Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo :piss:

That's galaxy brain genius right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Used to do RC, Crown, and King's ginger. Called it "Three Kings" lol

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
While watching the L.A kings playing kings cup and having king of queens reruns in the background

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
I'm planning on doing a little experiment, and I was curious if my dear cocktail goons had any hypotheses about, or experience with similar side by side comparisons.

I'm going to combine vodka, lemon, sugar, and water with the same proportions but with differing methods of extracting lemon flavor to see how they effect the final outcome.

1. Alcohol maceration method with peels (infusion whathaveyou)

2. Oleo Saccrum method, where the peels (possibly whole hulls) will be submerged in sugar to draw out the oils.

3. Trash Tiki "Citrus Stock" method where the used hulls are boiled in the water.

I should probably have a 4th control type combination, maybe where peels are omitted or something to that effect, but I question the value outside of scientific rigor.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

What is the goal tho

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I haven't done the citrus stock thing, but I JUST got done doing a alcohol infusion vs oleo saccharum test. I tried doing the same thing, same amount of ingredients for everything, just the order/way they were combined changed. I'd also avoid using the entire hull, and just go for the peel/zest. But please go on with your experiment, I'm curious to see what you come up with.

As for the goal, when I did it I just wanted to see what/if any taste difference there was.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fart Car '97 posted:

What is the goal tho

How drunk can one person get in 3 drinks

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

What is the goal tho

Knowledge, and then the application thereof.

Forex, if citrus stock brings comparable, or acceptably conparable, flavor to an oleo, then next time I make punch on a time crunch I can passively boil lemon hulls instead of fondling a vacuum pack of sugar and peels in front of my guests for a few hours.

I like to make homemade amaro, but don't always have fresh citrus on hand when I have time to do the rest of the assembly, so if oleo or citrus stock can add the depth of citrus desired then I can confortably add those to the bottle later instead of rapidly searching for citrus at 2am when I have time to putz around with bottling.

Basically they are three different techniques that from my understanding attempt to do the same thing, with differing levels and types of effort and time involved, and I want to work out the relative return on investment.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's hot. I need summer cocktails that aren't crazy stupid high abv. Been thinking bout Mai Thais lately. Maybe something involving Rum (and not coke).

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Fruit or herb syrup + citrus + soda water + base spirit. I'm having hibiscus/orange/lemon right now because my wife doesn't drink and she wanted a fancy soda. I added gin for me and hey presto!

If you want real ratios, just google Collins + (base spirit) or + (fruit syrup)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Toki Highballs!

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Good vermouth on the rocks with a citrus twist.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Yes basically anything with citrus/mint/fresh. Carbonation also helps.
America: mint julep
UK: Pimm's cup

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
All sounds great. Toki highball seems very interesting. Hate Gin, but I'll give anything a try. I'll just add more citrus and soda water if anything.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Toki is a Japanese whiskey. Fantastic with seltzer.

I am all about vermouth spritzes in summer. Or do what I call a Bamboo Highball and go 50-50 blanc vermouth (I like Montenaro Bianco) to dry sherry (fino or amontillado, palo cortado if you're down), orange bitters, seltzer, lemon twist. Pleasing to the Toki highball drinker, the sherry enthusiast, and the low-proof cocktail fan.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

I’m looking forward to giving the Donn Day Afternoon a try now that summer is on its way.

2 oz (60 ml) AOC Martinique Rhum Agricole Blanc
4 oz (120 ml) Grapefruit Radler (Stiegl preferred)
0.5 oz (15 ml) Cinnamon Syrup
0.5 oz (15 ml) Lime
garnish Grapefruit twist

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

It's hot. I need summer cocktails that aren't crazy stupid high abv. Been thinking bout Mai Thais lately. Maybe something involving Rum (and not coke).

Kenning posted:

I recently developed a drink of which I am extremely proud. My roommates have been calling it "Mint Soap," but it's not necessary that it be referred to as such.

Mint Soap

1 oz. white Cuban-style rum (I use Flor de Cana Extra Dry)
1 oz. gold Barbados rum (Plantation Barbados 5 Year Grande Reserve)
1 oz. lime juice
1 oz. pineapple juice (fresh-squeezed ideal, though a can would probably work)
1/2 oz. 1:1 simple
10-12 mint leaves
2-3 oz. soda water

Put your mint in your shaker, pour the syrup on top, and muddle a bit. Add your rums and juices, a bunch of ice, and then shake the hell out of it. Double strain (with a hawthorne strainer and also a mini conical strainer) into an 8 oz. glass, and top with the soda water.

It's insanely refreshing, while remaining complex and tasty. It also uses pretty much all of my favorite things, a fact of which I am very proud.

This drink is a seriously incredible summer beverage. I could drink them by the bucketful.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Kenning my dude you've made some great punches but that's a pineapple mojito

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fart Car '97 posted:

You can always change the name when you change the recipe.

