Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Do the little rubber feet not have a bolt going through the middle of them holding them on? I assumed that's how they'd be on there, unless it's just an adhesive? I'd've thought to take the bolts out, mark holes, put feel on bottom of the wood, and sandwich the wood through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

BrianBoitano posted:

My other pro tip in your bar is some model of this

Requires a bit of elbow grease, but if you squeeze more than one citrus (singular: citrum? :v:) at a time this thing is the tits. Never going to break, dishwasher safe important bits.

Three downsides: 1. Mine likes to tip forward, so I need both hands to keep it upright while squeezing. 2. Height could be a little taller so my 2 cup Pyrex would fit under. 3. The screws need tightening every now and then.

If you’re looking to do some serious juicing I strongly prefer a ra chand.

Much more stable, the height is perfect for a 1 quart deli container, and they tend to stay together. I’ve also never broken one, and have broken or had a tender break at least three of the “pretty” ones.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Do you happen to still have the broken ones? If so, would you be willing to part with the two cones pieces that squeeze the citrus? I mean, I have a 2 ton arbor press here not doing anything.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Imma be honest, I thought that was a Crowler canner for a sec.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Rotten Cookies posted:

Do you happen to still have the broken ones? If so, would you be willing to part with the two cones pieces that squeeze the citrus? I mean, I have a 2 ton arbor press here not doing anything.

Unfortunately not, they got left behind at a former jobs.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Lemoncello that's icing up in the fridge just needs more vodka right? I measured the 1 cup/1 cup simple syrup accurately, so unless that's the wrong strength ss I think it's my vodka level.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

Lemoncello that's icing up in the fridge just needs more vodka right? I measured the 1 cup/1 cup simple syrup accurately, so unless that's the wrong strength ss I think it's my vodka level.

If it's icing up in the fridge you need to check that thermostat.

If it's in the freezer, add more alcohol.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Update: Kenji says I'm making my simple syrup too thick for lemoncello :shrug:

Summer Iced Fertili-tea!

My friend had an egg freezing party - "tell the biological clock to chill"

1 part brandy, 0.5 part campari, 1 part citrus*, 0.75 parts simple, 1-2 tonic water to taste

* juice from 2 Lemons, 1 orange, 1 weird citrus fruit from a local farm that's kinda half orange half grapefruit

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I bought Old Grandad bonded and have so far been disappointed. I have fond memories of regular Old Grandad, and saw some decent reviews, but so far it's come across as super light, more like a blended scotch than a bourbon. It's really quite odd. Not sure if I'm the problem, will give it a few days, but what a weird feeling.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The granddad you should have bought is the 114

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Is the 114 available anywhere? I haven't seen it in years and I miss it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Fart Car '97 posted:

The granddad you should have bought is the 114

Send me some and I'll compare/contrast.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Kenning posted:

Is the 114 available anywhere? I haven't seen it in years and I miss it.

The two big liquor stores near my office have it.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Cocktail thread I need help. I'm not so good with the maths, but I am going to making a jug/pitcher/giant mason jar of Cuba Libre for a family members wedding. Ice will be served on the side as will slices of lime, but lime juice will be added in the mix to begin with.

I need to know a good ratio here. I don't want it to be straight rum nor do i want it to be so little that no one taste the rum. It is a 1 gallon jar with a spigot.

My Christmas recipe was 1 cup rum 3 or 4 whole limes juiced and topped off with coke. Family couldn't taste the booze and no one really got buzzed or drunk really. Which, honestly, is a good thing ! But I don't people thinking I make some weak sauce cuba libres. Is it weird I want a mix of the two?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Cocktail thread I need help. I'm not so good with the maths, but I am going to making a jug/pitcher/giant mason jar of Cuba Libre for a family members wedding. Ice will be served on the side as will slices of lime, but lime juice will be added in the mix to begin with.

I need to know a good ratio here. I don't want it to be straight rum nor do i want it to be so little that no one taste the rum. It is a 1 gallon jar with a spigot.

My Christmas recipe was 1 cup rum 3 or 4 whole limes juiced and topped off with coke. Family couldn't taste the booze and no one really got buzzed or drunk really. Which, honestly, is a good thing ! But I don't people thinking I make some weak sauce cuba libres. Is it weird I want a mix of the two?
It depends on the size; I like my cuba libres to be not super limey (about 0.5 : 3 : 5 ratio), so in a gallon I'd probably put in 80oz coke, 48oz rum, and 8oz lime. This comes out to like, 1 cup of lime juice, 6 cups of rum, and the rest filled with coke. A less rummy version would probably be like, "less" lime, 4 cups of rum, filled with coke, but that's if you're doing a whole gallon.

edited because of the whole :3: thing

Wungus fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 11, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Whalley posted:

(about 0.5:3:5 ratio)

The best ratio.

Also if making batched cocktails, the best thing to do is create a single recipe and scale it up. Don't rely on just topping off a container or eyeballing, as it gets really easy to mess up when talking gallon sizes and you don't want to throw out an undrinkable gallon of cocktail.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well I pour a little generously for my self made cocktails tbh. Just for comparison sake, I'm usually; 1Solo red cup, top with ice, pour 1 full shot of liqour, top off with soda/mixer.

So me upscaling my own mixes didnt translate too well for a gallon.

