Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Seconding Bulleit Rye, I really enjoy it. For bourbon, I really love Michter's single barrel.

As far as drinks go...

Armistice - 1.5oz rye, .25oz Green Chartreuse, .5oz dry vermouth, .25oz maraschino, 2 dashes barrel aged bitters. Stir/coupe.

Rhythm & Soul - 2oz rye, .5oz Amaro, .5oz sweet vermouth, 2 dashes Angostura bitters. Stir/Absinthe rinsed rocks/lemon peel.

Toronto - 2oz rye, .25oz Fernet-Branca, .25oz simple syrup, 2 dashes Angostura bitters. Stir/coupe/flamed orange peel.

Dale's Sazerac - 1 oz cognac, 1 oz rye, 1/2 oz simple syrup, 2 dashes Angostura, 2 dashes Peychaud's, Absinthe rinsed rocks, Lemon twist.

Boulevard de Reves - 1.5oz bourbon, 1oz sweet vermouth, 1oz Campari. Stir/coupe/.25oz aged rum float, lemon peel.

Left Hand - 1.5oz bourbon, .75oz Campari, .75oz sweet vermouth, 2 dashes mole bitters. Stir/Coupe/Cherry.

Also basil and whiskey go really well together, just muddle some basil with some simple syrup, toss in some rye and lemon juice, shake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Klauser posted:

Seconding Bulleit Rye, I really enjoy it. For bourbon, I really love Michter's single barrel...

Also basil and whiskey go really well together, just muddle some basil with some simple syrup, toss in some rye and lemon juice, shake.

I have a brand new bottle of bulleit rye and a basil plant at home. Gonna try this tonight.

Kenning posted:

I do feel like there is some benefit to reducing the POM down. It adds a depth of flavor that the cold process lacks. Although perhaps Morgenthaler's addition of molasses would provide that depth, while the fresh juice provides brightness. I'll see about that when my current batch runs out.

The recipes calling for molasses freak me out.

Booties fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 19, 2012

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Bulleit bourbon is great, but their rye is completely uninteresting to my palette. Rittenhouse 100 is a good deal more flavorful. I'd take that or Old Overholt over Bulleit any day.

I'd also recommend making some manhattans, provided you can get good cherries (mine are homemade, but their a a few decent brands of non-cancer cherries) and decent (not sitting in your cupboard for a year) vermouth. I've been mixing them with Dolin Rouge.

marmot25 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 19, 2012

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
I love Rittenhouse rye. I also love how much it costs, which is "almost nothing." Something this tasty shouldn't cost $22. It just shouldn't.

If you are looking for rye cocktails that will make you love rye, you really can't go wrong with a classic Old Fashioned. 1 tsp to 1 tbsp of simple syrup, 2-4 dashes angostura, 2 oz. Rittenhouse, lemon or orange twist, ice if you like. It allows you to actually taste the spirit you're drinking without just drinking straight hooch. It's what I make when I want a drink and don't want to think too hard about what to make, which is most of the time.

e: I don't think the Old Fashioned is going to remind you of tiki drinks or gin cocktails, but it might scratch your Scotch itch in a similar way.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Ah I never had rittenhouse rye straight. I just went through some old overholt and loved it. Really good for manhattens. It's just that time of year so I should get some dolin sweet and about 4 more bottles of whiskey

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Yep, the basil, simple syrup, lemon and rye recipe posted above is loving delicious.

I topped it with soda water. Does that make me a bad person? :ohdear:

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Booties posted:

Ah I never had rittenhouse rye straight. I just went through some old overholt and loved it. Really good for manhattens. It's just that time of year so I should get some dolin sweet and about 4 more bottles of whiskey

I really like old overholt + carpano antica. I could never get my manhattan the way I like it using dolin. Though dolin goes great with rittenhouse so go figure.

Totally trying the basil thing tonight, my wife showed up with fresh basil last night. How serendipitous.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

King Hotpants posted:

I love Rittenhouse rye. I also love how much it costs, which is "almost nothing." Something this tasty shouldn't cost $22. It just shouldn't.

If you are looking for rye cocktails that will make you love rye, you really can't go wrong with a classic Old Fashioned. 1 tsp to 1 tbsp of simple syrup, 2-4 dashes angostura, 2 oz. Rittenhouse, lemon or orange twist, ice if you like. It allows you to actually taste the spirit you're drinking without just drinking straight hooch. It's what I make when I want a drink and don't want to think too hard about what to make, which is most of the time.

e: I don't think the Old Fashioned is going to remind you of tiki drinks or gin cocktails, but it might scratch your Scotch itch in a similar way.