I recently found out that a recipe I created is actually a slightly modified Pegu Club, despite me not having known the recipe before. It uses an extra 1/4 oz. of Cointreau, switches to Peychaud's Bitters, and uses 5 or 6 drops instead of 3 so the drink turns pink and is a bit more Peychaudy. The classic recipes are just so ideal that trying to make your own drink inevitably falls close to them if it's good, unless you're using weird ingredients like infusions and purees.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Cocktail A is just cocktail B with X instead of Y

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

What source of X do you use? :lsd:

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Rotten Cookies posted:

I haven't done the citrus stock thing, but I JUST got done doing a alcohol infusion vs oleo saccharum test. I tried doing the same thing, same amount of ingredients for everything, just the order/way they were combined changed. I'd also avoid using the entire hull, and just go for the peel/zest. But please go on with your experiment, I'm curious to see what you come up with.

As for the goal, when I did it I just wanted to see what/if any taste difference there was.

So which was better? Or was it too close?

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Rotten Cookies posted:

I was only going to use hulls to keep it fair to the citrus stock that uses them.

What were your results like, in the name of recreating an experiment as any good scientist should?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I originally left out my results so you could come to your own conclusion, but 4 out of 5 people came to roughly the same conclusion independently, and 1 person thought they tasted the same.

4 people thought the oleo saccharum one tasted more like lemon then alcohol, as if someone splashed lemonade into their vodka. They liked the standard limoncello infusion better, which tasted like a lemon alcohol, like it was supposed to be there. That said, they did like the taste of both. It was a blind taste test, and I tried to make sure nobody overheard someone else's tasting of it. But, I mean, sample size and whatever.

I also tried strawberry infused vs strawberry juice added to the alcohol and that was WILDLY different, in that the infusion kicked the poo poo out of the juice one. Juice+alcohol tasted like a lovely off brand jolly rancher in a pint of vodka for all the lack of flavor.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Now drop the science tests and go full French technique- combine the various preparations together until the flavor gets layered and deep.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

bloody ghost titty posted:

Now drop the science tests and go full French technique- combine the various preparations together until the flavor gets layered and deep.

That’s the real answer. Each method will extract different flavors.

I made a killer melon liqueur by cubing melon, infusing in alcohol (I just used 80pf vodka) for about 5 days, straining out, covering the melon cubes in sugar and letting it rest until all the sugar dissolved (about 2 more days), then combining the two liquids. It’s straightforward and velvety, and I finally have a shelf stable way to incorporate melon. At that point I had gotten all the flavor out of the melon so making a “stock” would be pointless and probably contribute undesirable flavors.

Specific recipe: fill a half gallon jar with cubed melon - fits about 32oz
Cover with alcohol - fits about 1.5L
Infuse, strain, leave melon in jar and cover with white sugar - fits about 16oz sugar

The infusion yielded about 64oz and the syrup about 25oz

I’ve done the same method before with whiskey and cherries, but didn’t combine the two products. The whiskey-cherry syrup was even better than the cherry-whiskey.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I dunno man, it's built totally differently, served as a fizz rather than a long drink, and has pineapple, which isn't in a mojito, so I feel pretty confident calling it something else.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The Maestro posted:

That’s the real answer. Each method will extract different flavors.

I made a killer melon liqueur by cubing melon, infusing in alcohol (I just used 80pf vodka) for about 5 days, straining out, covering the melon cubes in sugar and letting it rest until all the sugar dissolved (about 2 more days), then combining the two liquids. It’s straightforward and velvety, and I finally have a shelf stable way to incorporate melon. At that point I had gotten all the flavor out of the melon so making a “stock” would be pointless and probably contribute undesirable flavors.

Specific recipe: fill a half gallon jar with cubed melon - fits about 32oz
Cover with alcohol - fits about 1.5L
Infuse, strain, leave melon in jar and cover with white sugar - fits about 16oz sugar

The infusion yielded about 64oz and the syrup about 25oz

I’ve done the same method before with whiskey and cherries, but didn’t combine the two products. The whiskey-cherry syrup was even better than the cherry-whiskey.

This is awesome and I'm totally gonna try this. I'm feeling melon recently.

I'd recently juiced a honeydew and freeze distilled the juice down and holy poo poo is it awesome. Did the same with watermelon and it was also delicious. Some of that, seltzer, hendricks and a couple mint leaves. Just what I had on hand and it was good enough that I pre-emptively declared this the summer of honeydew.

I also have some limecello going, as well as some strawberry liqueur. One of those might go with it, who knows.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Rotten Cookies posted:

I'd recently juiced a honeydew and freeze distilled the juice down and holy poo poo is it awesome.