Whalley posted:

It depends on the size; I like my cuba libres to be not super limey (about 0.5:3:5 ratio), so in a gallon I'd probably put in 80oz coke, 48oz rum, and 8oz lime. This comes out to like, 1 cup of lime juice, 6 cups of rum, and the rest filled with coke. A less rummy version would probably be like, "less" lime, 4 cups of rum, filled with coke, but that's if you're doing a whole gallon.

Thanks, this helps me alot and takes alot of the guesswork out. I'll prob keep the lime high since I know how my family loves them some lime and prop do 5 cups of rum for our less booze inclined members. Will report back in 2 weeks on my big batch!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'd make it on the strong side in the jug, with a bottle of coke next to it. People top up to their desired strength, plus it gets fizzy again!

Although with an interactive element like that you'd need to get the signage right.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

I'd make it on the strong side in the jug, with a bottle of coke next to it. People top up to their desired strength, plus it gets fizzy again!

Although with an interactive element like that you'd need to get the signage right.

A guy on the milhist thread Discord got banned from making 18th century punch for parties because of one where everyone got insanely blasted. He put up a sign saying it was 14% ABV, but that didn't stop people from having 22 glasses.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Obviously not familiar with the phrase party like its 1799

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

chitoryu12 posted:

A guy on the milhist thread Discord got banned from making 18th century punch for parties because of one where everyone got insanely blasted. He put up a sign saying it was 14% ABV, but that didn't stop people from having 22 glasses.

You can't just mention stuff like that and not provide a recipe.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I would go 2:1:.5 coke:rum:lime juice but tbh that’s not a drink I would batch out at all.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Beardless posted:

You can't just mention stuff like that and not provide a recipe.

Punch by David Wondrich is the definitive book on the subject. Here's a recipe from a 1694 admiral's feast scaled down 1/700; the original one filled a fountain and had the ship's boy in a rowboat floating in it.

quote:

In a two-gallon Punch bowl or small tiled fountain, dissolve 2½ cups demerara sugar in 1 cup boiling water. Add 18 ounces strained lemon juice and 4 ounces strained lime juice and stir, incorporating any remaining undissolved sugar. Add two 750-milliliter bottles of VS cognac and 18 ounces Montilla or oloroso sherry, stir again, and finish with 1½ quarts cold water. Grate nutmeg over the top, float a Playmobil rowboat with ship’s boy at the oars and make sure the mob has divested itself of shoes and stockings.

I've had several punches and made a clarified milk punch with Batavia arrack, ruby port, and tea. It tends to look like dishwater but taste incredible.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, i could just make jungle juice and not tell my family. It's a wedding! It's supposed to be a blur! Just like mine..

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I just put my second batch of whiskey sours in the fridge, to get it ready for carbonation in the sodastream.

Y'all, you can carbonate cocktails at home. It's the best.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I once made Limmer's Club Punch for a friend's party in college that included a few punch novices. Pretty early on I noticed people with huge solo cups of punch that they were using as a chaser for shots. I left the party pretty early, but I understand that things got pretty messy pretty quickly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kenning posted:

I once made Limmer's Club Punch for a friend's party in college that included a few punch novices. Pretty early on I noticed people with huge solo cups of punch that they were using as a chaser for shots. I left the party pretty early, but I understand that things got pretty messy pretty quickly.

Excellent.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Liter of RUM acquired. Kirkland brand Spiced Rum. Decent stuff, a bit overly sweet tbh but whatever. $14 bucks a bottle. Can't beat that price. The hardest part of this is cutting a few dozen wedges of lime. For garnish and added flavor.

Costco booze is the best for just making massive amounts of well cocktails and big batches. Doing some google math tells me that I can get 7.396817 US cups outta this. The last goon posted I should do 6 cups. That's literally the 3/4ths of the bottle of booze. Might be TOO boozy...I'll do the 4 cup ratio instead. And I honestly don't know how much my family will drink. I'm worried I should get another bottle just incase I run out.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Don’t forget the slits in the limes.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Maestro posted:

Don’t forget the slits in the limes.

:hmmyes:

Each serving will be accompanied by a Cuban Cigar I smuggled in until supplies last. Or a wine flavored Black-n-Mild.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm interested in trying Pimm's Cup but I hate the the taste of juniper in gin. Should I just avoid?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Comb Your Beard posted:

I'm interested in trying Pimm's Cup but I hate the the taste of juniper in gin. Should I just avoid?

There are apparently non-gin formulations, though they are less common. I don't care for the taste of Pimm's Cup itself, but once you mix it with bubbly lemonade and add in some mint and cucumber or whatever it's really tasty.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Also, there are plenty of gins that go light on juniper and might be more to your taste.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Replace gin with vodka. Boom! Vodka tonic.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

gonna make some cherries now that the season is here and quickly closing

any tricks or is it just brandy sugar and cherries

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 23, 2019

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Forgot to mention! My Cubra Libre station was a success. I bought a new pitcher with an ICE CORE and ICE BASE that would keep it cold with no dilution. I did 4 cups rum, 1 liter Coke. No lime in the mix but I had wedgies ready to place on the cups.

Imma make Jungle juice next time :colbert:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Goddamn I bet it was a success, that’s pretty much equal parts.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It was just enough booze to soda ratio. Cup of ice, squeeze of lime and perfection. I'm really interested in more big batch punches. Might be my thing at family parties? Maybe bellinis or mimosas...

Well, either way I'll post about it here for some ratios or suggestions.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm also interested in the hardware!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hardware? Like the $14 pitcher I bought at Walmart? :thunk: