a double sidecar is practically theft.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Kenning posted:

I'm gonna go buy some Session and do this and I'm gonna call it a Camparty, thanks.

Okay well I did it with Anchor California Lager instead of Session but this is hella good.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

bunnyofdoom posted:

I have been doing variations of the Negroni with different flavored ice cubes. I think the initial one i started with (with the advice of a friend), was a Negroni ice cube that was infused with rosemary and some other botanicals (rose hips maybe?) before branching off from there. With the summer months here, I'd recommend this to other goons as well, as it's one of those drinks that changes flavors as you drink it, and it's really cool/fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

goferchan posted:

Yeah, this is hella good, I tried it with a summer ale. The color it takes on is amazing too.