The classic Old Fashioned works for lots of whiskeys.

For some irritating reason Rittenhouse has been hard for me to find (when I've had it, it rules), but Old Overholt works pretty well, too. I haven't tried Bulleit but I like their bourbon.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It's not just for you. Rittenhouse was easy to get for about 2 months after its release earlier this year, and now it's impossible to find for another 8 months or so. It's just because, as has been mentioned, Rittenhouse is cheap, and incredibly delicious.

I'd sooner drink Bulleit rye than Old Overholt, if those were my choices.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Old Fashioned experiment tonight. Going with this:

Maker's Mark
Angostura Bitters
Simple syrup
Lemon twist
Ice

How does that sound? Am I missing anything important? Been looking up a few recipes and they tend to vary wildly.

edit: well nevermind then! Apparently my local liquor store no longer stocks Angostura. Motherfuckers. :saddowns:

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 20, 2012

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

King Hotpants posted:

I bought a bottle from a local store but it tastes like musty cardboard. Attempting to mix it only makes the taste stronger unless it's super sugary. Is it possible it'd gone off from being stored at too high of temperatures?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Nuclear Tourist posted:

edit: well nevermind then! Apparently my local liquor store no longer stocks Angostura. Motherfuckers. :saddowns:

Check out your local supermarket. And try and orange twist.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Old Fashioned experiment tonight. Going with this:

Maker's Mark
Angostura Bitters
Simple syrup
Lemon twist
Ice

How does that sound? Am I missing anything important? Been looking up a few recipes and they tend to vary wildly.

For extra Christmas flavour, use rye and add an orange twist and a dash of Peychaud's along with the Angostura. (Warning: Everyone else here will probably say that last bit is crazy.)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

icehewk posted:

I bought a bottle from a local store but it tastes like musty cardboard. Attempting to mix it only makes the taste stronger unless it's super sugary. Is it possible it'd gone off from being stored at too high of temperatures?

Something weird must have happened, cause I've never tasted something go off like that. It's definitely worth trying another bottle if you find one.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Kenning posted:

It's not just for you. Rittenhouse was easy to get for about 2 months after its release earlier this year, and now it's impossible to find for another 8 months or so. It's just because, as has been mentioned, Rittenhouse is cheap, and incredibly delicious.

I'd sooner drink Bulleit rye than Old Overholt, if those were my choices.

I just bought a bottle of Rittenhouse 100 in SF yesterday at Cask. I see that BevMo is completely sold out, though.

I made the rye/lemon/basil with demerara syrup in roughly a 2 oz rye/0.75 oz lemon/0.5 oz syrup ratio. Delicious--I might ease up on the syrup a bit next time, though.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

marmot25 posted:

I just bought a bottle of Rittenhouse 100 in SF yesterday at Cask. I see that BevMo is completely sold out, though.

I made the rye/lemon/basil with demerara syrup in roughly a 2 oz rye/0.75 oz lemon/0.5 oz syrup ratio. Delicious--I might ease up on the syrup a bit next time, though.

I used an ounce of simple and it was fine. How much more concentrated is demerara? I'm not familiar.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Booties posted:

I used an ounce of simple and it was fine. How much more concentrated is demerara? I'm not familiar.

It's 2:1, just like normal simple. I think I'm just used to a slightly more bitter cocktails with rye/citrus juice such as Paper Plane or (what I've been making recently) Last Words with rye/bourbon.

Since I have a ton of basil left I'll tinker with this a bit more tonight during my debate drinking.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

marmot25 posted:

It's 2:1, just like normal simple. I think I'm just used to a slightly more bitter cocktails with rye/citrus juice such as Paper Plane or (what I've been making recently) Last Words with rye/bourbon.

Since I have a ton of basil left I'll tinker with this a bit more tonight during my debate drinking.

....I do 1:1. I thought that was the new standard.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Yeah, I thought "normal" syrup was 1:1 and "rich" syrup was 2:1. At least that's how I've always made it.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

King Hotpants posted:

Yeah, I thought "normal" syrup was 1:1 and "rich" syrup was 2:1. At least that's how I've always made it.

Ah you're probably right. I can never remember so I usually google it whenever make a new batch. The demerara I make is definitely 2:1 though. :ms:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone got recommendations on a cucumber martini?

I've seen several recipes, some call for muddling, some for juicing. There are differing opinions on what variety of cucumber to use and whether to add a little simple syrup or not. Do you guys have any opinions?

Every single recipe calls for Hendrick's, though.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
I used to make those a really long time ago, it's been a while.

I muddled a handful of slices. I also liked throwing some parsley in the mix too.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ohio has stupid liquor laws and I need to buy some absinthe. I don't want to end up buying a lovely bottle, what are the brands I should be looking for.

Never going to drink it straight/dripped, need it for other cocktails.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I've had Pacifique which is quite nice and not outrageously expensive. You can read reviews from people seriously into absinthe here.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
The only recommendation you need is Mansinthe, the only Absinthe developed by Marilyn Manson...

I use Kuebler myself, but if it's just spritzes for Sazeracs you could also go with Pernod.

Engin3
Mar 5, 2012
I have herbsaint for sazeracs. so far it has served as a decent substitution for absinthe in other cocktails. it's also a lot cheaper than absinthe

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Klauser posted:

I used to make those a really long time ago, it's been a while.

I muddled a handful of slices. I also liked throwing some parsley in the mix too.

Try doing it with dill weed

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Engin3 posted:

I have herbsaint for sazeracs. so far it has served as a decent substitution for absinthe in other cocktails. it's also a lot cheaper than absinthe

Thanks, I was trying to find a way around spending $50 for a cocktail ingredient used to merely coat a glass.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Well, if you do invest in a $50-$60 bottle of absinthe the fact is it will last a long drat time, since what are you really gonna use absinthe for? Sazeracs, Corpse Revivers, maybe the occasional Obituary Cocktail. I personally think that's a worthwhile thing to keep in the bar, because, like something like Chartreuse, real absinthe makes a difference in a cocktail, and it sucks to not have it, even though it's pricey as gently caress.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Monkey glands are an excellent Absinthe cocktail.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Kenning posted:

Well, if you do invest in a $50-$60 bottle of absinthe the fact is it will last a long drat time

Absinthe Frappes. Did a bottle in an afternoon.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Kenning posted:

Corpse Reviver

Kenning posted:

Obituary Cocktail

I love absinthe and these all sound amazing. Can I have the recipes, please?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Half the fun of cocktails is in the name. I bought a bartending book and laughed my rear end off just scanning through the titles.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Steve Yun posted:

Half the fun of cocktails is in the name. I bought a bartending book and laughed my rear end off just scanning through the titles.
Read that on my phone as "titties", gonna add that to the inevitable book my generation produces.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

The Cuntsmasher, and other cocktail titties.

By Vegetable Melange.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I'm seeking advice on a punch for a party this weekend. It's for 10-15 people and there will probably be a good amount of other liquors and beers. I'd like to spend around $20-30. I like some of the punches Kenning has mentioned in this thread using fresh fruit to make syrup. The usual punch for this crowd is a mixture of vodka, sprite, and sherbert. If there is a punch that is bright or deep red that would be even better.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Speaking of fresh fruit, do you guys put cherries in with other things besides brandy? I was thinking about what dark rum might could do to black cherries.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, I'm a sucker for cocktails with ridiculous names. Anything like a zombie or a brain destroyer, etc will suck me in with no effort.

I also bought an old cocktail book recently (published in the late 90s but probably not updated since the 70s) and the cocktails are all hilariously pedestrian but have wildly imaginative names. Each section (vodka, gin, brandy, etc) is pretty much the same recipes but with the main ingredient changed as appropriate.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kenning posted:

Well, if you do invest in a $50-$60 bottle of absinthe the fact is it will last a long drat time, since what are you really gonna use absinthe for? Sazeracs, Corpse Revivers, maybe the occasional Obituary Cocktail. I personally think that's a worthwhile thing to keep in the bar, because, like something like Chartreuse, real absinthe makes a difference in a cocktail, and it sucks to not have it, even though it's pricey as gently caress.

I plan on getting a real bottle, mostly to rim or use in a splash. Have never drank much of it, doubt I'll every try it with a dip or anything. But I love Sazeracs and it looks like other cocktails I see with it I'll love as well, including the two you mentioned.

Going through that site though, the bottle I recognize that is in stock around my area is Lucid, which as I suspected by the look of the bottle, is very middle of the road and is around 70 dollars...

Hopefully the other bottle ends up being better when I can get over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

cyberia posted:

I love absinthe and these all sound amazing. Can I have the recipes, please?

Gin, orange juice, grenadine, absinthe. I do 2 parts gin to 1 part orange, a dash of grenadine, and a solid glug (or two, but no more than half the amount of orange juice) of absinthe. I could dig out what some of the cocktail books say tomorrow - I remember Dale DeGroff saying some fun stuff about it.