Interesting, I've never heard of that for stuff that doesn't contain alcohol, is the sugar concentration high enough that you get a separation between syrup and water to remove?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The juice concentrate drips out/thaws first leaving behind some ice, yeah. 6 liters of watermelon juice concentrated down to 2 liters. 1 honeydew gave me about half a liter of concentrate. I toyed around with the idea of giving it another round of freeze distillation, but gently caress it, it was God drat delicious, and didn't survive to see another round of freezing.

Also, whoever recommended nut milk bags as reusable cheese cloth filters, you are awesome and they work a drat treat for this sort of thing.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kenning posted:

I dunno man, it's built totally differently, served as a fizz rather than a long drink, and has pineapple, which isn't in a mojito, so I feel pretty confident calling it something else.

tomatoe, tomato i'm sure it's good either way.

Mojito, Mojahto :haw:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Rotten Cookies posted:

The juice concentrate drips out/thaws first leaving behind some ice, yeah. 6 liters of watermelon juice concentrated down to 2 liters. 1 honeydew gave me about half a liter of concentrate. I toyed around with the idea of giving it another round of freeze distillation, but gently caress it, it was God drat delicious, and didn't survive to see another round of freezing.

Also, whoever recommended nut milk bags as reusable cheese cloth filters, you are awesome and they work a drat treat for this sort of thing.

That's awesome I should try that. Are you just blending then straining or do you have a more indepth/advanced juicer?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Yeah just put it in a blender, then strained it through the nut milk bag.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Went to a whiskey bar after a night of brewery hopping. Had me a god famn Toki Highball. Man, refreshing wouldn't be close to describing it. Wonderful drink. If you like seltzer and or carbonated water this is the cocktail for you. Slight lemon zest. Didn't tatse the Toki at all. Would recommend to make and or buy.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Rotten Cookies posted:

Neat! How do you decide when to stop drip-melting? I can use your yield amts to estimate I guess. Is the ice mostly clear at that point?

Rotten Cookies posted:

That was me I'm pretty sure :)

My other pro tip in your bar is some model of this

Requires a bit of elbow grease, but if you squeeze more than one citrus (singular: citrum? :v:) at a time this thing is the tits. Never going to break, dishwasher safe important bits.

Three downsides: 1. Mine likes to tip forward, so I need both hands to keep it upright while squeezing. 2. Height could be a little taller so my 2 cup Pyrex would fit under. 3. The screws need tightening every now and then.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Neat! How do you decide when to stop drip-melting? I can use your yield amts to estimate I guess. Is the ice mostly clear at that point?

The ice was mostly clear, yeah, and any color that was left behind was from particulate that the nut milk bag didn't catch. I removed what dripped out, and then let the rest thaw to see if there was anything usable, but it was very light and relatively flavorless, so I decided it wasn't quite worth it to keep trying to catch the melt.

quote:

That was me I'm pretty sure :)

ayyyyyyyy

quote:

My other pro tip in your bar is some model of this

Requires a bit of elbow grease, but if you squeeze more than one citrus (singular: citrum? :v:) at a time this thing is the tits. Never going to break, dishwasher safe important bits.

Three downsides: 1. Mine likes to tip forward, so I need both hands to keep it upright while squeezing. 2. Height could be a little taller so my 2 cup Pyrex would fit under. 3. The screws need tightening every now and then.

Man, something like this has been on my list for a while. Every few months I do limoncello I end up juicing like 30-40 citrus fruits, but I've just been going with a promotional Tanteo citrus squeezer.

I bet your problems could be fixed with a half inch steel plate or maybe even chunk of wood under the original base that extends a bit further forward to keep from tipping, while also giving you the extra height you need.

EDIT: Found my tweets from my melon freeze distilling. Of note, I got more honeydew juice than that, but it was very delicious so Ms Cookies and I just started sippin'

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1132296915398397956

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 19, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The only thing I dislike about my citrus press is that the juicing cone (that perforated bit) is meant to fit into the filter cup in a certain way. If you're not paying attention and you jam it down when you press the first lemon/lime/orange, you are going to need a pair of plyers or a nail puller to pry it back out so you can clean it properly.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

EDIT: Found my tweets from my melon freeze distilling. Of note, I got more honeydew juice than that, but it was very delicious so Ms Cookies and I just started sippin'

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1132296915398397956
How long are you supposed to let it slowly thaw for? I want to do this sometime soon.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Whalley posted:

How long are you supposed to let it slowly thaw for? I want to do this sometime soon.

I didn't really time it, sorry. I was basically tweeting those in real time, so my best guess is at most one hour + 45 min, but more likely less than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Rotten Cookies posted:

I bet your problems could be fixed with a half inch steel plate or maybe even chunk of wood under the original base that extends a bit further forward to keep from tipping, while also giving you the extra height you need.

Yeah, that's *on* the to-do list, but never at the top. To note, I'll have to affix it with screws, bolts, or wedges else it'll just tip out/off of the riser block :effort: